3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:The scientist I chose was George Washington Carver. He was born on a farm in Missouri and graduated from college in 1896. He invented many uses and synthetics from plants such as Pecans, peanuts and sweet potatoes. He also derived many forms of dyes from different plants.

I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.

people dont even use this month to learn new things and George Washington Carver had a good thing that alot more people should know of.

tw33tybirdn3rd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Breath of Fresh air!!

Post  Flipper on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

I Chose the scientist Bryant York. He is a computer scientist and has made contributions to technology over the past decade. And in that decade he acomplished many things and was even selected to be in the top 50 of most important african american technologist. I truely impressed with that. Also he started off teaching and worked his way up to just two years ago, in May 2009, receiving the Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award from the Computer Science Department at University of Massachusetts. Any person with the drive and ambition he has gets my respect.

I think it is very important for teachers and students to recognize african american achievements in science and other topics. It is refreshing and inspirational to see how far a people can go. The young black race is not at its best and hopefully the viewing of another black man or womens achievements will provide us a wake up call.

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Impressive

Post  Flipper on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Richiee12 wrote:
I chose Frederick McDonald Massiah, an engineer. He was among the first successful Black contracting engineers in the country. What impressed me the most about Massiah was that he established a construction business during a time when it was almost impossible to obtain financing, insurance, and acceptance in trade unions, which shows he had a plan and had determination.

That is very impressive. Being a black male could have made it difficult to pursue his goal of construction business already.. The economy being bad also must have really made things a lot worse. What a trooper!!!!

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flipper on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.

I also think that it is important to learn about african americans just simply for the inspiration, don't you think? There is a lot of things we dont know but its more important that we get something out of what we learn from them.

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 pm

tweetywizard wrote:Rebecca J. Cole was the first Black woman to graduate from the Woman's Medical College in Pennsylvania. I think that her teaming up with the first white American woman physcian to recieve a medical degree, Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell was cool because they both achieved great things. It makes me want to say GIRL POWER!!

I believe that we should contribute more black history into what we learn everyday because if black history was so important as everyone says it is then why don't we have a lot more things about black history in our textbooks?...One month is not enough.
I agree with you 100%. It is amazing that women were able to accomplish some of the things that they did during this very prejudice time and it is even more amazing that one of these women was a black woman. It truly shows how hard these women worked to get where they are and an accomplishment like that deserves recognition all year round. I love you

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.
I agree with you. My question is, why does no one know about them and their accomplishments in the first place. They should not be unknown to us if we are supposed to study them every month. That's why i say we should study black history all year round so that we may actually learn more and retain more information about these remarkable people. Wink

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Carver

Post  penguin94 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:The scientist I chose was George Washington Carver. He was born on a farm in Missouri and graduated from college in 1896. He invented many uses and synthetics from plants such as Pecans, peanuts and sweet potatoes. He also derived many forms of dyes from different plants.

I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.

Carver is one of the more familiar names we know of when we talk about black history, but i never really knew much about him. Thanks for bringing him up, it made me want to learn more about him Smile

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  penguin94 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:48 pm

[quote="Yofeetstink"]
Suga-Mama wrote:I chose Dr. Charles Edward Anderson. Throughout his education, Anderson recieved a masters in Meteorology, a PhD. in Meteorology, and a masters in Chemistry. Along with all of his degrees, Anderson served as a captain in the Army Air Forces in World War II, and then became a weather officer for the Tuskegee Army Airfeild weather detachment. He served as Director of the Office of Federal Coordination in Meteorology in the Environmental Science Service Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Charles Anderson was appointed as Professor of Space Science and Engineering. Anderson served as the Professor of Meteorology and Chairman of Contemporary Trends Course at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Anderson was appointed Professor of Afro-American Studies and Chairman of the Meteorology Department. Anderson was elevated to Associate Dean at University of Wisconsin, Madison. Dr. Anderson was a professor in the Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C., from 1987 until he retired in 1990. He was a major contributor to a program at the university that has received national recognition for its forecasting of severe storms. Charles Anderson's sucess during his time is remarkable and is very inspiring. I want to be that sucessful and fulfilled like Anderson some day too.
bounce As far as Black History Month is concerned, sometimes it feels like it a month that forces people to remember Black accomplishments. It should be that way. It should not matter wether they are Black or white. If a black scientist was sucessful enough and made live-changing contributions to America, people should at least have the decency to recognize their accomplishments. Its wrong to just honor black people one month and forget about them for the rest of the year. We should give them the same credit we give the white scientists all year round. Wink
I also agree with what is said. Why black history is designated to just one month is beyond my understanding. If men are all created equal, then why not just celebrate both black and white history throughout the year? Who invented black history month by the way? Question

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:27 am

George Washington Carver Jr. created a thousand different uses for things like peanuts, potatoes, and pecans. Some uses included dyes and a rubber substitute. He made practical uses from things we commonly see as almost trivial.

I honestly don't think it is important. Now you may think "Oh that is racist!", but it really isn't. It is more about a lack of education overall. I'm in no way saying black people haven't contributed to society, clearly they have, but why is it so important to focus on that one race for a month when we never focus on any in the first place. If any of you were even slightly studious i could understand the focus on a race's betterment of man kind, but you don't. Sad? yes, but true.

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:34 am

Suga-Mama wrote:
Yofeetstink wrote:1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.
I agree with you. My question is, why does no one know about them and their accomplishments in the first place. They should not be unknown to us if we are supposed to study them every month. That's why i say we should study black history all year round so that we may actually learn more and retain more information about these remarkable people. Wink

Why should it be differentiated to black history? Wouldn't studying history overall be far more helpful?

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 am

timmy buck buck wrote:
I chose Mary Styles Harris because she got two degrees, one was a bachelors in biology and the other was a PhD. in genetics. This was impressive because she managed to get not only a degree but a PhD as a black woman in the early 70s. Many blacks still were living impoverished and being discriminated but she showed that it was possible to achieve greatness. Im also impressed that she has my last name and a middle name like styles, that means she has swagg.

I think its important to recognise black history month because blacks made alot of contributions to america that arent even mentioned in the textbooks. It also helps us learn about other contributions by different races because u think to yourself, WOW if blacks made all this what did the mexicans do, and the chinese and the polish? It gets your curiosity going and makes you want to know the history behind many untold inventions and people. It also shows the small steps we take on the fight to abolishing slavery.

Start taking better history classes? We don't talk about many specific african americans, mexicans, or chinese because unfortunately they played little role in the monumental events in America until fairly recently (with exceptions here and there like slavery and chinese immigrants building railroads rails.) Also.... the Polish?...... kinda random. You know you can research things outside of school right?

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

interesting :)

Post  calientelabios234 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 am

1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

1. The scientist I chose was Moddie Daniel Taylor he was a chemist. What impressed me the most about him was that he actually worked on the project that helped develop nuclear weapons.
2. I believe it is very important for everyone to take time to recognize and acknowledge the achievements of African Americans because even though they were oppressed through slavery and lack of education it is important that we celebrate our people for fighting through the social inequalities and proving that African- Americans are just as smart and it gives the rest of us hope. Also a standard to live up to. Very Happy

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 am

penguin94 wrote:the scientist i chose is Mae C. Jemison. she was the fifth black astronaut and the first black female to become one. what really impressed me about her was that she never gave up, even when her applications to be an astronaut were denied; furthermore, she pursued her dreams and became accomplished in my two favorite fields of study: medicine and space Smile
in regards to the importance of recognizing african american achievements, i believe that they deserve to be known because in previous years in the U.S.' history, they have been denied that acknowledgement. however, i do believe that nowadays, the african american culture sometimes goes a little too far in their celebrations. sometimes it is uncomfortable to experience all of this when you grew up in an entirely different culture and lifestyle, but i see the importance of it and i am grateful for all those who have made magnificent achievements and made my world a lot better and easier to live in Smile

I agree with what you said people should be recognized for their achievements and they should be celebrated. I am very happy to know that you are grateful for the things these people have done.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 am

Communistkid wrote:George Washington Carver Jr. created a thousand different uses for things like peanuts, potatoes, and pecans. Some uses included dyes and a rubber substitute. He made practical uses from things we commonly see as almost trivial.

I honestly don't think it is important. Now you may think "Oh that is racist!", but it really isn't. It is more about a lack of education overall. I'm in no way saying black people haven't contributed to society, clearly they have, but why is it so important to focus on that one race for a month when we never focus on any in the first place. If any of you were even slightly studious i could understand the focus on a race's betterment of man kind, but you don't. Sad? yes, but true.

You might not think that it is important to celebrate Black History month, but apparently you are ignorant to the importance and all of the contributions of black people and how you are benefiting from it. You sir have certainly been bamboozled by the oppressors of the black man.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.

Even though you stated that some can be over-looked due to racial tendencies, have you ever thought that other heritages have been over-looked and need to be recognized as well.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top