5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:47 am

Watch the Mythbusters video where they attempt to use science to bust the theory of the moon hoax. Reflect on the video and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.

2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 1 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 3 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

la la la la

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm

QUESTION: Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

To get a point across you need to make it believeable. That's why experiments are performed to see if the subject is proof of what a scientist is supporting. We need to look over every factor in every situation, like in MYTH BUSTERS. For example they performed the moon-foot-print imitation on two different kinds of material, one that was plain dry sand and the other was a material similar to the kind on the moon. The kind similar to the moon was proven to be more effective, and made a foot print. So that was some proof that we landed on the moon. Everything we see is so easy to believe because we are all not the brightest and we are gullible. No matter how we see it, we don't always think everything through to the best answer. Sorry if that was kind of rude, im speaking more about myself as gullible than anyone else. Haha. But you have to admit, in some cases that is true. If you don't do your research and get the wrong and you will never get your point across and no one will listen to what you have to say unless you come up with a proof that outshines the pervious one. Soooooo, after watching both videos, MYTH BUSTERS has shown me the light. haha. When I watched the first video, I seriously thought we hadn't landed on the moon, but I am really really reallllyyy gullible. tongue But the one experiment that had proven to me that we had landed was the gravitational pull in the plane. They tested every way that our moon creepers had traveled on the moon they had tried and with that they found it really worked... So once again, as I did before, I believe we landed on the moon. So yeahh, night.

whatitdochickado

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Communistkid on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 pm

2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

Without double checking a sources validity we end up with facts like the earth is flat or the the earth is at the center of the earth. When we didn't travel around the world or, think about how did the much bigger sun revolve around the smaller earth we end up just accepting it and making huge mistakes. If we would just blindly accept what a certain church says and not trust a certain famous astrologer we would all be blind to certain facts. We landed on the moon plain and simple. The countless conspirators theories are a stretch and many have been dis proven including ones we wouldn't be able to fake on the earth.

Communistkid

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  earthycolors on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 pm

QUESTION: Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

ANSWER: Determining the validity of a source in science is important because it might not be entirely true and if you believe it without really checking, you could be believing B.S.. Its is important for us to look at both sides at an issue before taking a stance because if you believe one side without looking at the other side first, then you look at the other side of the issue and start believing that side, it makes you look hypocritical and wishy-washy. It is easy to believe things we see because we tend to listen to what we see more than what we know. For example, if I know Jesus isn't real (i think he is) and he reveals himself to me, most people will automatically start believing that he is real. The danger in not researching the validity of a source is: 1. you might believe something that is entirely false. 2. you might believe the other side more than the original side after you finally research it. After seeing this video, I'm again leaning towards the widely known fact that we did go to the moon. Whats getting me now is i'm wondering why we haven't been to the moon since the original 11 missions 40 years ago. But besides that, the mythbusters video really put things into perspective.

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  earthycolors on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Communistkid wrote:2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

Without double checking a sources validity we end up with facts like the earth is flat or the the earth is at the center of the earth. When we didn't travel around the world or, think about how did the much bigger sun revolve around the smaller earth we end up just accepting it and making huge mistakes. If we would just blindly accept what a certain church says and not trust a certain famous astrologer we would all be blind to certain facts. We landed on the moon plain and simple. The countless conspirators theories are a stretch and many have been dis proven including ones we wouldn't be able to fake on the earth.

I concur. If we openly, yet gullibly believe anything we see, we'll end up thinking all sorts of crazy stuff that isn't true like the earth being flat. The same goes to believing something we see on the internet before we actually research it on the world wide web. I kinda feel like I was lied to by these people. But they don't know either. I forgot that the moon has a whole different picture than earth. Like the fact that the moon has dirt that has rough edges that stick together, which as how buzz's footprint could stick. And the illusion of the shadows on the moon.

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  earthycolors on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:QUESTION: Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

To get a point across you need to make it believeable. That's why experiments are performed to see if the subject is proof of what a scientist is supporting. We need to look over every factor in every situation, like in MYTH BUSTERS. For example they performed the moon-foot-print imitation on two different kinds of material, one that was plain dry sand and the other was a material similar to the kind on the moon. The kind similar to the moon was proven to be more effective, and made a foot print. So that was some proof that we landed on the moon. Everything we see is so easy to believe because we are all not the brightest and we are gullible. No matter how we see it, we don't always think everything through to the best answer. Sorry if that was kind of rude, im speaking more about myself as gullible than anyone else. Haha. But you have to admit, in some cases that is true. If you don't do your research and get the wrong and you will never get your point across and no one will listen to what you have to say unless you come up with a proof that outshines the pervious one. Soooooo, after watching both videos, MYTH BUSTERS has shown me the light. haha. When I watched the first video, I seriously thought we hadn't landed on the moon, but I am really really reallllyyy gullible. tongue But the one experiment that had proven to me that we had landed was the gravitational pull in the plane. They tested every way that our moon creepers had traveled on the moon they had tried and with that they found it really worked... So once again, as I did before, I believe we landed on the moon. So yeahh, night.

I second that. We are so easy to manipulate that all we need is to see something and we automatically believe it unless it's complete and utter B.S.. But the point I'm trying to make is that we need to be more prepared for stuff that's gonna be thrown at us like that and we just can't absorb everything we are told like a brand new sponge. I forget that we have brains too and we have the awesome internet to prove theories like that false, or true. But i agree with everything you said.

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Initial Post

Post  mexicanapplethief on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 pm

"2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance."

When thinking of a matter scientifically, you need to consider where the information is coming from, how it came to be, and why. It is important to think of the source of the data because all data is compiled by people like you and like me. This data is subject to two things, bias and human error. Most of the time we take a side immediately after taking information in, as is normal behavior. To make a more educated and fair response, we need to look at the conflicting arguments at hand in the subject matter. Imagine a problem with two perspectives, you can only choose one, to form a response someone needs to analyze the evidence of both sides and decide which data set is more feasible/logical. Normally people accept the information they look at so easily because they were raised in an educational system that promoted habits like this. The way our schools work concentrate less on a discussion style such as "Why?" and more on a style that enforces knowledge on you. Our thought patterns in school are comprised less of skepticism and more of observing and accepting all that is perceived as the infallible truth. If you do understand how sources of information come to be or where they are from, you are likely to make a poor reflection on problems. Imagine someone on the sidewalk told you the world was going to end and they needed cash more than you do. You can either give them your money or you can do what any reasonable person would do, ignore them. Why is that? You would normally remain skeptical because you can't just trust some random stranger. Well then why do you trust the TV? The men and women that work on TV programs aren't your close acquaintances are they? As far as the moon landing conspiracy goes, I remain firm in the idea that NASA did land on the moon. There is more evidence that can be disproved in less ways coming from NASA's official opinion than there is of the mixed responses of the several ill-informed conspiracy supporters. It's easy to criticize, but very difficult to prove. We all know, in many cases, the greatest defense is a good offense. The same rules apply when arguing over problems such as this. It is very easy to attack a view, but the choice that is more complex and hard to defend is, sadly more often than not, the correct opinion in an argument.
Cool

mexicanapplethief

Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Love Mythbusters!

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:07 pm

1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.


The most convincing part of the moon hoax theory was the clarity of the footprint. The Mythbusters put a moonboot on and then stepped into a container of regular beach sand, as that is the closest thing in similiarities to the surface of the moon. They then stepped into a container of moistened sand. The print was a lot clearer. The Mythbusters then put sand into a vacuum chamber and made a print. This process showed that you could in fact obtain a clear footprint as the one made on the moon. The independent variable would be the conditions of the sand such as it being moistened and then it being in the vacuum chamber. The dependent variable would be the clarity of the footprint. The constants were the kind of sand and the person making the footprint.



20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Values Of Evidence

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:31 pm

It is important to have the validity of a source in science because not all sources are trustworthy. For example, you could read an "article" on Wikipedia, and totally believe it. But, wikipedia is NOT a credible source. It is very important to look at both sides of an argument because one can become easliy persuaded without a thorough look at what is being presented. It's sort of like buying a car, without shopping around and seeing better prices for the same car, or like picking a college based on what it looks like. As humans, we are easliy decieved because of what is appealing to the eye. I'm sure that after seeing the myth busters video, we all feel like we truly don't know where we stand on the moon hoax issue. It's dangerous to not do research to validate a source because it can lead to lawsuits, and even extreme discredibility. After watching both videos, I think we did land on the moon, just under very strange circumstances. It was proved that the flag could have waved in a vacuum ( the moon), pictures and shadows can appear misleading due to different light sources, and footprints CAN be made in vacuums.


snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BUSTED!

Post  Hollywood on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Question: 1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.

The one piece of the moon hoax theory that I found to be the most convincing is when they showed how the astronaunt could still be bright even when he was in the shadows. They busted this hoax by figuring out the effect of the reflection of moon dust on the brightness os the austronaut. The IV was the amount of moon dust and the brightness of the Sun. The DV was the brightness of the astronaut. The constants were the astronaut, position of astronaut, position of shuttle, and position of the sun.First they occupied dust that would give off the same reflection as moon dust. Second, they created a duplicate of the picture of the astronaut with a toy and a hand built set of the moon. They then measured out the right positions of the astronaut, shuttle, and the "sun" so that it looked just like the "faked" picture. They then covered the room with black paper so that the only light source would have been the "sun". They then took pictures and busted the hoax saying that the only way the astronaut could be as bright as he was, is to have a second light source. They concluded that you DONT need a second light source on the moon to have made the astronaut that bright because moon dust is reflective and reflected the light from the sun back onto the astronaut. BUSTED!!!!

Hollywood

Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

homework

Post  Love_Muffins on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 pm

1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.


The moon hoax theory i believed the most was the pictures with the astronauts fully lit. The mythbusters tried to prove that the dust was reflecting the sunlight back onto them. The IV is the moon dust. The DV is the sunlight reflexed back onto the astronauts. The constants is the light soure, the placements of the models.
The mythbuster made an dirt that was close to the dirt that is found on the moon. The Black out the suroundings so that no other light source could be a factor. Then the place the figures in the same place the astronaut and space craft "thing" was in the picture tooken on the moon. They spread the powder around the set and placed the lamp "sunlight" in the right spot. Next they took a picture using a camera that is close to the carmera that they used on the moon. finally they compared the two pictures. In conclusion the proved that the moon dust is a possible variable for the astronaut clear appearance.

Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Love_Muffins on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Hollywood wrote:Question: 1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.

The one piece of the moon hoax theory that I found to be the most convincing is when they showed how the astronaunt could still be bright even when he was in the shadows. They busted this hoax by figuring out the effect of the reflection of moon dust on the brightness os the austronaut. The IV was the amount of moon dust and the brightness of the Sun. The DV was the brightness of the astronaut. The constants were the astronaut, position of astronaut, position of shuttle, and position of the sun.First they occupied dust that would give off the same reflection as moon dust. Second, they created a duplicate of the picture of the astronaut with a toy and a hand built set of the moon. They then measured out the right positions of the astronaut, shuttle, and the "sun" so that it looked just like the "faked" picture. They then covered the room with black paper so that the only light source would have been the "sun". They then took pictures and busted the hoax saying that the only way the astronaut could be as bright as he was, is to have a second light source. They concluded that you DONT need a second light source on the moon to have made the astronaut that bright because moon dust is reflective and reflected the light from the sun back onto the astronaut. BUSTED!!!!


I also think that it was busted. The picture was a prefect match to the fake pic

Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Flag waving

Post  smiley11 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 pm

IV:Presence of vacuum
DV:Whether flag will wave
Constants:flag and how much you wave it
Detailed Procedure:The MythBusters first am American flag and went to a space center in Alabama. the first test that they did is the flag waving in the earth's atmosphere. When Grant waved it and stopped, the movemvent of the flag stopped immediatly. They ran the test again but this time the presents of the vacuum was there, Grant waved it again and when he stopped, the flag kept waving for another 15 sec.
Conclusion: this myth was busted and there is a chance that NASA actually did land astrornauts on the moon's surface.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lo siento, pero no tengo mucho decir

Post  londylou on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 pm

It is important to look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance for many reasons. For example, one might be looking at a biased piece of evidence. Also, the whole story might not be told. One side may leave out certain things that may contradict what they have to say to make their point seem more believable. It is extrememly easy to believe what we see because it is concrete instead of abstract. An idea (which is abstract) is harder to believe because it cant be seen, felt, etc. Whereas with something concrete, we analyze the information, and make a judgement based solely on our senses. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is the possiblility that you will look like an idiot. If a three year old came up to you and said that pigs were falling from the sky and you didnt ensure this piece of information's validity, you may possible believe it and spread it to others. Such happenings would probably cause mass pandemonium, all because you took the word of a toddler without having anything to back up what they said. After watching both videos, I still believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me. =)

-LondyLou

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

There's an explanation for everyting.

Post  animalluver on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 pm

It is important to validate your source in science because if you do not, you can be easily misled. If you just believe any thing you hear, you can get incorrect information. If you validate your source, then you will know for sure that the information you have is completely true.
It is important to look at both sides of an issue before you take a stance because in order to make an educated decision, you need to know as much information as possible. If you only know one side of an issue, your just following someone else's information, which can be laced with bias. The other side may also be bias, but at least, then you can form your own opinion after you know all the info.
It's easy to believe things that we see because many people are visual learners and literally believe seeing is believing. However, what we see isn't always what it seems. Though that sounds cliche, it's true because believing in something you see is all about how you personally percieve it. I might see something a different way than someone else, even though we're looking at the same thing.
The danger in not validating a source is stated above. If you never check up on whether or not what you hear is true, you are giving other people the power to control your thoughts and opinions. You need to know the true facts to know what you're talking about.
In terms of where I stand on whether or not we landed on the moon, I have always believed that we did in fact land on the moon, and I still feel that way. The MythBusters video truly supported everything I said in my previous post about the conspiracy video. I described how everything could possibly be explained and that is exactly what Mythbusters did. I said that I thought the flag was "fluttering" because it was moving from when the austronaut moved it around. I believed the footprints were legit.... Just because the moon has no moisture doesn't mean that there cannot be footprints; the ground material is completely different than that of the Earth. As for the way the astronauts walked, just because they COULD have slowed it down to look like it was low gravity didn't mean they DID. And in myth busters, they proved the actually low gravity feild was the only way the running looked legit.

animalluver

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  LittleMissSophie on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:29 pm

In MythBusters they took all parts of america being the first on the moon. I choose to talk about the flag still in motion on the moon. myth busters tested a flag in atmosphere and then in a atmosphere free chamber. They tested out the theory out as accurate as possibles since there was not going to be special trip to the moon just to find out! The i.v. in this theory was the atmosphere. The d.v. was the movement of the flag. The constants were the flag and and the flag stance. Mythbusters built a flag pole to test the theory. tested the flag in both areas by taking the flag to a pressure like chamber and forcing the flag to move then watching to see what happens next. The flag moves more in the chamber than in the open. Proving that the flag on the moon can wave without atmosphere.

LittleMissSophie

Posts : 19
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Myth busters

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 pm

The piece of moon hoax theory that I found most convincing would be the appearance of 2 light sources. They busted the myth and proved that shadows could seem unparalleled off of only one light source.

IV- Surface of the moon
DV- appearance of shadow angles
constants- the position of light, the strength of light source
procedure
-recreate a picture from the moon landing where shadowing seems unparalleled
-at first build the surface very simply
-then add more detail to the surface

Conclusions- Shadows can seem to be unparalleled due to the surface, even when there is only one light source.

whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply: Mythbuster Disscussion

Post  NorthStar on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 am

Question:Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing?

Answer: I believe that its important to do your homework and look at both sides of the story is because if you dont study and breakdown both side of the Story. You will be persuade to one side of the story and you won't have all the fact. If you read an understand both sides of the story then, you can make your own opinion from all the fact on from the story. It's easy to believe what you see because, your eye's persuade you to believe everything your seeing is true. If you don't validate your research then your fact will be flawed then, your opinions from your research will be misleading and unaccredited. I really don't know if we landed on the moon or not. Theirs plenty of evidence to agree with both sides of the story. Unless NASA comes out to the public and make a statment saying they didn't land on the moom. Or made a video stating all the fact from both sides and proves to us will inconclusive evidence that we did land on the moon. I really will never know thats how i look at the situation.

NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Babycat is the BOMB like the one that destroyed hiroshima

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24 am

Question1
The most convincing piece of the moon hoax theory was how the flag was moving on the moon. The Mythbusters busted this part of the hoax by using a vacuum and and a direct replica of the flag on the moon and seeing how movement of the flag was affected by the amount of gravity being forced on it. The IV is amount of gravity on the flag and the DV is the movement of the flag. Two constants are using the same flag and the same vacuum to figure out the evidence. First, put the flag in a vacuum at regular gravity, shake the flag to see how much it waves, record data, then change the gravity to that of the moon (none), shake the flag to see how much it waves, record data and then compare the two pieces of data. The Mythbusters concluded that the moon landing was not a hoax based on the evidence of the flag shaking.

FounderofGFFandBabycat

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ON THE FENCE

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:34 am

2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

In science it is very important to have correct information from a valid source. When you don't know much about a subject it can be harder for you to tell whether the info you're geting is right or wrong. You base your opinion off of what you already know. By researching both sides of a situation you see both views and why people have these views and you see the information they have to back them up. Also you further educate yourself and have more reasoning behind your opinion. When someone is trying to persuade you to believe something they will always back it up with facts. Because you don't know much about the subject, you easily believe what you see . It sounds pretty acurate so you go along with it. If you don't make sure the info you have is correct you can be lead to believe something that is untrue. As to the moon landing though, I am completly confused on what to believe. Mythbusters tested and proved that the reasons we had to believe NASA didn't go to the moon were invalid. But at the same time the government had many reasons to fake the moon landing. Maybe they just wanted be first or maybe they wanted the money. How do we know the mythbusters isn't a hoax?? This has me so confused. On the fence Question confused Question confused

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  smiley11 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:
The moon hoax theory i believed the most was the pictures with the astronauts fully lit. The mythbusters tried to prove that the dust was reflecting the sunlight back onto them. The IV is the moon dust. The DV is the sunlight reflexed back onto the astronauts. The constants is the light soure, the placements of the models.
The mythbuster made an dirt that was close to the dirt that is found on the moon. The Black out the suroundings so that no other light source could be a factor. Then the place the figures in the same place the astronaut and space craft "thing" was in the picture tooken on the moon. They spread the powder around the set and placed the lamp "sunlight" in the right spot. Next they took a picture using a camera that is close to the carmera that they used on the moon. finally they compared the two pictures. In conclusion the proved that the moon dust is a possible variable for the astronaut clear appearance.

I didn't believe at first that you could get a brightly lit astrornaut on the moon in the darkness besides the sun. They proved that it can be done, which is impressive.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm

earthycolors wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:QUESTION: Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

To get a point across you need to make it believeable. That's why experiments are performed to see if the subject is proof of what a scientist is supporting. We need to look over every factor in every situation, like in MYTH BUSTERS. For example they performed the moon-foot-print imitation on two different kinds of material, one that was plain dry sand and the other was a material similar to the kind on the moon. The kind similar to the moon was proven to be more effective, and made a foot print. So that was some proof that we landed on the moon. Everything we see is so easy to believe because we are all not the brightest and we are gullible. No matter how we see it, we don't always think everything through to the best answer. Sorry if that was kind of rude, im speaking more about myself as gullible than anyone else. Haha. But you have to admit, in some cases that is true. If you don't do your research and get the wrong and you will never get your point across and no one will listen to what you have to say unless you come up with a proof that outshines the pervious one. Soooooo, after watching both videos, MYTH BUSTERS has shown me the light. haha. When I watched the first video, I seriously thought we hadn't landed on the moon, but I am really really reallllyyy gullible. tongue But the one experiment that had proven to me that we had landed was the gravitational pull in the plane. They tested every way that our moon creepers had traveled on the moon they had tried and with that they found it really worked... So once again, as I did before, I believe we landed on the moon. So yeahh, night.

I second that. We are so easy to manipulate that all we need is to see something and we automatically believe it unless it's complete and utter B.S.. But the point I'm trying to make is that we need to be more prepared for stuff that's gonna be thrown at us like that and we just can't absorb everything we are told like a brand new sponge. I forget that we have brains too and we have the awesome internet to prove theories like that false, or true. But i agree with everything you said.

agreed. [: you pretty much said everything else i forgot to say. hah. no one ever really is prepared for something to jumpput of no where. ex: we didn't land on the moon? and when there are a ton of poeple backing it up, we automatically believe what we see.

whatitdochickado

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:Question1
The most convincing piece of the moon hoax theory was how the flag was moving on the moon. The Mythbusters busted this part of the hoax by using a vacuum and and a direct replica of the flag on the moon and seeing how movement of the flag was affected by the amount of gravity being forced on it. The IV is amount of gravity on the flag and the DV is the movement of the flag. Two constants are using the same flag and the same vacuum to figure out the evidence. First, put the flag in a vacuum at regular gravity, shake the flag to see how much it waves, record data, then change the gravity to that of the moon (none), shake the flag to see how much it waves, record data and then compare the two pieces of data. The Mythbusters concluded that the moon landing was not a hoax based on the evidence of the flag shaking.

{: i like how you write! every piece that you included is something i would say. they definately had me thinking everything over like a trillion times.

whatitdochickado

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You go um girl or boy lol

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 am

londylou wrote: Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me. =)-LondyLou
I really like that you have a strong stance on how you feel because some poeple were just like well what the heck i guess since they proved that the flag can wave on the moon then just forget the other evidence of it being possible of a hoax. Although I do believe they landed on the moon you do make a valid point.

FounderofGFFandBabycat

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Point of View

Post  penguin94 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 pm

After watching both videos, I still believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Yes, a few situations were found to be explainable, but it was not enough to sway me.

I agree with you on some points. Both sides had evidence to prove their theories, but not all of the evidence can be found or proven. I believe that in this case, to believe or not believe that it was a hoax is based on which side you thought explained their evidence the more fully. I for one believe that it was not a hoax, but that does not mean that i approve fully of everything said.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board #2 - Mythbusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum