5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Admin on Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am

Having gone to medical school for four years following her graduation from college, Dr. Melissa Walker postponed her life, always too busy for starting a family or even for finding the right person to share her life. She followed medical school with four years of surgery residency, and spent two years after that specializing in surgery on the hand. Yes, it was a long, arduous journey for Dr. Walker, but she finally made it! She had become a top-level orthopedic surgeon, fighting all the odds of a very specialized field, mostly closed for women doctors. It took a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.

Dr. Walker had been a partner in a very reputable Sports Medicine Clinic for the past ten years. Then, the surprise of her life happened. While on a vacation in Santa Fe, she met the love of her life. His name was Michael Langford, and he worked at a publishing company as chief editor. They had a quick courtship and were married within almost six months of having met. Melissa's life was finally complete-a supportive partner whom she adored and who adored her. The man respected her profession and was willing to move to where she was currently in practice. It was the ideal situation.

However, a few years passed, and Michael felt that he wanted to have children in his life. Neither Melissa nor Michael had been married previously and had no offspring. The problem was her age! By now, Melissa was at the height of her career and was 53 years old! She was earning enough money to be more than comfortable in life. Although she had not passed through menopause yet, she knew the problems associated with maternal age and incidence of genetic mutations such as Down syndrome. She was physically healthy and had no chronic problems. She watched her weight and exercised on a regular basis. She was in top physical condition.

Since money was no object for the couple, they decided to participate in the newer technologies in infertility which had been available for a few years. Also, Melissa had all the right medical connections to make their wish for having a child possible. The couple needed to ask themselves several serious questions, however, before embarking on a journey destined to alter their lives drastically.

Answer BOTH of the questions below in your post. Remember to respond to at least 2 of your peers.

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

aww yeah, this is powerful stuff...

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that at the age of 50+, women shoud not have children. If a child is brought into the world with older parents, that shortens the time a child could possibly have with the parents. Unless the parents are in tip top shape, I doubt that they are physically active enough to be able to participate in the physical aspects of their child's life. Can you image a 58 year old woman chasing after a two-year-old? This can also shorten the life of the parents as well, especially since old people can have brittle bones that con break easily, heart conditions, and other things. Then there is the process of pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months is a very traumatic event on the human body, not to mention the actual act of labor. Why do you think women go through menopause and stop having the ability to have children? because they CANT PHYSICALLY DO IT.
I think at the age of 60+ a man should not become a father. Again, the health risks. If a man has a son at the age of 65, by the time his son is old enough to want to play catch in the backyard, the dad's gonna need his walker to get to the door!

Medical doctors should definitely deny people over the age of 50 the right to have more children via technology. Doctors know the risks of children being born to a mother who is over a certain age, and strongly do not recommend it.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  smiley11 on Wed May 18, 2011 8:44 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that when kids in highschool for one is not ok for girls to be giving birth. Same go for the men, its just not needed. Also people of the age of 50+. I don't think that they will have the energy and stamina to keep up with thier children. They would probably a lot of physical pain and may take longer to recover form giving birth.

I think that a certian age that doctors should deny the right for people to use reproductive technology. I think that they should do this when the people are in their 50s and older.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

All I can think about is Ms.Hancock's wrinkley eggs thanks to this article... JK HANCOCK.

Post  20north_star12 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I don't think that there should be an age where it's not okay to give birth to a baby. Honestly, more people like her should be having children. She could raise the baby properly and potentially is more wise to teach better lessons. I don't think that there's an age for a father either.

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology?
When should they?

I don't think this would be appropriate because if this were the case, then they should base it on genes and personal merit. I think that healthy, intelligent, and driven people are the future leaders of America and need to reproduce to save society and create an improved generation.
.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  soccergal93 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?



Answers:
1. The average life expectancy in the US is about 79 years (Source-World Development Indicators 2009). In my opinion, I don't think it's fair for a mother to give birth to a child if it's not likely that they're going to be able to take care of them into their late teens and early twenties, just because it's hard for a young teenager to go through losing a parent at an early age if it can be avoided, and it's unfair if you have a young child that you can't keep up with enough to provide good care and support to them. I don't think it's okay to give birth to a baby if you're about this woman's age or any older. I don't think it's okay to become a new father at the same ages as I described wouldn't be okay for a mother, because fathers have to keep up with their children and provide for them just as much if not more than the mothers. I don't think it's okay to become a father if you're over the age of 50, because when your child is 10 years old and probably into school and sports actively, you'll be 60 and it will be more difficult than normal to teach them an active and healthy lifestyle and good living habits.

2. I don't think anyone should be denied the right to use reproductive technology UNLESS the situation could be harmful or dangerous to either the parent or especially the child. But at the same time, I think it's necessary for medical doctors to open the parents' eyes to all of the difficulties they could have with either decision they make, and inform them of every possible outcome and situation that could come out of unusual circumstances of wanting to have a child, including age. I think it should be required that parents sit and listen to medical doctors about experiences they've heard of or seen as an outcome of what they are about to do, even if the parents don't wish to hear it, it's necessary to consider all the possibilities ahead of you.

soccergal93

Posts : 14
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  20north_star12 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

smiley11 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that when kids in highschool for one is not ok for girls to be giving birth. Same go for the men, its just not needed. Also people of the age of 50+. I don't think that they will have the energy and stamina to keep up with thier children. They would probably a lot of physical pain and may take longer to recover form giving birth.

I think that a certian age that doctors should deny the right for people to use reproductive technology. I think that they should do this when the people are in their 50s and older.

I disagree with the part about high school girls to not having babies. I think that all babies are a blessing and that everything happens for a reason. Some teen moms are the best mothers I know. Physical pain will occur with anyone that has a child, and different people have different recovery lengths. Age has little to do with it. If a man or woman could love a child and raise it correctly, then why should they be denied the right to a child? What happened to America being the land of the free? Nobody should have the right to deny anyone a child. If they do, then why not ban all the crackheads? Forget about age.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  20north_star12 on Wed May 18, 2011 10:00 pm

soccergal93 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?



Answers:
1. The average life expectancy in the US is about 79 years (Source-World Development Indicators 2009). In my opinion, I don't think it's fair for a mother to give birth to a child if it's not likely that they're going to be able to take care of them into their late teens and early twenties, just because it's hard for a young teenager to go through losing a parent at an early age if it can be avoided, and it's unfair if you have a young child that you can't keep up with enough to provide good care and support to them. I don't think it's okay to give birth to a baby if you're about this woman's age or any older. I don't think it's okay to become a new father at the same ages as I described wouldn't be okay for a mother, because fathers have to keep up with their children and provide for them just as much if not more than the mothers. I don't think it's okay to become a father if you're over the age of 50, because when your child is 10 years old and probably into school and sports actively, you'll be 60 and it will be more difficult than normal to teach them an active and healthy lifestyle and good living habits.

2. I don't think anyone should be denied the right to use reproductive technology UNLESS the situation could be harmful or dangerous to either the parent or especially the child. But at the same time, I think it's necessary for medical doctors to open the parents' eyes to all of the difficulties they could have with either decision they make, and inform them of every possible outcome and situation that could come out of unusual circumstances of wanting to have a child, including age. I think it should be required that parents sit and listen to medical doctors about experiences they've heard of or seen as an outcome of what they are about to do, even if the parents don't wish to hear it, it's necessary to consider all the possibilities ahead of you.


I disagree with your post for the simple fact that as you said the life expectancy is 79 years old. At 50, you can still live to see your child to be almost 30. If you're healthy and can obtain pregnancy, then you should be able to live to at least this. My great aunt and uncle are in their 60's and they're very healthy. With improving technology, life expectancy increases and so does treatments for multiple diseases. This will also help to keep older parents alive. This couple was financially able to support the baby, so they could easily hire a nanny or something of the sort for help. This wouldn't be wrong because younger couples do the same thing.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 pm

In my opinion, any woman and man that can still physically have a child should go ahead and have a child as long as they are of likely age and health to live long enough to take care of the child until its an adult and have the intention to take care of the child.

I think that Doctors should deny people to use reproductive technology if the patient isn't of heath to take care of a newborn, or there is reason to believe the patients would not make suitable parents which could be determined by child service agencies.

Although this could lead back into the topic of overpopulation, I think it would be much more appropriate for anyone of such a high age to adopt.

whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mosquito, Slickticious, and Skyler ♥

Post  londylou on Wed May 18, 2011 11:48 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

1. In my opinion, it is not okay for a woman to have a baby after 38. That is how old my mom was when she had me. Of course she does not have the energy and patience she had when raising my siblings (born in 1981 and 1982) and energy and patience are very necessary when bringing up a child. Sometimes I get the vibe that she doesnt want to be bothered with me b/c she's in her fifties haveing to deal with a teenager. Im not saying Im not happy myself, but I think a younger mother would produce a happier child (no offense to my mom). The maximum age I think a man should father a baby is also 38 because it takes TWO to raise a child.

2. YES!!!!!! Medical doctors SHOULD deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology if the parents are old, by old in this case I mean 50+, then there is absolutly no need for them to reproduce. That's disgusting anyway. Also, not to sound morbid but they might not live very long after the child is born, and the baby might be born with deficiencies because the parents were so old.

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 pm

soccergal93 wrote: I don't think it's okay to become a father if you're over the age of 50, because when your child is 10 years old and probably into school and sports actively, you'll be 60 and it will be more difficult than normal to teach them an active and healthy lifestyle and good living habits.


I disagree with the idea that a 60 year old could not present a good example of health for a 10 year old. First of all, if the 60 year old has lived a healthy life and second wants to continue to live a heathy lifestyle, they would probably pose a better heath example than someone half there age at 30 years old. Although a 60 year olds idea of active will be entirely different from a 10 year olds, a 60 year old has to work much harder to stay heathy which would set a good example for for the child. Just like in all the Cheerios commercials where the little kid would be eating cereal with his grandpa, if his grandpa wasn't around eating Cheerios to keep his heart heathy don't you think that little kid would be eating Froot Loops Or Frosted Flakes in the Morning instead?

whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 am

londylou wrote:

1. In my opinion, it is not okay for a woman to have a baby after 38. That is how old my mom was when she had me. Of course she does not have the energy and patience she had when raising my siblings (born in 1981 and 1982) and energy and patience are very necessary when bringing up a child. Sometimes I get the vibe that she doesnt want to be bothered with me b/c she's in her fifties haveing to deal with a teenager. Im not saying Im not happy myself, but I think a younger mother would produce a happier child (no offense to my mom). The maximum age I think a man should father a baby is also 38 because it takes TWO to raise a child.


Maybe if you think of it more as a 42 year olds having the first child they have always dreamed of. Along with that maybe that individual couple will have much better personalities for raising a child, with out the impatience, anger, and the difficulty to relate due to the generation gap. I think it all depends on how open minded the person is at that age.

Although I do know what you mean, my moms nearly 50 and she's the kind of mom who works in an office, but has no idea how to use a home computer or what a classroom is like in this generation. I hope that when I'm 50 I will be able to adapt to whatever is going on in 2044.

whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OOPS I DID HALF MY DISSCUSSION BOARD ON 3RD HOUR'S THINGY!!!!

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 19, 2011 5:10 pm

smiley11 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that when kids in highschool for one is not ok for girls to be giving birth. Same go for the men, its just not needed. Also people of the age of 50+. I don't think that they will have the energy and stamina to keep up with thier children. They would probably a lot of physical pain and may take longer to recover form giving birth.

I think that a certian age that doctors should deny the right for people to use reproductive technology. I think that they should do this when the people are in their 50s and older.
I know right! we're talking about how old is too old to have kids how about how too young to have kids. We have plenty examples around school. Hmm now that would have been a good discussion board question! cheers lol!

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  earthycolors on Thu May 19, 2011 10:21 pm

I believe that the highest age a mother should have a baby morally is 50. Any higher than that, and you run the risk of dying much earlier in your life or the child being born with a defect of some sort. It would be too dangerous and past 50, I would consider adopting a child rather than having one on your own. But, the father on the other hand. Since he doesn't have the ability of giving birth to a child, he plays no role in the child being born with a defect of some sort, unless he were to smoke around the baby or something. I believe the highest age of a new father shouldn't past 60-65, simply because he would be too old. I mean if he could support the child and the stresses of life with a baby, then go for it, but having a baby at 70 years old is not the smartest idea. What if you were to die before you could fully grow with the child into adulthood?

As for technology. I fully believe that technology is fine to promote a healthy baby. I would rather have a woman to have a baby through technology and the baby comes out healthy than not use technology and the baby ends up having a birth defect like a hole in the heart or something. Because if I knew that technology could ease the stress and help promote a healthier baby, but deny it and the baby has downs syndrome or something, I would feel so guilty knowing that i contributed to the defect

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  smiley11 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:22 am

earthycolors wrote:I believe that the highest age a mother should have a baby morally is 50. Any higher than that, and you run the risk of dying much earlier in your life or the child being born with a defect of some sort. It would be too dangerous and past 50, I would consider adopting a child rather than having one on your own. But, the father on the other hand. Since he doesn't have the ability of giving birth to a child, he plays no role in the child being born with a defect of some sort, unless he were to smoke around the baby or something. I believe the highest age of a new father shouldn't past 60-65, simply because he would be too old. I mean if he could support the child and the stresses of life with a baby, then go for it, but having a baby at 70 years old is not the smartest idea. What if you were to die before you could fully grow with the child into adulthood?

As for technology. I fully believe that technology is fine to promote a healthy baby. I would rather have a woman to have a baby through technology and the baby comes out healthy than not use technology and the baby ends up having a birth defect like a hole in the heart or something. Because if I knew that technology could ease the stress and help promote a healthier baby, but deny it and the baby has downs syndrome or something, I would feel so guilty knowing that i contributed to the defect

I agree with what your saying. Women shouldn't have a child after the age of 50. That is true, the women do have a higher risk of getting hurt or the baby not living after child birth. This is true, the men don't have to do anything physical during the pregnancy. I think that any age over 65 for a man is too old to be having children because he may not be ble to see his child grow up. Technology is fine to promote a healthy baby but if the faimly is too old they won't be able to keep up with the child.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  smiley11 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 am

snookieluvs2tan wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that at the age of 50+, women shoud not have children. If a child is brought into the world with older parents, that shortens the time a child could possibly have with the parents. Unless the parents are in tip top shape, I doubt that they are physically active enough to be able to participate in the physical aspects of their child's life. Can you image a 58 year old woman chasing after a two-year-old? This can also shorten the life of the parents as well, especially since old people can have brittle bones that con break easily, heart conditions, and other things. Then there is the process of pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months is a very traumatic event on the human body, not to mention the actual act of labor. Why do you think women go through menopause and stop having the ability to have children? because they CANT PHYSICALLY DO IT.
I think at the age of 60+ a man should not become a father. Again, the health risks. If a man has a son at the age of 65, by the time his son is old enough to want to play catch in the backyard, the dad's gonna need his walker to get to the door!

Medical doctors should definitely deny people over the age of 50 the right to have more children via technology. Doctors know the risks of children being born to a mother who is over a certain age, and strongly do not recommend it.

I completely agree with what you said! I couldn't imagine that a woman over the age of 50 would want to run around chasing a toddler. I sure wouldn't want to. This is also true, it would put a lot of strain on the mother to carry the child for nine months even if she is in top shape. The doctors should run tests on the women over the age of 50 to have a child, the do know best. (most of the time)

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  londylou on Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think that at the age of 50+, women shoud not have children. If a child is brought into the world with older parents, that shortens the time a child could possibly have with the parents. Unless the parents are in tip top shape, I doubt that they are physically active enough to be able to participate in the physical aspects of their child's life. Can you image a 58 year old woman chasing after a two-year-old? This can also shorten the life of the parents as well, especially since old people can have brittle bones that con break easily, heart conditions, and other things. Then there is the process of pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months is a very traumatic event on the human body, not to mention the actual act of labor. Why do you think women go through menopause and stop having the ability to have children? because they CANT PHYSICALLY DO IT.
I think at the age of 60+ a man should not become a father. Again, the health risks. If a man has a son at the age of 65, by the time his son is old enough to want to play catch in the backyard, the dad's gonna need his walker to get to the door!

I agree with you on the point that it would be crazy for a 58 year old to be chasing after a toddler, but why is the limit for the mother 50ish but the limit for the father is 60ish? No, the father is not birthing the child, but he still has a very active part in raising it.

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  londylou on Fri May 20, 2011 2:03 pm

20north_star12 wrote:
smiley11 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that when kids in highschool for one is not ok for girls to be giving birth. Same go for the men, its just not needed. Also people of the age of 50+. I don't think that they will have the energy and stamina to keep up with thier children. They would probably a lot of physical pain and may take longer to recover form giving birth.

I think that a certian age that doctors should deny the right for people to use reproductive technology. I think that they should do this when the people are in their 50s and older.

I disagree with the part about high school girls to not having babies. I think that all babies are a blessing and that everything happens for a reason. Some teen moms are the best mothers I know. Physical pain will occur with anyone that has a child, and different people have different recovery lengths. Age has little to do with it. If a man or woman could love a child and raise it correctly, then why should they be denied the right to a child? What happened to America being the land of the free? Nobody should have the right to deny anyone a child. If they do, then why not ban all the crackheads? Forget about age.

I agree with this response on the part about some high school girls being good mothers, but, this is only a very small portion of teenagers out there. All teens are not as responsible as others. I know one girl who tries to lead her life as she did before she gave birth. All her facebook statuses are about how she is gonna have a "kush session" and about all the blunts she is going to smoke. Another one I know still sleeps around like she did before she had her baby which will most likely lead to another one. A lot of teens aren't up to the challenge and the huge change your life SHOULD go through after a baby so they try to be the typical stereotype of a teen and a mother at the same time. For these girls, it just doesnt work. farao <-- btw is this a new emoticon?

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  earthycolors on Fri May 20, 2011 5:35 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I think that at the age of 50+, women shoud not have children. If a child is brought into the world with older parents, that shortens the time a child could possibly have with the parents. Unless the parents are in tip top shape, I doubt that they are physically active enough to be able to participate in the physical aspects of their child's life. Can you image a 58 year old woman chasing after a two-year-old? This can also shorten the life of the parents as well, especially since old people can have brittle bones that con break easily, heart conditions, and other things. Then there is the process of pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months is a very traumatic event on the human body, not to mention the actual act of labor. Why do you think women go through menopause and stop having the ability to have children? because they CANT PHYSICALLY DO IT.
I think at the age of 60+ a man should not become a father. Again, the health risks. If a man has a son at the age of 65, by the time his son is old enough to want to play catch in the backyard, the dad's gonna need his walker to get to the door!

Medical doctors should definitely deny people over the age of 50 the right to have more children via technology. Doctors know the risks of children being born to a mother who is over a certain age, and strongly do not recommend it.

I believe that you are correct. I, too, believe that women over 50 years of age would not be fit or suitable enough to carry a baby or contribute to the physical parts of a child. They culd not even live long enough to see their kis graduate from highschool. It happens. And fathers over 60 shouldnt have children. Mostly for the same reasons. And you hit the nail on the head about women over 50 having children through technology.

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  earthycolors on Fri May 20, 2011 5:41 pm

20north_star12 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I don't think that there should be an age where it's not okay to give birth to a baby. Honestly, more people like her should be having children. She could raise the baby properly and potentially is more wise to teach better lessons. I don't think that there's an age for a father either.

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology?
When should they?

I don't think this would be appropriate because if this were the case, then they should base it on genes and personal merit. I think that healthy, intelligent, and driven people are the future leaders of America and need to reproduce to save society and create an improved generation.
.

There are certain factors that would make a woman over 50 having a baby complicated. That is the reason most woman of that age or older are discouraged from having a child. The woman could die at birth (bigger chance the older you get), the parents could shorten their lifespan from runnin around and the stress from raising child for 18 years. The father too. Imagine if a 65 year old mom had a child, then died when the child was 11 or something (the woman would be 76, but her life wouldve been shortened from all the stress and fatigue)

earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri May 20, 2011 9:16 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:In my opinion, any woman and man that can still physically have a child should go ahead and have a child as long as they are of likely age and health to live long enough to take care of the child until its an adult and have the intention to take care of the child.

I think that Doctors should deny people to use reproductive technology if the patient isn't of heath to take care of a newborn, or there is reason to believe the patients would not make suitable parents which could be determined by child service agencies.

Although this could lead back into the topic of overpopulation, I think it would be much more appropriate for anyone of such a high age to adopt.


Why should child service agencies have to intervene before a couple can have a child? They cant predict how good of parents the couple will be before they even have a child. There are plenty of people who are wild and crazy, and completely change once the birth of their child. Therefore, I dont really agree.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri May 20, 2011 9:22 pm

londylou wrote:
snookieluvs2tan wrote:I think that at the age of 50+, women shoud not have children. If a child is brought into the world with older parents, that shortens the time a child could possibly have with the parents. Unless the parents are in tip top shape, I doubt that they are physically active enough to be able to participate in the physical aspects of their child's life. Can you image a 58 year old woman chasing after a two-year-old? This can also shorten the life of the parents as well, especially since old people can have brittle bones that con break easily, heart conditions, and other things. Then there is the process of pregnancy. Carrying a child for nine months is a very traumatic event on the human body, not to mention the actual act of labor. Why do you think women go through menopause and stop having the ability to have children? because they CANT PHYSICALLY DO IT.
I think at the age of 60+ a man should not become a father. Again, the health risks. If a man has a son at the age of 65, by the time his son is old enough to want to play catch in the backyard, the dad's gonna need his walker to get to the door!

I agree with you on the point that it would be crazy for a 58 year old to be chasing after a toddler, but why is the limit for the mother 50ish but the limit for the father is 60ish? No, the father is not birthing the child, but he still has a very active part in raising it.

The limit for the father is 60ish because a man can never stop producing sperm.Let's say for instance that a 63 year old man marries a 36 year old woman and they have a son. Although the father man not be capapble to be super active with the kid, he can still spend time and entertain it. If you think about it, no matter how involved a father is with his child, the mother is always the main one doing the most work: breastfeeding, staying at home, dealing with terrible twos, wiping tears, holding it immediately after birth, etc. This is because when a child is born, hormones are released from the mother that helps form an instant bond with the child. Yeah the father does help mold and shape the child, but the mother is the one who is more nurturing.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum