3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Admin on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 am

DUE TO SNOW DAYS & POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES, THIS DISCUSSION BOARD WILL BE DUE ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7 BY MIDNIGHT. THIS DEADLINE INCLUDES YOUR ORIGINAL POST AND YOUR RESPONSE POSTINGS.

Please visit The Faces of Science at https://webfiles.uci.edu/mcbrown/display/faces.html . Find an area in science that interests you and lightly research an African-American contributor to this field. Answer BOTH of the questions below regarding your research.

1. In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this scientist?
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

Initial Post & Response Postings Due by 11:59 am on Monday, February 7.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Yofeetstink on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 pm

1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sciency stuff

Post  penguin94 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 pm

the scientist i chose is Mae C. Jemison. she was the fifth black astronaut and the first black female to become one. what really impressed me about her was that she never gave up, even when her applications to be an astronaut were denied; furthermore, she pursued her dreams and became accomplished in my two favorite fields of study: medicine and space Smile
in regards to the importance of recognizing african american achievements, i believe that they deserve to be known because in previous years in the U.S.' history, they have been denied that acknowledgement. however, i do believe that nowadays, the african american culture sometimes goes a little too far in their celebrations. sometimes it is uncomfortable to experience all of this when you grew up in an entirely different culture and lifestyle, but i see the importance of it and i am grateful for all those who have made magnificent achievements and made my world a lot better and easier to live in Smile
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 23
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm

The scientists i chose was Willliam Michael Bright. He was a biologist who attended Howard University and recieved a bachelors degree in then a Masters dregree in science and then he transferred to the University of Illinois and receieved hi doctorate in Science. He was an instructor for Biology and he moved up to be a prefessor and then a chairman for the department of anatomy. He was a very smart man and his studies helped other onderstand science as well. Many african americans in the 1930's didnt have as many freedoms as they do today so it is surprising but impressive that he was able to accomplish what he did. I think it is important for people to remember people like Bright because stereotypes can change peoples' images on groups of people and people like Bright show that not everyone has to follow a stereotype.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.



I agreee that there are a lot of things done by african americans that people do not know becasue people are stuck thinking that everyone fits a stereotype and it is important that we look away from that and see that not everyone does.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  iluvowls on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:37 pm

penguin94 wrote:the scientist i chose is Mae C. Jemison. she was the fifth black astronaut and the first black female to become one. what really impressed me about her was that she never gave up, even when her applications to be an astronaut were denied; furthermore, she pursued her dreams and became accomplished in my two favorite fields of study: medicine and space Smile
in regards to the importance of recognizing african american achievements, i believe that they deserve to be known because in previous years in the U.S.' history, they have been denied that acknowledgement. however, i do believe that nowadays, the african american culture sometimes goes a little too far in their celebrations. sometimes it is uncomfortable to experience all of this when you grew up in an entirely different culture and lifestyle, but i see the importance of it and i am grateful for all those who have made magnificent achievements and made my world a lot better and easier to live in Smile



Women like Jemison are admirable not only because they broke away from the idea that african americans can't do as much ans white people but also because they broke away from the idea that women weren't capable at as much as men. It is important to recognize these people because many people wouldn't know that anyone is capable of anything if we didn't tell them about others

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

The scientist I chose was George Washington Carver. He was born on a farm in Missouri and graduated from college in 1896. He invented many uses and synthetics from plants such as Pecans, peanuts and sweet potatoes. He also derived many forms of dyes from different plants.

I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A MONTH FOR THE BROTHA MAN NOT THE OTHA MAN

Post  timmy buck buck on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56 am


I chose Mary Styles Harris because she got two degrees, one was a bachelors in biology and the other was a PhD. in genetics. This was impressive because she managed to get not only a degree but a PhD as a black woman in the early 70s. Many blacks still were living impoverished and being discriminated but she showed that it was possible to achieve greatness. Im also impressed that she has my last name and a middle name like styles, that means she has swagg.

I think its important to recognise black history month because blacks made alot of contributions to america that arent even mentioned in the textbooks. It also helps us learn about other contributions by different races because u think to yourself, WOW if blacks made all this what did the mexicans do, and the chinese and the polish? It gets your curiosity going and makes you want to know the history behind many untold inventions and people. It also shows the small steps we take on the fight to abolishing slavery.
avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dr. Charles Edward Anderson

Post  Suga-Mama on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:28 am

I chose Dr. Charles Edward Anderson. Throughout his education, Anderson recieved a masters in Meteorology, a PhD. in Meteorology, and a masters in Chemistry. Along with all of his degrees, Anderson served as a captain in the Army Air Forces in World War II, and then became a weather officer for the Tuskegee Army Airfeild weather detachment. He served as Director of the Office of Federal Coordination in Meteorology in the Environmental Science Service Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Charles Anderson was appointed as Professor of Space Science and Engineering. Anderson served as the Professor of Meteorology and Chairman of Contemporary Trends Course at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Anderson was appointed Professor of Afro-American Studies and Chairman of the Meteorology Department. Anderson was elevated to Associate Dean at University of Wisconsin, Madison. Dr. Anderson was a professor in the Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C., from 1987 until he retired in 1990. He was a major contributor to a program at the university that has received national recognition for its forecasting of severe storms. Charles Anderson's sucess during his time is remarkable and is very inspiring. I want to be that sucessful and fulfilled like Anderson some day too.
bounce As far as Black History Month is concerned, sometimes it feels like it a month that forces people to remember Black accomplishments. It should be that way. It should not matter wether they are Black or white. If a black scientist was sucessful enough and made live-changing contributions to America, people should at least have the decency to recognize their accomplishments. Its wrong to just honor black people one month and forget about them for the rest of the year. We should give them the same credit we give the white scientists all year round. Wink
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 pm

Annie Easley is an African American computer scientist who has worked and designed software for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. What interested me most about her (and what drew my attention to her) was that she was the only woman listed for African Americans under computer science and her work has contributed a lot to science, especially work in space. I think that it is important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because some people (black and white) have forgotten how far African Americans have come. I believe seeing these accomplishments will young African Americans to do well also. I love you bounce

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm

timmy buck buck wrote: I think its important to recognise black history month because blacks made alot of contributions to america that arent even mentioned in the textbooks. It also helps us learn about other contributions by different races because u think to yourself, WOW if blacks made all this what did the mexicans do, and the chinese and the polish? It gets your curiosity going and makes you want to know the history behind many untold inventions and people. It also shows the small steps we take on the fight to abolishing slavery.

I agree that taking a look at black history inspires others to investigate the history of other cultures. If it doesn't then it should because what you find may surprise and interest you.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:35 pm

iluvowls wrote: He was a very smart man and his studies helped other onderstand science as well. Many african americans in the 1930's didnt have as many freedoms as they do today so it is surprising but impressive that he was able to accomplish what he did. I think it is important for people to remember people like Bright because stereotypes can change peoples' images on groups of people and people like Bright show that not everyone has to follow a stereotype.

When people see what people like Bright was able to do in the 1930s (when rights weren't the same) they should want to buckle down and do more now because the opportunities are even better.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Frederick McDonald Massiah

Post  Richiee12 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm


I chose Frederick McDonald Massiah, an engineer. He was among the first successful Black contracting engineers in the country. What impressed me the most about Massiah was that he established a construction business during a time when it was almost impossible to obtain financing, insurance, and acceptance in trade unions, which shows he had a plan and had determination.
It's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February to inform not only African American students but Whites too. We not only have to acknowledge the success of the whites but of the blacks too. Both have made major contributions to society. Since blacks are often let down and not recognized for what they've done, especially after all they've been through they deserve some recognition.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Richiee12 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:42 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:I think that it is important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because some people (black and white) have forgotten how far African Americans have come. I believe seeing these accomplishments will young African Americans to do well also. I love you bounce

Me too, It gives not only blacks but even whites a little inspiration and someone to admire. A lot of times we need encouragement to do things, and if we can look up to people like her then we have a better chance and going somewhere.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Yofeetstink on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:I chose Dr. Charles Edward Anderson. Throughout his education, Anderson recieved a masters in Meteorology, a PhD. in Meteorology, and a masters in Chemistry. Along with all of his degrees, Anderson served as a captain in the Army Air Forces in World War II, and then became a weather officer for the Tuskegee Army Airfeild weather detachment. He served as Director of the Office of Federal Coordination in Meteorology in the Environmental Science Service Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Charles Anderson was appointed as Professor of Space Science and Engineering. Anderson served as the Professor of Meteorology and Chairman of Contemporary Trends Course at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Anderson was appointed Professor of Afro-American Studies and Chairman of the Meteorology Department. Anderson was elevated to Associate Dean at University of Wisconsin, Madison. Dr. Anderson was a professor in the Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C., from 1987 until he retired in 1990. He was a major contributor to a program at the university that has received national recognition for its forecasting of severe storms. Charles Anderson's sucess during his time is remarkable and is very inspiring. I want to be that sucessful and fulfilled like Anderson some day too.
bounce As far as Black History Month is concerned, sometimes it feels like it a month that forces people to remember Black accomplishments. It should be that way. It should not matter wether they are Black or white. If a black scientist was sucessful enough and made live-changing contributions to America, people should at least have the decency to recognize their accomplishments. Its wrong to just honor black people one month and forget about them for the rest of the year. We should give them the same credit we give the white scientists all year round. Wink

I think that it is a great accomplishment for someone to be able to achieve three degrees, three high level degrees at that, and for it to be a African-American is even better.I also agree with you that it should not only be a one month thing for African-Americans to be studied. We should be learning about African-American history all year round.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Richiee12 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:
I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.

So true, because many see blacks as having a rough background and never really being good at anything or becoming anyone. These African American scientists has proved them wrong though, it kind of leaves you to believe you can be/do anything you want as long as you have determination and tenacity.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Yofeetstink on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:55 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:Annie Easley is an African American computer scientist who has worked and designed software for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. What interested me most about her (and what drew my attention to her) was that she was the only woman listed for African Americans under computer science and her work has contributed a lot to science, especially work in space. I think that it is important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because some people (black and white) have forgotten how far African Americans have come. I believe seeing these accomplishments will young African Americans to do well also. I love you bounce

I agree with you the when younger African Americans see the accomplishments of our ancestors that they may be encouraged to fulfill whatever dream they may have had.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  timmy buck buck on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.
I agree with you on this brothaman, we need to recognise black history because it solves questions that may not have been answered in the school coriculum. It also gives credit to inventors and acheivers of african ancestory.
avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  timmy buck buck on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:54 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:The scientist I chose was George Washington Carver. He was born on a farm in Missouri and graduated from college in 1896. He invented many uses and synthetics from plants such as Pecans, peanuts and sweet potatoes. He also derived many forms of dyes from different plants.

I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.
You make a good point about their achievements being overlooked by racism. Putting the knowledge of their achievements help disprove racial stereotyping and puts ouur country further ahead in the fight for equality for all races, genders and nations.
avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Archibald Alexander and Black History Month

Post  heyitssharkweek on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Archibald Alexander was a design and construction engineer during the early 1900s. He attended Iowa State University as well as studying at the University of London. Some of his contributions include the Tidal Basin Bridge in Washington, D.C., the heating plant and power station for the University of Iowa as well as the sewage treatment plant in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He received many awards during his life as well as being honored the first Republican Territorial Governor of the Virgin Islands by President Eisenhower.
I do not think it is important to recognize Black History Month... at least as much as we already do. Spanish Heritage Month receives only a few mentions on the school news channel, and the Spanish club is the only ones who seem to care. Does anyone even know about Asian Pacific American Heritage Month? November is Native American History Month. Do any of these get plastered across the news and discussed to no end on Oprah? No. No, no and no. There is a European American History Month, which possibly depending on where your family is from in Europe could be wrongly construed as "white history month". Besides President's Day and Columbus Day there really aren't any other days that celebrate "white people"- at least not national holidays. There is no need for a "white history month"- that is not my argument. Just because African Americans make up a slightly larger population of America than Hispanics, does that make Black history more important than Hispanic heritage or any other race(as of 2009 the number of Blacks in America was 38.1 million, and Hispanic and Latino was 30.4 million)? I believe it will be perfectly fine to spend hours of quality educational time studying the contributions of African-Americans once we also honor other peoples groups who have contributed to the great conglomeration of cultures that is America.

heyitssharkweek

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

She is great

Post  tweetywizard on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Rebecca J. Cole was the first Black woman to graduate from the Woman's Medical College in Pennsylvania. I think that her teaming up with the first white American woman physcian to recieve a medical degree, Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell was cool because they both achieved great things. It makes me want to say GIRL POWER!!

I believe that we should contribute more black history into what we learn everyday because if black history was so important as everyone says it is then why don't we have a lot more things about black history in our textbooks?...One month is not enough.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  tweetywizard on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:
I think it is important to recognize the achievments of african americans because some can be overlooked due to racial tendencies or discrimatory factors.


I agree with you, we need to start talking about black history more and even include it throughout the whole year and not just one month

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  tweetywizard on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote: I think that it is important to recognize the accomplishments of African Americans because some people (black and white) have forgotten how far African Americans have come. I believe seeing these accomplishments will young African Americans to do well also. I love you bounce


I totally agree with you on this because people are forgetting and we need to remind them about all of the accomplishments African Americans have done.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blck History Month

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 pm

1.In a sentence or two, introduce the contributions of the scientist you chose. What impressed you most about this sci entist?

Patricia Bath an M.D from Los Angeles, CA. and she invented the Laser apparatus for surgery of cataractous lenses it’s a Method and apparatus for ablating and removing cataract.
2. Why do you think it's important for students and teachers to take time to recognize the accomplishments of African-Americans, as we will be doing throughout the month of February?

I think it is important because a lot of people created things we use in this world we have to take the time a recognize the times African Americans took time to discover or create for us.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:1. The scientist I chose was Clarence A. Ellis who was the first African American to get a Ph.D in Computer Science. What impressed me the most was his dedication and drive, no matter how many times he wanted to give up he didn't, even though he missed out on a lot of other luxuries that other kids got.

2. I thinks it is important for students and teachers to recognize the achievements of African Americans because there are a lot of things that were done and accomplished by African Americans that no one knows about.


your right about the things that no one recognize, and i think that its great that Mr. Ellis did a great job and im glad he got his Ph. D

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - The Faces of Science

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum