3rd Hour - Jennie Finch

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  Pr3ttyGurlRock12 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am

Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

In your posting, be sure to:
1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.
2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

Original Posting - Due Wednesday, January 12 by 11:59 pm
Response Postings - Due Friday, January 14 by 11:59 pm

Pr3ttyGurlRock12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Softball rules!!

Post  tweetywizard on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball. How hard a softball hits a surface and also how when a girl throws a softball and it slowly rises. I think it is so cool that a girls pitch can break gravity and slowly increase in the hieght. But i think they should have tested a girl trying to hit a baseball, because who knows, she may not be able to hit a baseball. That can be used for a new experiment. Smile

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Jennie Finch

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm

The IV of this experiment was whether a baseball or a softball was pitched.
The DV was the force needed to hit the ball.
A hypothesis would be If a softball was pitched as opposed to a baseball, then the force needed to hit the ball would be greater.
Two constants include the pitchers and the brand of balls used.
One source of error is that the same pitchers were used during each stage of the experiment and their strength was decreasing with every ball thrown. Another source of error is the fact that the softball pitcher was pitching closer to the hitter than the baseball pitcher.
A possible title could be The Effect of Whether a Baseball or Softball was Pitched on the Force Needed to Hit the Ball.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Muy interasante

Post  Flipper on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am

I thought this video was very interesting but i disagreed with the baseball player hitting both balls. I think if they were going to do it that way the should have also had a softball player hit both balls also. The baseball player is trained to hit baseballs so to me it isnt accurate data. But it is still amazing to see how the softball is harder to hit than a baseball and it packs more pound pressure than a baseball. I think the technique used to throw the balls influence how fast, powerfully and accurately they move. It is definately not the results I were expecting.

Flipper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 am

Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:Watch FSN's SportScience episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitch baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to explain how it pertains to science.

A 90 mph fast ball takes about a half second to reach home plate. Normal humans reaction time is about .2 seconds. Baseball is a game played at the edge of biological time, just within the limits of a human's ability to react. During the entire middle portion of the pitch, the batter must time the ball and decide where to swing. Reaction time is always measured. How fast can someone or something do this? How fast can you react? It kind of ties into the game of "Think Fast." This can be related to ANY time something in a experiment is being measured to see how long it takes to react with the next substance. How fast can you catch the ball before it hits you? How fast does substance A react with substance B to form a new substance C? How long does it take for two cars to collide with each other when going 75mph, 2000 ft away from each other? All of these test reaction time and can be performed as an experiment.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

1. Identify the IV, DV, hypothesis, 2 constants, and 2 possible sources of error for the experiment. In addition, suggest a title for the experiment.

I.V:The ball being pitched

D.V:The hit ratio

Hypothesis:If a batter was thrown a fastball vs. a softball, then the hit ratio would increase with the fastball and decrease with the softball.

Constants:(1.)The wind speed/direction during the experiment
(2.)They should have had 2 pitchers of equal strength

Errors:(1.)They should have had a softball batter hit the softball, and a baseball hitter hit the fastball.
(2.)They should have replaced the broken senser and done more than one speed test on the softball and the baseball.

Title:The effect of ball type on hit ratio

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i am so cool :)

Post  RylesTuesday on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 am

the iv: how the ball was thrown. (how it's thrown in the sport of baseball or softball as in the angle, if it rose while in the air or fell and how close the pitcher was to the batter.)
the dv: how hard it was to hit the ball
hypothesis: if how the ball was thrown is changed then the difficulty of hitting the ball increases.
2 constants: the batter and the room it was thrown in
2 errors: they didn't tell her exact mph of speed of jennie's throw and they didn't tell the force of her pitch because they had no 2nd force plate.
title: the effect of softball and baseball pitches on the difficulty of hitting them

sports science exploratorium research: i looked at the science of skateboarding and it intrigued me. when skateboarders do one of the most basic moves, the ollie, there are 3 forces involved in performing it. there are forces of the weight of the rider, a force of gravity on the board itself and a force of the ground pushing up on the skateboard. when someone does a successful ollie jump it looks like their feet are always touching the board but they aren't. his rear foot has to lift the same time the tail of the board is rising in the air to look like his feet are stuck on the board throughout the trick. this pertains to science because of the forces pulling and pushing on the board and rider, also the laws of gravity factor into skateboarding as well.

RylesTuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Baseball Oh My God Base God!!!

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Pr3ttyGurlRock12 wrote:Watch FSN's Sport Science episode on Jennie Finch, where science is used to answer the question, "Which is more difficult to hit - a fast-pitched baseball or softball?" The video can be watched on You-Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1 In addition to watching the video, visit the Sports Science Exploratorium at http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/sports_science/

In your posting, be sure to:

Original Posting - Due Wednesday, January 12 by 11:59 pm
Response Postings - Due Friday, January 14 by 11:59 pm
In the experiment the IV was the type of pitcher and the ball used. The DV was the batters reaction time for hitting the ball. My hypothesis was "If the You use a baseball pitcher then the accuracy of the baseball batter will increase". A two sources of error was one, the fact that they didn't use a softball batter and two they did not use the same technique each time the ball was thrown and the experiment was tested. Two constants are the the batter and the conditions in which he batted in. The title should be "The Affect of Pitching On The Reaction Time Of A Baseball Batter".

The thing I found interesting on the Sports Science Exploratorium is how bad my reaction time is to the ball. I looked and tried to hit the ball on the game but i missed everytime. I learned that baseball players must have good reaction time in baseball to be good.

timmy buck buck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

IV-Difficulty of hitting
DV-ball type
Constants-same batter, same balls
Possible sources of error-the pitch could have been off, speeds could have been recorded wrong
Title- The effect of type of ball pitched on difficulty of hitting

I checked out the hockey section of the website and I found it very interesting that it takes so many variables to hit a puck hard. Most of it comes from weight transfer and physics.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whoot.!

Post  Hollywood on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I never would have guessed that a softball was harder to hit than a baseball. I always thought a baseball would be more difficult to hit because of it's size not because of the amount of force it has when it reaches home plate.

Hollywood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very Intriguing :)

Post  calientelabios234 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I think this experiment was very interesting. I would not have thought that hitting a softball was harder than a baseball. Partly because some people think women's sports are jokes, and that they are really easy. But I think what might cause the softball to be harder to hit than the baseball is the technique she uses to throw the ball. If you notice how they both throw the ball the baseball player turns his body while throwing once, he throws the ball his legs is off the ground which could mean his body is exerting more energy, that could take more energy to support his body subtracting the force that is used to throw the baseball. Now if you watch Jenny, she makes a giant leap and her body slightly turns and her arm is not as high as the baseball pitcher, but the ball leaves her hand before her body is off the ground it could mean that her body uses the right amount to throw the ball and the rest of the energy is used to lift her off the ground. The experiment is very nice but I would have added a girl softball player to hit both balls. Razz

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

IV: Ball Pitched
DV: Hit Ratio
HYPOTHESIS: If the ball pitched is different than it would affect the hit ratio.
2 SOURCES OF ERROR: distance of each pitch may be different
The mph of the ball may be wrong
TITLE: the Effect of the Ball Pitched to the Hit Ratio.

2. Discuss something you found interesting at the Sports Science Exploratorium. Share it with your classmates, being sure to expla how it pertains to science.

I didn’t know that a bicycle wheel was related to science. The wheel has something to do with the velocity and efficiency of the wheel. I find it very interesting.

tw33tybirdn3rd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Hollywood wrote:I never would have guessed that a softball was harder to hit than a baseball. I always thought a baseball would be more difficult to hit because of it's size not because of the amount of force it has when it reaches home plate.

i would hve never thought that a softball was harder to hit than the baseball. i am very shocked i would have never known dt.

tw33tybirdn3rd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 pm

tweetywizard wrote: I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball. How hard a softball hits a surface and also how when a girl throws a softball and it slowly rises. I think it is so cool that a girls pitch can break gravity and slowly increase in the hieght. But i think they should have tested a girl trying to hit a baseball, because who knows, she may not be able to hit a baseball. That can be used for a new experiment. Smile

i didnt know that the height of the ball mattered. if a professional baseball player was to play in a softball league then they would really suck lol

tw33tybirdn3rd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

GIRLS RULE!!!! :D

Post  penguin94 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Of course a Softball is harder to hit than a baseball! Just look at the pitch! It's WAAAAYYY more complex than a baseball pitch, and the pitcher's mound is closer so there is less reaction time! Proof that girls are better than girls Wink
IV: whether or not the ball pitched was a baseball or softball
DV: how difficult it is to hit the ball
Hypothesis: If the type of ball is changed from baseball to softball, then the ball will be harder to hit
2 Constants: the same pitchers, and the same brand of ball used
2 Errors: there was a difference in distance between the pitcher's mound and home plate as well as that it was not fair to the hitter because he was only familiar with hitting baseballs and not softballs.
Title: The effect of the type of ball on the amount of difficulty it is to hit it.
GIRLS RULE!!! cheers
Also, the skateboard trick called the ollie is so cool!!! ive never been able to do it completely, but its so much fun!!! i never knew all of the science involved in the trick either. there are 3 different forces that are put upon the skateboard as the trick is performed: the weight of the skateboarder, gravity, and the force of the ground pushing up on the skateboard. Its so COOL!!! Cool

Last edited by penguin94 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : finish assignment)

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Softball anyone?

Post  PaulyD on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:10 pm

IV: whether or not the ball pitched was a baseball or softball
Hypothesis: If the type of ball is changed from baseball to softball, then the ball will be harder to hit
2 Errors: there was a difference in distance between the pitcher's mound and home plate as well as that it was not fair to the hitter because he was only familiar with hitting baseballs and not softballs.
Title: The effect of the type of ball on the amount of difficulty it is to hit it.

i also found it cool that it doesnt always require muscle to hit a out of the park. it all depends on the wind and In order to take advantage of a wind, hitters may try to alter the trajectory of their hits. Conversely, if the wind is blowing out, hitters may try to loft a deep fly ball in the hopes that the wind will carry it over the fence as a home run. who knew? Shocked haha Very Happy

PaulyD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 pm

After watching this video, i am not shocked at all. A baseball seems reasonably easier to hit than a softball. The independent variable of this experioment is the type of ball. The dependent variable is the force used to hit the ball. My hypothesis for this exoeriment would read if a baseball was pitchde instead of a softball, then the force excerted to hit the baseball would be less than that of a softball. Two constants would be the brand of baseballs and softballs, as there are many different brands and also the pitcher who is pitching must stay constant. One possible source of error is the force of the pitch. It is proven that the force of the pitches ultimately will be different as you cannot perfectly repeat the same action twice. Also because after more than one pitch, the force will most likely decrease. Another source of error is the different types of pitch. When pitching a softball, you pitch underhand and are closer to the plate as when pitching a baseball you throw overhand, usually, and are farther away from the plate, which can ultimately vary the results. One thing that i find very interesting is that how strong you is not the only thing that will determine whether or not you hit home-runs. Another important thing is bat speed. The speed at which you swing your bat and the wind also contribute to the cause

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:32 pm

IV: type of ball
DV: Hitting difficulty
Title: effect of ball type on hitting difficulty
Hypothesis: if the the soft ball is pitched, then it will be more difficult to catch.
Controls: 1. Strength of pitcher 2. Catcher
Sources of error: 1. Different pitchers 2. Ways of pitching the ball

I found it interesting that the Jenny broke the glass with the softball but the first pitcher didn't. I think that because of the components that the softball is made of, it is able to go faster which means it is harder to catch.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Baseball, Softball and Good Hair!

Post  heyitssharkweek on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 am

IV: ball type (softball or baseball)
DV: hit ratio (difficulty to hit the ball)
Hypothesis: If the ball type is a softball, then the hit ratio will be lower.
Constants: 1) force/direction of wind 2) (should have been) pitcher/force of pitch
Error: 1) Each ball was thrown at a different velocity 2) There were two different pitchers and pitching styles
Title: The Effect of Ball Type on Hitting Ratio

While browsing the Sports Science Exploratorium I found an article on the science of good hair. It was actually very interesting and really did pertain to science. The author of the article, Pat Murphy, discussed many of the bad hair problems many women- and even men- face. She used her own hair troubles as jumping off points to research and experiment what gives us good, or bad, hair! For example, the acidity of shampoo, and the detergent in it, is what makes hair beautiful and shiny. Alkali solutions and plain soap make hair dull, rough and unhealthy. A good alternative for no shampoo... lemon juice or vinegar! And to be honest, just because a shampoo foams really well, doesn't mean it works any better. The foaming agent is only added because many Americans associate foaming with more cleaning power! If you have lank, stiff hair and want some body, don't use conditioner! It weighs down the hair! Of course, conditioner is important very once in a while because it helps "heal" hair (hair is only dead cells, so it can't actually heal) by coating it, a if it were replacing parts of the hair's cuticle. There really is a lot of biology and chemistry involved in having good hair! Who knew?!

heyitssharkweek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RylesTuesday on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm

timmy buck buck wrote:
In the experiment the IV was the type of pitcher and the ball used. The DV was the batters reaction time for hitting the ball. My hypothesis was "If the You use a baseball pitcher then the accuracy of the baseball batter will increase". A two sources of error was one, the fact that they didn't use a softball batter and two they did not use the same technique each time the ball was thrown and the experiment was tested. Two constants are the the batter and the conditions in which he batted in. The title should be "The Affect of Pitching On The Reaction Time Of A Baseball Batter".

The thing I found interesting on the Sports Science Exploratorium is how bad my reaction time is to the ball. I looked and tried to hit the ball on the game but i missed everytime. I learned that baseball players must have good reaction time in baseball to be good.

woahhhhhhhhhhhh, there's a game you can play? i wanna play it! i think i would miss every time on it too. i never knew how fast a batter really had to react to be able to hit those fastballs. i agree that a source of error was not using a softball batter. i don't think it was fair using the baseball batter both times because he wasn't use to pitches like that.

RylesTuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RylesTuesday on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:59 pm

PaulyD wrote:IV: whether or not the ball pitched was a baseball or softball

i also found it cool that it doesnt always require muscle to hit a out of the park. it all depends on the wind and In order to take advantage of a wind, hitters may try to alter the trajectory of their hits. Conversely, if the wind is blowing out, hitters may try to loft a deep fly ball in the hopes that the wind will carry it over the fence as a home run. who knew? Shocked haha Very Happy

that's cool. i never knew that it can depend on wind for batters. but i guess that makes a lot of sense. i would rather use the wind to hit a homerun than to try to do it all on my strength. i bet players like it when it's windy then, but only if it's to their advantage. don't you also think that episode was trying to get jennie to win? cause they could have put another force plate up there or something and they didn't show her speed on her pitches but they did on the baseball one that pitched 95. i also think the plate broke because she was closer to it. also she lunges forward so much when she pitches that it makes it a lot more closer. just pointing crap out Smile

RylesTuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  penguin94 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:12 pm

heyitssharkweek wrote: While browsing the Sports Science Exploratorium I found an article on the science of good hair. It was actually very interesting and really did pertain to science. The author of the article, Pat Murphy, discussed many of the bad hair problems many women- and even men- face. She used her own hair troubles as jumping off points to research and experiment what gives us good, or bad, hair! For example, the acidity of shampoo, and the detergent in it, is what makes hair beautiful and shiny. Alkali solutions and plain soap make hair dull, rough and unhealthy. A good alternative for no shampoo... lemon juice or vinegar! And to be honest, just because a shampoo foams really well, doesn't mean it works any better. The foaming agent is only added because many Americans associate foaming with more cleaning power! If you have lank, stiff hair and want some body, don't use conditioner! It weighs down the hair! Of course, conditioner is important very once in a while because it helps "heal" hair (hair is only dead cells, so it can't actually heal) by coating it, a if it were replacing parts of the hair's cuticle. There really is a lot of biology and chemistry involved in having good hair! Who knew?!

THATS SO COOL!! Who would've known that lemon juice or vinegar could help ur hair! I kinda wanna try it now...maybe...

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm

tweetywizard wrote: I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball. How hard a softball hits a surface and also how when a girl throws a softball and it slowly rises. I think it is so cool that a girls pitch can break gravity and slowly increase in the hieght. But i think they should have tested a girl trying to hit a baseball, because who knows, she may not be able to hit a baseball. That can be used for a new experiment. Smile

I agree with you that they definitely should have used a girl to hit the baseball because that is a source of error that they used a boy. I also wouldn't nt have thought that the soft ball would be harder to hit but I think that the way they set up the experiment was not totally accurate.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 am

Flipper wrote:I thought this video was very interesting but i disagreed with the baseball player hitting both balls. I think if they were going to do it that way the should have also had a softball player hit both balls also. The baseball player is trained to hit baseballs so to me it isnt accurate data.

That is a very good point. I had not thought of that. It counts as a source of error in the experiment. If a softball player was hitting the softball, I believe that the results could have been different. Oh! That could be formed into a new hypothesis! Very Happy bounce

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

tweetywizard wrote: I would have never thought that it would be harder to hit a softball than to hit a baseball.

The results surprised me as well. I would have guessed or "hypothesized" (Wink) saying that a baseball was harder to hit. I believe that the scientists should have tried a form of the experiment that called for Jennie to pitch a baseball and see if the results were the same.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top