5th Hour - The Faces of Science

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

YOU KNOW THIS LIL GIRL HAD THE NERVE TO ASK ME WHAT BLACK PEOPLE(WRONG..MY SKIN AINT BLACK LOL) EVER DID FOR OUR SOCIETY..I WANTED TO BLOW HER UP

Post  GummyBearLove on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Marie Maynard Daly was the first African American Female in the United States to earn a Ph.D in chemistry.In 1955 Daly returned to Columbia’s College of Physicians and Surgeons to teach biochemistry. She began collaborating with Dr. Quentin B. Deming to investigate the underlying causes of heart attacks. They found that high cholesterol levels contributed to the blockage of arteries that supply oxygen to the heart. She also investigated the effects of sugar on the function of coronary arteries. Later, she became a pioneer in studying the impact of cigarette smoking on the lungs.
I think she was important because even females in these times arent respected as much as the males. Even growing up in her time period with everything going on she never let that stop her. I think that is amazing

I think teachers and students should take time to recognize the the accomplishments of african americans because although it is hard for EVERYONE in this world, african americans had to go through so much and they werent given all of their credit. And i also think its important because i would like the sterotype of every african american of being ignorant to change..not all of us can rap or play some type of ball, but we are just as intelligent as anyone else.. Smile

"I had explained that a woman's asking for equality in the church would be comparable to a black person's demanding equality in the Ku Klux Klan."
-Marie Maynard Daly

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  GummyBearLove on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 pm

londylou wrote:2. It is important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of black people so they can stop being so stupid and realize that all black people aren't thugs straight out of the ghetto. Also, it gives black people who actually do fit that stereotype the chance to see that there are other options for having a succesful life than selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp. =)

-LondyLou ♥

oh my goodness!!! i LOVE this..it puts the idea of thinking that you can be sucessful without selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp into a light that i never thought of. You also said that she started off selling door to door which is also amazing to me!! Smile

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GummyBearLove on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:33 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:1.Dale Emeagwali won the National Technical Association's "1996 Scientist of the Year" award. Also she found a way to better cancer treatment. This scientist impressed me because she knew what she was interested in even from childhood and went on to accomplish many things.

2. I think it is important to not only recognize Afican Amercan achievement but everyone's achievements. Scientists are the reason we have the things that we do.

I can really connect with this personally because i have lost a grandmother and grandfather because of cancer and my other grandmother just got past cancer, and i have lost numerous friends to it..I believe that without the help of Dale Emeagwali I wouldnt be so lucky to say that i have atleast have one person come out alive.

I also love your second point in saying that everyone's achievements should be recognized. Smile

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:
The person I pick is Augustus Nathaniel Lushington. What impressed me about him is that he was the first African American to become a Veterinarian. I think it's important because people need to know what blacks did to contribute to this world so that we don't go back to a time where blacks were put down and thought as bad people.

i really like this one because i want to become a vet or like thats one of the occupations that i am interested in becoming its nice to know some kind of background history on the man who kinda set the ground for it for african americans

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:11 pm

earthycolors wrote:
Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. He was THAT much more ahead than everybody else in his time. It's important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans
afro

oh my if it werent for this guy we would still be salting our meat and putting everything in mason jars bleh that doesnt even sound appealing to the taste buds ha thank god for him

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dowa didity didity dumb didity doo

Post  whatitdochickado on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 pm

1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

JEWEL PLUMMER COBB she who was a female Physiologist AND Biologist. I think she's amazing because she founded a private program for minorities that wanted to enter into the sciences. She was determined to make a difference. [:

2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

African americans are just the same as EVERYONE ELSE! it shouldnt matter what color your skin is... you made something! you matter. so dont be racist.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:
earthycolors wrote:
Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. He was THAT much more ahead than everybody else in his time. It's important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans
afro

oh my if it werent for this guy we would still be salting our meat and putting everything in mason jars bleh that doesnt even sound appealing to the taste buds ha thank god for him

I totally agree. {:

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 pm

smiley11 wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

I chose Jewel Plummer Cobb who was a female Biologist and a Physiologist. Jewel was mainly known for herwork with skin pigment, or melanin. What impressed me about her was that she had created a privately founded program for minorities who wanted to enter the sciences and in her tireless efforts, it extended opportunities to women as well.

2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

I think that its important for students and teachers to learn about the accomplishments of African-Americans because without the invention of some of these amazing people we wouldn't be able to do half of the things we do today.

i feel the same way! [:

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:57 pm

1)Some contributions of Frederick Jones was he designed a series of devices for the developing movie industry, which adapted silent movie projectors to use talking movie stock. He also developed an apparatus for the movie box-office that delivers tickets and returns change to customers.What impressed me about him was he worked in movie industry.

2)To say that they are equal too.

biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 am

londylou wrote:
FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote: I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.

I completly agree. Those ignorant stereotypes are disgusting, and unfortuantly some people think that they actually have to fit them. They should teach about more of these people in school b/c I have never heard of almost every person on that list b/c it can really help out individuals that believe b/c they are black, they HAVE to fit the stereotypes.

I think you taking it too deep . maybe if you stop talking that bad then they wont be stereotype.I guess scratch

biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mae C. Jemison

Post  LittleMissSophie on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 am

Mae C. Jemison was the fifth African-American woman to go into space in 1992 also having a doctor of Medicine degree 1981. Mae was outspoken about African-American pursing a career in technology and medicine. Its important to have recognized African-Americans accomplishments due to the progress they have made from inventions to cures. Without the help of bright and hard working people that have come from our past our world today would be way different than it is today!

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 am

[quote="violinist13"]
earthycolors wrote:
Lloyd Hall studied the preservatives that gave food more shelf time and completely redid it. He created new better preservatives that kept food fresh longer while still maintaining its taste. Much of the preservatives are still used today. What impressed me the most is that society still hasn't improved on his work. [/qoute]

I agree i do think its amazing that they havent improved his work.

^^^^^^that is very amazing that his original method is still being used today. Sounds like he worked hard for all the right reasons.

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am

londylou wrote:1. Madame C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove became one of the first Black women of any rank to become a millionaire through her own efforts. She created a hair care system that consisted of a shampoo, a pomade "hair-grower", vigorous brushing, and the application of heated iron combs to the hair. The "method" she used transformed stubborn, lusterless hair into shining smoothness, something that most black women of this time period strongly desired because they still had the mentality that black hair was bad. What impressed me the most is that she started off going door to door.

2. It is important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of black people so they can stop being so stupid and realize that all black people aren't thugs straight out of the ghetto. Also, it gives black people who actually do fit that stereotype the chance to see that there are other options for having a succesful life than selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp. =)

-LondyLou ♥

Madame C.J. Walker was a brilliant women who worked hard for every dime she received. To me it was not all about the money it was the achievement of helping women achieve the look or confidence they lacked about their hair. It is wonderful to see a person who came from little grow so large in life!

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shopaholic94 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 am

smiley11 wrote:1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?

I chose Jewel Plummer Cobb who was a female Biologist and a Physiologist. Jewel was mainly known for herwork with skin pigment, or melanin. What impressed me about her was that she had created a privately founded program for minorities who wanted to enter the sciences and in her tireless efforts, it extended opportunities to women as well.

I think that its important for students and teachers to learn about the accomplishments of African-Americans because without the invention of some of these amazing people we wouldn't be able to do half of the things we do today.

I totally agree, the discoveries of african-americans should be rewarded the same as white people:)
I think that what Plummer did was amazing and I really like her idea of putting all that work to create a program for the minorities in this country. I think it is really cool

shopaholic94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  shopaholic94 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 am

LittleMissSophie wrote: Mae C. Jemison was the fifth African-American woman to go into space in 1992 also having a doctor of Medicine degree 1981. Mae was outspoken about African-American pursing a career in technology and medicine. Its important to have recognized African-Americans accomplishments due to the progress they have made from inventions to cures. Without the help of bright and hard working people that have come from our past our world today would be way different than it is today!

That is so awesome, what she achieved was outstanding and very important for our society today. I totally agree, without African Americans, our life wouldn't be like it is right now. I think black people have discovered amazing things over the years and they should get the reward that they deserve.

shopaholic94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Equality = Awesomeness

Post  animalluver on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:10 am

1. I chose Mary Styles Harris. She was a biologist. I found her work impressive because she arose in a time period when women weren't exactly equal. She worked hard and proved that just because she was an African-American and a woman, that she could still be smart and successful. She held many important scientific positions, until finally ending up where she is now: president and consultant of her company, Harris & Associates.
2. Honestly, we shouldn't be celebrating great African Americans just in February. It should be all the time that we recognize great people, and not only of one race, of all races. As Americans, we preach equality, so we should recognize ALL great people, ALL the time, no matter what month it is, or what race they are.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:24 am

londylou wrote:1. Madame C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove became one of the first Black women of any rank to become a millionaire through her own efforts. She created a hair care system that consisted of a shampoo, a pomade "hair-grower", vigorous brushing, and the application of heated iron combs to the hair. The "method" she used transformed stubborn, lusterless hair into shining smoothness, something that most black women of this time period strongly desired because they still had the mentality that black hair was bad. What impressed me the most is that she started off going door to door.

2. It is important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of black people so they can stop being so stupid and realize that all black people aren't thugs straight out of the ghetto. Also, it gives black people who actually do fit that stereotype the chance to see that there are other options for having a succesful life than selling drugs and being a prostitute/pimp. =)

-LondyLou ♥

I think it's interesting that she created basically the first "straitener". I think natural black hair is beautiful btw.
I agree with you that Black History Month is inspirational, not just to black people, but to people of every ethnicity. It's important to realize that the people of the past from every kind or race and background have made a contribution to the world we have today and the technology we use on a daily basis.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 am

Your person sounds really interesting. I've always been interested in learning about skin pigment andsuch. I agree that we wouldn't be able to do half the things we do today without them, but that's because intelligence and intelligence has nothing to do with race. It has to do with the type of person that lies within the color of your skin.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 am

biologyBROTHERHOOD wrote:
londylou wrote:
FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote: I think that it is important for people to learn about the bonafide accolade's of african-americasn because it takes away the idiotic stereo types over how all black are dumb and ghetto and it also gives some people someone to look up to and know that achieving altitudinous goals are possible.

I completly agree. Those ignorant stereotypes are disgusting, and unfortuantly some people think that they actually have to fit them. They should teach about more of these people in school b/c I have never heard of almost every person on that list b/c it can really help out individuals that believe b/c they are black, they HAVE to fit the stereotypes.

I think you taking it too deep . maybe if you stop talking that bad then they wont be stereotype.I guess scratch

And just wtf is that supposed to mean?

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top