5th Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Admin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am

Visit the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena's (ASSAP) websie at http://www.assap.org/index.html . Feel free to browse the site, but be sure to check out information about orbs http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Orbs%20centre.html and cold spots http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Cold%20spots.html . Also check out why the ASSAP believes it is important to use science in explaining the paranormal http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Scientific%20study.html .

After visiting the website, reflect on the website and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

2. 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, November 3 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, November 5 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Vanessa is over my house.....creepin

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:00 pm

1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Before visiting this site i did kind of believed in ghost but not for sure. this site left me at the same stance that i was before like it actually kind of made me thnink there werent a such thing as ghost since it said on the sight that there was no correct way in measuring the temperature of a cold spot. and science plays a role on paranormal studies because scientist have a better grasp on how to measure the freqeucy of such things like sounds and stuff....also with science its hard to disprove sciece facts sooo yeah......

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Amani is a fat RAT!!!

Post  Love_Muffins on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Before i visited these sites i kind of believed in ghost but not to much. After i visited i believe in them a little least. I now think that there's a reasonable cause of everything that happen. There's no proof of ghost. It plays a role because it disproof any thing i believed in before...

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Before visiting this site I already believed in the paranormal . After reading over the site i do realize that some things are just in your mind and alot of things have explanaitions. But NOT EVERYTHING . Also for UFO's i think they do exist. We probably arn't the only ones in the universe and just like we explore and visit other planets they may do it too. But i do still believ in the paranormal based on the experiences me and people i know have had. affraid

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Before i visited these sites i kind of believed in ghost but not to much. After i visited i believe in them a little least. I now think that there's a reasonable cause of everything that happen. There's no proof of ghost. It plays a role because it disproof any thing i believed in before...

You're right that most things have an explaination , But not eveything. there migh not be any proof that ghosts exist but theres not anything proving that they don't exist either. cat

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Before visiting this site i did kind of believed in ghost but not for sure. this site left me at the same stance that i was before like it actually kind of made me thnink there werent a such thing as ghost since it said on the sight that there was no correct way in measuring the temperature of a cold spot. and science plays a role on paranormal studies because scientist have a better grasp on how to measure the freqeucy of such things like sounds and stuff....also with science its hard to disprove sciece facts sooo yeah......

I feel the same as i dd before viewing the site also. But i just keep thinking about our first response we had to do with the moon hoax and how each video was made to sway you one way or another. So im still kind of Question Question Question

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Before I visited the websites, I kind of believe in the paranormal activity. I love watching Ghost Hunters, so thats the reason why I kind of believe. After visiting the websites, some of the things are true. Some people feel cold in certian places like their home or at the store, but are those palces haunted? Not likey...and the orbs, my mom gets them in her pictures all the time always saying "there are spirits here with us" Its true, some people can see spirits in their head and think that they are actually seeing them in front of them. After visiting the websites, I still kind of believe in the paranormal activity

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hmmmmm... (put on intelligent mask)

Post  earthycolors on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I've always believed in the paranormal and actual paranormal... ahem... activity, but I also always knew that there are fakes and liars out there that try to fool the public. I can be a skeptic sometimes but I rarely disbelieve paranormal happenings (especially on bio). Science did sway me a little bit on this stance of mine on the situation. For instance, It never really occurred to me that somebody could just get chills in their body suddenly that is irrelevant to their exact location, and I didn't know that only 40 percent of scientist believe in the paranormal such as ghosts and spirits. But overall, I am barely moved at all by these articles. I still believed in everything I did before, nothing more, nothing less. Idea
afro

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

para-normal. para-site. para-para?

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

I've never believed in ghosts. i've wondered about spirits? but i dont count them as the same thing. my belief hasnt changed at all on the subject. there obvisously is no way to test to see if there is a ghostly/spiritual presence around. sure something can be colder or warmer, but when i swim there are always places in the pool that once you swim over them you instantly get a chill and once you pass that spot you're totally fine. science has stayed the same in my mind on this subject.

Like a Star @ heaven Suspect [I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH!] Suspect Like a Star @ heaven
such a weird song... /:

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Love_Muffins on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

I've never believed in ghosts. i've wondered about spirits? but i dont count them as the same thing. my belief hasnt changed at all on the subject. there obvisously is no way to test to see if there is a ghostly/spiritual presence around. sure something can be colder or warmer, but when i swim there are always places in the pool that once you swim over them you instantly get a chill and once you pass that spot you're totally fine. science has stayed the same in my mind on this subject.

Like a Star @ heaven Suspect [I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH!] Suspect Like a Star @ heaven
such a weird song... /:

I still kind of believe that there some unexplained things but I still don't know what to believe...

P.s. I kinda like that song but I think she's kinda growing up too fast...

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 pm

I still believe in ghost nothing has changed. I have always believed in things like that. I like the idea of ghost . They are real to me. When i was five yrs. old i saw a man with a yellow t-shirt and blue-jean bibs on looking at me from our hallway. I was so scared I acted like i did not see him.I told my grandma about it what I had seen. She told me about the mother and son that lived there before us. He was looking for his mother that he did not know passed away while he was gone. That is the first reason i believe. Never heard of the man until my granny said something. Kinda creepy to see when your five. With age the seeing of or just knowing that my dad (passed away) is right next to me is comforting. I wake up at 3:30-4:00am for some reason now i know the reason is because that is the time he actually died. UFO's i do not believe that subject i never cared about. Science has not changed my beliefs. I enjoyed this subject Exclamation

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Before visiting this site i did kind of believed in ghost but not for sure. this site left me at the same stance that i was before like it actually kind of made me thnink there werent a such thing as ghost since it said on the sight that there was no correct way in measuring the temperature of a cold spot. and science plays a role on paranormal studies because scientist have a better grasp on how to measure the freqeucy of such things like sounds and stuff....also with
science its hard to disprove sciece facts sooo yeah......

True and I completely agree with you. I still feel the same way before and after I visited the websites, that I still kinda believe in the paranormal

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Wanted A Video :(

Post  londylou on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Before I went here, I did believe in ghosts, and I still do. The website proved some points, but not enough to sway my opinion. Last year during winterguard practice some of my friends and I went inside the bathroom that the girl got murdered in (the janitors were cleaning bathrooms on all the floors and had left it unlocked) so we decided to go in. When we all got inside it was really really cold and creepy. Out of nowhere, the door closed and we all screamed and ran out. Maybe it was a draft, or maybe not. . .
Also, I know someone who personally has used a ouija board before years ago and to this day she doesnt like to share her story. You can read some of other people's ouija board stories online and see what they said. Oh yeah and science does not play any role in my current stance on paranormal activity. They want you to believe that there is no such thing as UFO's. . . I truly believe that there are. =)

-LondyLou

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The shortage of milk in Canada

Post  animalluver on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:24 pm

1. I've never believed in paranormal activity and this site only confirmed my doubts. People trick themselves into believing in ghosts and so when they hear a noise "O my god its totally a ghost." They see an orb "O my god, a spirit is right there." They feel a cold spot "O my god a ghost." What you need to do is get yourself a cat, buy a new camara, and wear a jacket. So there.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 am

animalluver wrote:1. I've never believed in paranormal activity and this site only confirmed my doubts. People trick themselves into believing in ghosts and so when they hear a noise "O my god its totally a ghost." They see an orb "O my god, a spirit is right there." They feel a cold spot "O my god a ghost." What you need to do is get yourself a cat, buy a new camara, and wear a jacket. So there.

I believe you with the cold spots. The cold spots can be different for everyone, people also get cold easily so they will think of cold spots some times in palces and they will think that the palce is haunted. My mom plays along with the orb thing all the time, she says " there are spirits here with us" all the time when orbs show up in her pictures and she gets kinda excited but I don't think that she believes though.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WOW

Post  Love_Muffins on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm

LittleMissSophie wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

I still believe in ghost nothing has changed. I have always believed in things like that. I like the idea of ghost . They are real to me. When i was five yrs. old i saw a man with a yellow t-shirt and blue-jean bibs on looking at me from our hallway. I was so scared I acted like i did not see him.I told my grandma about it what I had seen. She told me about the mother and son that lived there before us. He was looking for his mother that he did not know passed away while he was gone. That is the first reason i believe. Never heard of the man until my granny said something. Kinda creepy to see when your five. With age the seeing of or just knowing that my dad (passed away) is right next to me is comforting. I wake up at 3:30-4:00am for some reason now i know the reason is because that is the time he actually died. UFO's i do not believe that subject i never cared about. Science has not changed my beliefs. I enjoyed this subject Exclamation

Wow... Like yea. i kind of believe them, but unlike you i don't want to. Im a paranoid person and things like that make me even more crazy. that's why i couldn't use meth because who knows what would happen if i had no control over my body. lol but still i try to ignore the thing people say because it just makes me even more insane.

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

such a weird song... /:

I still kind of believe that there some unexplained things but I still don't know what to believe...

P.s. I kinda like that song but I think she's kinda growing up too fast...

right. exactly my point.

p.s. i know! i thought she was still a BABY!

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm

animalluver wrote:1. I've never believed in paranormal activity and this site only confirmed my doubts. People trick themselves into believing in ghosts and so when they hear a noise "O my god its totally a ghost." They see an orb "O my god, a spirit is right there." They feel a cold spot "O my god a ghost." What you need to do is get yourself a cat, buy a new camara, and wear a jacket. So there.

haha. you make a wonderous point! and your last sentence was hilarious! [:

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finally got the sites to work!

Post  20north_star12 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm

This website has in no way affected my belief in the paranormal. I have had far too many unexplainable events happen to me and my family. I personally believe that the best way to believe in something is through experience. Nothing can falter this. Science has always been an after thought to any experience I've had. I tried to recreate the events that would happen like toys randomly turning on. This started right after the birth of my youngest sister; the one after my mom's previous still-born. It was so strange. I thought maybe the toys were motion activated, but through many trials, I found they weren't. The toy that would repeatedly turn on was on that only did so by a switch. I would make sure it was off and it wouldn't affect it. It would still carry on as if it were being played with. I tried to use other scientific methods like seeing if there was a shortage, but there were other toys that would do it, too! As for UFOs, I believe that they exist because I believe there are other life forms in our universe.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Besides the whole "science" part, yeah, i thought the same way. the articles didn't really move me much at all. I still believe the same stuff, which is believing in ghosts and spirits. I still believe in paranormal activity and everything. I've heard and seen too many paranormal happenings to disbelieve now.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:34 pm

LittleMissSophie wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

I enjoyed the subject too. And that is a strange and a little scary story you shared there. And I too believe in ghosts, nothing has changed for me either. Science didn't sway me and it can't unless it proves something very convincing, which it hasn't yet.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:40 am

smiley11 wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Some people feel cold in certian places like their home or at the store, but are those palces haunted? Not likey...

I feel the same way. People may just be overreacting on some things

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 am

20north_star12 wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

This website has in no way affected my belief in the paranormal. I have had far too many unexplainable events happen to me and my family. I personally believe that the best way to believe in something is through experience. Nothing can falter this. Science has always been an after thought to any experience I've had.

It hasnt affected mine either and I totally agree about the experience thing

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:46 am

earthycolors wrote:
I've always believed in the paranormal and actual paranormal... ahem... activity, but I also always knew that there are fakes and liars out there that try to fool the public. I can be a skeptic sometimes but I rarely disbelieve paranormal happenings (especially on bio). Science did sway me a little bit on this stance of mine on the situation. For instance, It never really occurred to me that somebody could just get chills in their body suddenly that is irrelevant to their exact location, and I didn't know that only 40 percent of scientist believe in the paranormal such as ghosts and spirits. But overall, I am barely moved at all by these articles. I still believed in everything I did before, nothing more, nothing less. Idea
afro

you know its crazy because throughout me reading some of the replies i see that everyone thought the same like on how the site didnt really change the way they say paranomal activity at first (not the movie) lol but its like the people who control the website needs to update it because its doing nothing for its viewers obviously

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:49 am

awww little miss sophie whoever you are im giving you a web hug right now because that story really touched me and i just had to tell you and i know that this reply has nothing to really do with the topic but wow i would have been scared if i were you also lol

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top