3rd Hour - RACE

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Please visit the website RACE - Are We So Different? at http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html . Explore the Human Variation section and the Lived Experience section. Then answer both of the questions that follow:

1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.

2. According to the website, what is the biological difference between people of different races? How does their DNA differ?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, February 9th at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, February 11th at 11:59 pm


Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

race......

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 pm

1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.
i dont think i had any misconceptions about race icant really look at people like that i know how i was rasied and that would be just wrong. But the site did give very good information.

2. According to the website, what is the biological difference between people of different races? How does their DNA differ?

It all has to do with where your family comes from on the globe, and peoples DNA all have different alleles.
[b]

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Communistkid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 am

1. I have never had a misconception about race. Race means nothing.

2. Little to none. DNA has about 3 million variations between unrelated people, whether black or white. Between "races" it is the same.
avatar
Communistkid

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Communistkid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 am

Also can we please be done with this relatively boring discussion boards? I like it a lot more when they concerned the controversial. Not does it cause more posts, but also led to ACTUAL discussions past the need two.


Atheism.
avatar
Communistkid

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What is Race?...

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

1.)Everything the website had about race i already knew. I didn't have any misconceptions. Race is just a crued stereotype used to distinquish different cultures. It has no scientific significance, although people still act as if it is.

2.)The difference in "race" is virtually non-existant in our DNA. Our skin color is just an adaptation we inherited from out ancestry to protect against ultra-violet radiation. Certain places on the earth have different levels of ultra-violet radiation and as a result, people have developed different tones in skin color based on the amount of radiation they recieved. DNA is just used to indicate your heritage, but even then eveyone's heritage ultimately stems form the same place.
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

1. I dont think I really had any misconceptions about race. I dont like to judge people without getting to know them first.

2. According to the website the only reason our skin is different is because of genes. Our ancestors pigment in our skin had to adapt as humans spread out over the earth. Therefore race is only created due to differences in geography.e

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i'll admit

Post  penguin94 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:54 pm

I will admit that before, I thought that African Americans were just naturally better at sports, but this website helped me to realize that being good in athletics doesn't depend on your race, it is hereditary.
The DNA of different races are pretty much the same. However, there is more variation in the African race. The reason for this is that when a portion of the African population migrated to Asia, they only took certain qualities and traits with them and so are less likely to inherit the variations common in Africa.
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Africans are MADE for running!!! LITERALLY

Post  krazedxasylum on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:21 am

One huge misconception i had was about the Kenyan runners, when it came to running and distance in track and field events. The Long distance races are predominately won by the Kenyans and/or other East African countries. As ignorant as i may seem, i thought this was because of there build after walking many miles for such needed materials as water and food. I am actually ashamed that i thought this and did not consider their geography. Actually, Kenyans dominate distance running because their bodies have adapted to the high altitude conditions.

Another thing that the website mentioned is that there is almost no true difference in the variation of people. The difference in skin color is a result of the geography of your ancestors. And its funny because through all through DNA a scientist cant even tell what race your are.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Flipper on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 am

1. Before I watched this video i didnt really have any misconceptions about race. I have plenty of black and white friends. Don't know many asians....... yup..

2. I thought it was very intersesting how race is not even in ur dna but you adopt your race from ancestry, sun rays, and geography. According to the website there is not a biological difference in race

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:35 am

The website did more to reinforce my knowledge of how incorrect my misconception of race used to be. I used to think that people of different races were more genetically different than they actually were. Last year I found out that differences in skin color were due to our ancestors migrating and suffering from differences in the absorption of the sun's rays. This website backed up that information and let me know that it was more than a theory. According to the website, difference in skin color has to do with geography and the sun's rays. Skin was made darker for those who were closer to the equator and needed that much more protection from the sun's rays. Those who migrated elsewhere did not need to have darker skin because ultraviolet radiation levels were lower.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 pm

penguin94 wrote:I will admit that before, I thought that African Americans were just naturally better at sports, but this website helped me to realize that being good in athletics doesn't depend on your race, it is hereditary.
The DNA of different races are pretty much the same. However, there is more variation in the African race. The reason for this is that when a portion of the African population migrated to Asia, they only took certain qualities and traits with them and so are less likely to inherit the variations common in Africa.
i agree with you on that being good in athletics doesnt depend on your race because that doesnt really make much sense. Mad

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:One huge misconception i had was about the Kenyan runners, when it came to running and distance in track and field events. The Long distance races are predominately won by the Kenyans and/or other East African countries. As ignorant as i may seem, i thought this was because of there build after walking many miles for such needed materials as water and food. I am actually ashamed that i thought this and did not consider their geography. Actually, Kenyans dominate distance running because their bodies have adapted to the high altitude conditions
i originaly thought that too. i never knew it had to with their bodies more adapted to the high altitude conditions. never crossed my mind. Wink

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 am

gamerdude94 wrote:1. I dont think I really had any misconceptions about race. I dont like to judge people without getting to know them first.

Me either. It is interesting to know how differences in skin color came about, but people should be treated the same no matter what (...even if you just found out how similar we all really are). I love you

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

penguin94 wrote:I will admit that before, I thought that African Americans were just naturally better at sports, but this website helped me to realize that being good in athletics doesn't depend on your race, it is hereditary.

A lot of people do think that. It goes along with the idea that white people can not jump. They all should check out this website.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Skin Colors

Post  penguin94 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:One huge misconception i had was about the Kenyan runners, when it came to running and distance in track and field events. The Long distance races are predominately won by the Kenyans and/or other East African countries. As ignorant as i may seem, i thought this was because of there build after walking many miles for such needed materials as water and food. I am actually ashamed that i thought this and did not consider their geography. Actually, Kenyans dominate distance running because their bodies have adapted to the high altitude conditions.

Another thing that the website mentioned is that there is almost no true difference in the variation of people. The difference in skin color is a result of the geography of your ancestors. And its funny because through all through DNA a scientist cant even tell what race your are.
When you say that our skin color depends on the geography of where our ancestors live, it makes me wonder where mine came from. my mom's side of the family is German and English and my dad's is half Danish...but I'm a lot darker than most European whites because I lived where there was a lot of sun...so it makes me wonder if we were all white once and the sun's rays forced us to adapt and develop darker skin...hmmmm
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:56 pm

one misconception that the website cleared up was that people are a certain color for a reason. Some people need to be darker so that they can stay safe from the sun. One thing that i disagree about is that race doesn't exist. I don't think that it is possible for one person to stay in the sun long enough and just turn into a totally different looking person. I also don't think that a sun tan would pass down generations. So, yes i do think people are a certain a race but they were put on the Earth that way for a specific reason. I don't think evolution made them turn that way. The website says that Race comes from people passes down almost all of the same traits in DNA. It alsos says that people of different races can share the same traits.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The website did more to reinforce my knowledge of how incorrect my misconception of race used to be. I used to think that people of different races were more genetically different than they actually were. Last year I found out that differences in skin color were due to our ancestors migrating and suffering from differences in the absorption of the sun's rays. This website backed up that information and let me know that it was more than a theory. According to the website, difference in skin color has to do with geography and the sun's rays. Skin was made darker for those who were closer to the equator and needed that much more protection from the sun's rays. Those who migrated elsewhere did not need to have darker skin because ultraviolet radiation levels were lower.


I agree about how you said that skin color has to do with the geography. I don't think that it comes from suffering. though because i think if someone were to get really dark from the sun, that it wouldnt pass down generations. I think people were originally put on earth a certain way so that could stand the sun. I don't think people adapted to the sun by becoming darker over time.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:One huge misconception i had was about the Kenyan runners, when it came to running and distance in track and field events. The Long distance races are predominately won by the Kenyans and/or other East African countries. As ignorant as i may seem, i thought this was because of there build after walking many miles for such needed materials as water and food. I am actually ashamed that i thought this and did not consider their geography. Actually, Kenyans dominate distance running because their bodies have adapted to the high altitude conditions.

Another thing that the website mentioned is that there is almost no true difference in the variation of people. The difference in skin color is a result of the geography of your ancestors. And its funny because through all through DNA a scientist cant even tell what race your are.



It is pretty amazing that scientists can't figure out race from DNA. Even though i know this, I still think it is not possible for someone to become a certain way over time and pass it down generations. It is almost like saying someone got a sun tan and their baby was born with a sun tan too.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Race Aint no thang but chicken Wang.

Post  timmy buck buck on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Admin wrote:Please visit the website RACE - Are We So Different? at http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html . Explore the Human Variation section and the Lived Experience section. Then answer both of the questions that follow:

1. Discuss a misconception that you had about race that this website helped clear up.
I had no misconceptions because, for the most part, I dont like to categorize by race. I just know I dont like being called the term african american because to be honest I am OF caucasian, Native American and African descent. I am not an african immigrant who just became registered as an american. So far as I know Im just an American. This website didnt really clear up anything for me.
2. According to the website, what is the biological difference between people of different races? How does their DNA differ?
People of different "races" have different body features and adaptations to their surroundings. As for the Dna differences I really dont know because i couldnt find it on the website. For now ill just say that the DNA is different because the chromosomes in the cells mutate in order to adapt to the changes needed for where they live.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, February 9th at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, February 11th at 11:59 pm


avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  krazedxasylum on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm

penguin94 wrote:I will admit that before, I thought that African Americans were just naturally better at sports, but this website helped me to realize that being good in athletics doesn't depend on your race, it is hereditary. .

Honestly i thought that this was true as well in sports such as basketball and track, but now i realize that i did not really have a substantial amount of evidence to back up what i once thought. Was their a certain reason that you thought this?

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  krazedxasylum on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:01 am

Communistkid wrote:Atheism.

dude just saying i love your picture hhahaha

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  krazedxasylum on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 am

iluvowls wrote:one misconception that the website cleared up was that people are a certain color for a reason. Some people need to be darker so that they can stay safe from the sun. One thing that i disagree about is that race doesn't exist. I don't think that it is possible for one person to stay in the sun long enough and just turn into a totally different looking person. I also don't think that a sun tan would pass down generations. So, yes i do think people are a certain a race but they were put on the Earth that way for a specific reason. I don't think evolution made them turn that way. The website says that Race comes from people passes down almost all of the same traits in DNA. It alsos says that people of different races can share the same traits.


Yes, i forgot about how melanin in your skin is used for protection....im not sure if this is completely true but im pretty sure thats the reason that African Americans are very resilient to being sun-burned.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Flipper on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am

iluvowls wrote:one misconception that the website cleared up was that people are a certain color for a reason. Some people need to be darker so that they can stay safe from the sun. One thing that i disagree about is that race doesn't exist. I don't think that it is possible for one person to stay in the sun long enough and just turn into a totally different looking person. I also don't think that a sun tan would pass down generations. So, yes i do think people are a certain a race but they were put on the Earth that way for a specific reason. I don't think evolution made them turn that way. The website says that Race comes from people passes down almost all of the same traits in DNA. It alsos says that people of different races can share the same traits.

Yea i agree. I mean, if race was non exsistent then why would black people have different nose shapes, lip shapes, and body physics. They all are slightly different even without skin color.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Flipper on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The website did more to reinforce my knowledge of how incorrect my misconception of race used to be. I used to think that people of different races were more genetically different than they actually were. Last year I found out that differences in skin color were due to our ancestors migrating and suffering from differences in the absorption of the sun's rays. This website backed up that information and let me know that it was more than a theory. According to the website, difference in skin color has to do with geography and the sun's rays. Skin was made darker for those who were closer to the equator and needed that much more protection from the sun's rays. Those who migrated elsewhere did not need to have darker skin because ultraviolet radiation levels were lower.

Yea same here. I learned about the differences in skin colors were due to our ancestors migrating and adapting to different sun exposures in world studies but I never actually got to know why. The website definately backed up all of the information i vaguely knew. Now race between people is a lot clearer to me. cheers

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  gamerdude94 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 pm

iluvowls wrote:I don't think that it is possible for one person to stay in the sun long enough and just turn into a totally different looking person. I also don't think that a sun tan would pass down generations. So, yes i do think people are a certain a race but they were put on the Earth that way for a specific reason. I don't think evolution made them turn that way. The website says that Race comes from people passes down almost all of the same traits in DNA. It alsos says that people of different races can share the same traits.

Getting a sun tan would exactly be passed down through evolution. Since all humans originated in africa, the only reason race exists is because of geography. Light shines differently so skin pigments had to adapt over time or did not need to adapt and lost its darker pigments

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - RACE

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum