5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 pm

Watch CSPAN's explanation of the Tuskegee Syphillis Study at http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/168001-1 . And then watch CBS News' story of Henrietta Lacks at http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6304949n&tag=related;photovideo . Afterwards, respond to the following question:

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, March 9 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, March 11 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  earthycolors on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They both compare because they both were evil things to do to them; to take Henrietta's cells without her permission or without her or her family even knowing about it, and the U.S. gov't lying to and betraying all of those innocent African Americans who thought they were receiving help for their syphilis. The two scenarios are similar to each other because not one person knew what was REALLY going on to them, and in both cases, they took without permission and broke laws doing it. With Henrietta, the scientist stole her cells without her permission and in the syphilis case, they defied the gov't law stating that anybody with syphilis was to be treated. I think the situations happened because of the greediness of the country and the need for the country to aquire more and more information about everything. As soon as the gov't knew about the HeLa cells not being able to die and living forever, there was no way they would give it up. I do think that something like this could happen today. It could be happening right now and we wouldn't even know about it. THE WORLD DOESN'T REALLY LEARN LESSONS, NOT FOR LONG ANYWAYS. IT JUST LEARNS WAYS AROUND IT. If the government finds something valuable enough to keep and is afraid of backlash from the people, they simply won't tell anybody, the same way a kid would hide an extra cookie from the mother while he secretly eats it in the other room.
avatar
earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  smiley11 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:42 pm

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

Henrietta and the African American males were wrongly treated by whites and their own government. The African American males were tricked, they thought that they were seeking help and treatment. Instead the doctors were taking their cells and studying them instead of getting them treatment. Which i think was wrong to do in the first place. Also, what the did to Henrietta was wrong as well. Taking her cells when she died and her family not knowing that they did so, just to study them. None of the money that they made on her cells went to the family at all, that is just wrong, wrong, wrong..... I don't think that something like this will happen again today.


Last edited by smiley11 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I can't be witty when I feel like mold...

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study campares with the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks in that both cases experienced a sense of non-knowing. In both instances, someone was being lied to. The men of the Syphillis study were lied to because they were not told the real reason of why they were being studied, and Henrietta Lacks was lied to because she or her family were never told that her cells were being taken until decades later, which I think is pretty shady. They are different in the fact that the African American males were being continuously studied for years with various men, while HeLa cells have multiplied by the trillions throughout medical history, and today. I think these situations happened because back then, white America could take advantage of African Americans. Not many people, especially those who lived on farms, or couldn't go to school were not very educated. Whites on the other hand, had many more opportunities than blacks, and could not be taken advantage of. Plus, like the video said, African American males believed that they were doing something good, and wanted to be healthy so they could take care of and provide for their families. Also, during that time period, blacks were focusing on being treated equally, so it probably never crossed their mind that "free" healthcare was killing them.
I dont think that this could happen again today, becuase people have the knowledge of what is going on around them, and the government has stricter regulations when it comes to healthcare, the FDA, and what types of medical programs people are allowed to be experimented on. Besides, I don't think anyone truly wants to be treated like an experimental lab rat.

snookieluvs2tan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  whatitdochickado on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both instances, Lacks and the men's cells were taken without their own/families knowledge. The men did not know that they were being experimented on because they had Syphilis. They thought their disease was being cured. Lacks' cells were taken after her death and multiplied for years for science education. These situations happened because no one was expecting it. White americans felt it was "alright" to take advantage. and that blacks had no rights. which is totally not right... im ashamed of my race for that. People are more educated and protected today for these instances to happen again. but you never know. i hope it doesnt repeat itself.

whatitdochickado

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Government Sucks.

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both cases, the patients were exploited and lied to by people in authoritive positions. They weren't treated as humans and weren't given respect of their basic human rights as garunteed in the United States Constitution. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study was different than Henrietta Lacks's story because the men included in this were not treated at all or used to help creat any new vaccinations. With Henrietta Lacks, her cells did. Without these HeLa cells, the last 50 years of medical advancements would not have been possible. The use of these cells are countless and beyond recognition. As wrong as it sounds to say this, but Henrietta Lacks's story had a positive spin. I think that the men of Tuskegee should have had sometime of clue as to them not being treated. They lived in the same town, and new who was going to this program. When the deaths began, how did they not question things? I think that the government lies constantly to hide things that they don't want Americans to know, so that they won't look stupid or have to constantly apologize for things they've done wrong. I think that a lot of things are covered up and kept secret from the average American who doesn't have full access to the truth. I don't think that research would be conducted without acknowledgement beforehand because we don't really need to harvest cells as they did with Henrietta or watch how a disease affects a race and gender like the Tuskegee Syphillis Study. I think that researchers do a good job of explaining what's happening and what they want to find. I think that the country has developed to a level where this would not go unpunished, so a lot of researchers wouldn't dare commit such a violation.

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  diamondback94 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

they both are similar because both were being tested on and not told by someone about whats happening to them. They different because the Tuskegee men was being treated for many years and HeLa cells have multiplied and are around today. I think these situations happened because people wanted to see if they could find out a way to cure the diseases
and make a profit or maybe they was just mean and didn't want to tell anyone. I do think something like this could happen today it could be happening right now. Why would someone do this the world may never know.

diamondback94

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

An Horrible thing to do to people

Post  violinist13 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 am

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They Both are related by that they discriminate African Americans. They are both the same by that both used African Americans to test on and that people died in the end. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study only use men and the hela cell study use a woman. I think these event happened because there wasnt anybody from the government watching over the hospitals to inforce the law. I dont think this will happen again because the government will not allow for other people to get hurt or tested on.
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  violinist13 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 am

snookieluvs2tan wrote:I dont think that this could happen again today, becuase people have the knowledge of what is going on around them, and the government has stricter regulations when it comes to healthcare, the FDA, and what types of medical programs people are allowed to be experimented on. Besides, I don't think anyone truly wants to be treated like an experimental lab rat.
I agree with you and i know i wouldnt want to be a test rat!
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  violinist13 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

earthycolors wrote: I do think that something like this could happen today. It could be happening right now and we wouldn't even know about it. THE WORLD DOESN'T REALLY LEARN LESSONS, NOT FOR LONG ANYWAYS. IT JUST LEARNS WAYS AROUND IT. If the government finds something valuable enough to keep and is afraid of backlash from the people, they simply won't tell anybody, the same way a kid would hide an extra cookie from the mother while he secretly eats it in the other room.

I like how you back up your information on why you think it can happen again and im starting to agree a little bit with you
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  shopaholic94 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They both compare because both were wrong things to do; and it is even worse the fact that the goverment allowed it and wasn´t there to protect the rights of Henrietta or those african americans. They are both similar:None of them were told about that doctors were taking cells away from them without permission. Their rights were not respected and the families did not receive compensation at all.
Different. Henrietta's cells were stolen without permission, and they made a lot of money, from which not even a penny was given to the family.
The poor african americans HAD to be treated, because it was stated that anyone with syphillis would have to receive treatment.
Those situations happened because scientist were close to revolutionary discoveries, but they just did not have the right equipment to do it ( the human cells) So they just took it without caring about all the lifes that they were "stealing". Doctors also saw the possibility of making good money; both them and madical companies took the opportunity without thinking about the consequences.
Right now new diseases are appearing, and we do not have treatment for them. I think that if the possibility of making a lot of money was presented again, most people would take it with no doubt, because we have become a shelfish society, in which our only objective is money.

shopaholic94

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Insert Title Here

Post  londylou on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:23 am

The main thing that both of these situations have in common is ignorance. Both parties were ignorant of the fact that our very corrupt government was intentionally harming them. Also, these evil acts were done to black people, by white people. They are different b/c in one situation, lives were being harmed and in the other, lives were not. Despite the fact that Henrietta's cells were used to improve science, her family was ignorant of this fact and should have received the money made from this research. These situations happened b/c the majority of white people in america still think that black people are worthless animals and that they can do anything they want to to them. I do think that something like this can happen again. Something could be going on now. Look how long it took for Henrietta's family to find out that scientists had been using her cells. =)

-LondyLou ♥

londylou

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  smiley11 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 am

violinist13 wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They Both are related by that they discriminate African Americans. They are both the same by that both used African Americans to test on and that people died in the end. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study only use men and the hela cell study use a woman. I think these event happened because there wasnt anybody from the government watching over the hospitals to inforce the law. I dont think this will happen again because the government will not allow for other people to get hurt or tested on.

I agree. They shouldn't have taken those African Americans cell to study either. I don't think that this will happen again either because the doctors need to get the consent of the person that they are taking the cells from.
avatar
smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  smiley11 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 am

whatitdochickado wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both instances, Lacks and the men's cells were taken without their own/families knowledge. The men did not know that they were being experimented on because they had Syphilis. They thought their disease was being cured. Lacks' cells were taken after her death and multiplied for years for science education. These situations happened because no one was expecting it. White americans felt it was "alright" to take advantage. and that blacks had no rights. which is totally not right... im ashamed of my race for that. People are more educated and protected today for these instances to happen again. but you never know. i hope it doesnt repeat itself.

I totally agree with you. I believe that it was wrong as well. They should have at least told them what they were doing with their cells then maybe they would have given them permission to work with their cells. I'm also ashamed of my race for doing this as well. I also hope that this part of history doesn't happen again either.
avatar
smiley11

Posts : 69
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  earthycolors on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

londylou wrote:The main thing that both of these situations have in common is ignorance. Both parties were ignorant of the fact that our very corrupt government was intentionally harming them. Also, these evil acts were done to black people, by white people. They are different b/c in one situation, lives were being harmed and in the other, lives were not. Despite the fact that Henrietta's cells were used to improve science, her family was ignorant of this fact and should have received the money made from this research. These situations happened b/c the majority of white people in america still think that black people are worthless animals and that they can do anything they want to to them. I do think that something like this can happen again. Something could be going on now. Look how long it took for Henrietta's family to find out that scientists had been using her cells. =)

-LondyLou ♥

I agree with you on almost everything you typed. The only thing I don't agree with you about is that the majority of white people in America think black people are worthless animals. Actually, it's on the contrary. Racism has gone down over the decades, but now, the minimum of Americans that are also white think black people are worthless dogs. But everything else, I agree with you with.
avatar
earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  earthycolors on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:25 pm

violinist13 wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They Both are related by that they discriminate African Americans. They are both the same by that both used African Americans to test on and that people died in the end. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study only use men and the hela cell study use a woman. I think these event happened because there wasnt anybody from the government watching over the hospitals to inforce the law. I dont think this will happen again because the government will not allow for other people to get hurt or tested on.

I somewhat agree with you violinist 13, but there are some things I don't agree with you on, but everybody is entitled to their opinion. Smile. But I think in the HeLa case, the govvy was all over it, there's no way they'd let something this big be left alone. And I also think this could happen again because, like I said before, if the govvy find something that's beyond their wildest dreams and could mean great things ahead, but are afraid of telling the people for the fear of backlash, they just wont tell anybody. Take Area 51 for example. The govvy aren't leaking a single thing to the people about whats really going on there, but they wouldn't have people who walk within 1 foot close to the fence shot on sight for no reason. And they wouldn't make the entire area inside the fence a free fire zone for trespassers for no reason (damnit! what are they hiding??!!!!). lol
avatar
earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

djdisncjbnijkhnsajmm,nmdxuhjbnhdjnbbcnmj hbsj

Post  Love_Muffins on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:37 pm

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

The two are similar because they bout involed black being treated wrong. They're didnt because Henrietta wasn't hurt in the mist of everything. I think these things happen because there was no one to say stop. I very much think that something like this can happen again.
avatar
Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Love_Muffins on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm

earthycolors wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They both compare because they both were evil things to do to them; to take Henrietta's cells without her permission or without her or her family even knowing about it, and the U.S. gov't lying to and betraying all of those innocent African Americans who thought they were receiving help for their syphilis. The two scenarios are similar to each other because not one person knew what was REALLY going on to them, and in both cases, they took without permission and broke laws doing it. With Henrietta, the scientist stole her cells without her permission and in the syphilis case, they defied the gov't law stating that anybody with syphilis was to be treated. I think the situations happened because of the greediness of the country and the need for the country to aquire more and more information about everything. As soon as the gov't knew about the HeLa cells not being able to die and living forever, there was no way they would give it up. I do think that something like this could happen today. It could be happening right now and we wouldn't even know about it. THE WORLD DOESN'T REALLY LEARN LESSONS, NOT FOR LONG ANYWAYS. IT JUST LEARNS WAYS AROUND IT. If the government finds something valuable enough to keep and is afraid of backlash from the people, they simply won't tell anybody, the same way a kid would hide an extra cookie from the mother while he secretly eats it in the other room.

U make a good point when u say they dont learn lesson. like Napoleon and Hitler
avatar
Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Love_Muffins on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

smiley11 wrote:QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

Henrietta and the African American males were wrongly treated by whites and their own government. The African American males were tricked, they thought that they were seeking help and treatment. Instead the doctors were taking their cells and studying them instead of getting them treatment. Which i think was wrong to do in the first place. Also, what the did to Henrietta was wrong as well. Taking her cells when she died and her family not knowing that they did so, just to study them. None of the money that they made on her cells went to the family at all, that is just wrong, wrong, wrong..... I don't think that something like this will happen again today.

I disagree with you. I do think it can happen again
avatar
Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thats messed up!

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

I think the 2 scenarios are the same because in both they went behind peoples backs and used them for experiments. They are different because in Henrietta Lacks they took cells from her to experiment without her knowledge but in the Syphillis project they experimented on actual people and manipulated them to do so. I think these situations because scientists were so quick to have the chance to experiment and use actual people for their research. They probably felt that it wouldn't be made a big deal of if they did this to African Americans. I think something like this could definitely happen again. This may be going on right now but nobody has gotten caught yet. People will always find a way to get what they want and will find new ways once they do.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

earthycolors wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They both compare because they both were evil things to do to them; to take Henrietta's cells without her permission or without her or her family even knowing about it, and the U.S. gov't lying to and betraying all of those innocent African Americans who thought they were receiving help for their syphilis. The two scenarios are similar to each other because not one person knew what was REALLY going on to them, and in both cases, they took without permission and broke laws doing it. With Henrietta, the scientist stole her cells without her permission and in the syphilis case, they defied the gov't law stating that anybody with syphilis was to be treated. I think the situations happened because of the greediness of the country and the need for the country to aquire more and more information about everything. As soon as the gov't knew about the HeLa cells not being able to die and living forever, there was no way they would give it up. I do think that something like this could happen today. It could be happening right now and we wouldn't even know about it. THE WORLD DOESN'T REALLY LEARN LESSONS, NOT FOR LONG ANYWAYS. IT JUST LEARNS WAYS AROUND IT. If the government finds something valuable enough to keep and is afraid of backlash from the people, they simply won't tell anybody, the same way a kid would hide an extra cookie from the mother while he secretly eats it in the other room.

haha . thats a good comparison for the Henrietta Lacks situation. lol!

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:The Tuskegee Syphilis Study campares with the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks in that both cases experienced a sense of non-knowing. In both instances, someone was being lied to. The men of the Syphillis study were lied to because they were not told the real reason of why they were being studied, and Henrietta Lacks was lied to because she or her family were never told that her cells were being taken until decades later, which I think is pretty shady. They are different in the fact that the African American males were being continuously studied for years with various men, while HeLa cells have multiplied by the trillions throughout medical history, and today. I think these situations happened because back then, white America could take advantage of African Americans. Not many people, especially those who lived on farms, or couldn't go to school were not very educated. Whites on the other hand, had many more opportunities than blacks, and could not be taken advantage of. Plus, like the video said, African American males believed that they were doing something good, and wanted to be healthy so they could take care of and provide for their families. Also, during that time period, blacks were focusing on being treated equally, so it probably never crossed their mind that "free" healthcare was killing them.
I dont think that this could happen again today, becuase people have the knowledge of what is going on around them, and the government has stricter regulations when it comes to healthcare, the FDA, and what types of medical programs people are allowed to be experimented on. Besides, I don't think anyone truly wants to be treated like an experimental lab rat.
Maybe the goverment is working with these scientist. Maybe they're allowing them to run these experiments. They could be experimenting on you. People never know whats really being done behind closed doors. scratch

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

The Tuskegee Syphillis Study compares to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks by both involving blacks being taking advantage of without any knowledge about it and both have benefited others in the long run. They are different because the Henrietta incident has not been approved up for the way scientists went about it but the family is proud that thier mother is helping others. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study incident upset allot of people and no one really looks at it in a positive way because of what they did to these black males. I think these situations because these scientists knew that thee black mean and black families had little to no knowledge about what was going on. I dont think it would happen again because to many people are being educated about science & how things work.

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm

shopaholic94 wrote:QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

They both compare because both were wrong things to do; and it is even worse the fact that the goverment allowed it and wasn´t there to protect the rights of Henrietta or those african americans. They are both similar:None of them were told about that doctors were taking cells away from them without permission. Their rights were not respected and the families did not receive compensation at all.
Different. Henrietta's cells were stolen without permission, and they made a lot of money, from which not even a penny was given to the family.
The poor african americans HAD to be treated, because it was stated that anyone with syphillis would have to receive treatment.
Those situations happened because scientist were close to revolutionary discoveries, but they just did not have the right equipment to do it ( the human cells) So they just took it without caring about all the lifes that they were "stealing". Doctors also saw the possibility of making good money; both them and madical companies took the opportunity without thinking about the consequences.
Right now new diseases are appearing, and we do not have treatment for them. I think that if the possibility of making a lot of money was presented again, most people would take it with no doubt, because we have become a shelfish society, in which our only objective is money.


I believe people are selfish all the time , we have been selfish in the past and will be , that is human nature Twisted Evil , im selfish you are selfish everyone is selfish , and not all's objective is money , Example: Ms.Hancock sacrificed her class for recycling she didn't do it for money. Laughing

avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:08 pm

20north_star12 wrote:How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both cases, the patients were exploited and lied to by people in authoritive positions. They weren't treated as humans and weren't given respect of their basic human rights as garunteed in the United States Constitution. The Tuskegee Syphillis Study was different than Henrietta Lacks's story because the men included in this were not treated at all or used to help creat any new vaccinations. With Henrietta Lacks, her cells did. Without these HeLa cells, the last 50 years of medical advancements would not have been possible. The use of these cells are countless and beyond recognition. As wrong as it sounds to say this, but Henrietta Lacks's story had a positive spin. I think that the men of Tuskegee should have had sometime of clue as to them not being treated. They lived in the same town, and new who was going to this program. When the deaths began, how did they not question things? I think that the government lies constantly to hide things that they don't want Americans to know, so that they won't look stupid or have to constantly apologize for things they've done wrong. I think that a lot of things are covered up and kept secret from the average American who doesn't have full access to the truth. I don't think that research would be conducted without acknowledgement beforehand because we don't really need to harvest cells as they did with Henrietta or watch how a disease affects a race and gender like the Tuskegee Syphillis Study. I think that researchers do a good job of explaining what's happening and what they want to find. I think that the country has developed to a level where this would not go unpunished, so a lot of researchers wouldn't dare commit such a violation.

I believe government did the right thing and i support government. If our government sucks we wouldn't be still alive, if our government sucks we would go through what Egypt and Libya is going on right now , if our government sucks you wouldn't be talking like this. I believe because of their research they made some good discoveries. To live in this world you have to dominate someone it could be for their rights or for independence.
avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum