3rd Hour - China's Population

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm


After watching China's Lost Girls, reflect on the video and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, November 17 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, November 19 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  iluvowls on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I think it is a good idea to limit the amount of children people can have in China considering it is so overpopulated. I think it is ridiculous, however to abort or abandon baby girls so that names can be passed on. Do these people have no idea that women are needed for that to even happen in the first place?I can understand wanting to have the name passed on but i think these people are taking it a little too seriously. It's not that big of a deal. I do think it is ethical for the Chinese government to tax people for having more than one kid because it is just too overpopulated. If nothing were done about it then there would be way too many people. At least they are not killing the kids after they are born. The government could solve the problem even better by offering free birth control or surgeries to keep people from reproducing after one child.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I think China's solution to their population problem is slightly justified only in the fact that they are trying to lessen the amount of children born in a family. There is definitely an overabundance of people in China that may lead to other problems such as shortages in food and other necessary items to survive. China is not justified, however, in killing or abandoning the babies that they do not want. These babies tend to be the females. It is totally unethical and morally wrong. It has led to families feeling as if they must have a boy in order to be functional and they will do anything possible to get that baby boy. It has also led to an overabundance of males in the Chinese population compared to the females. These males seem to have turned to forming gangs and resorting to violence to take up their time. The Chinese can fix these problems by giving females more voices and power in society so that families will then feel more obligated to keep their baby girls. This will eventually resort in equal numbers in the population. I love you Wink

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Flipper on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:13 am

I feel that the solution to the population problem in China is not the right way to approach the problem. It think there should be a limit on the amount of children one can have and if the have more than the limit you could charge them a fee. I dont like the fact these babies are being treated the way they are. It is understandable to see where the chinese are coming from but it it is still selfish and wrong. There has to be a better way.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:19 pm

I think china's solution to solving the population problem is irrational. You can limit the amount of children someone can have but they might do like most people do and abandon baby girls. The families only want to have boys so they will only keep the boys. Therefore the population will keep growing regardless. China needs to inform people like the doctors did in the video that girls are as equal as boys. This might help solve the problem of overpopulation.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wow This is why american boys are taught to treat girls with respect.

Post  violinist13 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm

What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?
Think China's population solution is outrageous and that girls are more important than guys. I do not think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and to punish them for not following those guidelines. I think this because women attach to their children and do not want to let them go. I do not think its fair for the person to give up a child that they gave birth too. This is a wrong thing those people are just following their natural instinct and it is not up to them how many children they have. It is up to mother nature. The Chinese government is going to kill off their race in a matter of time if they do not stop this and allow people to have more than one kid and even girls without punishment. Hopefully the government is seeing that their population is decreasing by significant amount.

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unethical

Post  Richiee12 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:32 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

China's population solution is considered unethical in my eyes and even unjustifiable. A government shouldn't be able to mandate how many children a person can have. If somebody wants 15 kids, let them have them. All that matters is that they're taking care of them and providing them with a roof over their head. You can't punish no one for not following guidelines of limiting the amount of kids they have. You can't make somebody give up there daughter because you don't want them to have one. It's not like one can choose what gender their offspring will be. Some people may only want girls, while others may only want one girl. Some people wait all their life to have a baby girl. It honestly hurts someone to see them have to give up their daughter.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ridiciulous

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

I think that China’s population is ridiculous. That is one crazy law about having one child and that is wrong that only the boy can carry on that family name and not a girls would leave their family. But because it is a law they have to follow it but I wouldn’t blame someone for hiding a child or keeping a child even without paying their money. I just know that I wouldn’t be able to live there.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:I think china's solution to solving the population problem is irrational. You can limit the amount of children someone can have but they might do like most people do and abandon baby girls. The families only want to have boys so they will only keep the boys. Therefore the population will keep growing regardless. China needs to inform people like the doctors did in the video that girls are as equal as boys. This might help solve the problem of overpopulation.


your right girls are equal to boys and if they dont keep their girls what will the boys growing up do... they wouldnt have a mate to mate with lhh talking as if they were animals

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Flipper wrote:I feel that the solution to the population problem in China is not the right way to approach the problem. It think there should be a limit on the amount of children one can have and if the have more than the limit you could charge them a fee. I dont like the fact these babies are being treated the way they are. It is understandable to see where the chinese are coming from but it it is still selfish and wrong. There has to be a better way.


there is a better way they just havent thought of it yet they still havent got that the population is still growing and that there are more men than women

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Too Cute To Be Abandoned!

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

China's population solution is an okay idea with me but the social issues it's begining to cause is ridiculous. Limiting to a certain number of kids isnt a big iisue, the issue is the fact that families are basing it all on GENDER. I think that is real unfair. The families shoudn't get punished for having to many kids. There should be a punishment for abandoning, killing, and disowning baby girls or just babies period. I understand how the culture believes the man has more strength an power, but disowning the girl shouldn't be an option because who knows how far the she could get wen she gets older. I think this is a sort of discrimination and it needs to be controled. No

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Yofeetstink on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 pm

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think the china's population solution is not good at all. I believe it will cause a huge social problem in the future. A lot of people want only boys so they are giving up their girls or even getting them killed. As a result of this there are going to be a lot of men in the future outnumbering all of the girls so then there wont be enough females for all of the men. If that happens then we will see a lot of raping and kidnapping of females as we saw in the video. China can at least increase the number of kids a couple can have to 2 so that this social crisis will not occur because then if you have a girl then you can still have a boy.

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sad Sad Sad...:(

Post  tweetywizard on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 pm

The movie we watched was ver emotional and it made me happy and sad at the same time. To see all the kids and only see like 4 girls is sad because they don't think that girls mean anything in china. And all the girls who are abandon makes me so sad. When i grow up i am going to adoopt two of the abandoned girls from China. I DO NOT liike the solution that China came up with to control the population in their country. I do not think that a government should be able to tell people how many kids they can have and punish them for having more than what they said because peopole have their own lives so they should be able to make their own decisions. I love you

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That is Ridiculous

Post  Suga-Mama on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 am

I say that is reasonable for the Chinese government to try and enforce a set limit on how may kids a family can have, considering the fact that they are excessivly over-crowded. However, I do not believe it is ethical to discriminate against baby girls. The girls have just as much potential as the boys, and it is not fair of people to judge. They say that the boys are the ones who carry on the family name and bring wealth to the family, but they don't give girls or grown women a chance to make something of their lives in the first place. Regardless of gender, all children should be given a chance to bring honor and wealth to their family. Also, with the massive shortage of women in chinese society, more violence and tension is being increased between men over women. It is ridiculous that so many men should have to fight one over women, or start to kidnap women just to have a wife. The chinese government should have seen this coming earlier. The people need to start reconsidering their obsession with boys in there culture and start giving women and baby girls a higher position in their culture.

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

China and their Population

Post  heyitssharkweek on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am

Personally, I think China is just trying to do their best. With a population growth as exponential as theirs, and a cultural idea (about the roles of men and women) so ingrained into society as theirs, it is very difficult to make a difference without such extreme measures. Of course, the solution is not ideal, but we do not live in a perfect world. With the large discrepancy between number of men and women, life for the next generation of Chinese men will be difficult. Men and boys are already turning to gangs and violence. There will not be enough women to marry and actually have children. An unfortunate positive is that because of this lack of women, there will be less marriages and therefore a smaller number of offspring, as long as they also only have one child. As we all know, the restriction has led to infanticide and abandoning children which is a very troubling and disheartening consequence. Personally I think there are a few things China can do, or continue to do, to solve their social problems. They should offer free birth control and cheap or free sterilization surgeries for men and women. Also, the Chinese government needs to promote women's roles in society. They need to show that Chinese women can be and are valuable to society. A final idea I have is for China to begin programs in China and possibly in conjunction with other countries. Girls could be sent to these programs, raised by families, taught Chinese culture, ideas, language, job skills, etc., and sent back (by choice) to China to help make up for the missing generation of females. It is not an ideal solution either, but it is a possibility. China is a very productive country. It has the potential to become even greater than it is now, but with a regressive attitude toward women and a missing generation of females, life will be even more difficult for the Chinese people.

heyitssharkweek

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 am

Personally I do not think i was right for China's government to just mandate how any kids someone can have because, first it is an invasion of the human rights to have kids!! Because most people would like to enjoy both genders as kids... I think they should change it because the risint numbers of boys can cause some serious issues. Unless they would like to have violence everywhere they should take away that law!

calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is Absurd

Post  krazedxasylum on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 pm

What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

This is a complete outrage that China's government would mandate how many children one can have. How is this in anyway morally correct? the body is not made o always have one child. there is something known as wins which can occur. So i don't think hat by having more than one child, you should be punished. Also, i don't think i is acceptable that it is seen that only boys are worth having. To have a child, you must have a man and women, and to only want one to be born has cause serious societal issues. China needs to rethink its priorities because mandating how many children you can have and being punished by not following those guidelines is very wrong.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  iluvowls on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:

I think that is real unfair. The families shoudn't get punished for having to many kids. There should be a punishment for abandoning, killing, and disowning baby girls or just babies period. No



I agree that families should get punished for abandoning the babies but I disagree that families should have no taxes to pay for having more than one child. The country is just too overpopulated and taxing people is the most humane way to stop the problem. Obviously this won't work if people don't want their girls which is ridiculous. I do think it is good though that women are not allowed to know the gender of the baby before birth. I do think that the Chinese government has good solutions but they need more.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ethical??

Post  penguin94 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Admin wrote:
1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

I think that at times, it is ethical for the government to "step in" and retain balance, but the constant pressure of the government always being there is too much for society to handle. I think that the Chinese government could have handled the situation better. I think that a reasonable number of kids is two. That way, the child will have a playmate and there will be a better chance of having one child of a different sex. This would most likely solve the "all male" problem currently going on in China. I understand that China is a Communist country and that they believe in the good of the state. Well, if they want the country to succeed, then they should adopt, or encourage people to adopt, or provide homes for those baby girls that are being abandoned. There would be less violence and less chance of rebellion. Not that I am partial to Communism or anything...

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote: China's population solution is an okay idea with me but the social issues it's begining to cause is ridiculous. Limiting to a certain number of kids isnt a big iisue, the issue is the fact that families are basing it all on GENDER. I think that is real unfair.

I agree. Families should be happy with a baby no matter what its gender and the babies definitely should not be punished because of it. That is something over which they have no control.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:54 pm

calientelabios234 wrote:Personally I do not think i was right for China's government to just mandate how any kids someone can have because, first it is an invasion of the human rights to have kids!!!

I have to disagree with your statement. China already has A HUGE population. Something had to be done to control the amount of people there. It seems as if this was actually the most humane way to do it.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:28 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:I think China's solution to their population problem is slightly justified only in the fact that they are trying to lessen the amount of children born in a family. There is definitely an overabundance of people in China that may lead to other problems such as shortages in food and other necessary items to survive. China is not justified, however, in killing or abandoning the babies that they do not want. These babies tend to be the females. It is totally unethical and morally wrong. It has led to families feeling as if they must have a boy in order to be functional and they will do anything possible to get that baby boy. It has also led to an overabundance of males in the Chinese population compared to the females. These males seem to have turned to forming gangs and resorting to violence to take up their time. The Chinese can fix these problems by giving females more voices and power in society so that families will then feel more obligated to keep their baby girls. This will eventually resort in equal numbers in the population. I love you Wink

I see where you are coming from and i agree with you if women were given more power in society then families probably would not be so upset about having a girl. Although some families have boys because they want their name to live on and females do not carry on their last name when married so that reason would still stay but giving females more authority would help it out.

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm

calientelabios234 wrote:Personally I do not think it was right for China's government to just mandate how any kids someone can have because, first it is an invasion of the human rights to have kids!! Because most people would like to enjoy both genders as kids... I think they should change it because the rising numbers of boys can cause some serious issues. Unless they would like to have violence everywhere they should take away that law!

I agree with you God send be fruitful and multiply but they are being restricted on that part. China does need to control their population somehow though so i think the law should be kept but it should at least be increased to two so if you have a girl you can still try for a boy if you want.

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  iluvowls on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:I think China's solution to their population problem is slightly justified only in the fact that they are trying to lessen the amount of children born in a family. There is definitely an overabundance of people in China that may lead to other problems such as shortages in food and other necessary items to survive. China is not justified, however, in killing or abandoning the babies that they do not want. These babies tend to be the females. It is totally unethical and morally wrong. It has led to families feeling as if they must have a boy in order to be functional and they will do anything possible to get that baby boy. It has also led to an overabundance of males in the Chinese population compared to the females. These males seem to have turned to forming gangs and resorting to violence to take up their time. The Chinese can fix these problems by giving females more voices and power in society so that families will then feel more obligated to keep their baby girls. This will eventually resort in equal numbers in the population. I love you Wink




I totally agree with you. It is necessary for china to have limits on the amount of kid born. It is not right for people to abandon girls. Those girls are going to be needed in later generations. As far as men not having women, it also means that they will be unhappy. I think that the whole idea of people bot wanting girls may eventually lead to a decline in the population of young people in the future in china.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

haha :D

Post  penguin94 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

violinist13 wrote:What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?
Think China's population solution is outrageous and that girls are more important than guys. I do not think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and to punish them for not following those guidelines. I think this because women attach to their children and do not want to let them go. I do not think its fair for the person to give up a child that they gave birth too. This is a wrong thing those people are just following their natural instinct and it is not up to them how many children they have. It is up to mother nature. The Chinese government is going to kill off their race in a matter of time if they do not stop this and allow people to have more than one kid and even girls without punishment. Hopefully the government is seeing that their population is decreasing by significant amount.
YES!! WE GIRLS RULE THE WORLD! HAHA! lol! just kidding! but ya it is definately not right for them to restrict the amount or gender of children you have. the chinese government needs to find some other way

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:44 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum