3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:53 pm

iluvowls wrote:After watching this video, I definitely agree that oil is the blood of the earth. People depend on it and fight over it so much. This is not good because there is a limited amount of it and it is going to run out soon.

I completely agree with you on this. A lot of people say that money makes the world go round, but i actually think that oil might give that saying a run for its money. It's going to very interesting and stressful to see what will happen once all of the oil is gone and we have to find something new to power all of our electrical powered items.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 pm

krazedxasylum wrote: For me =, living in a world that depends on oil is very scary now because when our main resouce of energy runs out, their can be some major and exreme issues for us.


I agree with you on this, because I too will be very afraid of the day coming when oil runs out because no one knows whats going to happen. So if we don't try to do anything now, when the day that the oil will stop, is the day a lot of s*** will hit the fan!!!!! Exclamation pale

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Suga-Mama on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Richiee12 wrote: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime. This statement is false, and although some of us are now realizing that it will run out sooner than what we think, there are still people out who don't believe that it will run out anytime soon. The depletion of oil is determining out future. Crude oil is the basis of our economy, but we need to change that. We shouldn't rely on it as much when there are obviously alternatives for this form of energy. Let's try cars that run on electricity. Oh so you say they're too pricey? You're WRONG! The new 2011 Chevrolet Volt is running for only $30,000. Not bad, plus its actually stylish. Lets save the oil for other purposes. Even if we decrease the amount of oil we use each year by 20-30% it will still help our economy in the future and eventually will cause oil usage to be almost at a halt.
I can see that you feel very emotional about this, and I do agree with you. People are waiting for the government to do something. They want to be forced to go green, because they don't want get up a do it by themselves. If this really is the case, America might just wait till the last minute like it always does and bide time for as long as it can. America never thinks about the future. All politicians care about is the present. Until the world's oil supply runs out, I don't believe the uses of green technology will grow very much. (SAD but true.) Sad

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Suga-Mama on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:37 pm

iluvowls wrote:After watching this video, I definitely agree that oil is the blood of the earth. People depend on it and fight over it so much. This is not good because there is a limited amount of it and it is going to run out soon. I feel ashamed that people on this Earth like me have relied on oil so much there is no reason why we can't use cleaner, renewable energy. People should have thought about this a long time ago. I definitely feel motivated to change myself and others and keep them from using to much unneeded energy. I will walk more than drive, turn off lights, and tell others they should do the same. I will also incourage people that I know to get jobs that help the environment.
Finally! Someone gets it ! This is exactly how I feel too. I want to do my part to save the Earth too. Maybe someday all of America will do the same, (NOT LIKELY), but we can still hope. I love you Very Happy

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:21 pm

violinist13 wrote:This attitude is not a viable attitude because this so that americans not trying to find ways to make different fuel they are acting like it will be there forever. I have found that if we dont find alternative energy the world will be in mass caous because people will be stealing,killing, and dieing to just have oil for their needs. I think we should have started to find alternate energy sources a long time ago before we have reached the peak we are now at.

I love you Exactly! When it comes to the resources used everyday Americans act stubborn. We don't listen or take the time out to find out the negative affects of our actions and other things. When actions are tooken its at the last minute, as we can see with this oil crisis.

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:41 pm

NorthStar wrote:I this description shows how precious oil is to the earth and to the world. If the worlds oil reserves run out to fast before we can find other alternative resources then our world economy and resource system will crumble. Also if we don't find a better cleaner alternative resources then the earth temp will rise cause more global economic problems for the world. So after watching these video I think we should speed up the process of researching and creating alternative fuels before, its to late.

I think we should speed the process up and should've started way earlier. I don't think anybody would have ever thought just oil would lead to the problems we have today. We need to have a higher usage of these alternative resources and less of oil.

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  violinist13 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:41 pm

timmy buck buck wrote: We should be affraid at how suddenly gas production is dropping. If Americans just said screw finding new energy sources for now then it would be too late once the gas is all gone. This is unacceptable because there is no reason to be that lazy, yes when u drive less you use less gas but its not o.k. to pay for high gas prices till the gas is gone.
Your right we should be shocked if the gas prices drop. And we are lazy and we need to step up a game to create new resources for fuel but our society is all about being lazy now and finding the simple way to do things.

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  violinist13 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:
affraid My reaction to oil being described as the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth was suprised. I was shocked that oil was being related to such things such as the excrement of the devil Then again I do understand why it was decribed as the bloodstream of the world economy and the blood of the earth. Like blood in the human body, I honestly think at this point in life we couldn't survive without oil.
I agree with you i dont think that our society will be able to live without oil because we are to lazy to find new way to create energy. We need to step up our game!!!!!

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:After looking at the video and reading the article I realize we need to do something NOW. In old times oil was described as the secretion of the devil. This is in fact true since we depend on it so much. The article explained that while oil wont completley run out soon but it will deplete. Therefore demand will be higher than production. This will turn out to lead to wars and conflicts. I for one do not want to live in a world were driving a car is a factor that leads to war. Just look at what happened in the 70's. Oil was scarce and people were going CRAZY. I think that if we are going to prevent this we need to secure a foundation in alternative energy. Alternative energy is the best possible answer because oil will eventualy run out but the wind, water, and sun are here to stay.
i totally agree with you we need to stop depending on oil and use alternative energy. Oil is bound to run out and its scarcity may bring conflict as you were saying. If we all used alternative energy then that would solve a lot of problems

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote: I was mostly disgusted by the descriptions of oil given at the beginning of the documentary even though they are somewhat justified. For example, oil can be seen as the "excrement of the devil" because it has resulted in a kind of evil on Earth. Oil was good because it allowed us to receive so many technological advancements but we have taken it for granted. I am scared living in a world so dependent on oil. We are so dependent on oil that we still have not set a permanent solution or alternative when we run out of it. This movie gives many motivations for finding alternative energy sources. One motivation is the simple fact that oil will be gone soon and at the moment we are getting it from less and less secure places that challenge the taking of oil in the first place (which will result in violence and possibly a war, in which case more oil will be needed). Another motivation is the fact that not even one-hundredth of the people in the world know about the importance of our harmfull predicament. Not only are these people unprepared, they do not even know to think about a solution. Finally, the only major problems of some alternatives (such as nuclear and solar energy) is money and lack of research. Mad Exclamation Neutral Exclamation

I agree with you on why oil can be called the "excrement of the devil". I also agree that most people dont even know what can happen if we dont stop using all of this oil. I also can see where you are coming from when you say that some of the alternative energy cannot be produced as much because of money and lack of research but we pretty much have nuclear energy down pack but solar is expensive so i understand.

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  gamerdude94 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote: I was mostly disgusted by the descriptions of oil given at the beginning of the documentary even though they are somewhat justified. For example, oil can be seen as the "excrement of the devil" because it has resulted in a kind of evil on Earth. Oil was good because it allowed us to receive so many technological advancements but we have taken it for granted. I am scared living in a world so dependent on oil. We are so dependent on oil that we still have not set a permanent solution or alternative when we run out of it. This movie gives many motivations for finding alternative energy sources. One motivation is the simple fact that oil will be gone soon and at the moment we are getting it from less and less secure places that challenge the taking of oil in the first place (which will result in violence and possibly a war, in which case more oil will be needed). Another motivation is the fact that not even one-hundredth of the people in the world know about the importance of our harmfull predicament. Not only are these people unprepared, they do not even know to think about a solution. Finally, the only major problems of some alternatives (such as nuclear and solar energy) is money and lack of research. Mad Exclamation Neutral Exclamation

I completley agree with you and I am also disgusted by those quotes. Our economy is so dependent on oil I sometimes wonder what will happen when we run out. Will there be a world war 3 over the last few million barrels of oil. If we keep heading in the direction we are going and do not convert to plentiful renewable energy resources I am afraid that the future could hold alot more then high gas prices

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  gamerdude94 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm

tw33tybirdn3rd wrote:2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?


silent
HUSH!!!
What do you mean you dont care about the gas prices going up? driving less is only a way to help yourself. You should care about the gas price going up because it is not just you that has a car. The raise of gas prices will not only affect how much you drive that is not the only thing oil is used for. You may mot know it but oil is a major need in the world. How do you think the computers, refrigerators are made. They are produced in oil-powered plants. What about the farming that needs to be done for use to eat. The tractors and tailers need to run on oil, there fertilizer is produced with oil. You think if they have to pay a large about of money just to produce things for you their price on the food the sell or the appliances sold to storage food isnt going to raise?! If you think that your dead wrong. tThe rise of gas prices not only effects your drive its going to effect your way of life!!!! Shocked

I understand completley what you are saying. People are so stupid that they dont realize they will be driving alot less in the future just because there is a LACK of oil. People need to stop thinking about how they will save money based on oil production in the future and they need to start thinking about how we will compensate for all of our energy by making better sources of energy

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sources

Post  penguin94 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:21 pm

iluvowls wrote:
Richiee12 wrote: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime. This statement is false, and although some of us are now realizing that it will run out sooner than what we think, there are still people out who don't believe that it will run out anytime soon. The depletion of oil is determining out future. Crude oil is the basis of our economy, but we need to change that. We shouldn't rely on it as much when there are obviously alternatives for this form of energy. Let's try cars that run on electricity. Oh so you say they're too pricey? You're WRONG! The new 2011 Chevrolet Volt is running for only $30,000. Not bad, plus its actually stylish. Lets save the oil for other purposes. Even if we decrease the amount of oil we use each year by 20-30% it will still help our economy in the future and eventually will cause oil usage to be almost at a halt.


I agree that people should care about this more. I also think that most people are very ignorant to the situation but also refuse to listen when people try to explain it to them. People don't want to change because its easier to just stay the same. If we don't change though, we will be very sorry and everything will go bad. not only will we have nothing left to get energy from but people will go crazy and not know what to do.

Yes, change is necessary. If we continue on living as oil monsters, we will eventually end up consuming and destroying ourselves. In my opinion, I think that using a variety of the new energy suppliers (wind, hydroelectric, solar, etc.) will be the most beneficiary to the world. for now though, it is in our best interest to develop more fuel efficient cars until we can have these energy sources more available to the public.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum