5th Hour - Jennie Finch

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am

Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

In your posting, be sure to:
1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.
2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

Original Posting - Due Wednesday, January 12 by 11:59 pm
Response Postings - Due Friday, January 14 by 11:59 pm

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  smiley11 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:27 pm

IV: pitching
DV: difficulty of hitting the pitch
Hypothesis: if the pitching style changes then the difficulty of hitting the pitch will increase
2 Constants: pitching style, same pepople for the pitching
2 Sources of error: didn't pitch at the same time, how many pitches each threw
Title: The effect of the pitching style will effect the the difficulty of hitting the pitch

Last edited by smiley11 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jennie Finch

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 pm

IV-Baseball or Softball speed
DV- reaction time to hit the ball
2 CONSTANTS-the person throwing the ball, and same are throwing it
2 POSSIBLE ERRORS-calculations could have been wrong, and different people recording the time
HYPOTHESIS- If the baseball or softball speeds were increasd, then the reaction time to hitting them would be different.
TITLE- The effect of baseball or softball speed on the reaction time to hit the ball.

EXTRAS.!!!!!
i didnt kno that skateboards were made out of 7 plies of sugar lol (sugar maple veneers). I never really knew exactly what they were made out of..Just always assumed they were made of wood and plastic stuff lol well..take a look and you will see on the website! Laughing

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Smiey dog!

Post  earthycolors on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm

1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

IV: Whether the ball is a softball or a baseball
DV: Whether the ball is hit or not
Hypothesis: If the ball type increases, then whether the ball is hit or not will increase.
2 constants: baseball and softball stay the same, pitcher and batter stay the same.
2 Possible sources of error: They use a different baseball or softball at different times, or the person pitching or batting is changed
Title: the effect of changing the type of ball on whether the ball is hit or not.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Its more difficult to hit fast baseball or fast softball pitch?

Post  NorthStar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 pm

2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

IV: Fast pitched baseball or softball

DV: Hitting ability of the ball

Hypothesis: If you try to hit a fast pitched softball then, the hitting ability of the ball will decrease.

2 Constants:
Player Hitting the Ball
Environment were the pitching and hitting is taking place

The two possible sources of error in the experiment could the inconsistency of were the ball was pitched and two different people hitting the baseball/softball

Last edited by NorthStar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to putin my Hypothesis)

NorthStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthStar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

[quote="Pr3ttyGurlRock12"]IV-Baseball or Softball speed
2 POSSIBLE ERRORS-calculations could have been wrong, and different people recording the time
HYPOTHESIS- If the baseball or softball speeds were increasd, then the reaction time to hitting them would be different.
TITLE- The effect of baseball or softball speed on the reaction time to hit the ball.

I didn't think that the DV was the reaction time to hit the baseball or softball because the main experiment question was to determine if its hard to hit a baseball of a softball. This a factor that determines the if its hard to hit a baseball of a softball but, i wouldn't make that my DV for the experiment if I was doing it. That's how I saw the experiment should be broken down too.

NorthStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthStar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm

smiley11 wrote:IV: pitching
DV: difficulty of hitting the pitch
Hypothesis: if the pitching style changes then the difficulty of hitting the pich will increase
2 Constants: pitching style, same pepople for the pitching
2 Sources of error: didn't pitch at the same time, how many pitches each threw
Title: The effect of the pitching style will effect the the difficulty of hitting the pitch

I didn't of the the sources of error the you came up with they actually are pretty conclusive. The different time of pitching can effect the hitting ability of the ball that's a really good observation I didn't think of that sources of error. Very Happy

NorthStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm

The Effect type of a ball has on percent of accurate hits
IV: Type of ball (Baseball, Softball)
DV: Accuracy in hitting the ball
Hypothesis: If the ball is a baseball, then accuracy in hitting the ball will increase.
Constants: Person hitting the ball, amount of energy person has when hitting the ball
Sources of Error: The baseball player on the show is a professional baseball player, untrained in softball.
The pitches could be inconsistent since it is a person pitching instead of a machine.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/afterschool/activities/index.php?activity=171&program=942
Personally I found this interesting because I saw the balloon shaped ice with air bubbles in it, it turns it deals with density, temperature, freezing points, and the characteristics of the states of water, water vapor, and ice.

whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sport science is helpful for sport players

Post  violinist13 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:48 pm

IV: pitching style
DV: difficulty of hitting
Hypothesis: If the pitching style changes then the difficulty of hitting increases.
2 constants: type of batter, type of bat.
Two possible sources of errors could be that the batter didnt get time to rest and anther one could be the baseball pitcher didnt use all of his strength.
I found the science of baseball interesting because the way the pitcher moves all of his parts move insinck with each other and happened at the right time so his pitch is acurate

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

IV- speed and type of ball
DV-which is harder to hit
Constants- person hitting the ball, person throwing the ball (Jennie Finch, and the other guy)
Sources of error- Jennie Finch standing closer to the hitter than the baseball guy. (Even though that's how you play baseball, it still didnt seem right)
Title- Effect of ball type on batting difficulty

2. At the Sports Science Exploratorium, I did not look at sports, but I did look at Science, and found my age on different planets...and I won't live to see my first birthday!

On PLuto: I am 944.3 Plutonian days, and 0.069 Plutonian years, and my next birthday is on Tuesday, March 29, 2242!

This pertains to science because I am showing how different planets that are farther away from the sun, have long revolutions that Earth's 365 days.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I hate baseball

Post  animalluver on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

IV: type of ball and speed of ball.
Constants: Jenny Finch (person throwing ball) brand of ball, distance to throw ball.
Errors:
1.Two IV's are tested.
2. Distance changes.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

clown 1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

IV:fast-pitched softball or baseball
DV:difficulty of hitting ball
Hypothisis: If the the softball is pitched, the the difficty of hitting the ball will decrease.
CV's:person pitching the ball, wind speed
sources of error:the balls could have been pitched differently, the standing position to hit the ball could have been different
Title: The effect of pitching a softball or baseball on the difficulty of hitting the ball clown

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

NorthStar wrote:1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

IV: Fast pitched baseball or softball

DV: Hitting ability of the ball

Hypothesis: If you try to hit a fast pitched softball then, the hitting ability of the ball will decrease.

2 Constants:
Player Hitting the Ball
Environment were the pitching and hitting is taking place

The two possible sources of error in the experiment could the inconsistency of were the ball was pitched and two different people hitting the baseball/softball

hey that second one is a really good constant . because if someone is batting on a nice sunny day and the other is doing it in the cold and snow I think there's goin to be a difference. cyclops

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:07 pm

earthycolors wrote:1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

Hypothesis: If the ball type increases, then whether the ball is hit or not will increase.
2 constants: baseball and softball stay the same, pitcher and batter stay the same.
2 Possible sources of error: They use a different baseball or softball at different times, or the person pitching or batting is changed
Title: the effect of changing the type of ball on whether the ball is hit or not.

Okay im not being mean like out of all seriousness, how does the ball type increase?? lol!

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That girls a beast :)

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 pm

IV: type of ball being pitched.
DV: amount of force from the pitched ball.
Constants: the pitchers pitching which ball & the equipment used to measure the pitches.
2 Possible Error sources: the number of pitches thrown & the pitchers being different.
Title: Effect of Ball Type on Impact Due to Force.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

"Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?"

Post  soccergal93 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 am

"The Effects of A Fast-Pitched Baseball VS. Fast-Pitched Softball, on How Difficult It Is To Hit The Pitch."

1. IV - Whether it was a fast-pitched baseball or a fast-pitched softball
2. DV - How difficult it is to hit the pitch
3. Hypothesis - If the pitch is a fast-pitched softball, rather than a fast-pitched baseball, then the difficulty of hitting the pitch will increase.
4. 2CV's - The batter trying to hit the pitches, and the individuals representing each type of pitch
5. There are many possible sources of error for this experiment, including equipment breaking and not recording the right data, or the batter not having any experience hitting softballs (in my opinion they should have tested a softball player with both of the pitchers as well)

I read a little on the history of how the sport "softball" began, the article "Girls of Summer", how women came into the picture.. did you know that women were allowed to play along with the boys in the sport of baseball before they were allowed to vote or to own property under their own name after marriage? The first women's baseball attire weighed a total of 30 pounds of layers of clothing to cover revealing skin. "Bloomers Girls" teams were set up throughout the country, mainly to provide experience of diversity for the young men thought to be on their way up to the majors. In the 1930's the Bloomers Girls teams dissappeared, and later in the 1950's women formed the All American Girl's Baseball League (AAGBL) and were playing, basically baseball, in skirts. Since then women have settled for their own sport, softball, in many different leagues.The last woman who took promising steps towards breaking the barriers to boy's professional baseball retired in 2000, which wasn't that long ago at all.
The only reason I can really think of right now as to how this pertains to science, is that we wouldn't have this experiment to analyze if it weren't for women pushing history for what they thought to be fair and equal rights, because the sport softball wouldn't be available to compare baseball pitches to. I just thought the facts were kindof interesting.

soccergal93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:01 am

IV: Whether the ball is a baseball or softball
DV: Speed and ability to hit the ball
Constants: Type of bat, athletic ability of person receiving ball
Sources of Error: the speed of ball could have been recorded incorrectly or the pitcher could have thrown the ball a different way one time
Title: The Effect of Type of Ball on Ability to hit ball

Part Two: I found it interesting that in the 1870s women played in an outfit that weighed as much as 30 pounds and included a floor-length skirt, underskirts, a long-sleeved, high-necked blouse, and high button shoes.

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 am

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:
earthycolors wrote:1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

Okay im not being mean like out of all seriousness, how does the ball type increase?? lol!

I don't know, but that's how we're just supposed to type it. I guess "changes" would be a better defined word for it, but it wouldn't be a proper hypothesis in the proper format.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 am

Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:IV-Baseball or Softball speed

EXTRAS.!!!!!
i didnt kno that skateboards were made out of 7 plies of sugar lol (sugar maple veneers). I never really knew exactly what they were made out of..Just always assumed they were made of wood and plastic stuff lol well..take a look and you will see on the website! Laughing

That's a good IV and DV and I didn't know that skateboards were made of 7 piles of sugar either. The more you know, eh. I seriously had no idea that a softball was harder to hit than a baseball, even though in technical terms, i still believe a baseball is harder to hit (because of it's size if both balls were thrown the same way from the same distance).

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:40 am

londylou wrote:IV: Whether the ball is a baseball or softball
Sources of Error: the speed of ball could have been recorded incorrectly or the pitcher could have thrown the ball a different way one time

Part Two: I found it interesting that in the 1870s women played in an outfit that weighed as much as 30 pounds and included a floor-length skirt, underskirts, a long-sleeved, high-necked blouse, and high button shoes.

Your info is good and all, but aren't you forgetting the hypothesis? And where'd you find that video on part 2. It would've been cool to find out just how much women wore in the 1870's. study I had the same Title as you in my answer. lol.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 am

londylou wrote:IV: Whether the ball is a baseball or softball

I like all the data here, but you are missing the hypothesis...wearing all those articles of clothing while playing softball would be very hard to do. I don't even like playing softball in long sleeves cause it bothers me, lol. It would be very hard to run in a skirt that goes all the way to the floor. Very interesting...

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am

earthycolors wrote:
Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:IV-Baseball or Softball speed

EXTRAS.!!!!!

I like your IV and DV. I didn't know that skateboards were made of 7 piles of sugar either. The more you know, eh. I didn't think that hitting a softball would be that hard for a baseball player, because supposedly softball and baseball are the "same sport" so they should be able to hit it.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 pm

IV: Type of ball pitched.(Baseball or softball)
DV: Difficulty of hitting the ball
Hypothesis: If the pitching ball changes then the difficulty of hitting increases.
Constants: Person hitting the ball, Type of bat.
Source of errors:basketball player hotting softball, The glass or plastic instrument used to test the force was already hit hard by the baseball and Jenni hit the same instrument which might be already started breaking.
Title- The effect of type of ball on reaction time.

biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  biologyBROTHERHOOD on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm

animalluver wrote:Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

IV: type of ball and speed of ball.
Constants: Jenny Finch (person throwing ball) brand of ball, distance to throw ball.
Errors:
1.Two IV's are tested.
2. Distance changes.

I guess u r right , they first tested the force and speed and then later they tested the reaction time. They used these two sources to find which is harder to hit. it's little bit confusing cos they used two variable(basses ball n softball) to find the first IV(force n speed)
scratch scratch

biologyBROTHERHOOD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

STRIKE !

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 pm

IV- pitching style
DV- difficulty of a fast pitch soft ball or baseball
hypothesis- If you hit a fast pitch soft ball then you will have more difficultly than hitting a baseball.
2 constants- the size of the balls. the pitchers
2 possible sources- the gender of the pitcher
the position of the pitcher
Title- The effect of ball type on the pitching speed difficulty.
The simple fact that lady, Jennie Fitch, had so much power in her throw interested me. Also the fact that the soft ball was way faster & powerful than the baseball was surprising.

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top