5th Hour - RACE

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour - RACE

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Please visit the website RACE - Are We So Different? at http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html . Explore the Human Variation section and the Lived Experience section. Then answer both of the questions that follow:

1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

2. According to the website, what is the biological difference between people of different races? How does their DNA differ?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, February 9th at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, February 11th at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - RACE

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 pm

. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

After looking at this website I learned that race cannot be determined by looking at your DNA..i always thought you could. Laughing

2. According to the website, what is the biological difference between people of different races? How does their DNA differ?

According to the website there is no difference in the DNA of differnts races.

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

blame game

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 pm

1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

i never knew that white and asian people were so closely related like i knew by skin tone but with the variation comparisons it made it clear

the dna does not differ from any race

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

???

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

After looking at this website I learned that race cannot be determined by looking at your DNA..i always thought you could. Laughing

wow that is no laughing matter good you found out Smile

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 pm

-I never knew that asians and europeans had such similar DNA.

-DNA doesnt differ for any race. i always thought it did... hmmm.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 am

-I always wondered why I'd see white people coming to school in winter wearing things like flip-flops and going without a coat and hat on (No racial). At first I thought it was just a stereotype but then the Sports Quiz Assumption 7 asked if whites are better at winter sports like skiing, ice skating and sledding because their body type is best suited to these cold-weather sports. Of course I clicked yes, and was surprised to see that it said "partly true". Now I see that it isnt just a stereotype.

-There is no biological difference between people of different races. =)

-LondyLou ♥

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:24 pm

I thought that Asians were good gymnastics because of there small compact bodies and their quick responses but the sports quiz said that its partly true

According to the website, DNA doesn't differ people from race.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Race

Post  diamondback94 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 pm

I thought DNA could determine a race

There is no difference

diamondback94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 pm

1. At first, I thought that famous saying that Kenyans were naturally faster runners than other runners was false. But now, I seem to have been proven wrong. Now I know that Kenyans ARE faster, and that I'm not being racist for saying it. Very Happy .

2. The biological difference is mutations in the DNA structure. Every person has a different type of DNA. It can change things like how we look, our risks of diseases, how much "brain power" we have, etc. But there is no different DNA structure for every race.
afro

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot info)

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Before visiting this website I didn't know what sickle cell disease was or that it was more likely to be diagnosed in people of Middle Eastern, Indian, and African heritage because those geographic regions were most prone to malaria.

All races are the same, only different skin tones due to farther variations and it is only skin deep since you can't determine a skin color just by analyzing DNA.

whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hungry like a lion attacking a gazelle

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 pm

I learned that it is partly true that Asians are good at gymnastics because they have flexible bodies and good gentics. Surprising (olypmics, duh) Also, there is no difference between races and dna...it's all the same

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

misconception #COMFIRMED

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

A misconception I had was about there being genetic contributions to health problems. I always heard that some people are more at risk at some diseases than others because of their color & i just never really believed that. Majority of the time it was about black people. Now that the website has confirmed that ii guess its true. I also found out that the color of our skin is adaptive traits that correlate closely to geography and the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, not race. #interesting cyclops

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

- I previously thought that there was a way for scientists to look at someones DNA and determine their race, but this is not true. I've learned that there is no gene for any type of "race", but that it is possible to trace geographic ancestory through DNA.

- According to the website, there is no difference in the DNA of people of different races.

soccergal93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  soccergal93 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:Before visiting this website I didn't know what sickle cell disease was or that it was more likely to be diagnosed in people of Middle Eastern, Indian, and African heritage because those geographic regions were most prone to malaria.

All races are the same, only different skin tones due to farther variations and it is only skin deep since you can't determine a skin color just by analyzing DNA.

I had the same misconception, I didn't know anything about sickle cell disease, it's good we both learned something and got that cleared up. cheers

soccergal93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

A very large misconception that I had about race is that every race had its own set of DNA variations, but I have learned that the DNA variations are all actually similar.

The DNA doesn't differ, just the sets of biological variation are a little bit different.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

whatitdochickado wrote:1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

-I never knew that asians and europeans had such similar DNA.

-DNA doesnt differ for any race. i always thought it did... hmmm.

I always thought that DNA differ for race as well. I never knew that asians and europeans had similar DNA either. We are all similar in more ways than we thought.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 am

20north_star12 wrote:

A very large misconception that I had about race is that every race had its own set of DNA variations, but I have learned that the DNA variations are all actually similar.

The DNA doesn't differ, just the sets of biological variation are a little bit different.

Yea, I thought that every race had its own set of DNA as well. Its pretty cool that we all have similar DNA variations and we all are similar to each other even though our skin color is different.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:

According to the website there is no difference in the DNA of differnts races.

Only extended variations

whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:19 pm

londylou wrote:-I always wondered why I'd see white people coming to school in winter wearing things like flip-flops and going without a coat and hat on (No racial). At first I thought it was just a stereotype but then the Sports Quiz Assumption 7 asked if whites are better at winter sports like skiing, ice skating and sledding because their body type is best suited to these cold-weather sports. Of course I clicked yes, and was surprised to see that it said "partly true". Now I see that it isnt just a stereotype.

-LondyLou ♥

I was happy to find out why Kenyans are so fast.

whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:19 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

1. At first, I thought that famous saying that Kenyans were naturally faster runners than other runners was false. But now, I seem to have been proven wrong. Now I know that Kenyans ARE faster, and that I'm not being racist for saying it. Very Happy .

2. The biological difference is mutations in the DNA structure. Every person has a different type of DNA. It can change things like how we look, our risks of diseases, how much "brain power" we have, etc. But there is no different DNA structure for every race.
afro

Oh wow I never knew Kenyans were naturally fast runners. I learned something new today. lol!

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm

londylou wrote:-I always wondered why I'd see white people coming to school in winter wearing things like flip-flops and going without a coat and hat on (No racial). At first I thought it was just a stereotype but then the Sports Quiz Assumption 7 asked if whites are better at winter sports like skiing, ice skating and sledding because their body type is best suited to these cold-weather sports. Of course I clicked yes, and was surprised to see that it said "partly true". Now I see that it isnt just a stereotype.

-LondyLou ♥

Hey I'm pretty good at sledding and im not white ! lol! lol! lol!

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Race is not important

Post  violinist13 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 am

1. I never judge people by their color just by the things they do. This website help me prove my point that there is no difference between races cept for where we come from.
2. According to the website there is no difference in the dna the only difference is where they come from if their ancestors stayed close to the equater their skin would be darker than the ancestors who moved away from the equator

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hmm...

Post  GummyBearLove on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 pm

- I always thought that a person was lighter or darker because of their race..However, Variations in human skin color are adaptive traits that correlate closely to geography and the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, not race.

- According to the website, there is no difference in the DNA of people of different races.

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 pm

I use to think that different races had different DNA.

They are the same for each race. They're not different.

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.
- I always thought that a person was lighter or darker because of their race..However, Variations in human skin color are adaptive traits that correlate closely to geography and the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, not race.

Yea the fist time i went onthi swebsite i found that out. It comes from how much sun the region is. Them when the people started to migrate the color stayed with them.

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top