3rd Hour - Voices of Concern

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - Voices of Concern

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

After reading Lester Brown's Voices of Concern, reflect on the interview and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. It is estimated that by 2050, the Earth will have almost 9 billion people. It currently has 6.7 billion people. Do you think the Earth can support 9 billion people? What does Lester Brown think? When will the world reach its carrying capacity & how will we know when we have reached it?

2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, December 1 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, December 3 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - Voices of Concern

Post  gamerdude94 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:00 pm

I think the earth will reach 9 billion by 2050. I do not think it can support 9 billion people however. The earth can barely provide any food or water as of now. There are enough problems with lack of availability to people in africa. Lester Brown thinks the carrying capacity could be 10 billion but only if resources were shared equally. I think we will know if we have reached the carrying capacity when millions of people die every month of hunger and disease opposed to now.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gahhhh

Post  Hollywood on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:27 pm

I don't think that the Earth can support 9 billion people. The only way the Earth could hold that big of a population is if the entire world begins to consume food like India and that probably wont happen. There is no possible way we can hold that many people. We are already in danger of the decrease of resources with our current population so an increase in pop. will only make it worse.

Hollywood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9 BILLION = Yes

Post  Richiee12 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I honestly do believe that the Earth can support 9 billion people if its distributed accordingly. Its obvious that little countries can always grow and expand. But in places like Africa where diseases are HIGH, the population doesn't need to increase until those diseases are cured or aided. The U.S. always has room for expansion, and so does Canada, and South America. There's many places to add more people just make sure their in a place thats nutrient rich and can support the people, therefore Africa and other third world countries would not be a good idea for population increase.
Brown says it depends on what standard of living you're talking about. If we're talking about living at food-consumption levels today of the average person in India, then the current world harvest can support 10 billion people. But if we're talking about the U.S. level of consumption, then we're talking about a world that will support two and a half billion people. Lester Brown obviously believes the Earth can hold 10 billion people, but the only way that can be possible is if we distribute our resources equally and use them wisely instead of just using them because they're THERE.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We as the Older Siblings...

Post  penguin94 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Admin wrote:2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I think that the technology we have now should be expanded and used to solve this "population problem". it is not ethical for us to just stand aside and watch as havoc is wreaked upon our fellow man when we have the resources they need to survive. i think that each country in the world should put aside their diffences and realize that we are all humans and all have the same problems in the world. i think that each country's government should encourage their populous to eat and use less and give the excess to programs that benefit other countries. it is not ethical to just "stand to the side and watch" as other people, people who have friends and families, jobs and careers, hopes, dreams, and feelings...just die from malnutrician and disease. especially when we have in excess those things that they are so desperately in need of. for all we know, we could be "killing of" the boy who has the cure to cancer or AIDS and the successful plan to stop harmful global warming. we could be ruining the life of the girl that will create new ways to purify salt water and create new sources of energy. we need to step in and be the "older siblings" and give up that which we have to make our "younger siblings" happier. we need to set the example.

Last edited by penguin94 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just because :))

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reach for the stars! Or not!

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 pm

I think that we should develope technology to extend our carrying capacity of earth. This would be a benefit to all mankind if we can cooperate with eachother long enough to do it. It would rid the world of diseases and increase the world's food supply. However, I don't know if the technology would be spread evenly. Countries might hog it all to themselves or start wars over it. Also, even if we can increase the earth's human carrying capacity, we will reach our limit sometime. Mankind may even overpopulate so much that mother nature might not be able to step in with limiting factors. We are going to have to find new ways to live. We might end up like the Jetsons or those futuristic 100 floor apartments with flying cars everywhere. we might even end up in space or living on Mars. Even still, I think that for now mankind should do what it does best, which is making the world healthier and smarter. Laughing

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I think technology would work.

Post  violinist13 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I think we should use technology because it will help us make more supplies but this wont help out a lot if we are going to live longer. We need as the United States of America to cut back on how much supplies we waste. We use to much supplies. We use most of them and if we keep using this much and wasting this much we will run out of supplies. So technology will help but soon it will not be worth any help if us the U.S keep wasting and using so much of Earths supplies. Exclamation

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9 billion . ? IMPOSSIBLE . !

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 pm

1. It is estimated that by 2050, the Earth will have almost 9 billion people. It currently has 6.7 billion people. Do you think the Earth can support 9 billion people? What does Lester Brown think? When will the world reach its carrying capacity & how will we know when we have reached it?

I do not think that Earth can support 9 billion people because of the limit to supplies. We barely have enough supplies to go around ourselves and there are one to many countries out suffering. Lester Brown thinks it would be possible for Earth to hold 9 billion people if we limit the amount of times we eat a day, like India. There's no telling when we will meet capacity but it is kind of close. We know we have reached when the death rate is the same as the birth rate. No

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Earth Human Living Capacity

Post  NorthStar on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:40 pm

I think that the earth can support probably a larger number than 9 billion people if resource were managed accourdately to each country needs by the population number of your country. Lester Brown thinks that our earth can only support only 10 billion people on earth with is a way larger number than 9 billion but, do we really want to get to the earth actual living compacity for human on earth. I dont think so !!!!!! All it would cause is more food shortages around the world and food price would rise sky rocket. Causing water and food crisis around the world create war between many countries world wide.

NorthStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 pm

I personally do not think the earth can support 9 billion people. The earth is already over populated. The problem is that people are wasteful. If everyone used things wisely, we would be able to support many more people. Unfortunately people don't know how to conserve food and water. I think Lester brown would agree that we should not be so wasteful or have kids if we dont really want them.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 pm

I agree with Lester Brown and his answer to whether or not the Earth can support 9 billion people. He thinks that this may be possible only if the people in the world are willing to change their consumption habits. We are using up the Earth's resources too quickly and if we want to support more people, everyone will have to consume less, especially those in developed and flourishing parts of the world. The world will reach its carrying capacity when ALL resources are decreasing in number and availability to ALL parts of the world (not just the developing ones). We will know when we reach it because EVERYONE will be suffering.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lets make this quick shall we

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 pm

[quote="Admin"]After reading Lester Brown's Voices of Concern, reflect on the interview and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

2. Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I think that honestly we should let mother earth limit things naturally. If humans step in it may be too risky. We could inevitably cause a problem far worse than that of the earths population capacity. Atleast when mother earth fixes things it doesn't cause a big problem and the problems it may cause naturally fix themselves over time. My stance on this is more of an ethical thing because if we try to go against nature and keep all those people alive to increase the population then it won't matter because everyone would become impoverished and die off from over population and the lack of natural resources needed to keep humans alive and healthy. Some sacrifices need to be made.

timmy buck buck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

tech help?

Post  RylesTuesday on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

I think we should definitely extend technology to help the issue of over population of the earth. I think technology has come a long way all over the world and if we are able to advance to that level of speeding the process of making food or curing deadly diseases then we wouldn't have to resort to mother earth's limitations for population growth. I think by not at least trying to advance technology to help and also help think of other ways to keep everyone on the earth healthy then it is kind of unethical because it's like you're just letting people die and one day it could be you. With the prediction of the population being 9 billion in 2050 and earth not being able to support that massive amount, no one should be in their right mind to be selfish and not to help. I think that the world technological advancements can reach the level of food growth support, to keep everyone alive and to cure spreading deathly diseases. If we cannot, I don't think there is hope for the world because the earth cannot support 9 billion people. With the statistic of 6,000 Africans dying a day I think the world is already in trouble with supporting everyone.

RylesTuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Hollywood wrote:I don't think that the Earth can support 9 billion people. The only way the Earth could hold that big of a population is if the entire world begins to consume food like India and that probably wont happen. There is no possible way we can hold that many people. We are already in danger of the decrease of resources with our current population so an increase in pop. will only make it worse.

I agree with you. I dont think that with all of the problems we currently face that we can support 9 billion people and countless other problems.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 pm

violinist13 wrote:Should we use technology to extend the carrying capacity of the Earth (ie. use technology to grow more food, keep people alive longer, cure disease, etc.) or should we allow Mother Nature's limiting factors do their job to limit population growth? What are the moral and ethical implications of your stance on this issue?

I think we should use technology because it will help us make more supplies but this wont help out a lot if we are going to live longer. We need as the United States of America to cut back on how much supplies we waste. We use to much supplies. We use most of them and if we keep using this much and wasting this much we will run out of supplies. So technology will help but soon it will not be worth any help if us the U.S keep wasting and using so much of Earths supplies. Exclamation

I agree with you but I dont think americans would give up their luxuriant lives for people they dont know. I recently read an article on Yahoo about a proposed ban on certain showers. These showers waste 10,000 gallons of water a minute. People were up in arms about it. I think that if people wont give up a certain type of shower they definitley wont give up food.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

actually...

Post  penguin94 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:1. It is estimated that by 2050, the Earth will have almost 9 billion people. It currently has 6.7 billion people. Do you think the Earth can support 9 billion people? What does Lester Brown think? When will the world reach its carrying capacity & how will we know when we have reached it?

I do not think that Earth can support 9 billion people because of the limit to supplies. We barely have enough supplies to go around ourselves and there are one to many countries out suffering. Lester Brown thinks it would be possible for Earth to hold 9 billion people if we limit the amount of times we eat a day, like India. There's no telling when we will meet capacity but it is kind of close. We know we have reached when the death rate is the same as the birth rate. No
actually, we do have most if not all of the resources. we are just using them in excess, but yes if we cut back on how much of those resources we use, we may be able to reach a population of 9 billion. i just wonder what will happen when we do finally reach that stage...

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

this is hard.

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Personally, I believe we should let Mother Nature do some of her natural talents, but only in some instances. The people in Africa have the highest growth rate...I do not think we should let them get killed off by mother nature, I think we should educate them and let them inquire about contraceptives to help the population growth. I do not think it is fair for them to die because they aren't messing up the Earth... it is us! And we should be the ones suffering the consequences! .This might sound crazy but maybe we should stop wars...that could help with the population because then we won't have soldiers going away and then coming back, which causes the population to skyrocket.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 am

NorthStar wrote:1. It is estimated that by 2050, the Earth will have almost 9 billion people. It currently has 6.7 billion people. Do you think the Earth can support 9 billion people? What does Lester Brown think? When will the world reach its carrying capacity & how will we know when we have reached it?
I think that the earth can support probably a larger number than 9 billion people if resource were managed accourdately to each country needs by the population number of your country. Lester Brown thinks that our earth can only support only 10 billion people on earth with is a way larger number than 9 billion but, do we really want to get to the earth actual living compacity for human on earth. I dont think so !!!!!! All it would cause is more food shortages around the world and food price would rise sky rocket. Causing water and food crisis around the world create war between many countries world wide.

I agree that we should not reach our carrying capacity. Humans are selfish and we all want the most for ourselves which means each person uses a lot of stuff. We are very wasteful so it would be a very bad idea to add so many more people. If we had 10 billion people everyone would would become animalistic. We would fight for things did ourselves. The simple solution is to be less wasteful and to not have kids unless we really want them.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:54 am

Suga-Mama wrote:I think that we should develope technology to extend our carrying capacity of earth. This would be a benefit to all mankind if we can cooperate with eachother long enough to do it. It would rid the world of diseases and increase the world's food supply.

This is a great idea the only thing is trying to get everyone to cooperate. Not everyone on Earth gets along or will get along with each other. There's always going to be that one or two people that just has to be the outcast.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 am

Siillee-Differenter wrote: Lester Brown thinks it would be possible for Earth to hold 9 billion people if we limit the amount of times we eat a day, like India. There's no telling when we will meet capacity but it is kind of close. We know we have reached when the death rate is the same as the birth rate. No

While they may be able to limit the amount of times they eat a day in India, the United States would fail. We are apart of the worlds population and seeing that we're one of the fattest countries so limiting the amount of times we eat a day would be a hard task for MOST of us. And not just us but other fatty countries like Mexico, Dominica, Egypt and UK would have a hard time accomplishing this goal. So maybe just maybe the Earth wont be able to hold 9 billion people because limiting supplies is nearly impossible and not accomplishable.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 am

calientelabios234 wrote:The people in Africa have the highest growth rate...I do not think we should let them get killed off by mother nature, I think we should educate them and let them inquire about contraceptives to help the population growth. I do not think it is fair for them to die because they aren't messing up the Earth... it is us! And we should be the ones suffering the consequences!

I agree. Not only should we educate the people in Africa about population growth, we can also cut down on resources that we are hogging so that the people can be better supported. If we are able to do that, then maybe the population growth would not be as harmful as we think.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Hollywood wrote:I don't think that the Earth can support 9 billion people. The only way the Earth could hold that big of a population is if the entire world begins to consume food like India and that probably wont happen. There is no possible way we can hold that many people. We are already in danger of the decrease of resources with our current population so an increase in pop. will only make it worse.

I believe that there is a possibility we could consume less and better preserve our resources. It will just take a lot of work in a short amount of time. If the people in this world will actually get out of their selfish ways, it could happen.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:19 pm

#AGREEed ! We probably couldnt make that transition because it would take to much time to switch to a change. Though it would be best, the majority of the people, especially in the US, would complain and refuse to go through with that. Its looking like India is going to be the only ones consuming food until its all gone.

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATTENTION 3RD HOUR

Post  Love_Muffins on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm

ATTENTION 3RD HOUR:
5TH HOUR IS THA ISH....
THAT IS ALL
cheers

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:42 pm

RylesTuesday wrote:I think we should definitely extend technology to help the issue of over population of the earth. I think technology has come a long way all over the world and if we are able to advance to that level of speeding the process of making food or curing deadly diseases then we wouldn't have to resort to mother earth's limitations for population growth.

I disagree with using the idea of technology. Yes it would help issues that we have to save people's liives, but i think saving to many would increase the chances of over capacity.

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top