3rd Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Watch CSPAN's explanation of the Tuskegee Syphillis Study at http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/168001-1 . And then watch CBS News' story of Henrietta Lacks at http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6304949n&tag=related;photovideo . Afterwards, respond to the following question:

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, March 9 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, March 11 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Tuskegee Syphillis Study & HeLa Cells

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

The Tuskegee Syphillis Study compares to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks in the way that they both involved ethically wrong and shameful actions taken by the government and important hospitals. The two scenarios are similar because neither the people in the Tuskegee Syphillis Study or Henrietta Lacks knew the extent of the studies done to them. They did not know that scientists were taking things from them (ie cells) and using them without their knowledge. They are different because the people in the Syphillis Study thought they were going to the hospital for a sort of precaution or check up in order for them to stay healthy. They had no idea about the disease they had. Henrietta, however, knew what she was supposed to get treated for but she did not know that the studies done involved taking her cells without her knowledge (or recognition) and using them for other people. I think these situations happened because scientists back then only cared about their goals and opportunities within their field of study. They did not care who was involved or even if they knew they were involved. They did what they had to do. I also do not think that this could happen again today because, for some reason, the government is slightly more sensitive to who they hurt. For example, today the stories of the Tuskegee Syphillis Study and Henrietta Lacks are finally coming out and those involved are finally getting some sort of recognition. It may not be as much recognition that they deserve (shown in the fact that the Lacks family can not afford medical insurance when HeLa cells are raising more money now than ever) but atleast people have the opportunity to know their stories. Neutral

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lacks & Tuskegee Syphillis

Post  Richiee12 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both cases, both families were robbed of their rights and ran over by their government. Both HeLa cells and the Tuskegee Syphillis Study were both used for studies by scientists and doctors in labs. Both were supposed to be a short study but over a period of time both are still being studied. Many of the men died after the end of the study and so did Henrietta Lacks. Neither Henrietta nor the men during the Tuskegee Syphillis Study were informed that they were being used as a study. The main difference between the two is that the family of the men, and the country were both apologized to by the President of the United States. The family of Henrietta Lacks have yet to have received an apology from anyone. No one has had enough sorrow and courage to apologize to the Lacks family, they've all just let the studies continue, and have not thought once about acknowledging the family. The men involved in the Tuskegee Syphillis Study received a monument in honor of their recognition called the Tuskegee Human and Civil Rights Multicultural Center. Henrietta Lacks hasn't had any recognition except for the fact that the cells were named after her. The family as least wants a wing of John Hopkins Hospital to be named after her.
These situations occurred only because the doctors knew they could get away with it. They knew that the African Americans wouldn't have the time nor the money to try to investigate what happened. The doctors didn't expect anyone to ever find out that they used Henrietta nor the men of the Tuskegee Syphillis Study as studies to test on different diseases.
Something like this could occur today, but with the technology we have now families would be able to find out some how whether their loved one was used as a study for something. If the family is not informed major problems could occur, and this would more than likely make it to the news because this has to be against some kind of lie.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

I think that in both cases government deception over a minority was at place. In the tuskegee syphilis experiments they targeted young, uneducated, african-american males. They said that they were giving them free health care. The men had no reason to question the experiments or probably didnt even know what syphilis was. In the similar case of Henrietta lacks, another minority was oppressed for the gain of another group. Henrieta had cells that were immortal yet her family was not informed. In both cases discrimatory actions took place. Another group took advantage of an uneducated, poorer group which is ethically wrong.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Syphilis and HeLa Cells

Post  penguin94 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Admin wrote:QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.
The Tuskegee Syphilis Study and HeLa cells were two incidents where patients were treated much like laboratory rats or guinea pigs, but those "experiments" helped the medical world. In both scenarios, the patients were uninformed and the experimentors benefited from those experiments. Both cases appear to be racial in nature and both have received apologies or are in the process of making amends.
However, the Tuskegee Study differs from the HeLa cells incident in that the Tuskegee Study was attempting to learn about a specific disease (syphilis) whereas the with the HeLa cells, scientists were trying to find cells that they could create cultures with and possibly cure many diseases. Another difference is that they HeLa cells were from only one person, but the Tuskegee Study was performed upon many different people. Also, the people who were experimented upon in the Tuskegee Study were intentionally lied to, but Henrietta was simply not notified.
I think that the scientists in both scenarios were simply trying to create ways to learn about diseases and eventually find ways to prevent them. I do not think it is right that the doctors did not inform their patients, but they were close to having the right idea.
I do not think that such incidents could happen today, especially without prior consent. There are so many rules and regulations regarding people's civil rights and privilages. Also, people nowadays would be more likely to sue the government and posibly even cause an uproar big enough to shut down facilities and plunge companies and even the government into even more debt.

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HeLa vs. Tuskegee

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Both stories are awful, however, it doesn't surprise me at all. The government manipulates and lies to us everyday. They will do anything to make a profit and anything to avoid paying for something. In the case of Henrietta Lacks, it was simply the government pulling the wool over the eyes of an innocent black woman. Henrietta had no idea of what was growing inside her body, and i dont think that if she knew of the value of her cells she would have known what to do. Also, back then there was still a very strong sense of racism and prejudice. Henrietta would not have been given a chance in getting any profit even if she knew about her cells and went to court. Although the government was wrong in not sharing any information or profit with Henrietta's family, the way in which they obtained her cells was kind of an accident in the sense that the doctors at John Hopkins had no idea of what they would discover in Henrietta's cells. They were taking samples of cells from everyone they could find. I is still wrong how they went about the whole situation though, and this can also be said about the situation with the Tuskegee syphillis study. It is absolutely inhumane to purposely infect people with deadly, contagious, diseases all for a scientific study. The government treated them as if they were lab rats, then lied to them telling them that it was some sort of vaccine or medical treatment, then, when a cure for syphillis was invented, these men were still denied the cure. Who can justify that. That is sick, immoral, and just plain wrong. And both of these incidents involved African-Americans. I'm sure race played a big role in how these "experiments" were performed. I personally think that it's more immoral and inhumane to infect people with diseases that too just "steal" genetic information. I also believe that if these people had not been black, there would have been a different outcome. In the time of Henrietta and the Tuskegee men, race was a huge determining factor in the treatment of others. Even though that is not fair, it's the truth and is one of the reasons why I think both situations played out the way they did. I do believe something like this could happen again, but with a more aware world, I don't think experiments like this would go unnoticed or unargued.

Last edited by Suga-Mama on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

penguin94 wrote:The Tuskegee Syphilis Study and HeLa cells were two incidents where patients were treated much like laboratory rats or guinea pigs, but those "experiments" helped the medical world.

I agree that both incidents were rather inhumane in the fact that the patients did not have the knowledge or control over the fact that they were used for experiments that may or may not harm them.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Richiee12 wrote:QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

In both cases, both families were robbed of their rights and ran over by their government. Many of the men died after the end of the study and so did Henrietta Lacks. Neither Henrietta nor the men during the Tuskegee Syphillis Study were informed that they were being used as a study. The main difference between the two is that the family of the men, and the country were both apologized to by the President of the United States. The family of Henrietta Lacks have yet to have received an apology from anyone. No one has had enough sorrow and courage to apologize to the Lacks family, they've all just let the studies continue, and have not thought once about acknowledging the family.
These situations occurred only because the doctors knew they could get away with it. They knew that the African Americans wouldn't have the time nor the money to try to investigate what happened. The doctors didn't expect anyone to ever find out that they used Henrietta nor the men of the Tuskegee Syphillis Study as studies to test on different diseases.
Something like this could occur today, but with the technology we have now families would be able to find out some how whether their loved one was used as a study for something. If the family is not informed major problems could occur, and this would more than likely make it to the news because this has to be against some kind of lie.

I agree. Both situations are a clear example of how the government just step on their people. They were too selfish to share any of the profit with Henrietta and selfish to even care about the lives of the Tuskegee men. It's just shameful and ridiculous. We shouldn't have to live in a world where you are constantly looking behind your back for people trying to do secret government experiments on you. No
Smile That is just ridiculous. Laughing

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:48 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think that in both cases government deception over a minority was at place. In the tuskegee syphilis experiments they targeted young, uneducated, african-american males. They said that they were giving them free health care. The men had no reason to question the experiments or probably didnt even know what syphilis was. In the similar case of Henrietta lacks, another minority was oppressed for the gain of another group. Henrieta had cells that were immortal yet her family was not informed. In both cases discrimatory actions took place. Another group took advantage of an uneducated, poorer group which is ethically wrong.

The government did take advantage of a minority with the Tuskegee Syphillis patients and with Henrietta Lacks. In the case of the Tuskegee Syphillis experiments, the patients were lied to and with Henrietta, the doctors just did not tell her how they were using her cells. Both conditions are in fact lies and they both are wrong.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:50 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think that in both cases government deception over a minority was at place. In the tuskegee syphilis experiments they targeted young, uneducated, african-american males. They said that they were giving them free health care. The men had no reason to question the experiments or probably didnt even know what syphilis was. In the similar case of Henrietta lacks, another minority was oppressed for the gain of another group. Henrieta had cells that were immortal yet her family was not informed. In both cases discrimatory actions took place. Another group took advantage of an uneducated, poorer group which is ethically wrong.
I agree. Why is it always something involving the black folks? Why are black people always the ones getting swindled? It's just not right. The way Henrietta and the Tuskegee men were treated was just horrible. Why is the world so unjust? Sad

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flipper on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 pm

How does the Tuskegee Syphillis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

The tuskegee Syphillis Study, first off, was completly immoral and extremely unethical. The way the public health service used the poor uneducated black tuskegee men and completely took advantage of thier ignorance for science was a completely greedy and selfish thing to do. It resembles the case of Henrietta Lacks in several ways. When I researched the Tuskegee experiment it came to my attention that, like in the caseof Henrietta Lacks, the poor uneducated black race was constantly being manipulated and decieved by the more educated people of different races. Unexpectedly, somehow i came across more differences between the cases. Even though in both cases people were being decived, the victims of the Tuskegee experiment were given collateral in some way, but utimately, they ended up dying. In the case of henrietta lacks her family was being decieved by not getting anything at all for the usage of henrietta cells. (Not even the satisfaction of aproving their usage and experimentation.) Even though poverty was threatening the Lacks family lives, the tuskegee experiment neglected the men's diseases and let them perish.

As long as the black race remains uneducated I think it will always be possible for something like this to happen, regardless of the technology of modern times.

afro remember.. be cool and lets rise brothas. afro

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hela vs. Syphilis

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 pm

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study compares to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta lacks as both these cases involved black people that are oppressed and deceived. Henrietta was going to hospitals, but did not know they were extracting her cells from her; and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study was was the testing of a disease on people, which is both ethically and morally wrong as it is unlawful. Even though the basis of both these topics are similar they are different as one event was made up for in a sense by a governmental apology as even in present day United States the Lacks family has seen no compensation for the troubles they have fought for. I believe that events like these in history happen because personal gain is the one goal of most people. the objective of doing what you want is instilled in all and sometimes others are hurt in another's plan. Today, it is likely for something such as this to happen. As repeated in history, the government hides many things from the masses of people, keeping them ignorant and oblivious to actual issues and today, i believe this same theme is alive in our worlds culture.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm

QUESTION: How does the Tuskegee Syphilis Study compare to the ethical implications experienced by Henrietta Lacks (HeLa cells)? How are the two scenarios similar? How are they different? Why do you think these situations happened at all? Do you think that something like this could happen again today? Explain.

Let me start off by saying that my opinion may be skewed by the fact that i am a middle class white male, so i have no idea what discrimination feels like or even begin to understand it. Nor can i, apparently, control my subconscious racism i hold towards African Americans and minorities, but i digress.

The Tuskagee Syphilis Study and HeLa cells, while different in origin and reason, were ethically wrong. They are similar because in both cases the victims were African American and kept in the dark about what was being done to them medically. They are different because i don't believe the Henrietta Lacks case was done due to race, in the video it says that the doctor had been trying to grow human cells for years. Also, is there anything devious about taking the cells in the first place, besides it being done without consent? It's not like the big bad doctor was being racist by trying to cure cancer, especially since it in no way harmed Henrietta. In the case of Tuskegee, it was complete and total racism. The subjects of the "study" were all poor, black, and uneducated. Not only were they not informed of being positive for syphilis, their names were also given to the local doctors to prevent them to getting treatment outside of the study.

The Henrietta Lacks situation was caused by the race to cure cancer. Whilst the Tuskegee case well was used to see the effects of syphilis long term, but the scientist wouldn't push that on any white person.

Could it happen again? Of course. Will it? Most likely not. We are a society that is not only more conscious, but far more connected than any other civilization has been.

As for the Henrietta side of the last question, they already take a sample of every babies blood born after 2006 i believe without consent from the parents as a part of a bill signed by no other than George W. Bush himself.

P.S. I believe that Henrietta's core family (brothers, husband, and kids.) should have all of their healthcare paid for, due to the fact that so many scientific advancements were made in the medical field because of Henrietta. My view may be skewed though (as i am a no good, dirty, bolshevik, communist), and believe health care should be readily available to all people despite their financial situation but hey! why pay for the poor when you can just slowly have them die from completely curable ailments.

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ethical or unethical...

Post  calientelabios234 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 pm

I think the Tuskegee Syphillis study and the unjust using of Henrietta Lacks cells are not equally unjust. I believe the shameful doing of the American government with the Tuskegee Syphillis study was ethically wrong. Yes, taking Henrietta's cells were not right but they ended up benefiting millions of people around the world. The Tuskegee Syphillis study was just another way of taking advantage of the ignorance of the African Americans. They gave them a deadly disease and did not tell them or attempt to treat them. The so called "researchers" also knew they were going to go back and sleep with their spouses, ultimately passing the deadly and preventable disease on to others. Personally, I think this was another way for white people to oppress African Americans. silent

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How it is

Post  tweetywizard on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:30 pm

In both, the Tuskegee Syphillis Study and Henrietta Lacks situation both parties were being used unknowingly and were basically left behind as all of the United States took what they learned from them and ran with it. the two scenarios are similar because in both situations the people or person was used and then left behind without any kind of consent or really knowing what was even going on! These situations differ because with the Tuskegee Syphillis Study many people and famillies were negatively affected because they took peoples hsbands,fathers, and uncles and gave them a disease knowing it could kill them but not evening caring enough to give them the cure even when they found it. With Henrietta Lacks they didn't harm anyone physically but harmed her family emotionally by taking their mothers cells and letting her live on to help people and not tell them or even take some of the money they have made to even take care of her family. I believe these situations happened because the goveernment was so worried about finding cures and doing something new that they were really selfish and cold hearted so they figured if they used people who they felt didn't matter in the world nobody would care. But news flash WE DO CARE!!! I don't believe this would happen again becuse even the people who don't have everything everyone else has they are still educated enough to not let that happen and also we have to much technology so we won't have use people for everything anymore.

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top