5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 pm

earthycolors wrote:
20north_star12 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
I think that science is not dangerous. Nothing is actually dangerous. It depends on how the thing is used and by whom it is used. If science is used to cure disease, then it is good. If science is used to annhilate countries, then it is bad.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
I don't think that I would really care because in the book people are conditioned to love their class and not really hate other ones. They are taught that their class is the best, but other classes are better. I think that this is similar to our society in that we are of different social standing, but not in that we are taught to respect people of other social standings.

I concur with half of your post. Science isn't good or bad, it depends on the people doing the science and using it. It can easily be turned into weapons and be used in war in the forms of Nukes or Atom bombs, or it can be transformed into the cure for cancer.
But, I don;t think it would be so good if people were conditioned before birth (i guess if you call it that since they grow in a surrogate) to be what ever they choose them to be for their whole life and they can't change what they wanna do. I mean sure they're supposed to love their class, but that doesn't always happen, and that's why there is soma. I personally think that people should be born to choose whatever job or career thay want to do in life.



Yeah, we're not taught to respect people of different social standings, but it is kind of a given to do so. People would automatically respect someone who is a doctor, rather than someone who is working at McDonalds. Even though it isnt taught, it kinda is a given.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm

soccergal93 wrote:
animalluver wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
.

1. Science isn't necessarily dangerous to modern society in terms of death or anything like that, but a danger to society as we know it. Look at the way science has progressed in the last 50 or so years. Life spans have increased and fertility treatments have increased the birth rates. This is dangerous to society because it will quicken the rate at which our population reaches its carrying capacity. This is bad. In addition, with positive new science and technology, there are always those that abuse it. For example, let's say for argument purposes they find a cure for cancer that can be taken as a pill capsul. There will be people that will pop this pill to get high rather than because their sick. That would be harmful to one's health.

2. It all depends on what social class you're on. For example, as an Alpha, you are taught that you are the best. It is ingrained in your mind that you are superior to the other social groups, and thus, you wouldn't see anything wrong with treatments of other groups. If you are an epsilon, you see it as unfair. However, you are also taught that this is the way things are, and you wouldn't question it. This can be applied to today's society. Americans have it good. We are selfish and indulgent. We eat the most delicious though unhealthiest foods, throw away money on stupid things, and, if you're like me, buy way too many pairs of shoes. However, African's are poor. They live on less than a dollar a day. And yet, many American's don't do a thing about it. That's how we were taught to behave. We were taught to worry only about ourselves in a capitalist society.



I like the situations you created to express your feelings. Like to point out that we abuse some of the advances science has offered us, or could offer us, like your idea of a cure for cancer, and that can be dangerous to our modern society. In your response to the second question, I like the comparison you made between the way Americans today live and the way people in Africa might live today, to point out that there are similarities between our world and the Brave New World. When you said "that's how we're taught to behave" this is something that would made a reader who read the book understand the comparison you made on another level, the irony is in the word "taught" because the society in the book was trained almost like animals to have a certain opinion about things, but in our society, we just look upon the ones who we're raised around and base our opinions on the level of concern that we observe them having for certain matters. Good answer to both quesitons.




I dont like how you use Africans as the poster child for hunger, need and want. There are PLENTY of people right here in your own country, as well as other countries around the world who have the same problem. And you shouldnt use Africa as a unified voice, when Africa is a continent, not one country. And South Africa isn't like that. There are plenty of wealthy people who live there, but Im not saying there arent homeless/sick people who live there either. I think that if you want to give an example, watch what you say, and how you use African, because they arent the scapegoat for everything that is wrong in the world.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  smiley11 on Thu May 26, 2011 2:48 pm

20north_star12 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
I think that science is not dangerous. Nothing is actually dangerous. It depends on how the thing is used and by whom it is used. If science is used to cure disease, then it is good. If science is used to annhilate countries, then it is bad.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
I don't think that I would really care because in the book people are conditioned to love their class and not really hate other ones. They are taught that their class is the best, but other classes are better. I think that this is similar to our society in that we are of different social standing, but not in that we are taught to respect people of other social standings.

I agree with everything that you stated. Science isn't dangerous unless its used to cure diseases or cancer. But it can be dangerous if trying to clone things. I wouldn't care either. We would have been conditioned to not care about anyone if they weren't in our caste system.
avatar
smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

LAST DISCUSSION BOARD :'(

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 pm

1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

I think science is dangerous to society but very neccessary. It really depends on how its used. It can be used make dangerous weapns, alter people's DNA or anything that could possilbly kill us. But at the same time science is what we need to progress in life and develop new things. Without science we wouldn't have the cures we need to keep people alive and have many of the things we have today.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
If I were an Alpha or Beta I would do the same thing people do now when they see other social groups being treated differently. I would be greatful that I'm treated better or have a better life but I would still feel bad for them.I think I might feel like maybe I need to get a group of people and get the director to stop making people where they they have no choice of what they want to be in life and stop the mistreatment. In our society there are people who live their lives and feel sorry for the groups of people mistreated and other people form groups to stop it. So I think in many ways this is the same in our society. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
----- I feel like it can be. Because people are using science towards all the wrong ideas, such as plastic surgery and doing stuffs to enhance yourself. some people are even trying to improve their own children before they are born. YOU ARE BORN THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, SO LEAVE IT AT THAT. sure it makes you look better/feel better, but are you actually thinking of the consequences when this goes wrong? why would you want to put yourself into harms way, you were made the way you are for a reason. why change that? Question Question

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
----- If I was an Alpha or a Beta and knew how other social groups were treated I don't know if i'd care. Because in the society in the group no emotions were connected to another person. it was all people, everybody was everyones. not one person "cared" for another as we do today in our society. But if i was able to enter the society in Brave New World and keep my way of thinking, i would try to change how the lower caste systems were treated. I feel that everyone should have to work equally. it is only fair.

Reading your response made me kinda wanna rethink my answer because I said I would feel bad for tthe others.Even though thats true for real life like you said , in the book people didn't really care about each other or have feelings.But I do agree that everyone should have to work equally and that the caste systems should be eliminated. Razz

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 pm

londylou wrote:1. Yes, science is dangerous to modern society because once people get a little power, they wont want to stop. With technology improving at such a high rate, almost anything is possible now. Some scientists are already trying to find a cure for aging, next they're gonna try to bring back the dead! Its like getting a new game. At first, you're not exactly sure how to play it but as you play more and more, it gets much easier. When it gets easier, its more enjoyable and pretty soon you start to love it. When you love it, its the only thing you want to do and you continue to learn more about it and may even use cheat codes. Its only dangerous because once people figure out how to do something they want to do more and more and things get out of hand.

2. Not to sound selfish, but if I were an Alpha or Beta, I probably would care about the Deltas and Epsions, but not that much. In BNW the people are content no matter what class they are in because they've been conditioned to know that everyone is needed. I guess technically it isnt that different from our society because Im sure celebrities dont think anything about everyone else, just like I dont think anything of them.

I completly agree with your answer to number 2. I answered the question life for everyday life and forgot to put myself in the situation of life in the book .All of the gropes of people are taught not to care about anyone but themselves so they might not trip off the fact that the castes below or above them are treated differently. sunny sunny sunny

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Fri May 27, 2011 4:50 pm

1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
I dont think science is dangerous to modern society , it depends on how we use science and what we call science.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
Up to some extent no , we have social groups too , like White , Black ,Latin ,Indian , Native Indian , Asian , Arabs, Christians , Muslims , Buddhists , Hindus , Jains ,Rich ,Poor .. etc..I dont think its lot different from our society . If im alpha or beta , i wouldn't do anything just like im not doing anything right now.

avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Fri May 27, 2011 4:51 pm

violinist13 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?

1. Science is dangerous to modern society. Many people take our science and blow it all out of porportioned. If there were clones in our society today many people would say that this was a mistake they are just going to become slaves. And they are right most people in our society would probably use clones as slaves today instead of using them to give couples or single people a chance to have a child. To prove my point many people today took stem cell research and said its harming the baby. Well actually its not they either take the sample of DNA from a miscarraige or someone who decides to get an abortion so no matter what they are not hurting the baby. And stem cell research is for helping people. I think every body should follow the scout law. It is A Scout Is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful,friendly,curdious,kind, obedent,cheerful,brave,clean, and reverent. If our society followed this science would not be dangerous for our modern society.

2. If I was an Alpha i would feel horrible for the Beta's since they are tortured into being lower castes. I would try to help them as much as I could. If I was a Beta I would hate the Alpha's because they get to grow and learn normally to become higher castes. I would probably kill them and take a dose of soma so i feel happy again. I would also hate being stuck being a lower caste. I think it isnt different from society today because today in society there is still racism when we are all equal and all have the same rights. Different races get treated just like the Beta's some times. In The United States we have laws where you have to be born in the U.S. in order to hold a certian position. Today is no different than the Alpha's and the Beta's in the book. Maybe one day our society will stop caring for oursleves and start caring about others.

Peter science is not dangerous.
avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Fri May 27, 2011 4:54 pm

earthycolors wrote:
20north_star12 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
I think that science is not dangerous. Nothing is actually dangerous. It depends on how the thing is used and by whom it is used. If science is used to cure disease, then it is good. If science is used to annhilate countries, then it is bad.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
I don't think that I would really care because in the book people are conditioned to love their class and not really hate other ones. They are taught that their class is the best, but other classes are better. I think that this is similar to our society in that we are of different social standing, but not in that we are taught to respect people of other social standings.

I concur with half of your post. Science isn't good or bad, it depends on the people doing the science and using it. It can easily be turned into weapons and be used in war in the forms of Nukes or Atom bombs, or it can be transformed into the cure for cancer.
But, I don;t think it would be so good if people were conditioned before birth (i guess if you call it that since they grow in a surrogate) to be what ever they choose them to be for their whole life and they can't change what they wanna do. I mean sure they're supposed to love their class, but that doesn't always happen, and that's why there is soma. I personally think that people should be born to choose whatever job or career thay want to do in life.

earthlycolor i guess, ur not living in their society , so u dont have any clear idea. So stop making predictions.
avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum