3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Admin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am

Visit the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena's (ASSAP) websie at http://www.assap.org/index.html . Feel free to browse the site, but be sure to check out information about orbs http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Orbs%20centre.html and cold spots http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Cold%20spots.html . Also check out why the ASSAP believes it is important to use science in explaining the paranormal http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Scientific%20study.html .

After visiting the website, reflect on the website and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

2. 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, November 3 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, November 5 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

I belive in paranormal activity and I don't think it will change...

Post  tweetywizard on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:48 pm

The website really gave me a better understanding what happens to me sometimes. The cold spots were explained and now i really think that it was just my grandmother watching over me while i was at home alone. I never met her but when i feel the cold spots I don't get scared, I feel more comfortable when I am alone. I am a scary person but i believe that every little thing that happens like cold spots or UFO's are not a haunted ghost or something. I think to be able to feel and see these things you have to believe iin it. Rolling Eyes study

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

numero dos

Post  penguin94 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:04 pm

2. 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal
actually, yes this statistic did surprise me at first because i didnt know that paranormal activity could be considered as a part of science. it is in fact. the evidence of paranormal actvity can be experimented with and measured and in most cases, you can come to a conclusion in the end. its cool Smile


Last edited by penguin94 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : failure smiley)
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Richiee12 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Admin wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?


My belief in the paranormal was kind of weakened by this website. There really wasn't enough to support the evidence that I have. I do believe in the paranormal, because like most people I have experienced it. And even if a lot of this paranormal activity is faked, it can really convince someone to think that it occurred in real life. Belief in the paranormal is really based on who you are and whether or not you've experienced it or not. In the movie Paranormal Activity 2 Ali and Katie tried to explain to Dan that the house was haunted, but naturally Dan didn't believe the girls until it happened to him. It takes personal experience to understand the paranormal. Science is paranormal activity, studies are the way we find out the truth about the paranormal. Science helps us determine the meaning of some paranormal activity. In the movie Paranormal Activity 2, their house wasn't necessarily haunted, but the demons that was in their house only wanted the eldest son, which just happened to be the new born baby Hunter.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why Not Believe?

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 pm

There are too many things that science has yet to explain. That includes the paranormal, which is why I think that 40% of all science teachers still belive in it. Also, some people may have had a personal experience with a ghost or something. This experience may be another reason that some people still believe in the paranormal aswell. Also, scientists discovers something new everyday and one day maybe someone will prove that things in the paranormal do exist. It is perfectly possible to believe in the paranormal and still call yourself a scientist. Why not believe? I is not inconsistent in their field of study because science is all about discovery and proving the impossible to be possible. The fact that 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal does not surprise me at all. In fact, i'm surprised that more scientists don't believe in the paranormal. I personally believe that ghosts, or spirits, or whatever you want to call them exist because I am one of those people that has had an experience with one. Smile
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THE DEVIL IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  timmy buck buck on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:35 pm

1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Paranormal activity is a load of bull. Ive never seen it or do i believe in it. I only believe in angels and demons but not ghost. Science hasnt changed my view on it nor will it ever. I will believe in paranormal activity when I see it. No matter how much you try and prove it is real with science I will never believe in it.

avatar
timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Paranormal=load of crap

Post  calientelabios234 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 am

Before viewing the websites I do not believe in the paranormal. I believe once someone dies they either go to heaven or hell, I strongly doubt that people's souls just wander the earth haunting whoever they please. Now I do believe in angels and demons but ghosts are not real to me. I do look to science for answers on certain topics but paranormal activity is not one of them, so no it as no role in my beliefs or disbeliefs. Very Happy Shocked
avatar
calientelabios234

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spooky or Flooky?

Post  Flipper on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:37 am

40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

Science relies on nothing but facts and cold stone evidence. Im not suprised at all by the statistics shown here. If you have based your entire career off of facts and pieces of evidence you would not want to waste time beliving in something that MIGHT be real. The 40% that do belive in paranormal activity probably have more of an open mind and like to explore the possibilies of life beyond the physical world. Their field of study, in my opinion, still has a lot of flaws and a lot of unknown data. Science cannot explain the paranomal because science has not been fully explored because technology is not advanced enough.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Timmy Buck Buck.... Lets be reasonable

Post  Flipper on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:43 am

timmy buck buck wrote:
Paranormal activity is a load of bull. Ive never seen it or do i believe in it. I only believe in angels and demons but not ghost. Science hasnt changed my view on it nor will it ever. I will believe in paranormal activity when I see it. No matter how much you try and prove it is real with science I will never believe in it.

Well sir I think that statement is very apathetic on your behalf. You just basically said if it walks like a duck and quack likes a duck its a COW! If science can provide proof wouldnt that mean you would see them? I will always keep an open mind because theres is always more that can be prooved right or wrong. But you have your views and I have mine. Evil or Very Mad

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:52 am

The 40% statistic about science teachers believing in paranormal activity does not surprise me. The website even said that some people think the paranormal is something that goes beyond science and can not be explained by it. I do not believe it is inconsistent with their field of study either. Science teachers believe in using science to come to conclusions with the physical world. If the paranormal is not a part of that, then they are still supporting their beliefs. I do believe that some "paranormal activity" can be explained by science, meaning that some of the things people mistake for paranormal is really the wind or the effect of humidity in a room. However, not all of it can be explained. If science can not yet "read the sensory input and its interpretation inside the human mind", then how can it be used to say that all "paranormal activity" is not real? tongue Embarassed

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Paranormal Activty Fact or Fiction?

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm

The paranormal has always seemed like a legitimate thing to me. The website only proved this with their facts on orbs. Alot of things can shows up on cameras that would not show up to the human eye. I believe that there are paranormal forces and that humans can not see the exact forces behind such actions as doors closing, cold spots and orbs.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

paranormal...

Post  penguin94 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Richiee12 wrote:
Admin wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?


My belief in the paranormal was kind of weakened by this website. There really wasn't enough to support the evidence that I have. I do believe in the paranormal, because like most people I have experienced it. And even if a lot of this paranormal activity is faked, it can really convince someone to think that it occurred in real life. Belief in the paranormal is really based on who you are and whether or not you've experienced it or not. In the movie Paranormal Activity 2 Ali and Katie tried to explain to Dan that the house was haunted, but naturally Dan didn't believe the girls until it happened to him. It takes personal experience to understand the paranormal. Science is paranormal activity, studies are the way we find out the truth about the paranormal. Science helps us determine the meaning of some paranormal activity. In the movie Paranormal Activity 2, their house wasn't necessarily haunted, but the demons that was in their house only wanted the eldest son, which just happened to be the new born baby Hunter.
i have not seen Paranormal Activity nor am i ever going to, but i believe that there are some things that cannot be explained and that our minds give a meaning to them through ghosts and spirits. i do not believe in the paranormal, but i believe that our imaginations create it. It also is a very interesting and somewhat spooky topic and sometimes it sends chills down my spine, but i do not believe in ghosts or orbs, or demons. However, i do believe that at times, spirits do appear to people to comfort them and to keep them on the right path.
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm

2. 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

Yes this statistic suprises me alot. I never thought so many actual scientists who understand and know that nothing can support the parnomormal 100%. I think it is irrevelant to thier field off study because as the people who look into ghosts find evidence there are scientifific explanations for the. I wouldn't neccessarly put the paonaormal in the catgory of science though many things rely back to it.

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 pm

40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. This statistic definitely surprised me. his surprised me because you would think that from the scientific method, many scientist after using mathematics and a variety of experiments could figure out that many things seen as paranormal are just abstractions of the mind. facts show hat after a long time of believing its truth, the brain can believe a lie is the truth. This can be just one of the many lie people seen as truths, which is why a scientist believing in the paranormal goes against and is inconsistent with their field.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  iluvowls on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 pm

I personally do not believe in ghosts even after looking at this site. I think weird things happen but they are all in our heads.The pictures of the orbs and what people thought were cold spots did not convince me. I know that people have the technology to photo shop things and say that something was there just to see people's reactions. I also believe, considering that my mom works at a psych ward, that some people are not mentally stable so they think something is happening even though its not. I don't think that people's souls stay on Earth after they die.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I Do believe in Ghost

Post  violinist13 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 pm

40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot intertwine to explain the paranormal.

This statistic does not surprise me at all. This might be inconsistent but it is the only subject that can help explain paranormal activities. On the show Ghost Hunters they use many scientific devices like the thermal seeker that seeks all heat. They also use an Infrared camera that can see things that we can not see. These devices also help scientist find heat sources for chemicals and things that we can not see with our own eyes. I really do think science can go along with paranormal things. alien
avatar
violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Are Ghost Real

Post  NorthStar on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Question:
40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

This statistic really suprises me because it really inconsistent to their field of study scientist are suppose to support theroy with real logical scenctist these not much if any really scienticfic fact backing up the belief of paranormal. I don't think any really scientist should beleve in this until their is really logical proof .
avatar
NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  tweetywizard on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:56 am

penguin94 wrote: yes this statistic did surprise me at first because i didnt know that paranormal activity could be considered as a part of science.



I didn't know that paranormal was apart of science either. So now maybe we can use science to help figure out why paranormal activity is happening or who is making things happen. I agree with you on your comment.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  tweetywizard on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 am

NorthStar wrote:
I don't think any really scientist should beleve in this until their is really logical proof .

I have to disagree with you on what you said because i think that if someone is experiencing paranormal activity than they will believe in it. So if that person is a scientist then they will believe in it because the fact that it happened to them is their proof.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Couldn't have said it better myself

Post  Flipper on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

aMAIZEing94 wrote:The 40% statistic about science teachers believing in paranormal activity does not surprise me. The website even said that some people think the paranormal is something that goes beyond science and can not be explained by it. I do not believe it is inconsistent with their field of study either. Science teachers believe in using science to come to conclusions with the physical world. If the paranormal is not a part of that, then they are still supporting their beliefs. I do believe that some "paranormal activity" can be explained by science, meaning that some of the things people mistake for paranormal is really the wind or the effect of humidity in a room. However, not all of it can be explained. If science can not yet "read the sensory input and its interpretation inside the human mind", then how can it be used to say that all "paranormal activity" is not real? tongue Embarassed

I couldnt have said it better myself. I like the fact that you mentioned that you believe the paranormal is not inconsistent with their field of study and science teachers use science to come to conclusions about the physical world. (2points). If they had a true passion for science then why would you exclude one of the worlds greatest mysteries? These kind of mysteries are meant to be solved with science. The only problem is no one has the guts to do what it takes! silent DO YOU? dun dun duuunnnnnnn

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am

timmy buck buck wrote:1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

Paranormal activity is a load of bull. Ive never seen it or do i believe in it. I only believe in angels and demons but not ghost. Science hasnt changed my view on it nor will it ever. I will believe in paranormal activity when I see it. No matter how much you try and prove it is real with science I will never believe in it.


I agree with you before i visited this website i did not believe in paranormal activity and after i visited it i still did not believe in it. I believe in angels and demons which are not the same as ghosts. No matter what bull science says or tries to do to prove these things i still wont believe it as a ghost in some situations i believe that there may have been a demon involved but ghost no.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 am

gamerdude94 wrote:The paranormal has always seemed like a legitimate thing to me. The website only proved this with their facts on orbs. Alot of things can shows up on cameras that would not show up to the human eye. I believe that there are paranormal forces and that humans can not see the exact forces behind such actions as doors closing, cold spots and orbs.

I can see where you are coming from but i do not agree with you. You say that a camera can catch things that the human eye will not and i agree with that but what about all those situations where people say they saw the paranormal beings with their own eyes and the camera did not, and i also believe cold spots and orbs are a load of crap.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  krazedxasylum on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:59 am

[quote=" Paranormal activity is a load of bull. Ive never seen it or do i believe in it.
This is ridiculous, if you haVe not seen it, then how do you know what to belive TIMMY.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  krazedxasylum on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 am

NorthStar wrote: I don't think any really scientist should beleve in this until their is really logical proof .
how is evidence such as electronic readings not proof

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:There are too many things that science has yet to explain. That includes the paranormal, which is why I think that 40% of all science teachers still belive in it. Also, some people may have had a personal experience with a ghost or something. This experience may be another reason that some people still believe in the paranormal aswell. Also, scientists discovers something new everyday and one day maybe someone will prove that things in the paranormal do exist. It is perfectly possible to believe in the paranormal and still call yourself a scientist. Why not believe? I is not inconsistent in their field of study because science is all about discovery and proving the impossible to be possible. The fact that 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal does not surprise me at all. In fact, i'm surprised that more scientists don't believe in the paranormal. I personally believe that ghosts, or spirits, or whatever you want to call them exist because I am one of those people that has had an experience with one. Smile

I completely agree with you. Scientists have come very far but that does not mean they can explain everything. I believe that you cant explain everything in this world and sometimes you just have to believe in things

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Paranormal & Science

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum