3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 am

Watch "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash" at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-665674869982904386# . Then, visit "Life After the Oil Crash" at http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ . Reflect on the video & website and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. At the beginning of the documentary, oil is described as being . . . the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth. What is your reaction to these descriptions? How do you feel about living in a world that is so dependent on oil? After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, October 6 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, October 8 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Its the end of the world as we know it

Post  gamerdude94 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:03 pm

After looking at the video and reading the article I realize we need to do something NOW. In old times oil was described as the secretion of the devil. This is in fact true since we depend on it so much. The article explained that while oil wont completley run out soon but it will deplete. Therefore demand will be higher than production. This will turn out to lead to wars and conflicts. I for one do not want to live in a world were driving a car is a factor that leads to war. Just look at what happened in the 70's. Oil was scarce and people were going CRAZY. I think that if we are going to prevent this we need to secure a foundation in alternative energy. Alternative energy is the best possible answer because oil will eventualy run out but the wind, water, and sun are here to stay.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Going Green is the Key!!!!

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm

This documentary spoke the honest to god truth. I have always thought of oil as having a "dark side" to it, especially after witnessing what it has done to the environment and how it has affected human behavior. Every since humans discovered oil, things started changing. People got greedier and greedier. This not only affected human behavior, but this greed also severely harmed the environment and poisoned the Earth. While oil has been the center contribution to human technological developedment, the price humans and the Earth had to pay in the long run didn't seem worth it to me. People have started wars over this nasty, stinking, filthy, goop and based their whole economy on it. It is just ridiculous, as well as how dependent Americans are, on oil. To base an entire country on virtually nothing but oil was a stupid move on the government's part. They had to have discovered that the oil would run out eventually. Americans don't have anything they can focus their economy on now and once its gone, unless we can find some other source of wealth and commerce, America will cease to exist. (SAD). Don't get me wrong though, oil has provided a quick start to human technological development and given things from plastic, to cars, and even energy. But, hopefully America will realize the value of other energy sources and use it to its advantage. I believe going completely green is the key to America's, and ultimately the world's survival. This would not only help the economy, but the Earth as well. (GO GREEN!!!! affraid Mad bounce Shocked flower )

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The "Black Blood" of the Earth?... UGH!!!

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:33 am

I was mostly disgusted by the descriptions of oil given at the beginning of the documentary even though they are somewhat justified. For example, oil can be seen as the "excrement of the devil" because it has resulted in a kind of evil on Earth. Oil was good because it allowed us to receive so many technological advancements but we have taken it for granted. I am scared living in a world so dependent on oil. We are so dependent on oil that we still have not set a permanent solution or alternative when we run out of it. This movie gives many motivations for finding alternative energy sources. One motivation is the simple fact that oil will be gone soon and at the moment we are getting it from less and less secure places that challenge the taking of oil in the first place (which will result in violence and possibly a war, in which case more oil will be needed). Another motivation is the fact that not even one-hundredth of the people in the world know about the importance of our harmfull predicament. Not only are these people unprepared, they do not even know to think about a solution. Finally, the only major problems of some alternatives (such as nuclear and solar energy) is money and lack of research. Mad Exclamation Neutral Exclamation

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Its time to change

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 am

After watching this video, somethings became very eye opening. For one, they reffered to oil as the bloodstream of the economy. I interpreted this in two ways. One way is that oil is the means of all society because oil is the thing that flows through the world like blood. This is because of the widespread dependence on it. Also, this could mean that oil will ruin our economy. This could be because of scarcity of oil leading to wars, which will ultimatley lead to world debts from wars. For me =, living in a world that depends on oil is very scary now because when our main resouce of energy runs out, their can be some major and exreme issues for us. After watchin this, i am going to change some of the ays i waste oil. This is by skipping drive thru's, driving less and car pooling, and also by trying to only drive when necessary.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why Should You Give a Damn?

Post  Richiee12 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:32 pm

"Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime. This statement is false, and although some of us are now realizing that it will run out sooner than what we think, there are still people out who don't believe that it will run out anytime soon. The depletion of oil is determining out future. Crude oil is the basis of our economy, but we need to change that. We shouldn't rely on it as much when there are obviously alternatives for this form of energy. Let's try cars that run on electricity. Oh so you say they're too pricey? You're WRONG! The new 2011 Chevrolet Volt is running for only $30,000. Not bad, plus its actually stylish. Lets save the oil for other purposes. Even if we decrease the amount of oil we use each year by 20-30% it will still help our economy in the future and eventually will cause oil usage to be almost at a halt.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This bad what are we going to do without oil.

Post  violinist13 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

This attitude is not a viable attitude because this so that americans not trying to find ways to make different fuel they are acting like it will be there forever. I have found that if we dont find alternative energy the world will be in mass caous because people will be stealing,killing, and dieing to just have oil for their needs. I think we should have started to find alternate energy sources a long time ago before we have reached the peak we are now at.

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WAKE UP CAUE YOUR DEAD WRONG!!!!

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 pm

2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?


silent
HUSH!!!
What do you mean you dont care about the gas prices going up? driving less is only a way to help yourself. You should care about the gas price going up because it is not just you that has a car. The raise of gas prices will not only affect how much you drive that is not the only thing oil is used for. You may mot know it but oil is a major need in the world. How do you think the computers, refrigerators are made. They are produced in oil-powered plants. What about the farming that needs to be done for use to eat. The tractors and tailers need to run on oil, there fertilizer is produced with oil. You think if they have to pay a large about of money just to produce things for you their price on the food the sell or the appliances sold to storage food isnt going to raise?! If you think that your dead wrong. tThe rise of gas prices not only effects your drive its going to effect your way of life!!!! Shocked

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:33 pm

violinist13 wrote:On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

This attitude is not a viable attitude because this so that americans not trying to find ways to make different fuel they are acting like it will be there forever. I have found that if we dont find alternative energy the world will be in mass caous because people will be stealing,killing, and dieing to just have oil for their needs. I think we should have started to find alternate energy sources a long time ago before we have reached the peak we are now at.

your right there would be caous. i dont think the world would be able to function at all with out oil. they should have been ound a alternative to this whole energy thing i cant really stress it enough.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

STUPID AMERICAN PIGS, DON'T USE ALL THE OIL!!!!!!!!!!

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Americans should not be so optimistic about the decrease in gas quantity and oil quantity. We should be affraid at how suddenly gas production is dropping. If Americans just said screw finding new energy sources for now then it would be too late once the gas is all gone. This is unacceptable because there is no reason to be that lazy, yes when u drive less you use less gas but its not o.k. to pay for high gas prices till the gas is gone. The real response should have been we need to save or oil so I am not buying gas any longer, i will help donate money and look into organizations that work towards an alternative energy source. AS AN AMERICA I WILL BE THE REASON THE WORLD CONVERTS TO A RENEWABLE, CLEAN ENERGY SOURCE. "YEA AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".That should be the appropriate response. Analyst predict that up to 13% of gas production will decrease each year. This ,intern, would cause gas production to drop more than 75% percent in less than eleven years. This would lead to exponential gas prices based on the fact that in 1970 (when gas production went down by 5%) the gas almost tripled in price. The gas price would be horribly high if we did nothing, at this rate i will be paying way too much money for gas before I even reach the age of 30. This is one of the things that motivated me to think more about gas and finding a more efficient, alternative energy source. The fact that oil takes millions of years to replenish itself also motivates me to find another alternative energy source. Knowing that was the biggest influence to my caring for a new energy.

timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 pm

tw33tybirdn3rd wrote:2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?


silent
HUSH!!!
What do you mean you dont care about the gas prices going up? driving less is only a way to help yourself. You should care about the gas price going up because it is not just you that has a car. The raise of gas prices will not only affect how much you drive that is not the only thing oil is used for. You may mot know it but oil is a major need in the world. How do you think the computers, refrigerators are made. They are produced in oil-powered plants. What about the farming that needs to be done for use to eat. The tractors and tailers need to run on oil, there fertilizer is produced with oil. You think if they have to pay a large about of money just to produce things for you their price on the food the sell or the appliances sold to storage food isnt going to raise?! If you think that your dead wrong. tThe rise of gas prices not only effects your drive its going to effect your way of life!!!! Shocked
Well my first question is "Is you mad bruh?"(all jokes aside) and I think you are absolutely correct. The Big Deal attitude is totally not cool and majorly selfish. It really seems like the person who said it was ignorant to say something like that. We need gas for many things other than driving. Without gas some people cant cook with their stove top or oven, many houses wouldn't be heated and alot of other factors would change in your life as well.

timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  timmy buck buck on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 pm

violinist13 wrote:On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

This attitude is not a viable attitude because this so that americans not trying to find ways to make different fuel they are acting like it will be there forever. I have found that if we dont find alternative energy the world will be in mass caous because people will be stealing,killing, and dieing to just have oil for their needs. I think we should have started to find alternate energy sources a long time ago before we have reached the peak we are now at.
BRAVO,BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!! Why Goerge i think you have it!!!!! You are most certainly 100% correct. As a great nation like "AMERICA" we have had the tools and resources to look into alternative energy long ago, but we haven't. The gas and oil decrease does also cause conflicts between the different nations. Exhibit "A" the war in Iraq. That was a war that lasted for a decade all over getting oil from the middle east. Many people died in that war. If we had found a new energy source then that war would probably not have lasted that long and we could have saved many lives and our earths well being. All I'm saying is you make a valid point and deserve an applause for it.(but that'd be queer so all u get is a "good job Frank")

timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dum Dums

Post  Flipper on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm

timmy buck buck wrote: Americans should not be so optimistic about the decrease in gas quantity and oil quantity. We should be affraid at how suddenly gas production is dropping. If Americans just said screw finding new energy sources for now then it would be too late once the gas is all gone. This is unacceptable because there is no reason to be that lazy, yes when u drive less you use less gas but its not o.k. to pay for high gas prices till the gas is gone.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! We need to act now. I think America has the potential to start a stable alternative energy source. We have everything we need. We are allowing pure stupidity and apathy shape are future. People do not realize that in the next 100 years we will most likely be out of oil. Possibly on the brink of extinction because we killed each other over something that could have been prevented.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

There R Other Choiices !

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:28 pm


affraid My reaction to oil being described as the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth was suprised. I was shocked that oil was being related to such things such as the excrement of the devil Then again I do understand why it was decribed as the bloodstream of the world economy and the blood of the earth. Like blood in the human body, I honestly think at this point in life we couldn't survive without oil. Oil is used in EVERYTHING. Knowing that there are a few alternative choices out there that we can use instead of oil, I think it's sad that we are so dependent on oil. Oil production is at itts highest peak and is expected to decrease gradually as the yeasr go on. New motivations I found for finding alternative energy sources after watching the video and visting the website are things like choosing alternative energy technologies that are safer and cleaner. Suspect

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Flipper on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Richiee12 wrote: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime. This statement is false, and although some of us are now realizing that it will run out sooner than what we think, there are still people out who don't believe that it will run out anytime soon. The depletion of oil is determining out future. Crude oil is the basis of our economy, but we need to change that. We shouldn't rely on it as much when there are obviously alternatives for this form of energy. Let's try cars that run on electricity. Oh so you say they're too pricey? You're WRONG! The new 2011 Chevrolet Volt is running for only $30,000. Not bad, plus its actually stylish. Lets save the oil for other purposes. Even if we decrease the amount of oil we use each year by 20-30% it will still help our economy in the future and eventually will cause oil usage to be almost at a halt.

Yea I just think that statement is so ignorant and it really bugs me. First of all driving isnt the only way you use oil and second of all you are lying because you got to get to work and your only option is the bus or your own car. If oil is scarce it will be very expensive so therfore bus fare will increase and no one would want to give up a free ride. AND americas already lazy so i KNOW are NOT about to walk. THe only reason that statement was made was because they were not in the situation, and with that attitude, it wont be long into untill you are.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What will we do with our future...??...

Post  tweetywizard on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:00 pm

2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?



I can believe that everyone has this veiw on the gas issue, but that's really not gonna benefit no one but themselves. And we need to try to create or form diffrent ways of getting aaround. So instead of saying "Why should I give a d word", go out and try to help find solutions so that we can do our part in making the world a better place for you and for me. After watching the video and visiting the website I see that the alternatives to oil all have a down fall. For example, hydrogen is a good alternative but it will on provide for just a hand full of cars. Nuclear energy needs uranium and that only has a short supply. And ethanol would be a great alternative energy but it will consume more energy than it gives out. So we need to all work together to try find good new alternative energy sources so that we won't be so dependent on oil, and we won't have such a hard time after it leaves. What a Face



tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  iluvowls on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:37 am

After watching this video, I definitely agree that oil is the blood of the earth. People depend on it and fight over it so much. This is not good because there is a limited amount of it and it is going to run out soon. I feel ashamed that people on this Earth like me have relied on oil so much there is no reason why we can't use cleaner, renewable energy. People should have thought about this a long time ago. I definitely feel motivated to change myself and others and keep them from using to much unneeded energy. I will walk more than drive, turn off lights, and tell others they should do the same. I will also incourage people that I know to get jobs that help the environment.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

iluvowls wrote: People should have thought about this a long time ago. I definitely feel motivated to change myself and others and keep them from using to much unneeded energy.

I agree that people should have thought about this situation a long time ago. If people already knew then they should have started taking more action sooner. I have been motivated (...and scared) into changing myself and others as well. I feel I should be cracking down on my friends and family more often for unnecessarily using energy.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:I have always thought of oil as having a "dark side" to it, especially after witnessing what it has done to the environment and how it has affected human behavior. Every since humans discovered oil, things started changing. People got greedier and greedier.

You are so right about oil's effect on human behavior. Just like money, oil has brought out the greedy and selfish monster in humans. I hope that if we find a new energy source, we learn to conserve it so this situation does not repeat itself.

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

we have the stuff, now why dont we use it?

Post  penguin94 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:15 pm

timmy buck buck wrote:
violinist13 wrote:On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

This attitude is not a viable attitude because this so that americans not trying to find ways to make different fuel they are acting like it will be there forever. I have found that if we dont find alternative energy the world will be in mass caous because people will be stealing,killing, and dieing to just have oil for their needs. I think we should have started to find alternate energy sources a long time ago before we have reached the peak we are now at.
BRAVO,BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!! Why Goerge i think you have it!!!!! You are most certainly 100% correct. As a great nation like "AMERICA" we have had the tools and resources to look into alternative energy long ago, but we haven't. ")

I agree. We as a nation do have the technology that it takes to create these other energy sources. The problem is that Americans are so lazy and are concerned with only themselves. This is true. How many times have you seen someone actually stop to look at something like a recylcing poster or go out and try to spread the word (other than in school related activities)? I for one, have rarely seen this, and its not just with the environmental stuff; Americans just have the mindset to only think about themselves. But yes, if Americans actually started to care, then yes we would be able to develop alternative energy sources.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  krazedxasylum on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:10 pm

[quote="Suga-Mama"]This documentary spoke the honest to god truth. I have always thought of oil as having a "dark side" to it, especially after witnessing what it has done to the environment and how it has affected human behavior. Every since humans discovered oil, things started changing. People got greedier and greedier. This not only affected quote]

i HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS AS WELL BECAUSE SINCE OIL HAS COME INOT PLAY, NEGATIVE ASPECTSHAE BEEN CHANGING TO OUR ENVIRNMENT. IM GLAD TO SEE OTHERS FEEL THE SAME WAY.
P.S. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS IS IN ALL CAPS.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  krazedxasylum on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Richiee12 wrote: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime.

YOUR STATEMENT HERE APPEALED TO ME BECAUSE YOU HAVE PUT OUT THE STATMENTS AND ATTITUDES THAT MOST LAZY AMERICANS WOULD SAY AND KNOWING THAT YOU DISAGREE IS COMFORTING. BUT IF ALL ATITUDES OF PEOPLE WERE LIKE THIS, OPUR WORLD WOULD BE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE. WE MUST FIND A MEANS TO EDUCATE MORE PEOPLE ON THIS SERIOUS ISSUE.
P.S. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS IS IN ALL CAPS.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  NorthStar on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:20 pm

At the beginning of the documentary, oil is described as being . . . the excrement of the devil, black blood, blood of the dinosaurs, the bloodstream of the world economy, and blood of the earth. What is your reaction to these descriptions? How do you feel about living in a world that is so dependent on oil? After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?

I this description shows how precious oil is to the earth and to the world. If the worlds oil reserves run out to fast before we can find other alternative resources then our world economy and resource system will crumble. Also if we don't find a better cleaner alternative resources then the earth temp will rise cause more global economic problems for the world. So after watching these video I think we should speed up the process of researching and creating alternative fuels before, its to late.

NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  iluvowls on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Richiee12 wrote: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Its sad to say that this is most of the Americans attitude when they hear that crude oil is running out. We have been led on that crude oil won't run out in our lifetime and possibly not even our childrens children lifetime. This statement is false, and although some of us are now realizing that it will run out sooner than what we think, there are still people out who don't believe that it will run out anytime soon. The depletion of oil is determining out future. Crude oil is the basis of our economy, but we need to change that. We shouldn't rely on it as much when there are obviously alternatives for this form of energy. Let's try cars that run on electricity. Oh so you say they're too pricey? You're WRONG! The new 2011 Chevrolet Volt is running for only $30,000. Not bad, plus its actually stylish. Lets save the oil for other purposes. Even if we decrease the amount of oil we use each year by 20-30% it will still help our economy in the future and eventually will cause oil usage to be almost at a halt.


I agree that people should care about this more. I also think that most people are very ignorant to the situation but also refuse to listen when people try to explain it to them. People don't want to change because its easier to just stay the same. If we don't change though, we will be very sorry and everything will go bad. not only will we have nothing left to get energy from but people will go crazy and not know what to do.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  iluvowls on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:17 pm

tweetywizard wrote:2. On the website, the following statement is made: "Big deal. If gas prices get high, I’ll just drive less. Why should I give a damn?" Explain why this attitude is not a viable attitude for Americans to take. After watching this video & visiting the website, what new motivations have you found for finding alternative energy sources?



I can believe that everyone has this veiw on the gas issue, but that's really not gonna benefit no one but themselves. And we need to try to create or form diffrent ways of getting aaround. So instead of saying "Why should I give a d word", go out and try to help find solutions so that we can do our part in making the world a better place for you and for me. After watching the video and visiting the website I see that the alternatives to oil all have a down fall. For example, hydrogen is a good alternative but it will on provide for just a hand full of cars. Nuclear energy needs uranium and that only has a short supply. And ethanol would be a great alternative energy but it will consume more energy than it gives out. So we need to all work together to try find good new alternative energy sources so that we won't be so dependent on oil, and we won't have such a hard time after it leaves. What a Face






I do agree that we should try to find different energy sources but I don't think its that easy to just change America. It takes a lot of people to even start a change this drastic and who knows how hard it would be to change more people? Not to mention, it will be very expensive and we would have to convince rich, greedy people to give up there money to help the rest of the country be more responsible. Most people don't want to give what they have to help other people fix their mistakes.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - A Crude Awakening

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:43 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum