5th Hour - The Biology of Aging

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 5th Hour - The Biology of Aging

Post  earthycolors on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

2. The Grandparents of Tomorrow takes a extreme approach to aging. What are your opinions about the author's ideas? What societal problems might the elimination of aging cause? If it were possible to stop the aging process, should we? Explain your stance.

1. I think that aging is determined by your lifestyle. I think the moreharsh a oerson is on their body, i.e. snow boarding, football player, all around professional athletes, and basically anything extremely physical. then ther are the health related agings. like smoking, eating bad food, and having diseases. For example, someone who has a terminal illness may look like they haved aged in the short time they have been diagnosed. I think the way someone takes care of themself determines how they age. not genetics. But then again, againg doesnt necessarily have to be from genetic diseases. It could be someting like hairloss, or the way someone gains weight after 40.

2. I think the author has some valid points, but then again, some things, such as the children dating granparents is a bit much. If aging was eliminated, I'm pretty sure we would have an overpopulated earth, and there would be more athletes in the NBA (...that might not be a bad thing...) We should not stop the againg process. God intended for us to age, to grow old and make way for a younger generation to carry on what our elderlies taught us when we were young. when we get to an old age, it's like we all were born in a group and when we die, we just have to leave as a group and move over because it's not our turn anymore.

I may be wrong, but I think what they meant by genes is dying happening regardless of your lifestyle, like you eventually die anyway. But I agree with you saying that someone with a terminal illness will look like they aged in the short time they were diagnosed, because that's true. And God did intend us to age, without aging, bad things like overpopulation, and teens dating grandparents and stuff. But it will be especially bad because what will we do if aging is eliminated? Question
earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

To me its determined by your lifestyle because you can get hip to drugs and alcohol and have babies like janelle on teen mom and like with that crazy lifestyle there is an adding of stress and i think that stress can age a person more than anything because you loose sleep,hair and appetite and then by that time you look as if you are an emaciated fool.

2. The Grandparents of Tomorrow takes a extreme approach to aging. What are your opinions about the author's ideas? What societal problems might the elimination of aging cause? If it were possible to stop the aging process, should we? Explain your stance.

I think that the author is a crazy skitz and i think the problems it would cause in society would be like healthcare and greed and violence because if everyone would be able to live forever then they would need longer and more expensive healthcare which would add to the already demanding population increase, i think there would be more greed because people would think oh shucks i have the rest of eternity to scam and con and get out of a life sentence because i will live forever!!! jackwagons...and violence because heck thats just too many people to try to make peace with honestly. I dont think we should stop the aging process i think that we were meant to live in die for a certain amount of time and thats it i think people should stop tempering with natures law

I never thought of it like that...the whole hunger thing. I guess t would be like a whole bunch of people looting the stores, and just going crazy like on "I am Legend"

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:14 pm

20north_star12 wrote:
1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

I think that both play a very prominent part of aging. I can't honestly pick a stance because I believe they go hand in hand. I commonly speak of my family on my posts as I will be doing again. I have an aunt who is 32 and she looks like she's in her early twenties. This is because when she was little she was a dancer. She has continued to lead an active life and does not have a sedentary career. She also counts calories, and is very adamant on watching what she eats. I also have a grandmother who will be 62 in April. She is Thai, and she eats like a typical Thai person, consuming a lot of vegetables and fish. She is also very active yet she has had almost every imaginable health problem you can think of. (I.E, she has had brain surgery, a knee replacement, numerous seizures, two open heart surgeries; one of which resulted in severe infections that were life threatening; they had us coming in to say goodbye, but she was miracuously saved by a medicine that had a 1 in 99 chances of working, and she also has dementia and early signs of Alzheimer’s.)

I think that aging is one of the joys of getting old, as I love people with a down right passion. I think that aging shows wisdom and experience. I think that the author's ideas are out of fear of death more than out of logistics. I think that the elimination of aging would be stupid because cancer doesn't strike just old people. My mother was in her early thirties when she was diagnosed with breast cancer so regardless of age it would happen. So to me, aging and disease are not correlated. Also, people would have problems relating to one another and generational issues would become more intense. Such as the music differences and experience in general like when an old soldier goes to tell their war stories. Our generation typically groans at the idea of listening to this, not me, but other teens feel this way. Also, the website states how people in powerful positions such as a dictator would stay in power longer. I agree. That would become a major societal issue. I think that humans have interferred too much with standard living, and will throw everything out of wack. Also, I think people should embrace death as it is an ironic end to life. Another point, if we prolong life, humans would just take advantage of the life and would most likely kill themselves early regardless.

I too believe that aging os one of the joys of geting old. Where would I be if I didnt think my grandpa smelled like gingersnaps? Or if my fond memories of my grandma werent of eating "purse" candies inchurch? STUCK and At the mall.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 am

earthycolors wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

After reading Liz's article, I still think aging is etermined by the genes and not by lifestyle. Even if a person ate healthy, organic food everyday, worked out everyday, and maintained a positive attitude all the time, that person would still eventually succumb to death's cold grip. Death is inevitable, it's all part of the circle of life. People live and people die. And I think no 'cure' can change that. Of coarse, somebody who ate poor, never worked out, and had a negative outlook on life will most likely die earlier than a person with the opposite lifestyle, but that person wouldve died anyway sooner or later because t h a t ' s
j u s t w h a t w e d o .

My opinion on the article and the author's ideas is that while something like that does sound possible, to be able to 'freeze' the biological clock forever; it would cause a whole butt load of problems for the world like the 'life sentence' being only a mere hundred years, rapists and killers and kidnappers getting out of jail looking the same, physically, as they did when they first got put behind being common EVERYWHERE, and of coarse, a 25 year old woman marrying a 125, 1,525, or even a 5,325 year old man. Thats another thing. A marriage lasting forever would be unheard of, a friendship lasting all life would be rare, and never remarrying after your wife or husband was killed would be really hard. If I was to find the 'cure' to death, I would be very, very hesitant to even say a word, and I'm sure scientists and leaders would be a little afraid to say anything too because the world would not be able to handle news like that. Society would be more reckless because people would foolishly think that finding the cure to death would mean not being able to die of ANYTHING. A lot of problems like overpopulation would be everywhere too. Imagine a world where bad leaders and radicals like Osama Bin Ladin and Gadaffi would still be alive 1000 years from now...

I totally agree with you. Those who take their life for granted and not take of themselves, they are going to definitely going to age and die before those people who care about their life and take care of themselves are definitely going to live a LOT longer than thoses who don't. I onestly don't think that there is a cure for aging as well, that's just a little bit of a crazy idea. Yea, society would definitely be reckless and very unorganized....
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shopaholic94 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:17 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

1. I think age is determined by both. Your genes may cause you to have health problems than make you age faster maybe because if stress. Your lifestyle I think is what mainly determines aging. The way you eat, how you use your body and what you expose it to plays a large role in how you age.

2. There are so many problems the elimination of age could cause. Mainly overpopulation. I believe that nothing lasts forever. When its your time to go just go. People need to get their turn to live. If people are living way longer then that means way less people will get the chance to have children. Over population would become a huge issue because even though we may find ways to stretch food and water, the earth will remain the same size.

It is not just a problem of overpopulation. It would change the characteristics of living things, and they would definately be affected by our change. The world is not prepared for that, and I think we should stop investigating about things we know we should not touch

shopaholic94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shopaholic94 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

1. I think that aging is determined by your lifestyle. I think the moreharsh a oerson is on their body, i.e. snow boarding, football player, all around professional athletes, and basically anything extremely physical. then ther are the health related agings. like smoking, eating bad food, and having diseases. For example, someone who has a terminal illness may look like they haved aged in the short time they have been diagnosed. I think the way someone takes care of themself determines how they age. not genetics. But then again, againg doesnt necessarily have to be from genetic diseases. It could be someting like hairloss, or the way someone gains weight after 40.

2. I think the author has some valid points, but then again, some things, such as the children dating granparents is a bit much. If aging was eliminated, I'm pretty sure we would have an overpopulated earth, and there would be more athletes in the NBA (...that might not be a bad thing...) We should not stop the againg process. God intended for us to age, to grow old and make way for a younger generation to carry on what our elderlies taught us when we were young. when we get to an old age, it's like we all were born in a group and when we die, we just have to leave as a group and move over because it's not our turn anymore.

In science you can not always state something for sure because it might change suddenly. I would also think that it is in your genes, because if just by touching the wrong string of DNA you create a mutation, how is your DNA not going to affect how you age too? DNA is the characteristics of every single human being, and unique in every different organism.

shopaholic94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:46 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:

Exactly! Everyone should get their turn to live, we have to be fair. And EWW I'm not trying to be dating nobody's grandpa!

I feel like maybe we should stop creating new babies , and kill the people all above 80 years and make rest of the people to middle age and control the human population Twisted Evil
biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:
FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. After reading Liz Ward's article, which aging theory do you subscribe to - is aging determined by your genes or is it determined by your lifestyle? Explain your stance.

To me its determined by your lifestyle because you can get hip to drugs and alcohol and have babies like janelle on teen mom and like with that crazy lifestyle there is an adding of stress and i think that stress can age a person more than anything because you loose sleep,hair and appetite and then by that time you look as if you are an emaciated fool.

I think that the author is a crazy skitz and i think the problems it would cause in society would be like healthcare and greed and violence because if everyone would be able to live forever then they would need longer and more expensive healthcare which would add to the already demanding population increase, i think there would be more greed because people would think oh shucks i have the rest of eternity to scam and con and get out of a life sentence because i will live forever!!! jackwagons...and violence because heck thats just too many people to try to make peace with honestly. I dont think we should stop the aging process i think that we were meant to live in die for a certain amount of time and thats it i think people should stop tempering with natures law

I also that. When people do drug and stuff i put a stress on them. THEY GONE GET OLD AND UGLY.

Don't you think the author is so awesome .I bet you wouldn't say the same if you 90 years old.!
biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top