5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  LittleMissSophie on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:10 pm

animalluver wrote:It is important to validate your source in science because if you do not, you can be easily misled. If you just believe any thing you hear, you can get incorrect information. If you validate your source, then you will know for sure that the information you have is completely true.
It is important to look at both sides of an issue before you take a stance because in order to make an educated decision, you need to know as much information as possible. If you only know one side of an issue, your just following someone else's information, which can be laced with bias. The other side may also be bias, but at least, then you can form your own opinion after you know all the info.
It's easy to believe things that we see because many people are visual learners and literally believe seeing is believing. However, what we see isn't always what it seems. Though that sounds cliche, it's true because believing in something you see is all about how you personally percieve it. I might see something a different way than someone else, even though we're looking at the same thing.
The danger in not validating a source is stated above. If you never check up on whether or not what you hear is true, you are giving other people the power to control your thoughts and opinions. You need to know the true facts to know what you're talking about.
In terms of where I stand on whether or not we landed on the moon, I have always believed that we did in fact land on the moon, and I still feel that way. The MythBusters video truly supported everything I said in my previous post about the conspiracy video. I described how everything could possibly be explained and that is exactly what Mythbusters did. I said that I thought the flag was "fluttering" because it was moving from when the austronaut moved it around. I believed the footprints were legit.... Just because the moon has no moisture doesn't mean that there cannot be footprints; the ground material is completely different than that of the Earth. As for the way the astronauts walked, just because they COULD have slowed it down to look like it was low gravity didn't mean they DID. And in myth busters, they proved the actually low gravity feild was the only way the running looked legit.





I really agree with you on the seeing things make you believe more. When you look at something it may look different to others. Different people, different thoughts and perspective of things. One accident can have 12 stories on what happen. Without exact info no one would know what really happen.

LittleMissSophie

Posts : 19
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  LittleMissSophie on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:17 pm

londylou wrote:It is important to look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance for many reasons. For example, one might be looking at a biased piece of evidence. Also, the whole story might not be told. One side may leave out certain things that may contradict what they have to say to make their point seem more believable. It is extrememly easy to believe what we see because it is concrete instead of abstract. An idea (which is abstract) is harder to believe because it cant be seen, felt, etc. Whereas with something concrete, we analyze the information, and make a judgement based solely on our senses. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is the possiblility that you will look like an idiot. If a three year old came up to you and said that pigs were falling from the sky and you didnt ensure this piece of information's validity, you may possible believe it and spread it to others. Such happenings would probably cause mass pandemonium, all because you took the word of a toddler without having anything to back up what they said. After watching both videos, I still believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me. =)

-LondyLou



Agree! The whole story is never told when someone is trying to make a point. Important detail are somehow taken apart or the story is false from the beginning!

LittleMissSophie

Posts : 19
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  smiley11 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:The piece of moon hoax theory that I found most convincing would be the appearance of 2 light sources. They busted the myth and proved that shadows could seem unparalleled off of only one light source.

IV- Surface of the moon
DV- appearance of shadow angles
constants- the position of light, the strength of light source
procedure
-recreate a picture from the moon landing where shadowing seems unparalleled
-at first build the surface very simply
-then add more detail to the surface

Conclusions- Shadows can seem to be unparalleled due to the surface, even when there is only one light source.

I didn't believe it at first after watching that first video we watched then watching them put it together and try and do it I was like they are going to get the same result that the astrornauts got. They busted the myth and it boggled me, because according to the one guy who talked about how shadows looked in the first video I was conviced that it wasnt possible. According to myths busters trial, I think that it is possible that we went to the moon after all.
avatar
smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  whippersnappkid on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:17 pm

londylou wrote:It is important to look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance for many reasons. For example, one might be looking at a biased piece of evidence. Also, the whole story might not be told. One side may leave out certain things that may contradict what they have to say to make their point seem more believable. It is extrememly easy to believe what we see because it is concrete instead of abstract. An idea (which is abstract) is harder to believe because it cant be seen, felt, etc. Whereas with something concrete, we analyze the information, and make a judgement based solely on our senses. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is the possiblility that you will look like an idiot. If a three year old came up to you and said that pigs were falling from the sky and you didnt ensure this piece of information's validity, you may possible believe it and spread it to others. Such happenings would probably cause mass pandemonium, all because you took the word of a toddler without having anything to back up what they said. After watching both videos, I still believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me. =)

-LondyLou
Me and you both, I still beleive the moon landing was a hoax, both sides had evidence just not enough.
avatar
whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  whippersnappkid on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:23 pm

NorthStar wrote:Question:Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing?

Answer: I believe that its important to do your homework and look at both sides of the story is because if you dont study and breakdown both side of the Story. You will be persuade to one side of the story and you won't have all the fact. If you read an understand both sides of the story then, you can make your own opinion from all the fact on from the story. It's easy to believe what you see because, your eye's persuade you to believe everything your seeing is true. If you don't validate your research then your fact will be flawed then, your opinions from your research will be misleading and unaccredited. I really don't know if we landed on the moon or not. Theirs plenty of evidence to agree with both sides of the story. Unless NASA comes out to the public and make a statment saying they didn't land on the moom. Or made a video stating all the fact from both sides and proves to us will inconclusive evidence that we did land on the moon. I really will never know thats how i look at the situation.

You're right, we never really can know what truly happened, we would need to see it up close in person to know exactly what happened. Things in pictures and tv can be edited to make us believe anything.
avatar
whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:16 pm

londylou wrote:It is important to look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance for many reasons. For example, one might be looking at a biased piece of evidence. Also, the whole story might not be told. One side may leave out certain things that may contradict what they have to say to make their point seem more believable. It is extrememly easy to believe what we see because it is concrete instead of abstract. An idea (which is abstract) is harder to believe because it cant be seen, felt, etc. Whereas with something concrete, we analyze the information, and make a judgement based solely on our senses. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is the possiblility that you will look like an idiot. If a three year old came up to you and said that pigs were falling from the sky and you didnt ensure this piece of information's validity, you may possible believe it and spread it to others. Such happenings would probably cause mass pandemonium, all because you took the word of a toddler without having anything to back up what they said. After watching both videos, I still believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me. =)

-LondyLou

I totaly agree. You made a valid point about the toddler thing. It's like how the world is in pandemonium about the world possibly "ending" in 2012. Personally, I don't believe it. There are always three sides to every story: One side, another side, and the right side.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm

mexicanapplethief wrote:"2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance."

When thinking of a matter scientifically, you need to consider where the information is coming from, how it came to be, and why. It is important to think of the source of the data because all data is compiled by people like you and like me. This data is subject to two things, bias and human error. Most of the time we take a side immediately after taking information in, as is normal behavior. To make a more educated and fair response, we need to look at the conflicting arguments at hand in the subject matter. Imagine a problem with two perspectives, you can only choose one, to form a response someone needs to analyze the evidence of both sides and decide which data set is more feasible/logical. Normally people accept the information they look at so easily because they were raised in an educational system that promoted habits like this. The way our schools work concentrate less on a discussion style such as "Why?" and more on a style that enforces knowledge on you. Our thought patterns in school are comprised less of skepticism and more of observing and accepting all that is perceived as the infallible truth. If you do understand how sources of information come to be or where they are from, you are likely to make a poor reflection on problems. Imagine someone on the sidewalk told you the world was going to end and they needed cash more than you do. You can either give them your money or you can do what any reasonable person would do, ignore them. Why is that? You would normally remain skeptical because you can't just trust some random stranger. Well then why do you trust the TV? The men and women that work on TV programs aren't your close acquaintances are they? As far as the moon landing conspiracy goes, I remain firm in the idea that NASA did land on the moon. There is more evidence that can be disproved in less ways coming from NASA's official opinion than there is of the mixed responses of the several ill-informed conspiracy supporters. It's easy to criticize, but very difficult to prove. We all know, in many cases, the greatest defense is a good offense. The same rules apply when arguing over problems such as this. It is very easy to attack a view, but the choice that is more complex and hard to defend is, sadly more often than not, the correct opinion in an argument.
Cool

Ha ha, your "close acquaintance thing is quite funny. Everyone always likes to say how they believe something happened because "They" said it happened. By the way, who is the THEY everyone refers to. "THEY say,blah blah blah" They say This, THEY say that. Who the heck is the they? Anywho, People should only base their decisions on what they THEMSELVES believe.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  londylou on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm

[quote="mexicanapplethief"]"To make a more educated and fair response, we need to look at the conflicting arguments at hand in the subject matter. Imagine a problem with two perspectives, you can only choose one, to form a response someone needs to analyze the evidence of both sides and decide which data set is more feasible/logical. Normally people accept the information they look at so easily because they were raised in an educational system that promoted habits like this. The way our schools work concentrate less on a discussion style such as "Why?" and more on a style that enforces knowledge on you. Our thought patterns in school are comprised less of skepticism and more of observing and accepting all that is perceived as the infallible truth. If you do understand how sources of information come to be or where they are from, you are likely to make a poor reflection on problems."


I totally agree with you on the school thing. Most regular level classes just give you the information and expect you to accept and understand it, and never question it. This is unfortunate because most people in the school are at the regular class level. The select few of us that are above average are very lucky and privileged to be in honors classes that actually make you think analytically about why something happened and not just soak up the information without deeply thinking about it.


Last edited by londylou on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot their name!)

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  londylou on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:13 pm

NorthStar wrote:Question:Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing?

I really don't know if we landed on the moon or not. Theirs plenty of evidence to agree with both sides of the story. Unless NASA comes out to the public and make a statment saying they didn't land on the moom. Or made a video stating all the fact from both sides and proves to us will inconclusive evidence that we did land on the moon. I really will never know thats how i look at the situation.

I feel the exact same way about this. Before I watched the first video, I didnt think they did, after I watched it I didnt think they did, but now since watching the mythbusters I'm more open minded, but still leaning towards the "I dont think so" side. Really, even if NASA did make a video that proves that they actually landed, who's to say that its valid? That video could be made up. We could never truly know the story behind the whole moon landing thing because we werent there. The did they do it or not thing is just a ball of confusion. scratch

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 am

whatitdochickado wrote:
To get a point across you need to make it believeable. That's why experiments are performed to see if the subject is proof of what a scientist is supporting. We need to look over every factor in every situation, like in MYTH BUSTERS. For example they performed the moon-foot-print imitation on two different kinds of material, one that was plain dry sand and the other was a material similar to the kind on the moon. The kind similar to the moon was proven to be more effective, and made a foot print. So that was some proof that we landed on the moon. Everything we see is so easy to believe because we are all not the brightest and we are gullible. No matter how we see it, we don't always think everything through to the best answer. Sorry if that was kind of rude, im speaking more about myself as gullible than anyone else. Haha. But you have to admit, in some cases that is true. If you don't do your research and get the wrong and you will never get your point across and no one will listen to what you have to say unless you come up with a proof that outshines the pervious one. Soooooo, after watching both videos, MYTH BUSTERS has shown me the light. haha. When I watched the first video, I seriously thought we hadn't landed on the moon, but I am really really reallllyyy gullible. tongue But the one experiment that had proven to me that we had landed was the gravitational pull in the plane. They tested every way that our moon creepers had traveled on the moon they had tried and with that they found it really worked... So once again, as I did before, I believe we landed on the moon. So yeahh, night.

I agree with you that we are pretty gullible(some more than others).Not knowing as much on a subject affects how easily you are pursuaded.Both videos were very pursuasive and gave alot of information to back up their opinions.But because i don't know much and havn't really done research on the moon landing I am very confused on what to believe. *nighty nite! Sleep

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am

snookieluvs2tan wrote:It is important to have the validity of a source in science because not all sources are trustworthy. For example, you could read an "article" on Wikipedia, and totally believe it. But, wikipedia is NOT a credible source. It is very important to look at both sides of an argument because one can become easliy persuaded without a thorough look at what is being presented. It's sort of like buying a car, without shopping around and seeing better prices for the same car, or like picking a college based on what it looks like. As humans, we are easliy decieved because of what is appealing to the eye. I'm sure that after seeing the myth busters video, we all feel like we truly don't know where we stand on the moon hoax issue. It's dangerous to not do research to validate a source because it can lead to lawsuits, and even extreme discredibility. After watching both videos, I think we did land on the moon, just under very strange circumstances. It was proved that the flag could have waved in a vacuum ( the moon), pictures and shadows can appear misleading due to different light sources, and footprints CAN be made in vacuums.



I completely agree with what you are saying.. I was easily pursuaded after watching the first video but after seeing that watching mythbusters could easily change my opinion, maybe i need to do research on my own to decide what I want to believe! I surely don't know what to think after watching mythbusters. Both videos are very believable ,but thats their goal. Even if some information was untrue. Question confused

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  animalluver on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:QUESTION: Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

To get a point across you need to make it believeable. That's why experiments are performed to see if the subject is proof of what a scientist is supporting. We need to look over every factor in every situation, like in MYTH BUSTERS. For example they performed the moon-foot-print imitation on two different kinds of material, one that was plain dry sand and the other was a material similar to the kind on the moon. The kind similar to the moon was proven to be more effective, and made a foot print. So that was some proof that we landed on the moon. Everything we see is so easy to believe because we are all not the brightest and we are gullible. No matter how we see it, we don't always think everything through to the best answer. Sorry if that was kind of rude, im speaking more about myself as gullible than anyone else. Haha. But you have to admit, in some cases that is true. If you don't do your research and get the wrong and you will never get your point across and no one will listen to what you have to say unless you come up with a proof that outshines the pervious one. Soooooo, after watching both videos, MYTH BUSTERS has shown me the light. haha. When I watched the first video, I seriously thought we hadn't landed on the moon, but I am really really reallllyyy gullible. tongue But the one experiment that had proven to me that we had landed was the gravitational pull in the plane. They tested every way that our moon creepers had traveled on the moon they had tried and with that they found it really worked... So once again, as I did before, I believe we landed on the moon. So yeahh, night.

I understand why the moon hoax video made you question what you believe, but you need to take your own advise and question your sources. If you understand that you need to see both sides of a situation, it will help at fixing the gulibility problem Smile (Not tryin to be mean). I agree with you though that we did land on the moon. They did test everything, so that helps you believe it. However, its the same thing with them, in the way that you should make sure they are a reliable source, because with all the equipment and special effects, they could digital program anything. Just a thought Very Happy

animalluver

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  animalluver on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:07 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:It's sort of like buying a car, without shopping around and seeing better prices for the same car, or like picking a college based on what it looks like. As humans, we are easliy decieved because of what is appealing to the eye.


I totally agree with you. Everyone is superficial when it comes to what they think and believe. Many people think "seeing is believing." However, this is not always true. Like you said, humans are easily decieved because of what is appealing to the eye. People see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe.... But people should think about this fact: humans are the only creatures that can think critically; that is the beauty of our species. We should use that to our advantage, rather than live in petty denial or ignorance of what really is. Because "seeing" isn't always "believing." That is why we have four other senses, plus a brain! Smile

animalluver

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum