3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Admin on Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 am

Having gone to medical school for four years following her graduation from college, Dr. Melissa Walker postponed her life, always too busy for starting a family or even for finding the right person to share her life. She followed medical school with four years of surgery residency, and spent two years after that specializing in surgery on the hand. Yes, it was a long, arduous journey for Dr. Walker, but she finally made it! She had become a top-level orthopedic surgeon, fighting all the odds of a very specialized field, mostly closed for women doctors. It took a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.

Dr. Walker had been a partner in a very reputable Sports Medicine Clinic for the past ten years. Then, the surprise of her life happened. While on a vacation in Santa Fe, she met the love of her life. His name was Michael Langford, and he worked at a publishing company as chief editor. They had a quick courtship and were married within almost six months of having met. Melissa's life was finally complete-a supportive partner whom she adored and who adored her. The man respected her profession and was willing to move to where she was currently in practice. It was the ideal situation.

However, a few years passed, and Michael felt that he wanted to have children in his life. Neither Melissa nor Michael had been married previously and had no offspring. The problem was her age! By now, Melissa was at the height of her career and was 53 years old! She was earning enough money to be more than comfortable in life. Although she had not passed through menopause yet, she knew the problems associated with maternal age and incidence of genetic mutations such as Down syndrome. She was physically healthy and had no chronic problems. She watched her weight and exercised on a regular basis. She was in top physical condition.

Since money was no object for the couple, they decided to participate in the newer technologies in infertility which had been available for a few years. Also, Melissa had all the right medical connections to make their wish for having a child possible. The couple needed to ask themselves several serious questions, however, before embarking on a journey destined to alter their lives drastically.

Answer BOTH of the questions below in your post. Remember to respond to at least 2 of your peers.

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?




Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed May 18, 2011 4:33 pm

1. I think that the maternal age for having a baby is until there is danger. If it is dangerous to either the baby or the mother to even consider having a child that late then it should probably not happen. The paternal age however should be limited. Men can reproduce their whole life but that would cause problems. If a man had a kid at 60 he could die and leave the child.

2. Doctors probably should be able to limit the age of having kids. This should only take place in certain cases. For example, in the story the people who wanted to have kids were well off and in good health. If they were to die the child would probably be ok. However if this were the case for a couple who had health problems and was older then if they were to die then the child would be alone and put into foster care.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Be Reasonable!

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed May 18, 2011 4:44 pm

I don't think that it is wrong to have a baby at old age. It is up to that person to decide if they can handle a child. Children are a lot of work, especially new borns, and typically older people have less patience with children. Also, the mother, like Melissa, would have to be in fairly good shape to be able to have a natural birth. She would not want to strain her body and possibly die at birth. As for raising the child, you wouldn't want to be too old, like 70, because you may not live long enough to see you baby grow up. It's an awful thing to think about, but you have to take that into consideration. That goes for both parents. I would say that both the mother and father should be no more than 55 years of age before it would be too old to have a baby, but that's just my opinion. If someone thinks they can handle having a baby beyond that, then let them. I believe that anyone should have the right to use reproductive technology as long as they are physically and mentally able. For example, an ailing old women at 70 should not be allowed to use this technology because there is just too great a risk that she may not survive and end up leaving the child parentless. This is my main concern with people who want to have children at a late age. They need to make sure they can promise to be there for their baby. Neutral

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

uhhhh..yea

Post  tweetywizard on Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?
I think that if your in physical shape and have not went through menopause it is possible for you to have a child but i do not think that you should because with age comes physical problems and you have to be able to watch out for your child as they grow. And if your too old then how will you keep up. I feel that if you want a child at that age then go adopt one because there are PLENTY children out in orphanages who want and need parents.Do not put your body in danger.

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?
They should deny people who's life could possibly be in danger,but as for anyone else, if thats what they want then you give it to them. Very Happy silent

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Richiee12 on Wed May 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Admin wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?



1.) I would have to say any age over the age of 40 would be TOO old to give birth to a baby. After so long you have to think about how old you will be when your child graduates high school? College? What about when your child has children? Will you be able to live long enough to see them mature into young adults? As a mother you have to make sure that your body is ABLE enough to give birth to a newborn. As a father if you are over the age of 35 it might be too old to be impregnating your significant other. After so long you wont be able to produce sperm, and Viagra can only help you for so much. If you decide to have child at an old age make sure that you're not only financially stable, but make sure that you are physically active and can be able to uphold a child running around the house.

2.) At no time should a doctor deny a patient the right to use reproductive technology. If one feels that they are ready to have a child, then let them. There's no need to deny someone happiness. If you know that that patient is not in the best condition to give birth, then it might be a good idea to deny them the right. However, offer them the best next thing possible. Perhaps give them the option of adopting a child.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  iluvowls on Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm

I definitely think that it is not ok to have a baby after 38 years of age. Not only is it just gross to think about a woman that old giving birth, but the child would have old parents! No one wants old parents. Also, if it's that much of a risk of your child having a mutation why do it? You are more than likely going to have a baby with down syndrome and their lives will not be fulfilled. I also think it is not okay for the father to be older than forty when having a child. Even though this may not cause mutations for the child, the father will be too old to do enjoyable, fun things while the child is growing up.

I do think there is point where people should not be allowed fertility help. No matter how healthy you are, you can still be old and I think doctors should consider that. No child should have parents that are old enough to be their grandparents. They will probably die before their kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ew Why is mom so WRINKLY? HARD TO BELIEVE I CAME FROM THAT CRUSTY WOMB!

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 pm



Answer BOTH of the questions below in your post. Remember to respond to at least 2 of your peers.

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?
hONESTLY IF YOUR OVER THE AGE OF 45 YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KIDS, EVEN 45 IS PUSHING IT. i THINK THAT A PARENTS SHOULD BE YOUNG WHEN THEY HAVE KIDS BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU CAN'T KEEP UP WITH YOUR CHILDREN AND MIGHT NOT HAVE THE ENERGY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM AND PROVIDE THEM WITH THE PROPER LOVE AND CARE THEY NEED ALONG WITH A PLAYFUL NATURE. a MOM NEEDS TO BE YOUNG ENOUGH SO THAT HER BODY CAN HANDLE THE STRESS OF BIRTH AND A NINE MONTH CARRIAGE, IF HER BODY IS WEARING DOWN BECAUSE OF AGE THEN THE PREGNANCY COULD POSIBLY BREAK DOWN HER FRAGILE BODY. i THINK 45 IS THE MAX FOR A MAN AS WELL BECAUSE IF HE IS OLD HOW CAN HE HELP "MAKE" THE BABY WITHOUT HIS BACK GIVING OUT, Hahahahahhahaha. aLSO OLD MEN ARE STUBBORN AND CRANKY, THEY DONT NEED TO RAISE KIDS.

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?
They should not because it would go against the constitution. People of all ages have the right to having a child so doctors should help them, even if the kid may be born with down syndrome and they know it, the parents can still raise the child as if it were normal and love it no less than they would a normal baby. Any child brought unto this earth is a blessing except for Hitler, Sudam, etc, etc, etc.



[/quote]


timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Communistkid on Wed May 18, 2011 9:27 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I honestly don't care, as long as they are willing to take care of whatever comes out of the mix mother wise. Also, she is highly intelligent so she deserves to spit out as many as possible.

As for the guy, men constantly produce sperm so he's fine till the day he dies..... (happy hunting!)


#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

No? especially if it reduces the chances for down syndrome and such. Duh.

Communistkid

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

too old

Post  penguin94 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 pm

1.) I think that is okay to have a baby until around forty for both sexes. That way you aren't the "old mamma or papa". I think it's weird to have a baby and you have wrinkles. Besides, when you are older, you tend not to have as much energy or patience so you would most likely not be able to play with your kid as much or treat them kindly.

2.) Even though I think that the limit for reproductive age should be 40, I do not think that doctors should deny people from using the technology to have a child. However, if I was the doctor, I would tell them the risks of having a child at an older, but ultimately leave the decision to them and not deny their free agency. If the couple is infertile and they want to have a baby and they are younger than 40, then I would permit them to use the reproductive technologies, but again warn them of the risks if they were older.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

no never too old :)

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 am

I do not think there should be a limit of an age of when a woman should or should not have a baby. If she would have had a baby in her twenties she would have not reached the accomplishments she reached. I would rather have a kid when I'm older and successful than have the baby in my twenties and then I would have to set my goals aside. Personally my moto is God's time is the best time. Very Happy

No, I personally do not think that doctors should deny anyone from using reproductive technologies UNLESS the couple is just completely crazy. cheers

calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 am

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?
In my opinion, it is NOT okay to give birth to a baby if, because of your age, there is a possibility that you will be gone before the baby is old enough to take care of itself. I feel the same goes with a new father. I think that people with this problem should consider adopting children that will be able to fend for themselves sooner than later.

#2- Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?
I do not think that medical doctors should deny anybody the right to use reproductive technology. I do feel that they should discourage certain people from using it, however, if there are greater risks for these people.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:31 am

iluvowls wrote:I definitely think that it is not ok to have a baby after 38 years of age. Not only is it just gross to think about a woman that old giving birth, but the child would have old parents! No one wants old parents. Also, if it's that much of a risk of your child having a mutation why do it? You are more than likely going to have a baby with down syndrome and their lives will not be fulfilled. I also think it is not okay for the father to be older than forty when having a child. Even though this may not cause mutations for the child, the father will be too old to do enjoyable, fun things while the child is growing up.

I do think there is point where people should not be allowed fertility help. No matter how healthy you are, you can still be old and I think doctors should consider that. No child should have parents that are old enough to be their grandparents. They will probably die before their kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

I have to disagree... 38 years thats still young!!! Everyone says that "oh they risk mutations" well everything has a risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There have been plenty of women who have babies over 50 and their baby is perfectly healthy.

calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:36 am

Suga-Mama wrote:I don't think that it is wrong to have a baby at old age. It is up to that person to decide if they can handle a child. Children are a lot of work, especially new borns, and typically older people have less patience with children. Also, the mother, like Melissa, would have to be in fairly good shape to be able to have a natural birth. She would not want to strain her body and possibly die at birth. As for raising the child, you wouldn't want to be too old, like 70, because you may not live long enough to see you baby grow up. It's an awful thing to think about, but you have to take that into consideration. That goes for both parents. I would say that both the mother and father should be no more than 55 years of age before it would be too old to have a baby, but that's just my opinion. If someone thinks they can handle having a baby beyond that, then let them. I believe that anyone should have the right to use reproductive technology as long as they are physically and mentally able. For example, an ailing old women at 70 should not be allowed to use this technology because there is just too great a risk that she may not survive and end up leaving the child parentless. This is my main concern with people who want to have children at a late age. They need to make sure they can promise to be there for their baby. Neutral

I agree with you, but I believe since the older people are more mature than younger people because they have more wisdom than a twenty year old.

calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 19, 2011 4:56 pm

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I don't think there is a certain age its not okay to give birth to a baby. If the mother is in good health and it wouldn't be a risk for death or health problems then having a baby is okay. But if there is a risk, like maybe the mother's body can't handle it or she has many health problems and there is a high possibility of her dying before the child is 18 then no it is NOT okay. I think the same applies to the father. It all depends on health beacause the parents have to be around to take care of the child. Both parents need to sit and think about the future. They need to talk about if they will be physically able to take care of this child in the future. Suspect scratch

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

I believe that if doctors see a risk for somebody's life being in danger, whether th parents or the child, then of course they should deny this right. I think after the age of 40 they should require people to take a test or something to see if its risky or not to use this technology.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

calientelabios234 wrote: I do not think there should be a limit of an age of when a woman should or should not have a baby. If she would have had a baby in her twenties she would have not reached the accomplishments she reached. I would rather have a kid when I'm older and successful than have the baby in my twenties and then I would have to set my goals aside. Personally my moto is God's time is the best time. Very Happy

No, I personally do not think that doctors should deny anyone from using reproductive technologies UNLESS the couple is just completely crazy. cheers

I see what you're saying with the whole accomplishing goals thing and I'm not saying everybody should have kids early. But think about if a couple decides to have children in their 50s. There's a chance the parents might die before the child reaches 18. Then what does the child do? Foster care? And when people get older their are certain things they can't do like loose their hearing , sight or maybe can't walk. When people get to a certain age their children should be taking care of them or helping them out. People have kids and take care of them then when the kid is grown and the parent gets old the child takes care of the parent.Thats usually how it goes. lol!

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 am

calientelabios234 wrote: I do not think there should be a limit of an age of when a woman should or should not have a baby. If she would have had a baby in her twenties she would have not reached the accomplishments she reached. I would rather have a kid when I'm older and successful than have the baby in my twenties and then I would have to set my goals aside. Personally my moto is God's time is the best time. Very Happy

I agree. It is a woman's choice whether she should be able to have a baby or not. Way back when, a women had babies when she felt like it. It was all natural and it happened when it happened. Everything turned out all right then and now if a woman wants to have a baby "when it happens" she should let it, even if the time is technically chosen. Wink ... if that makes sense Embarassed Razz

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri May 20, 2011 12:51 am

penguin94 wrote: 2.) Even though I think that the limit for reproductive age should be 40, I do not think that doctors should deny people from using the technology to have a child. However, if I was the doctor, I would tell them the risks of having a child at an older, but ultimately leave the decision to them and not deny their free agency. If the couple is infertile and they want to have a baby and they are younger than 40, then I would permit them to use the reproductive technologies, but again warn them of the risks if they were older.

I do not agree with your opinion about a limit for reproductive age but I do like the way you explained how you would not deny couples the right to use the technology to have a child. I like the idea of explaining risks rather than flat out saying "NO". I love you

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  penguin94 on Fri May 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Richiee12 wrote:1.) I would have to say any age over the age of 40 would be TOO old to give birth to a baby. After so long you have to think about how old you will be when your child graduates high school? College? What about when your child has children? Will you be able to live long enough to see them mature into young adults? As a mother you have to make sure that your body is ABLE enough to give birth to a newborn. As a father if you are over the age of 35 it might be too old to be impregnating your significant other. After so long you wont be able to produce sperm, and Viagra can only help you for so much. If you decide to have child at an old age make sure that you're not only financially stable, but make sure that you are physically active and can be able to uphold a child running around the house.

2.) At no time should a doctor deny a patient the right to use reproductive technology. If one feels that they are ready to have a child, then let them. There's no need to deny someone happiness. If you know that that patient is not in the best condition to give birth, then it might be a good idea to deny them the right. However, offer them the best next thing possible. Perhaps give them the option of adopting a child.

I'm pretty sure males don't stop producing sperm. There are 70 years old men who can get a woman pregnant. I do agree with you in that you need to be both physically and financially able to provide for a child, not matter what age you are. I do not, however, agree with you in that you should not deny someone the right to use reproductive technology. If you were the doctor and you knew that having a child could possibly render the parent(s) unable to take care of that child-either by dying or some other physical element-would you let them still have the child? I would feel guilty if I knew that I was partially responsible for a child not having the very best life that they could have.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  penguin94 on Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Communistkid wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I honestly don't care, as long as they are willing to take care of whatever comes out of the mix mother wise. Also, she is highly intelligent so she deserves to spit out as many as possible.

As for the guy, men constantly produce sperm so he's fine till the day he dies..... (happy hunting!)


#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?

No? especially if it reduces the chances for down syndrome and such. Duh.

I agree with you in that the mother has to be willing to care for the child, but I would not permit them to attempt the act if they were physically unable to do so. Women usually go through menopause in their late forties or early fifties and so I think it is pushing it to be trying to have a baby when you are that close to ending menstruation. Also, having a baby at an early age may also jeopardize the mother's and even the baby's overall health.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri May 20, 2011 5:24 pm

tweetywizard wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?
I think that if your in physical shape and have not went through menopause it is possible for you to have a child but i do not think that you should because with age comes physical problems and you have to be able to watch out for your child as they grow. And if your too old then how will you keep up. I feel that if you want a child at that age then go adopt one because there are PLENTY children out in orphanages who want and need parents.Do not put your body in danger.

#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?
They should deny people who's life could possibly be in danger,but as for anyone else, if thats what they want then you give it to them. Very Happy silent

I agree with what you said about not watching over the child. People should be responsible enough to have a kid and not be worried that health problems might affect them

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri May 20, 2011 5:27 pm

penguin94 wrote:1.) I think that is okay to have a baby until around forty for both sexes. That way you aren't the "old mamma or papa". I think it's weird to have a baby and you have wrinkles. Besides, when you are older, you tend not to have as much energy or patience so you would most likely not be able to play with your kid as much or treat them kindly.

I agree but I think the age should be higher. School can take alot of years from a persons life. If that person wants to follow their goal first then have kids I dont think they should be denied.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  iluvowls on Fri May 20, 2011 11:36 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:2. Doctors probably should be able to limit the age of having kids. This should only take place in certain cases. For example, in the story the people who wanted to have kids were well off and in good health. If they were to die the child would probably be ok. However if this were the case for a couple who had health problems and was older then if they were to die then the child would be alone and put into foster care.

I disagree that the couple should be allowed to have the child just because they're rich. Just because they have money doesn't mean they can't die and that the kids won't be put in foster care. If you're too old, you're too old.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  iluvowls on Fri May 20, 2011 11:42 pm

tweetywizard wrote:
#2 - Should medical doctors deny certain people the right to use reproductive technology? When should they?
They should deny people who's life could possibly be in danger,but as for anyone else, if thats what they want then you give it to them. Very Happy silent

I disagree that people should just be able to get what they want. Just because someone is currently in good health, if they are that old, that could change quickly. And just because they are healthy, they are still old and are going to be tired. Their bodies should not be pregnant. Their live are going to end soon whether they're healthy or not. It's not worth risking a childs happiness to have a kid that old.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Suga-Mama on Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 am

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?

I don't think there is a certain age its not okay to give birth to a baby. If the mother is in good health and it wouldn't be a risk for death or health problems then having a baby is okay. But if there is a risk, like maybe the mother's body can't handle it or she has many health problems and there is a high possibility of her dying before the child is 18 then no it is NOT okay. I think the same applies to the father. It all depends on health beacause the parents have to be around to take care of the child. Both parents need to sit and think about the future. They need to talk about if they will be physically able to take care of this child in the future. Suspect scratch

But would you still allow a perfectly healthy 70 year old woman to have a child. Even if she was in perfect health an had the baby, still don't think she should do it because, no offense, but she may not survive the process of raising the child. She may die when her baby is only 5 years old, leaving the child without a mother. That is why i think that there has to be an age limit. There are just too many risks at old age to be having a baby.

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Suga-Mama on Sat May 21, 2011 7:46 am

timmy buck buck wrote:

Answer BOTH of the questions below in your post. Remember to respond to at least 2 of your peers.

#1 - At what maternal age, in your opinion, is it NOT okay to give birth to a baby? At what paternal age is it NOT okay to become a new father?
hONESTLY IF YOUR OVER THE AGE OF 45 YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KIDS, EVEN 45 IS PUSHING IT. i THINK THAT A PARENTS SHOULD BE YOUNG WHEN THEY HAVE KIDS BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU CAN'T KEEP UP WITH YOUR CHILDREN AND MIGHT NOT HAVE THE ENERGY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM AND PROVIDE THEM WITH THE PROPER LOVE AND CARE THEY NEED ALONG WITH A PLAYFUL NATURE. a MOM NEEDS TO BE YOUNG ENOUGH SO THAT HER BODY CAN HANDLE THE STRESS OF BIRTH AND A NINE MONTH CARRIAGE, IF HER BODY IS WEARING DOWN BECAUSE OF AGE THEN THE PREGNANCY COULD POSIBLY BREAK DOWN HER FRAGILE BODY. i THINK 45 IS THE MAX FOR A MAN AS WELL BECAUSE IF HE IS OLD HOW CAN HE HELP "MAKE" THE BABY WITHOUT HIS BACK GIVING OUT, Hahahahahhahaha. aLSO OLD MEN ARE STUBBORN AND CRANKY, THEY DONT NEED TO RAISE KIDS.

You have a more detailed view of the situation, but I agree with you. There are just times on peoples lives when having a baby is just too old. The parents should think about the risk and ask themselves if they really want to take the increased chance of having a baby with down syndrome or a bith defect. That is not fair to the baby.

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Bioethics - Too Old to Have A Baby??

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum