3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Admin on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am

After watching Stem Cell Gold Rush at http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/326?gclid=CO79rKCznZcCFSEeDQodQ2wljg and investigating The National Institute of Health's website on Potential Uses of Stem Cells at http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics6.asp select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, January 19 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, January 21 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 am

Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, I do not think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. At the rate at which new life is being brought into the earth, prolonging the life that is already on it will mean less space and resources for everyone. The research required to prolong life is coming at the cost of another's. Scientists prefer to use embryonic stem cells for research, meaning that the cells were part of a an embryo that was apart of the early stages of creating a new human being. silent pale

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NON-ETHICAL

Post  krazedxasylum on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Where i stand on the use of stem cell research is that it is not ethical at all. Stem cell research is used in effect to try and prolong death. this to me is non-ethical. birth and death, the processes in life,are natural and are underwent by all things. By trying to ultimately have people live longer, their will be a major increase in the life expectancy, which in turn will lead to many environmental issues such as reaching the carrying and cultural capacities much quicker. Also, since embryonic stem cells can form into various types of cells, these are the best too use, but, they must come from something. In all, i believe that stem cell research is not ethical as it goes against the natural processes in life.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, I do not think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. At the rate at which new life is being brought into the earth, prolonging the life that is already on it will mean less space and resources for everyone. The research required to prolong life is coming at the cost of another's. Scientists prefer to use embryonic stem cells for research, meaning that the cells were part of a an embryo that was apart of the early stages of creating a new human being. silent pale
I understand what you are saying and i agree with the fact that it could cause humans to overpopulate, but stem cell research can help save so many lives and bring so much new knowlege to medical practices. If scientists can further thier knowlege on stem cells they may be able to cure diseases like cancer and diabetes. With knowlege like that we may be able to improve the quality of life for people and this may lead to a nicer world that makes smarter decisions. Smile
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Yofeetstink on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I believe that using stem cell research is not a bad idea IF like they said it is not manipulating life. The video said that using those human embryos was not manipulating life since it was not a fetus. If that is true then i do not have a problem with stem cell research however, if it is found out to be manipulating life then I will be against it because it do not think life should be tampered with like that and it should be left alone. If this does somehow find out a way to prolong life then that may be good but you are taking lives to help save other lives, even though it may not sound that bad it is bad.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ethical

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:38 pm

I believe that stem cell research is ethical, but only if people are willing to share that knowlege and research with the rest of the world. It is only fair to help everyone cure diseases like cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's. Advancement in the study of stem cells can lead to a healthier and possible nicer world. With people living longer and healthier lives we can improve the quality of life for the rest of world. Even though overpopulation may occur due to the fact that people are living longer lives, it is still beneficial to people now. We shouldn't deprive ourselves of longer lives because of what may happen in the future. Anyway, in the future we may have already solved the population crisis. I say we use stem cell research to our advantage now and worry about the consequences, if any, later on in the future. As far as being ethical, i believe that anything that can help lead to cures some of the world's most studied, resistant, and complicated diseases is an ethical thing. Exclamation
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Yofeetstink on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:
aMAIZEing94 wrote:Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, I do not think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. At the rate at which new life is being brought into the earth, prolonging the life that is already on it will mean less space and resources for everyone. The research required to prolong life is coming at the cost of another's. Scientists prefer to use embryonic stem cells for research, meaning that the cells were part of a an embryo that was apart of the early stages of creating a new human being. silent pale
I understand what you are saying and i agree with the fact that it could cause humans to overpopulate, but stem cell research can help save so many lives and bring so much new knowlege to medical practices. If scientists can further thier knowlege on stem cells they may be able to cure diseases like cancer and diabetes. With knowlege like that we may be able to improve the quality of life for people and this may lead to a nicer world that makes smarter decisions. Smile

I see where you are coming from but i do not entirely agree because those human embryos was if left alone going to become a human life. So that person's life was taken away from them without their consent and i just cant look at it as being right. They may figure out how to cure cancer or diabetes but how long will it take them, we don't know. How many lives will they have to take before they can do these things.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The other side

Post  Flipper on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:Where i stand on the use of stem cell research is that it is not ethical at all. Stem cell research is used in effect to try and prolong death. this to me is non-ethical. birth and death, the processes in life,are natural and are underwent by all things. By trying to ultimately have people live longer, their will be a major increase in the life expectancy, which in turn will lead to many environmental issues such as reaching the carrying and cultural capacities much quicker. Also, since embryonic stem cells can form into various types of cells, these are the best too use, but, they must come from something. In all, i believe that stem cell research is not ethical as it goes against the natural processes in life.

Krazedxasylum I see where you are coming from but at the same time stem cell research can indeed come in handy when trying to solve major diseases and expanding our knowlege on the human body. You say it is unnatural and goes against the natural processes in life but in many ways that is very hypocritical. I mean, the lifestyle many americans live have plenty of unnatural influences in them. How do you think life expectancy got to where it is now? Everything starts from somewhere; that is just how technology appears to work in the modern age.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Flipper on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm

The debate on whether or not stem cell research is ethical or not is a tough one to side with. My opinion is a bit biast due to personal experience because of a situation with cancer but I feel that anything that can save lives in a positive way is ethical. Technology is going to do nothing but improve with time so life expectancy should be expected to rise. It has for the past few centuries so why would it stop now. I do not think that stem cell research is going to drastically change the worlds population growth but I do think it will make it rise. But once again, technology is improving quickly and that will bring longer life and more of it. If stem cell research saves the sick I say let it. You wouldnt want to be the one stuck on your deathbed would you? bounce

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm in the middle.

Post  calientelabios234 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:18 am

Growing up in a conservative home for some reason I always tend to be in the middle. Personally I am not for stem cell research. I do not think its right for a human embryo to be taken to be experimented on. I think we should stick to what is best and I am pretty sure that there is something that is natural and does not involve taken embryos. Also if stem cell research continues and it makes the birth rate increase and then that would push us to the Earth's carrying capacity even faster, which also means that resources would be scarce. And I do not want to live through that so I think we should leave this stem cell stuff alone Smile
avatar
calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I think it is ethical to use stem cells to prolong life. However I only agree with using early embryonic stem cells because those have not become a fetus yet. I think that stem cells could be used as a tool and could probably increase the average life span as much as antibiotics did. Stem cells could genuinely help many issues and save countless lives while harming no one.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:Where i stand on the use of stem cell research is that it is not ethical at all. Stem cell research is used in effect to try and prolong death. this to me is non-ethical. birth and death, the processes in life,are natural and are underwent by all things. By trying to ultimately have people live longer, their will be a major increase in the life expectancy, which in turn will lead to many environmental issues such as reaching the carrying and cultural capacities much quicker. Also, since embryonic stem cells can form into various types of cells, these are the best too use, but, they must come from something. In all, i believe that stem cell research is not ethical as it goes against the natural processes in life.

I understand where you are coming from but stem cells wouldn't be a study used to find something like immortality. The natural process of death is tampered with everyday by the use of medicine and machines. I think stem cells would just be a more advanced type of medicine geared towards curing life threatening diseases and conditions.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

stem cells

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

1. After introducing yourself to the ethical implications of stem cell research, what is your stance? Should we proceed with stem cell research? Or is utilizing this technology manipulating life? Support your stance.

i feel that this stem cell research was a great idea, it helps a lot of people once you think about it. i think they should proceed with the research. this stem cell research could come in handy when some one life is at risk.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think it is ethical to use stem cells to prolong life. However I only agree with using early embryonic stem cells because those have not become a fetus yet. I think that stem cells could be used as a tool and could probably increase the average life span as much as antibiotics did. Stem cells could genuinely help many issues and save countless lives while harming no one.

i see where your coming from with the embryonic stem cells, that really is a great thing about the stem cell reasearch

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, I do not think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. At the rate at which new life is being brought into the earth, prolonging the life that is already on it will mean less space and resources for everyone. The research required to prolong life is coming at the cost of another's. Scientists prefer to use embryonic stem cells for research, meaning that the cells were part of a an embryo that was apart of the early stages of creating a new human being. silent pale


i feel you on this but think of the people that cant have babies and how they feel about this.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dont even know...

Post  Hollywood on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on stem cell research... I think that using it would contrast with Mother nature and way of life but it can also save people with cancer. I am a personal victim of losing someone close to me who had cancer and I would have wanted to do anything to save them. So I'm not entirely sure... :/
avatar
Hollywood

Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Special Purpose...

Post  penguin94 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Admin wrote:
2. Now that you understand some of the potential uses of stem cell research, it is obvious that using this technology will extend human life. Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, do you think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical? Explain your stance.

This issue is a very "touchy" one and forgive me if I offend some who may read this entry, but I believe that stem cell research is unethical. The human population is growing at a vastly overwhelming rate and I do not believe that it is right to prolong human life more than it is necessary. There are not nearly enough resources and some countries, namely the U.S., have exceedingly overused these resources. I am sure that we could find other ways to prolong human life and cure diseases. Also, God gives us a time to live, and a time to die and he will take us from this world when we have done that which he knows is enough. Stem Cell research is, for me, not an option. I dislike the knowledge that people would continue to suffer without the research, but I am confident in my beliefs. God put us on this Earth for a purpose and those weaknesses and disabilities that we have will be for the better and will help us fulfill that purpose. When I say this, I think of all of the wonderful people who have disabilities. Who in this world has not been touched by those who we have watched struggle to survive in their terrible condidtions? These people inspire me and make me realize that my life could be more difficult and makes me appreciate that which I have. It also makes me love them and want to do everything I possibly can to help them, even if it is a small thing.

Also, some people say that when you use stem cells from a pre-fetus stage organism, it is not harming a human baby. I say that it is the parent's choice whether or not to allow that, but I do believe that by taking those cells and killing the organism in the process, you are denying a spirit child of God to have the possibility of a life. Although this world is imperfect and has many terrible trials, each and every child of God deserves to have a chance to experience life and learn and prove themselves worthy to return to God's presence when they die.
Again, forgive me if I am offensive, but we all have a purpose. Yet, it is your decision.


Last edited by penguin94 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because it was needed :))
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 pm

calientelabios234 wrote: Personally I am not for stem cell research. I do not think its right for a human embryo to be taken to be experimented on. I think we should stick to what is best and I am pretty sure that there is something that is natural and does not involve taken embryos. Also if stem cell research continues and it makes the birth rate increase and then that would push us to the Earth's carrying capacity even faster, which also means that resources would be scarce.

I do not think it is right for a human embryo to be taken for experiments either. I agree that it would be nice if a natural approach was taken. We also do not need any more reason for an increase in birth rates. The world needs all its resources conserved as much as possible.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:17 pm

penguin94 wrote:Also, some people say that when you use stem cells from a pre-fetus stage organism, it is not harming a human baby. I say that it is the parent's choice whether or not to allow that, but I do believe that by taking those cells and killing the organism in the process, you are denying a spirit child of God to have the possibility of a life. Although this world is imperfect and has many terrible trials, each and every child of God deserves to have a chance to experience life and learn and prove themselves worthy to return to God's presence when they die.
Again, forgive me if I am offensive, but we all have a purpose. Yet, it is your decision.

That is a great to put it! Taking an embryo is taking a life that would have benefited the world in some way or another. Just because the life was not yet fully developed does not mean that it does not count and can be taken for anybody's use. Given a few months, it would be considered a baby.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Suga-Mama on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Flipper wrote:The debate on whether or not stem cell research is ethical or not is a tough one to side with. My opinion is a bit biast due to personal experience because of a situation with cancer but I feel that anything that can save lives in a positive way is ethical. Technology is going to do nothing but improve with time so life expectancy should be expected to rise. It has for the past few centuries so why would it stop now. I do not think that stem cell research is going to drastically change the worlds population growth but I do think it will make it rise. But once again, technology is improving quickly and that will bring longer life and more of it. If stem cell research saves the sick I say let it. You wouldnt want to be the one stuck on your deathbed would you? bounce
That is the same way i feel. If i was the one on my deathbed and stem cell reasearch could help save my life, i would be pretty upset if i was against the law to save me. Also, so what if population rises. Humanity will just have to deal with it when the time comes. I say stem cell research has the potential to save many lives and improve the over-all health of the world. Anything that can do that is ethical to me. Very Happy
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  iluvowls on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Based on the fact that the world is overpopulated, I still find it ethical to keep stem cells in order to cure cancer or other health problems because those people are already alive. Overpolulation is another subject because that is all about deciding whether they want a child or not. I definitely think keeping stem cells I a good idea. If a small is dying of cancer and a cure can be found for it through research, that child should be able live their life.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  penguin94 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm

tw33tybirdn3rd wrote:
aMAIZEing94 wrote:Based on last semester's studies on human population growth, I do not think that using stem cell research for prolonging human life is ethical. At the rate at which new life is being brought into the earth, prolonging the life that is already on it will mean less space and resources for everyone. The research required to prolong life is coming at the cost of another's. Scientists prefer to use embryonic stem cells for research, meaning that the cells were part of a an embryo that was apart of the early stages of creating a new human being. silent pale


i feel you on this but think of the people that cant have babies and how they feel about this.
what do you mean think about the people that can't have babies? they wouldnt be able to use the stem cells to create their own child because the stem cells aren't used for that. they are used for curing diseases and such.
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  penguin94 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:Also, so what if population rises. Humanity will just have to deal with it when the time comes. I say stem cell research has the potential to save many lives and improve the over-all health of the world. Anything that can do that is ethical to me. Very Happy
well what if, when the population does rise dramatically and causes a bunch of problems, you are still alive? then it becomes your problem too. it's kind of the same way that the "baby boomer" generation was. they grew up after WW2 and so many did not know or experience poverty and i believe that those "baby boomers" that were/are in government positions spent and are spending too much because they didnt think about the future and so now the U.S. is in debt and the problem is now our generation's problem. we cant shrug off a problem that could cause future damage and leave it to the other generations. it just isn't right!
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  timmy buck buck on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:16 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:Where i stand on the use of stem cell research is that it is not ethical at all. Stem cell research is used in effect to try and prolong death. this to me is non-ethical. birth and death, the processes in life,are natural and are underwent by all things. By trying to ultimately have people live longer, their will be a major increase in the life expectancy, which in turn will lead to many environmental issues such as reaching the carrying and cultural capacities much quicker. Also, since embryonic stem cells can form into various types of cells, these are the best too use, but, they must come from something. In all, i believe that stem cell research is not ethical as it goes against the natural processes in life.
I agree with you because you make a valid point in saying that stem cell research defies nature. On the other hand i think its a good thing because it may be a cure for cancer and i lost a grandmother to cancer. Its not fun at all.
avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  timmy buck buck on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm

calientelabios234 wrote: Growing up in a conservative home for some reason I always tend to be in the middle. Personally I am not for stem cell research. I do not think its right for a human embryo to be taken to be experimented on. I think we should stick to what is best and I am pretty sure that there is something that is natural and does not involve taken embryos. Also if stem cell research continues and it makes the birth rate increase and then that would push us to the Earth's carrying capacity even faster, which also means that resources would be scarce. And I do not want to live through that so I think we should leave this stem cell stuff alone Smile
Im hip with this statement. By all means, if there is a natural way to reach the same goal as stem cell research do that instead. We shouldn't have to tamper with embryos and nature. This defies a humans capabilities and goes against all that is pure in a religious perspective. But on the secular view it could save lives and help cure deadly diseases and injuries. For now im indifferent because i cant decide whether it s a good or bad thing to experiment in.
avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour -- Stem Cell Controversy

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum