5th Hour - Eugenics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 am

Access the Eugenics Article for this week's discussion at http://hstrial-ahancock2.homestead.com/Favorites.html . After reading the article, answer BOTH of the questions below:

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

INITIAL POST - Due Wednesday, March 30 at 11:59 pm
RESPONSE POSTS (to at least 2 of your classmates) - Due Friday, April 1 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  whippersnappkid on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm

I think that eugenics is an effective way to solve a problem. As I read this article I noticed that Marian went over a few ideas that will probably offend someone. Although I don't agree with some of the things he said I believe eugenics could solve problems, I've always wondered if it could stop the spread of STD's.

I disagree with the idea that intelligence is so deeply effected by genes. If two of the smartest people had a baby and didn't give it any education, I doubt it would be more intelligent than a an average couples baby who will go through an education. I don't believe eugenics would solve this problem as simply as a baby being born with two intelligent parents, I think it needs to go deeper to the child's environment. To really solve the problem you would need to keep people who can't support a child from having children. Students in high school having kids seems to show the devolution of society seeing as how they most likely wouldn't be a good candidate to support a child.

There's a movie that has to do with devolution due uneducated generations populating the earth. It's a comedy called Idiocracy, It's rated R.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

whippersnappkid

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I think its pretty cool, you could solve a ton of problems with it. people who actually care could have healthy babies. those who cared would be those who didnt do pot or drugs or werent careful of their own body to ensure the safety/health of their upcoming baby. it made me mad thinking about the health issues that kids have because some people just shouldnt have kids at all...

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

Uhmmmm. not allll people with smart brains make smart babies.... like what whippersnappkid, said, you cant just have two smart people make a baby and expect it to be smart all on its own without an education.
AND
our world is not populated by ALL idiots... sure they may not be book smart, but that doesnt mean they cant have a sense of what would be the better thing to do. like they could be the PRESIDENT, not with book smarts, but with street smarts. that can get you places too!

whatitdochickado

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OH MY GOD WHY IS THIS 9 PAGES!!!!

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 am

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

i think that the article does make a strong argument and every time i had a question it shut me up with the next answer and like youll be able to see that i was a tad offended by the information in the next answer but i mean its the truth so like i have to side with it. cause like our society will fail if every one is coming out of poverty and trying launch a space shuttle.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

Well im not sure if this is a weakness but when the article stated "Taken collectively, these traits constitute the ability of a population to maintain and advance civilization - the most precious of human gifts - for without civilization, chaos reigns, "might makes right," and suffering abounds" it made it seem as if like if you are in the hood and you have kids that means that they are bound to be suck donkeys at life cause they didnt fall into the category of advance civilization. i think maybe im just a tad offended cause ive seen people have bad up brings but they still made it for instance my mom cause her mom still doesnt have a g.e.d and shes what 64 but she also has 8 kids and like 6 of em are like screwed. and i know its a strong argument but i guess im just sensitive to words this week -_- and i just read the first question so i wonder could i copy and paste and use this for both answers huh?


Just so i dont get this question wrong...how do we know if smartness is heritable cause einsteins parents may have been slum workers and they had one of the smartest kids on earth.

FounderofGFFandBabycat

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 am



1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I was annoyed because I hate when a source says that something is a fact when that's not neccessarily true. This is explained in question two. I'm also annoyed with the fact that race is brought into the matter because race is as descriminatory as you make it. I strongly uphold that life is impacted by your attitude, not the resources you were given or how you were raised or even who you were birthed from. I am only slightly like my mother or father. If you had to connect us on behavior, you'd never guess it. I also was annoyed by the statement about the least intelligent people having the most kids. I agree that yes, unintelligent people may have a lot of children, but the children can still be educated. There are far too many programs in place in this modern day and age for this to even be used as an excuse. There are too many options and too many opportunities missed due to lack of personal awareness.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

In the article, it says that intelligence is hereditary. I find that I've seen far too many instances where this is untrue. My aunt was born to my grandparents both of whom are not very intelligent, but she's brilliant. I was born to two high school drop outs, and yet I do relatively well in school. So despite their studies, it's not always true. There's always the exception to the rule. I also think that "the least-intelligent people are having the most children" is a load of crock. I don't think that intelligence has anything to do with reproduction. It's more of a matter of lifestyle. I think that busier people or people that are more into their careers rather than a family are less likely to reproduce. If they happen to be intelligent, then so be it, but an intelligent mother may only be a housewife with several children. Michelle Duggar has 19 children by the grace of God, and I don't consider her to be unintelligent.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  smiley11 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I don't really agree with this article. It talked about that the persons race and intelligence can determine a child's intelligence. Which isn't right at all. Then it stated that like retardation numbers would go down if the retarded people were to just adopt and go on permanent birth control....not cool

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I honestly don't think that intelligence is hereditary...Their parents may not be intelligent but the child can be taught and be educated into doing the right things. Two intelligent parents don't always have intelligent children, and not all children are book smarts and they manage to get through school just like everyone else.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Article? NO! Book? JUST ABOUT!!!!!!

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 pm

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I don't really agree with the article. They were basically saying that if your parents are dumb their kids will be dumb and if the parent are smart the kids will be smart. But there are many situations where the parents weren't very educated or just did't care and this drove the child to work harder to do better than them. I think its wrong to say if a person is a certain way they should't have kids unless they are just unable to take care of them. It's up to the child to work to be smart or be dumb though a little encouragement can make difference.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.
The article insists that you inherit your intelegence. They say how twins can be brought up in two different lifestlyes and be equally inteligent. But that could be for many reasons. Maybe they just both have the drive to be smart. And its not always true that both twins are the same..they have different personalities and one may smarter than the other or maybe one just shows their inteligence more than the other. You never know what it could be. study scratch study scratch

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm

smiley11 wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I don't really agree with this article. It talked about that the persons race and intelligence can determine a child's intelligence. Which isn't right at all. Then it stated that like retardation numbers would go down if the retarded people were to just adopt and go on permanent birth control....not cool

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I honestly don't think that intelligence is hereditary...Their parents may not be intelligent but the child can be taught and be educated into doing the right things. Two intelligent parents don't always have intelligent children, and not all children are book smarts and they manage to get through school just like everyone else.

right! I feel like they're discriminating against people. They need to maybe study more parents and their kids because its seems they just base it one of a few families.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:I think that eugenics is an effective way to solve a problem. As I read this article I noticed that Marian went over a few ideas that will probably offend someone. Although I don't agree with some of the things he said I believe eugenics could solve problems, I've always wondered if it could stop the spread of STD's.

I disagree with the idea that intelligence is so deeply effected by genes. If two of the smartest people had a baby and didn't give it any education, I doubt it would be more intelligent than a an average couples baby who will go through an education. I don't believe eugenics would solve this problem as simply as a baby being born with two intelligent parents, I think it needs to go deeper to the child's environment. To really solve the problem you would need to keep people who can't support a child from having children. Students in high school having kids seems to show the devolution of society seeing as how they most likely wouldn't be a good candidate to support a child.

There's a movie that has to do with devolution due uneducated generations populating the earth. It's a comedy called Idiocracy, It's rated R.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
I kinda agree with your answer to the second question. If a person who can't support a child has kids they can't teach them whats right and it may make it harder for them to be better than their parents.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 pm

. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I think the topic of eugenics was a little interesting. Maybe because its a rare topic that i wouldn't really think about. I honestly think the theory is kind of true but then again I'm no to sure. The emotions i experienced were mixed. At one point i was agreeing completely w/ the topic, and at others times i was confused. Not all intelligent parents make bright kids. I 100% agree w/ the fact about the intelligence and race comparison.

-One weakness I would point out is that not all intelligent parents make bright kids and not all lower intelligent parents make dumb kids. silent

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SOO...YOU WOULD JUST MAKE US READ THAT BOOK..!!!! GRR

Post  GummyBearLove on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 pm

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

To be honest, after reading this it actually made me think a lot about things. Like things in here i never even considered. This brought a lot of things that I believe some people would never had said to life, however i LOVE the topic of eugenics. I am a person who likes controversy. I think reading this article a lot of people will have a lot to say and i would love that. But on a serious note, i think eugenics can help the world out more than people would like to think.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I really disliked the fact that they said Human intelligence is largely hereditary. I dont agree with that. I personally know someone whos parents are both high school drop outs and she is a 4.0 student. I also know someone whos parents have very good jobs and stayed in school for their advanced degrees and he is just an ok student. I think that just because your parents are intelligent people that doesnt mean your are going to be overly intelligent or anything. You still have to work and pay attention like everyone else does. I think that was one of the only things i disagreed with
Arrow Suspect Like a Star @ heaven Idea Embarassed Rolling Eyes Cool Smile Sad Wink I love you clown pale silent cyclops Suspect
RANDOM FACES..!!! Smile

GummyBearLove

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A problem solver maybe

Post  violinist13 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 am

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I think that we should find all the things eugenics can help solve. If eugenics can stop STD's that would be great. There are a few things some people might get affended by in this very easily.

The one thing i dont get is why people always think if two smart people have a baby the baby would be smart. Intelegence has nothing to do with how smart you baby is. If you want your baby to be smart teach it at a early age so they get a head start.

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  smiley11 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:18 am

violinist13 wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I think that we should find all the things eugenics can help solve. If eugenics can stop STD's that would be great. There are a few things some people might get affended by in this very easily.

The one thing i dont get is why people always think if two smart people have a baby the baby would be smart. Intelegence has nothing to do with how smart you baby is. If you want your baby to be smart teach it at a early age so they get a head start.

I agree with what your saying about the STD thing, that would be a great thing. I also agree with that if two smart parents have a baby doesn't always meant that they are automatically going to be smart. They will have to teach their children just like everyone else.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  smiley11 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I don't really agree with the article. They were basically saying that if your parents are dumb their kids will be dumb and if the parent are smart the kids will be smart. But there are many situations where the parents weren't very educated or just did't care and this drove the child to work harder to do better than them. I think its wrong to say if a person is a certain way they should't have kids unless they are just unable to take care of them. It's up to the child to work to be smart or be dumb though a little encouragement can make difference.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.
The article insists that you inherit your intelegence. They say how twins can be brought up in two different lifestlyes and be equally inteligent. But that could be for many reasons. Maybe they just both have the drive to be smart. And its not always true that both twins are the same..they have different personalities and one may smarter than the other or maybe one just shows their inteligence more than the other. You never know what it could be. study scratch study scratch

I agree with you, I also don't agree with this article. This is true, most kids have to strive in school while some kids are just breezing through school like its nothing. I also agree that not all intelligent people have smart children and that all unintelligent people have dumb children, it is mostly based on the life style of the family and how hard the child strives to be successful in life.

smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  20north_star12 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

smiley11 wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I don't really agree with this article. It talked about that the persons race and intelligence can determine a child's intelligence. Which isn't right at all. Then it stated that like retardation numbers would go down if the retarded people were to just adopt and go on permanent birth control....not cool

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I honestly don't think that intelligence is hereditary...Their parents may not be intelligent but the child can be taught and be educated into doing the right things. Two intelligent parents don't always have intelligent children, and not all children are book smarts and they manage to get through school just like everyone else.


Words cannot express the depth that I agree with you. I think this entire article is biased or something because they state things are fact when it's not true. I agree whole heartedly that people may be born with a certain level of intelligence, but are apt to making it through school and becoming intelligent.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  20north_star12 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am

whatitdochickado wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I think its pretty cool, you could solve a ton of problems with it. people who actually care could have healthy babies. those who cared would be those who didnt do pot or drugs or werent careful of their own body to ensure the safety/health of their upcoming baby. it made me mad thinking about the health issues that kids have because some people just shouldnt have kids at all...

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

Uhmmmm. not allll people with smart brains make smart babies.... like what whippersnappkid, said, you cant just have two smart people make a baby and expect it to be smart all on its own without an education.
AND
our world is not populated by ALL idiots... sure they may not be book smart, but that doesnt mean they cant have a sense of what would be the better thing to do. like they could be the PRESIDENT, not with book smarts, but with street smarts. that can get you places too!

I think that the idea of eugenics is just another manipulation on the human race, and this article proves it. They said how it can solve health issues...This is nice and all, but wasn't everyone just freaking out about overpopulation? I agree with what you said in question two about how street smarts can get you somewhere. I think that street smarts are just as important as book smarts.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

First of all, i am very discouraged at the fact that we all had to read,this senior project/master degree thesis paper, written constitution thingy. not cool Amy. Anyway, I think it was pretty bogus that the article stated that the success of a child is based on the success of the parents. That reminds me of When Drake/Tupac said, "From the concrete, who knew that a flower would grow?" There is a class taught at Harvard about his life, and lyrical geniusness. Someone could grow up with waaaaay more humbler beginnings than all of us in Florissant and grow up to be someone like Barack Obama. Speaking of which, Obama had a rough life, and so did his wife, Michelle. Michelle Obama grew up in the ghetto,in a one room apartment with her mother and brother, and she slept on the couch of her living room. Oh, by the way, she graduated from Princeton university summa cum laude. The fact is, it doesnt matter where you came from, it just matters who is around you. You are your environment. If you live with gangbangers and smoke weed with them all day, chances are, you will be one of them. Or, you could live in the ghetto, and your mom could be smart as hell, and want better for you and stay on you about school, etc. and you could grow up to be Oprah Winfrey. It doesn't matter where you come from or who you are, it matters what you decide to do with your situation. Therefore, I don't agree with the article, because everyone is different, and we cant all be carbon copies like the article says.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

i think that the article does make a strong argument and every time i had a question it shut me up with the next answer and like youll be able to see that i was a tad offended by the information in the next answer but i mean its the truth so like i have to side with it. cause like our society will fail if every one is coming out of poverty and trying launch a space shuttle.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

Well im not sure if this is a weakness but when the article stated "Taken collectively, these traits constitute the ability of a population to maintain and advance civilization - the most precious of human gifts - for without civilization, chaos reigns, "might makes right," and suffering abounds" it made it seem as if like if you are in the hood and you have kids that means that they are bound to be suck donkeys at life cause they didnt fall into the category of advance civilization. i think maybe im just a tad offended cause ive seen people have bad up brings but they still made it for instance my mom cause her mom still doesnt have a g.e.d and shes what 64 but she also has 8 kids and like 6 of em are like screwed. and i know its a strong argument but i guess im just sensitive to words this week -_- and i just read the first question so i wonder could i copy and paste and use this for both answers huh?


Just so i dont get this question wrong...how do we know if smartness is heritable cause einsteins parents may have been slum workers and they had one of the smartest kids on earth.

I think this is a really funny discussion board post! And yeah I agree with you about someone's environment not hindering who they're gonna be in life. You right. you right

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:I think that eugenics is an effective way to solve a problem. As I read this article I noticed that Marian went over a few ideas that will probably offend someone. Although I don't agree with some of the things he said I believe eugenics could solve problems, I've always wondered if it could stop the spread of STD's.

I disagree with the idea that intelligence is so deeply effected by genes. If two of the smartest people had a baby and didn't give it any education, I doubt it would be more intelligent than a an average couples baby who will go through an education. I don't believe eugenics would solve this problem as simply as a baby being born with two intelligent parents, I think it needs to go deeper to the child's environment. To really solve the problem you would need to keep people who can't support a child from having children. Students in high school having kids seems to show the devolution of society seeing as how they most likely wouldn't be a good candidate to support a child.

There's a movie that has to do with devolution due uneducated generations populating the earth. It's a comedy called Idiocracy, It's rated R.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

I believe that you are correct, in that genes do not affect how smart a person is. you right you right

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  shopaholic94 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 pm

violinist13 wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I think that we should find all the things eugenics can help solve. If eugenics can stop STD's that would be great. There are a few things some people might get affended by in this very easily.

The one thing i dont get is why people always think if two smart people have a baby the baby would be smart. Intelegence has nothing to do with how smart you baby is. If you want your baby to be smart teach it at a early age so they get a head start.

You are right, it could help to stop a lot of diseases, but I am sure that as curious as we human beings are, we would not stop there, we would go much further. And where would be the period? where would we stop using eugenis for our own vices?

shopaholic94

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  shopaholic94 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:12 am

[quote="snookieluvs2tan"]
whippersnappkid wrote:I think that eugenics is an effective way to solve a problem. As I read this article I noticed that Marian went over a few ideas that will probably offend someone. Although I don't agree with some of the things he said I believe eugenics could solve problems, I've always wondered if it could stop the spread of STD's.

I disagree with the idea that intelligence is so deeply effected by genes. If two of the smartest people had a baby and didn't give it any education, I doubt it would be more intelligent than a an average couples baby who will go through an education. I don't believe eugenics would solve this problem as simply as a baby being born with two intelligent parents, I think it needs to go deeper to the child's environment. To really solve the problem you would need to keep people who can't support a child from having children. Students in high school having kids seems to show the devolution of society seeing as how they most likely wouldn't be a good candidate to support a child.

There's a movie that has to do with devolution due uneducated generations populating the earth. It's a comedy called Idiocracy, It's rated R.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

I believe that you are correct, in that genes do not affect how smart a person is. you right you right[/quote

I think that in a way they do, because in the end, you are who you are thanks to your parents genetic information, wether you want it or not.It is true that from very smart people, sometimes their children are not nearly as smart, but of course in genetics probability and chance play a huge role. The education and environment that sorround children is one of the main causes of how our brain and intelligence develop.

shopaholic94

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eugenics

Post  NorthStar on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.
I do feel that this topic was very informing i never new about this topic (eugenics.) I was really neutral reading this topic didt make me feel any emotions when i read its just very informative and made a great argument for its topic.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.
It does have some great strong arguments but i still dont believe that race and nationality determines ur likeness of being sucessful but that's my view point. There many kides that may just be smart in general but its home training that the child ressives from that parents that will determine the outcome of the child future and a good role model to look up too.


NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Love_Muffins on Mon May 23, 2011 12:41 pm

. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

I dont thinlk the article is very strong. it had a lot of weak points that should have been clear up. I was a little mad because it had no facts to back it up.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

I disagree with the whole argument about genes. The place in life comes from what u make of it not what floating around in you blood stream.

Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Love_Muffins on Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:First of all, i am very discouraged at the fact that we all had to read,this senior project/master degree thesis paper, written constitution thingy. not cool Amy. Anyway, I think it was pretty bogus that the article stated that the success of a child is based on the success of the parents. That reminds me of When Drake/Tupac said, "From the concrete, who knew that a flower would grow?" There is a class taught at Harvard about his life, and lyrical geniusness. Someone could grow up with waaaaay more humbler beginnings than all of us in Florissant and grow up to be someone like Barack Obama. Speaking of which, Obama had a rough life, and so did his wife, Michelle. Michelle Obama grew up in the ghetto,in a one room apartment with her mother and brother, and she slept on the couch of her living room. Oh, by the way, she graduated from Princeton university summa cum laude. The fact is, it doesnt matter where you came from, it just matters who is around you. You are your environment. If you live with gangbangers and smoke weed with them all day, chances are, you will be one of them. Or, you could live in the ghetto, and your mom could be smart as hell, and want better for you and stay on you about school, etc. and you could grow up to be Oprah Winfrey. It doesn't matter where you come from or who you are, it matters what you decide to do with your situation. Therefore, I don't agree with the article, because everyone is different, and we cant all be carbon copies like the article says.
i agree with you 100%. Paris hilton people are smart but she's a real dumb a.

Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Love_Muffins on Mon May 23, 2011 12:46 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the topic of eugenics? What emotions did you experience reading this article? Explain.

i think that the article does make a strong argument and every time i had a question it shut me up with the next answer and like youll be able to see that i was a tad offended by the information in the next answer but i mean its the truth so like i have to side with it. cause like our society will fail if every one is coming out of poverty and trying launch a space shuttle.

2. This article argues FOR eugenics. Find one or two weaknesses in the article and and argue AGAINST eugenics.

Well im not sure if this is a weakness but when the article stated "Taken collectively, these traits constitute the ability of a population to maintain and advance civilization - the most precious of human gifts - for without civilization, chaos reigns, "might makes right," and suffering abounds" it made it seem as if like if you are in the hood and you have kids that means that they are bound to be suck donkeys at life cause they didnt fall into the category of advance civilization. i think maybe im just a tad offended cause ive seen people have bad up brings but they still made it for instance my mom cause her mom still doesnt have a g.e.d and shes what 64 but she also has 8 kids and like 6 of em are like screwed. and i know its a strong argument but i guess im just sensitive to words this week -_- and i just read the first question so i wonder could i copy and paste and use this for both answers huh?


Just so i dont get this question wrong...how do we know if smartness is heritable cause einsteins parents may have been slum workers and they had one of the smartest kids on earth.
I think it depends on the poeple the chuild is put around because i know a lot of people that had came up from nothing.

Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Eugenics

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:47 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum