5th Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:09 am

Watch "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash" at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-665674869982904386# . Then, visit "Life After the Oil Crash" at http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ . Reflect on the video & website and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. At the beginning of the documentary, oil is described as being . . . the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth. What is your reaction to these descriptions? How do you feel about living in a world that is so dependent on oil? After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, October 6 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, October 8 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Oh my freakin gosh! That was a LONG assignment!!

Post  earthycolors on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 pm

1. At the beginning of the documentary, oil is described as being . . . the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth. What is your reaction to these descriptions? How do you feel about living in a world that is so dependent on oil? After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

Oh my, that was a very extensive assignment.

My reaction to those descriptions are:
The Excrement of The Devil- Entirely understandable, because the devil is bad. And the oil is bad to rely on. Obvious connection here.

Black Blood- I get it. Oil is black, black blood. Not much of a link here though.

Blood of The Dinosaurs- This one I actually get, because oil is a fossil fuel from the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures a long time ago, and some of this oil might very well be their blood.

The Bloodstream of The World Economy- Well it might as well be, We rely on it for everything. Not some things, literally EVERYTHING we do relies on oil and other fossil fuels. It's the most widely used source of energy in the world and more abundant than most other sources of energy (the top one being water).

The Blood of The Earth- Another obvious connection here. Oil is inside the earth, just like blood. We need oil, just like blood. We'd be in serious trouble without oil, just like blood (we'd be dead).

Overall, my reactions to those description is that they are all necessary sayings (except for the black blood one). And it describes the resource called "oil". I feel that oil deserves these descriptions because that is exactly what it is.

I feel kinda dumb living in a world that's so dependent on something that might run low in a few more decades. The world knows that we're running dry on oil, but we still try our best to drill it up anyway. I've heard of stupid decisions but even WARS are started because of cheap energy. There are many more ways to get energy but the world just doesn't want to do it and major companies will risk the entire world's economy shattering into oblivion just to stay filthy rich. It's absurd! Its evil! I feel like the world is not making the switch to cleaner fast enough, and it's not just because the new energy is cleaner. It's because what will happen if the world is working to slow to make the change to alternative energy than suddenly the oil shortens out and disappears? The people who didn't change will be standing there looking like dumb*sses while the media is uttering "We're out of oil" and half the world is frantically searching far and wide for oil that they'll never see again.

The motivations I have for finding alternative energy sources is to develop a national petition, a petition that states that we, the country must find an alternative energy source by 2030. If like at least a quarter of the country signs it, major people like GM or The president will look into it and mabye propose an act or plan for it (Yeah, Right).

Another idea is a major company start practically giving away hybrids and electric cars ( That'll never happen. People wanna make their money) so that the oil company will lose so much money that they'll have to close shop.
afro
earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

blahhhhhhh. that was tooo long...

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm

2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

This attitude is really stupid. Like, when someone would just drive less and walk instead of driving, they are only thinking about themselves. They aren't looking at it for the future. In the long run, if one only helps themself then they are kinda screwed, cause that wont do them any good. It wont do them any good because they aren't informing OTHER people about the loss. If others were informed and showed they cared, by stopping driving as much, saving the oil, we'd be much better off now. We would have enough oil to get by, we are living with what we get, no one cared so they used a bunch of the oil up. (stupid, selfish boogers... Mad Mad Mad ) well that's all i have to say for right now... TTFN!

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 pm

earthycolors wrote:
I feel kinda dumb living in a world that's so dependent on something that might run low in a few more decades. The world knows that we're running dry on oil, but we still try our best to drill it up anyway. I've heard of stupid decisions but even WARS are started because of cheap energy. There are many more ways to get energy but the world just doesn't want to do it and major companies will risk the entire world's economy shattering into oblivion just to stay filthy rich. It's absurd! Its evil! I feel like the world is not making the switch to cleaner fast enough, and it's not just because the new energy is cleaner. It's because what will happen if the world is working to slow to make the change to alternative energy than suddenly the oil shortens out and disappears? The people who didn't change will be standing there looking like dumb*sses while the media is uttering "We're out of oil" and half the world is frantically searching far and wide for oil that they'll never see again.
afro

I CONCUR! {: its crazy what people will do for something... (make art, not war! hah. i feel dumb now.. Razz)

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm

People should care!! When there is no more oil its all gone and not coming back!!! Is that what you want for your children's generation?? Some people want to drive and when the oils all gone you won't be able to drive anymore. Then people are going to have to ride their bike ans walk every where and that might fix the obesity in the world but also some and maybe most people don't know how to ride a bick so they will be forced to walk and they won't appreciate it much...just think about it, if you want to be able to drive and not have to buy an electric car, just use your car when you need it and walk where your able too...that's just my opinion
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Most Americans do have the attitude stated above. They really don't care about the environment or anyone else. They only care about themselves. As the article describes, its not ALL related to gas (driving). Fossil fuels are also used to make food and the appliances that food is stored in (refridgerators). 10 calories of fossil fuels are used to make 1 calorie of food. I know this may not seem like a lot to some of you, but as a calorie counter, I understand. Think about it this way. A typical meal would have about 400 calories. If you multiply that by 10, that would be 4,000 calories of fossil fuels to create one meal for you!!!!! Teenagers consume about 2500 calories a day. Thats 250,000 calories of fossil fuels used daily!!!!! We can't starve ourselves or anything obviously, but what we can do is find alternative energy sources. This would help the fossil fuels that are used for gas and food and LOTS of other stuff. I probably won't do anything to help find anything honestly. I just don't have enough motivation. However, if someone else finds a new source of energy, I would totally convert, cuz I'm cool like that. Cool

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Such Lovely Background Music

Post  londylou on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:00 pm

First of all, is there a soundtrack for this? I LOVE the music in the beginning. But anyway. . . these descriptions sound very creepy. They make sense though. Black blood because it is a huge necessity and it is black, blood of the dinosaurs because the dead animals (presumably dinosaurs) mixed in with the sand during the process of its creation, the bloodstream of the world economy because it is what keeps the economy going, the blood of the earth because once again its a huge necessity, and the excrement of the devil probably because it is black and the color black is often associated with evil. I personally dont like the idea of us being so dependent on oil simply because its gonna run out. We cant just produce it in a factory or grow it in a field. I am now very motivated to find alternative energy sources because its not gonna last forever and when it runs out, the world is gonna become a very dangerous place. There are already wars over drilling oil. Imagine what its gonna be like when there is only one more place that contains oil. Every country will be trying to take over that one so they can have the last few drops of it. I hope Im not around when this happens because its gonna be awful. And did you see what the areas that used to be huge oil drilling locations look like now?! A barren, empty wastland. Smh we REALLY need to get on finding new alternatives before this gets any worse =)

-LondyLou

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

DIANE!!! DID YOU FALL ASLEEP DOING THE ASSIGNMENT?? D I A N E!!!!!!!!!!

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:31 pm

After reading the statement, I totally believe that oil is one of the major problems of the world. I also think that oil is the reason that America is at war. I mean, in the scheme of things, greed is very prevalent. Living in a world so dependent on oil is very sickening and disheartening. I mean, we live in a society where we are so concerned with Kim Kardashian having a sex video and what new kid Brad and Angelina have, & everything just seems so trivial these days. Society should be focusing more on how to save themselves before it's too late. Everything is such a power struggle when it comes to oil, that we will be desolate and destitute by the time the world "figures out" what's happening. I am motivated to help the environment, and maybe work for the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to make sure things can become better for not just Americans, but for people in the corners of the Earth, because EVERYONE has the right to live happily.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

this was so boring but informational..

Post  LittleMissSophie on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 pm

The names that they gave oil to me fit but were a bit over the top!. The excrement of the devil, come on doing to much. I do not like that we are so dependent on oil. It make me think that war is gonna break out for more or to keep what we have left. More havoc will come our way. The best way is to just move faster and effectively towards different solar panel cars or the car that use CORN!. I understand that it cost so much but is a better outcome than fighting war after war.

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 pm

On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

Besides the whole "you're incredibly ignorant and deserve to be tarred and feathered." shpeel its because it will effect America more than most would think. We need fossil fuels for building cars, farming, computers, plastics and much much more. Now that i've seen and read these articles i know that without alternative energy not only will production of pretty much everything used on a daily basis cease but, we would also regress to fighting over oil, food, and water. If you want an example watch the road warrior movies.
Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

oil over oxygen

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:46 am

I was very surprised to find out that we were so dependent on oil, the saddest thing is that we are killing for it. In a world living on a non-renewable substance, as soon as that substance is used up everyone will need to make drastic changes in lifestyle. We need to find alternative energy sources otherwise we'll have to get things done the old fashion way, with our bare hands.
whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:22 am

snookieluvs2tan wrote:After reading the statement, I totally believe that oil is one of the major problems of the world. I also think that oil is the reason that America is at war. I mean, in the scheme of things, greed is very prevalent. Living in a world so dependent on oil is very sickening and disheartening. I mean, we live in a society where we are so concerned with Kim Kardashian having a sex video and what new kid Brad and Angelina have, & everything just seems so trivial these days. Society should be focusing more on how to save themselves before it's too late. Everything is such a power struggle when it comes to oil, that we will be desolate and destitute by the time the world "figures out" what's happening. I am motivated to help the environment, and maybe work for the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to make sure things can become better for not just Americans, but for people in the corners of the Earth, because EVERYONE has the right to live happily.

Yea, I also believe that oil is one of the major problems in the world. I do think that we are at war for one reason and one reason only, to keep our foot in the door of the countries that we get our oil from and we aren't really there to protect people in that country. The US is greedy and will do anything to get what we want no matter what happens to get it. I think that the world does care what Kim Kardashian does or doesn't do instead of what is going on in the world that they are living in.
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am

whippersnappkid wrote:1. At the beginning of the documentary, oil is described as being . . . the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth. What is your reaction to these descriptions? How do you feel about living in a world that is so dependent on oil? After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

I was very surprised to find out that we were so dependent on oil, the saddest thing is that we are killing for it. In a world living on a non-renewable substance, as soon as that substance is used up everyone will need to make drastic changes in lifestyle. We need to find alternative energy sources otherwise we'll have to get things done the old fashion way, with our bare hands.

We probably always be killing for the right to have oil. The people should already be making plans for the future when or if we run out of oil instead of later. When we do run out of oil then people will be panicing to try and find ways to use things that required oil...people aren't going to want to do things with their hands which might happen so they should think ahead and find an alternative resources to use.
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:10 pm

smiley11 wrote:People should care!! When there is no more oil its all gone and not coming back!!! Is that what you want for your children's generation?? Some people want to drive and when the oils all gone you won't be able to drive anymore. Then people are going to have to ride their bike ans walk every where and that might fix the obesity in the world but also some and maybe most people don't know how to ride a bick so they will be forced to walk and they won't appreciate it much...just think about it, if you want to be able to drive and not have to buy an electric car, just use your car when you need it and walk where your able too...that's just my opinion

Oil will still run out, even if we cut back on uses by reducing vehicle travel. Oil is used on so much more than just powering our cars. We need to find a replacement for oil not just slow down consumption.
whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whippersnappkid on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:36 pm

earthycolors wrote:
I feel kinda dumb living in a world that's so dependent on something that might run low in a few more decades. The world knows that we're running dry on oil, but we still try our best to drill it up anyway.

Can we blame the world for becoming dependent on oil? In the beginning years of oil nobody knew that we would run out. Now that everyone is accustomed to oil, they will probably keep digging it up until they have the very last drop. I believe that we will run out of oil before a stable replacement is made and we will have to go through a time period of finding that stable replacement. It's not only the people of this planet and there need for oil that we should be worrying about. what happens when the earth runs out of its "blood"? We are dependent on the planet earth and it's atmosphere for survival, as of right now there is no where else for us to live.
whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:27 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:After reading the statement, I totally believe that oil is one of the major problems of the world. I also think that oil is the reason that America is at war. I mean, in the scheme of things, greed is very prevalent. Living in a world so dependent on oil is very sickening and disheartening. I mean, we live in a society where we are so concerned with Kim Kardashian having a sex video and what new kid Brad and Angelina have, & everything just seems so trivial these days. Society should be focusing more on how to save themselves before it's too late. Everything is such a power struggle when it comes to oil, that we will be desolate and destitute by the time the world "figures out" what's happening. I am motivated to help the environment, and maybe work for the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to make sure things can become better for not just Americans, but for people in the corners of the Earth, because EVERYONE has the right to live happily.

Good point. i like the way you think. the world also cares more about having hair as high as snookie's too.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:17 pm

earthycolors wrote:I feel kinda dumb living in a world that's so dependent on something that might run low in a few more decades. The world knows that we're running dry on oil, but we still try our best to drill it up anyway. I've heard of stupid decisions but even WARS are started because of cheap energy. There are many more ways to get energy but the world just doesn't want to do it and major companies will risk the entire world's economy shattering into oblivion just to stay filthy rich. It's absurd! Its evil! I feel like the world is not making the switch to cleaner fast enough, and it's not just because the new energy is cleaner. It's because what will happen if the world is working to slow to make the change to alternative energy than suddenly the oil shortens out and disappears? The people who didn't change will be standing there looking like dumb*sses while the media is uttering "We're out of oil" and half the world is frantically searching far and wide for oil that they'll never see again.
afro

OMG TOTALLY AGREE ON EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID!!! Its a shame that people will let all the oil get used up just to stay rich!! At the end of the day, the money will get spent and then what? You just ruined the world's economy for something that probably wont even last a year. Smh

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:22 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:After reading the statement, I totally believe that oil is one of the major problems of the world. I also think that oil is the reason that America is at war. I mean, in the scheme of things, greed is very prevalent. Living in a world so dependent on oil is very sickening and disheartening. I mean, we live in a society where we are so concerned with Kim Kardashian having a sex video and what new kid Brad and Angelina have, & everything just seems so trivial these days. Society should be focusing more on how to save themselves before it's too late.

I believe that oil is the reason America is at war too. And the reason that we're so obsessed with it is because it rakes in billions of dollars. I love how everyone gets so crazy over money that they dont think about the effects of the carless drilling theyre doing. Its sad that Americans care more about celebrities' lives than a future without oil.

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top