3rd Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  Admin on Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 am

Answer BOTH of the questions below, as they relate to A Brave New World. Make sure to reference the book, where appropriate, to support your stance.

Initial posts and response posts are due by Thursday, May 26 at midnight. This will make-up 20 points of your 4th Quarter Book Review grade.

1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - 4th Quarter Book Review - A Brave New World

Post  iluvowls on Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 pm

i do think science is dangerous to our society because it causes people to think they are in more power than they actually are. It also alters people's beliefs and culture, which i believe should not be something messed with.

If i were an Alpha or a Beta and in knew about the Bokanovsky process which was used with the other groups, i would feel happy that i wasnt in one of the other groups but i would also feel like it was very wrong and unfair for them. I would be glad that i could be my own person but i would be discusted thinking about the other groups being cloned and shocked and bred for a specific job. i would know it was wrong and try to convince others that it was wrong, too. i do not think this is much different from our society. there are people who are born rich and never have to experience the hardships of living without posessions. However, some of those people feel sorry for those who are poor even though they will never know what it is like to not have everything.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

which do i choose??..

Post  tweetywizard on Mon May 23, 2011 5:23 pm

. I do not believe that science is dangerous to modern society because so far we have only used science to better the health in our country and protecting our country BUT if our society begins to abuse then thats when it becomes a problem.

If i was an Alpha or Beta i wouldn't be upset about it because im able to be my own person but i would feel bad because to see how these people were raised in a tube and then brainwashed as they slept, they do not get the same precious privileges to think on their own as i do. And in a way our society is like this because when people are not as wealthy as someone else they do not get treated the same.

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Mon May 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Science can be dangerous to modern society. Even with all of the positive advancements it offers, especially in medicine, I believe that people will take advantage of it. They will overuse the technology that is made to make life easier. For example, in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
technology was able to lessen the effects of aging and to cure most if not all illnesses but no one had to try very hard for anything. Intellectual drive was nonexistent because people felt they had everything they needed to make them happy already.

2. How would you feel if you were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated? Is this different than in our society?
If I were an Alpha or a Beta and I knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated, I do not think that I can say how I would react for sure, especially in the society described in Brave New World. I would not be able to empathize with them considering the fact that I have been living a privileged life since I was "born" (even if it was artificial). I would just think that that was the way life was supposed to be for them because, like me, that is how they have been living so far. Just like Lenina from the book. She had a hard time understanding that the classes under her were living creatures just like she was. She talked about them as if they were just "things/ objects" that surrounded her on a regular basis. That may be insensitive, but that is all she knew how to feel. The only difference in our society is that SOME people who are in higher classes try to understand the lower classes and try to help. Others are like Huxley's society and they do not know to feel any different from how they were raised.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Admin wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

1. Science is not so dangerous to modern society as it is helpful. Science has created medicines that we need to survive longer. It has helped us get over those pains (headaches, migraines, stomach aches) that can be really tiring after so long. Science has helped us study who we are and how we have come about. It has helped us develop things such as birth control, chemotherapy, and medicines for sexually transmitted diseases. Without science we would not be where we are today, without science this society would be dead. Everyone and every living thing in modern society would be dead. Everything that breathes, or requires some form of energy requires science. Imagine living in a world with no energy, the world would be cold and black, motionless, and technologically disabled.

2. If I were an Alpha or a Beta I would feel completely sheltered and trapped my whole life. In the book The Brave New World the generated kids already had their lives planned out before they were even able to breath on their own. Before they came out of the incubator, they already had a career path chosen for them. How their life was going to go had already been determined. I wouldn't be able to live my life like the others in society. My life was determined before I was even born. On the other side a child determines its life as the years go on. If my life is already determined then I have no choice but to follow that path and be stuck with it whether I like it or not. Whereas, on the other side if a child didn't like the path they were headed down, or decided that they wanted to change they could change for the better on their own. I'm stuck basically living someone else's life, being someone else I don't even know. I can't be myself because I don't know who I am as an individual. I'm not sure what I would like to do because I already have been told what I'm GOING to do. No [u]

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:46 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
Science can be dangerous to modern society. Even with all of the positive advancements it offers, especially in medicine, I believe that people will take advantage of it. They will overuse the technology that is made to make life easier.

That's for anything though. Once we get word of new technology it gets overused and begin to lose its importance in society since EVERYONE is using it. Much like a calculator, you might not want to admit it but we ALL abuse the use of the calculator. We may plug in problems as easy as 1+10 or 52-7 instead of actually using our brain. The calculator has brainwashed people to stop using their brains and use technology. Technology only makes life easy, and eventually everything will be computer generated thus including jobs.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:50 pm

tweetywizard wrote:If i was an Alpha or Beta i wouldn't be upset about it because im able to be my own person but i would feel bad because to see how these people were raised in a tube and then brainwashed as they slept, they do not get the same precious privileges to think on their own as i do...

Makes you just value how lucky you are to be in the position you are in. Even though this book is fiction, it's still the fact that we get to determine our own lives and our own career paths. No one chooses them for us. Its part of our rights. We get to choose how our life will be ran whether we become successful or unprofitable.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

1. I dont think science is dangerous to modern society but I think it should be closely watched. Certain ethical situations that come from developing sciences are wrong and should be limited. However I still think modern science is safe. For example, hundreds of years ago when science was considered heresy, were the "darkest" times of human history. Therefore I think science should be allowed to grow.

2. I think I would care if I was a beta or alpha. I couldnt stand not being able to think for myself and just following the crowd. However, in the book people were conditioned to not care so who can say if I would care or not. I dont know if I would feel bad about the lower classes. If I was conditioned like in the book then I probably would think that it is ok since they enjoy their jobs. However if I wasnt conditioned then I probably would care because the lower classes are like slaves. This also compares to todays society since there are people in third world countries but no one really cares that much

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:41 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:
If I were an Alpha or a Beta and I knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated, I do not think that I can say how I would react for sure, especially in the society described in Brave New World. I would not be able to empathize with them considering the fact that I have been living a privileged life since I was "born" (even if it was artificial). I would just think that that was the way life was supposed to be for them because, like me, that is how they have been living so far. Just like Lenina from the book.

Thats the same way with me. I dont know what I would do. It would depend on whether or not I was conscious of the morals of the situation

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:43 pm

iluvowls wrote:i do think science is dangerous to our society because it causes people to think they are in more power than they actually are. It also alters people's beliefs and culture, which i believe should not be something messed with.

If i were an Alpha or a Beta and in knew about the Bokanovsky process which was used with the other groups, i would feel happy that i wasnt in one of the other groups but i would also feel like it was very wrong and unfair for them. I would be glad that i could be my own person but i would be discusted thinking about the other groups being cloned and shocked and bred for a specific job.

I understand what you are saying but if you would feel bad about the others being bred you must feel bad about yourself being an alpha or beta because alphas and betas were bred for a specific purpose as well.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Wed May 25, 2011 3:47 pm

No, why would it? Science is generally good and it has helped society in ways that are almost unimaginable.

I would feel fine about it because that's the world i grew up in and was taught that it was for stability. If we were talking of my opinion of it now, i wouldn't feel bad for them at all. Those who would object are so mind numbingly small minded it makes me feel better about myself. Think about it this way: There are people who live like this now, but they are tormented with the fact that they are poor, will always be poor with little or no hope to rise above. Are there underdog stories? Yeah but its about a 5 in 30 million chance. In the situation posed in Brave New World, maybe they would only be a lift door operator but god damn you love being a lift door operator. Quit thinking like an uneducated children, if you could make every lower class person incredibly happy for their whole life and wouldn't you're a monster.
Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Wed May 25, 2011 4:11 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:1. I dont think science is dangerous to modern society but I think it should be closely watched. Certain ethical situations that come from developing sciences are wrong and should be limited. However I still think modern science is safe. For example, hundreds of years ago when science was considered heresy, were the "darkest" times of human history. Therefore I think science should be allowed to grow.

2. I think I would care if I was a beta or alpha. I couldnt stand not being able to think for myself and just following the crowd. However, in the book people were conditioned to not care so who can say if I would care or not. I dont know if I would feel bad about the lower classes. If I was conditioned like in the book then I probably would think that it is ok since they enjoy their jobs. However if I wasnt conditioned then I probably would care because the lower classes are like slaves. This also compares to todays society since there are people in third world countries but no one really cares that much

Why should it be closely watched? and by who's standards limited?

You could stand it. You ARE the crowd. They aren't slaves, others may not like them but they understand their worth and take them as a part of society. Less like slavery, more like being lower class. There are nowhere NEAR third world standards, they have plenty of clothes, jobs, and shelter that can't be blown over by a wolf.
Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm

tweetywizard wrote:. I do not believe that science is dangerous to modern society because so far we have only used science to better the health in our country and protecting our country BUT if our society begins to abuse then thats when it becomes a problem.

If i was an Alpha or Beta i wouldn't be upset about it because im able to be my own person but i would feel bad because to see how these people were raised in a tube and then brainwashed as they slept, they do not get the same precious privileges to think on their own as i do. And in a way our society is like this because when people are not as wealthy as someone else they do not get treated the same.

Is it abusing or taking full advantage?

Every child is 'brainwashed'. How is thinking a 'privilege', i would consider not having to worry so much about how much my life sucks a good thing.
Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Science is a dangerous thing in society. In society, one can used science to either show/ prove a secular point of view, or use it explain religion. For this one reason alone, it can be harmful to society because when you use one topic to justify more than one different topic can stimulate conflict and outrage.

If i were an Alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated then i would not care. In the book, Alpha's and Beta's know of the other groups and accept them, but because I know i am better than the Delta's, Gamma's, and Epsilons, i would not worry about them.No, because in our society, some people do have the mental thoughts that if they are better than others, there is no need to worry about them as long as they fulfill there roll in society. This is exactly the mindset of the book.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 pm

tweetywizard wrote: If i was an Alpha or Beta i wouldn't be upset about it because im able to be my own person but i would feel bad because to see how these people were raised in a tube and then brainwashed as they slept, they do not get the same precious privileges to think on their own as i do. And in a way our society is like this because when people are not as wealthy as someone else they do not get treated the same.

I have to disagree. If you were an Alpha or Beta, you would have been raised in a tube and brainwashed yourself. In fact, you would have been brainwashed so that you would NOT feel sorry for them because that is the way things are supposed to be in that society.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

In the situation posed in Brave New World, maybe they would only be a lift door operator but god damn you love being a lift door operator.
[/quote]

"The Roof"!! this is completely true. In the story everyone is condition to love there social class therefore why feel bad for someone who is perfectly fine with there own situation.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm

In the situation posed in Brave New World, maybe they would only be a lift door operator but god damn you love being a lift door operator.
[/quote]

"The Roof"!! this is completely true. In the story everyone is condition to love there social class therefore why feel bad for someone who is perfectly fine with there own situation.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:57 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:2. I think I would care if I was a beta or alpha. I couldnt stand not being able to think for myself and just following the crowd. However, in the book people were conditioned to not care so who can say if I would care or not. I dont know if I would feel bad about the lower classes. If I was conditioned like in the book then I probably would think that it is ok since they enjoy their jobs. However if I wasnt conditioned then I probably would care because the lower classes are like slaves. This also compares to todays society since there are people in third world countries but no one really cares that much

I agree with the fact that there is really no way to predict how you are going to feel in that society considering the fact that you would have been raised a different way and surrounded by a different environment.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Damage has Already been Done!

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm

I believe that science itslef is not dangerous, its just that people abuse its power and make it dangerous. If people were a little less greedy and a little more considerate of others, maybe science could benefit life without destroying another part of it. Everytime the government turns any invention into a business product. In Brave New World, even the citizens had become a product of Science rather than a product of nature. Their abuse of Science had gotten to the point where families didn't exist and people were produced in assembly line as if they were an economic product rather than a living thing. In a way, they kind of were. Their society had abused science to a point where the laws of nature were broken down and life had lost its meaning. In society today, science is making a bigger influence in our lives with the advancement of technology. Sooner or later, we will become nothing more than slaves to robots and computers. I think that science has too many good qualities that we can't abandon, however, people need to think about when technology has gone too far. Once we start redefining the laws of nature, that is when it is time to stop.

If I were and Alpha or Beta and knew how the other social groups lived and how they were treated, I would not care. I wouldn't care mainly because I would have been conditioned not to. The society used hypnopedia to brainwash the people into loving their class and that the other classes were inferior to theirs. In their society, there was no resistance or tension between the classes. The people had fully accepted their role in society. The Alphas were treated like alphas and epsilons were treated like epsilons. It had always been like that and will always be like that. It was that simple. That is not true for our society however. We are constantly wanting more of everything, including equality. Everyone wants to be in the high class, but that is simply not possible. The high class also abuse their power and this makes people jealous. They don't understand why they can't be high class and these inequalities cause tension between the classes.
Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 pm

[quote="Richiee12"]
Admin wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.

1. Science is not so dangerous to modern society as it is helpful. Science has created medicines that we need to survive longer. It has helped us get over those pains (headaches, migraines, stomach aches) that can be really tiring after so long. Science has helped us study who we are and how we have come about. It has helped us develop things such as birth control, chemotherapy, and medicines for sexually transmitted diseases. Without science we would not be where we are today, without science this society would be dead. Everyone and every living thing in modern society would be dead. Everything that breathes, or requires some form of energy requires science. Imagine living in a world with no energy, the world would be cold and black, motionless, and technologically disabled.

[u]
: I agree with you that technology has many benefits and has helped man live longer, healthier, better lives, but I fear that technology and science are going a little bit too far. We are starting to interfere with nature. We have contributed to global warming, disturbed ecosystems, and even we have become slaves to computers. We are stepping out of the boundaries of natural advancement and into the boudaries of an unnatural dependence on technology. We should quit while we are ahead.
Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Thu May 26, 2011 12:04 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote:1. Is science dangerous to modern society? Explain your position.
Science can be dangerous to modern society. Even with all of the positive advancements it offers, especially in medicine, I believe that people will take advantage of it. They will overuse the technology that is made to make life easier. For example, in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
technology was able to lessen the effects of aging and to cure most if not all illnesses but no one had to try very hard for anything. Intellectual drive was nonexistent because people felt they had everything they needed to make them happy already.

People always abuse their power. Its so sad how society can't be trusted to do the right thing. I am afraid that one day, our society will become so advanced it will mimic the world of Brave New World. It is really sad to think about, but as much as we use computers today, we might become part of some giant computer system like in the Matrix. Some may call the idea farfetched, but look at how much our society has changed. Our world is more suited to computer programs than it is to people. No
Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

IM DONE WITH THESE DISCUSSION BOARDS!!!

Post  Flipper on Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm

I do believe science can be a danger to society. The only reason science so important is to a give a country or province a tactical advantage over other countries. Studying science is just another way humans quest for power. In the quest for power, people are always harmed and something always goes wrong. With this being said, I do think science can be a danger to society

If I were an alpha or a Beta and knew about how the other social groups lived and were being treated I would probably not think anything was unfair or wrong. If I lived in the Brave New World Society I would already be conditioned to think the way I did. I would most likely just asume this is the way life is supposed to be and only be concered with my responsibilities and not with how they are treated. This is similar in our society because some people that would be considered as an Alpha or a Beta simply do not care or just ingore the other social groups, but different because there are some "Alphas or Betas" that care and try to help the other social groups with their problems and needs like the rich do in our society.

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 pm

tweetywizard wrote:. I do not believe that science is dangerous to modern society because so far we have only used science to better the health in our country and protecting our country BUT if our society begins to abuse then thats when it becomes a problem

I agree that if our country abuses science then it will be dangerous. I do think though that it has much potential already to become dangerous. I think that new discoveries are causing people to think they can do things that are just way too unnatural.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

YAY! last discussion board ever!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Personally I do not believe science is dangerous to modern society. Scientific advancements aid with making life better for people. Science is only dangerous when it is used the wrong way. For an example, in Brave New World they purposely create people to fit into a certain class and make them act a certain way. That is when science is dangerous to a society because it has long term affects.
If I were an Alpha or Beta and I knew about how the other castes were being treated, I would feel bad but I would not know how to change it. It is very hard to change how people think. To me there is no difference in our society, they treat certain races with less dignity. Even though segregation does not prevail in our country any longer, there is still an artifical caste system within our society. Just like in Brave New World, the highest castes were allowed to enjoy things, and the episilons were not allowed to enjoy some things. This goes on in our society today.
calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Flipper wrote:I do believe science can be a danger to society. The only reason science so important is to a give a country or province a tactical advantage over other countries. Studying science is just another way humans quest for power. In the quest for power, people are always harmed and something always goes wrong. With this being said, I do think science can be a danger to...

I have to disagree with you about science being a danger to society, because I am pretty sure that science has helped you out at least one time in your life. Yes, sometimes people do take advantage of the power of having the knowledge of science, but it should be completely ruled out of our lives.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top