5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Love_Muffins on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

I don't think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. This is because with the resources shortages we are having prolonging human life shouldn't be a main factor. Once we figure out figure out a way to make our resources steady or have more then enough then maybe we could focus on prolonging human life. I really don't have an issue with stem cell research but right now isn't the time.

Sooo when do u think its a good time. People need them now. It's never going to be a good time...
avatar
Love_Muffins

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-24
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  violinist13 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 am

smiley11 wrote: I don't think that its worth it to kill the innocent human being for study. The stem cells maybe usefull, but is it to the point to where we are saving everybody and not letting nature take its course? The Earth will recieve even more over population than it needs and it won't be able to balance itself out.

I agree with this part of you r post i think its totally wrong to do that to a human being.
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  violinist13 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 am

earthycolors wrote: I think that stem cell research should not be continued for any reason. People need to die. It's all part of the circle of life. This stem cell research is beginning to be too much. We can't play God and try to cure every single disease out there. And this would be promoting abortions (but only in dumb*sses). Yes, this is munipulating life... alot! I was probably not thinking straight wen i typed the first post... To make a long story short, No, its a bad idea to go with this.

afro afro

I agree with you a lot i think it should stop now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stem cells

Post  shopaholic94 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:39 am

2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

I think that the opinions change depending on the situation of the person. If your mother could be saved thanks to the research, you would actually say yes go for it! But some people might say that if we let people "keep living", and we raise the population to its carrying capacity, it would not be wise to use that technology and harm the lifes of the people that are actually healthy just because of the lack of resources.
I personally believe that all investigation involving the improvement of human life is welcomed, but of course it has to have a moral cross line that we souldn't walk over. What i mean is, that it shouldn't be used for the wrong purposes os misused.

shopaholic94

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  shopaholic94 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 am

londylou wrote:Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

Absolutely not! The population is already getting out of control. Using stem cell research to cure all these diseases will only make it grow more. Also, more people use up more resources. The oil will be used up much faster b/c almost every product out there has something to do with oil whether it is used directly in the product, or used in the creation of the production. Limiting factors are there for a reason: to keep everything in check, including the population. Why try to change "mother nature's" pattern? People are so quick to try and alter and change things thinking it is for the better when they dont realize it is really hurting us.

I think you are right, but what if someone in your family had "for example" cancer and the only way to save that person is to use that information obtained by the research? You would like to save that person wouldn't you?
If you say no: you are being an inmoral person
If you say yes: you are being a hypocrit, what makes you think that person deserves to be saved more that anny other person in the world?

shopaholic94

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  earthycolors on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:23 am

shopaholic94 wrote:
londylou wrote:Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

Absolutely not! The population is already getting out of control. Using stem cell research to cure all these diseases will only make it grow more. Also, more people use up more resources. The oil will be used up much faster b/c almost every product out there has something to do with oil whether it is used directly in the product, or used in the creation of the production. Limiting factors are there for a reason: to keep everything in check, including the population. Why try to change "mother nature's" pattern? People are so quick to try and alter and change things thinking it is for the better when they dont realize it is really hurting us.

I think you are right, but what if someone in your family had "for example" cancer and the only way to save that person is to use that information obtained by the research? You would like to save that person wouldn't you?
If you say no: you are being an inmoral person
If you say yes: you are being a hypocrit, what makes you think that person deserves to be saved more that anny other person in the world?

trapped...
avatar
earthycolors

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

Many people are against stem cell research because they think stem cell research is preventing life and they think stem cell research is destroying an embryo; but the truth is, a stem cell is a very small part of an embryo. There are millions of stem cells in an embryo. So, stem cell research isn't preventing life in any sort of way or form. I support stem cell research because stem cell research can be used to discover a cure for diseases. Scientists assure us with a guarantee that they can discover a cure for cancer, and many other incurable diseases through stem cell research. So, I believe that stem cell research is beneficial to us in many ways and I think that we should proceed with stem cell research.
avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?

It takes millions of stem cells to create a living organism. So, scientists wouldn't be killing a living thing to keep another person alive. If you had an incurable disease would you be willing to lose your life to keep an embryo alive ? Would you just say "oh, I guess it's time for me to go" and just die or would you try to find a way to cure your disease ?? Think about it.......would you rather lose something you don't even know yet or would you lose someone you love ?

avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 pm

NorthStar wrote:1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

I think that this stem cell research is vital to the future of the world we could probably cure more than 1,000 of incurable diseases now from one of these small remarkable cells. Even though I feel that we are manipulating nature in a way it is vital to our human existence to evolve and thrive in this world. With this remarkable research we can repair hearts, lungs, brains, nerve damage anything is possible with these new practical techniques the sky’s the limit to these research.



I completely agree with this because I believe that stem cell research is only going to make the world better for us. It doesn't hurt to lose something that isn't alive yet but it hurts to lose someone you know well and someone you love.
avatar
biologyBROTHERHOOD

Posts : 17
Join date : 2011-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stem cells:: The key to the future.

Post  20north_star12 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 am

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.


Being from a family that suffers medically, I must place my marble in the box that supports stem cell research. I think that if we have the means and tools to do the research that can effectively help advance life, then we should. I understand that it is in some sense of the word manipulation, but then again, so are a lot of other medical practices like chemo therapy. Anything that helps to cure or fight something that plagues a person medically could be considered manipulation. Think of all the possibilites of what we can do with this type of technology at our fingertips. Have you ever lost someone to cancer or maybe some other disease that has not yet been cured? Stem cells are a possible answer to these issues that can give you longer to spend with a family member or loved one. Umbilical cords used to be thrown away before the discovery of the stem cells that could be harvested from them. On January 18th, my best friend gave birth to her beautiful daughter and was offered the option of donating her cord blood to the Cardinal Glennon Stem Cell Research Foundation. This option was free of charge AND it did not harm her or the baby. If more mothers opted for this choice, then the research could advance and help human life expedentially.


20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  20north_star12 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 am

whippersnappkid wrote:I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?

While I respect your opinion, I must argue that not all stem cells are harvested from living beings. As I stated in my post, some are taken from the umbilical cord after it has been severed from the newly BORN child. This did not harm the baby or the mother. I understand and minimumally agree that humans have interferred with the natural cycle of life and that we have a natural order of things; however, is it illogical to suggest that everything happens for a reason and therefore, if we are given the opportunity to do such wonderous crafts with the art of science that we should not? If this meant spending a few more years with someone you love, would you not take the chance and run with it?

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  20north_star12 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 am

biologyBROTHERHOOD wrote:
whippersnappkid wrote:I believe it is unethical to use any embryonic stem cells for research. Scientists would be taking something that would eventually be living and manipulating it to keep another person alive. The scientist would be interfering with the life cycle which has already been interfered with so much that the world is becoming overpopulated. There's a reason those diseases are around. We shouldn't destroy a life to cure somebody else, people should die the way they were meant to after the choices they made throughout their life. What if your embryos were used for research? Does all the diseases stem cell research may cure justify the death of an innocent human?

It takes millions of stem cells to create a living organism. So, scientists wouldn't be killing a living thing to keep another person alive. If you had an incurable disease would you be willing to lose your life to keep an embryo alive ? Would you just say "oh, I guess it's time for me to go" and just die or would you try to find a way to cure your disease ?? Think about it.......would you rather lose something you don't even know yet or would you lose someone you love ?


I wanted to tag on to this and say that so many people are against stem cells for the simple fact that it prolongs life. If they are worried that the embryo will be harmed/killed, but that the already living person should die due to overpopulation would it really matter as to which being sustained life because regardless one thing lives while the other dies. (Even though the embryo really isn't killed. I stated it in this way to argue it on their level.)

20north_star12

Posts : 35
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

No I don't think stem cell research is ethical based on the human population. Why would people want to find ways to make people live longer and increase the population. We already have a large population thats increasing. People may live longer but there will be many more problems to come along with that.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

You know what. My previous post was not my final decision. I'm changing my outlook on this. I've been thinking alot about this lately and now I think that stem cell research should not be continued for any reason. People need to die. It's all part of the circle of life. This stem cell research is beginning to be too much. We can't play God and try to cure every single disease out there. And this would be promoting abortions (but only in dumb*sses). Yes, this is munipulating life... alot! I was probably not thinking straight wen i typed the first post... To make a long story short, No, its a bad idea to go with this.

afro afro

The same thing happened with me. At first I said I think stem cell research is okay but after really thinking about it I changed my mind.

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 pm

smiley11 wrote:I think that its cool to be able to use embreotic stem cells to make new tissues for the heart, brain, ect. but I don't think that its worth it to kill the innocent human being for study. The stem cells maybe usefull, but is it to the point to where we are saving everybody and not letting nature take its course? The Earth will recieve even more over population than it needs and it won't be able to balance itself out.

I do think stem cell research is wrong but theres just one thing im thinking. If we take one life to save another wouldn't that still kinda cut down the populaton? confused confused confused

MiszCheesekake41

Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum