5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 am

Watch The Invisible Dangers of Cell Phone Radiation. Visit Reduce Your Brain's Exposure to Cell Phone Radiation & read Cell Phone Hang-Ups. All three sources are located on the My Favorites link on Ms. Hancock's website located at http://hstrial-ahancock2.homestead.com/Favorites.html . Reflect on the video, website, & article and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 29 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, October 1 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

I literally JUST hung up my cell phone...

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

So uhmmm, yeah. That kinda freaked me out. But would the radiation still affect you as much if you text more that you talk on the phone? 'cause I do text more often. I dunno. But that video looked kinda old and it didnt have text messaging included on the thingymajig. but yeah, I probably will TRY (keyword is try) to cut down on my cell phone usage. I'm gonna try for a few reasons;
1. dont wanna get a tumor
2. i already have an electric device on me 24/7 cause im a diabetic ( i bet i just gave away who i am.. hahah. )
3. i need to learn to live without a phone anyway i use mine too much.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don'tcha get them brain tumors, ya hear!

Post  earthycolors on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:06 pm

2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

My teenager brain is more vulnerable than Ms. Hancock's adult brain because my skull wall is slightly thinner than Ms. Hancock's, making my skull easier for microwaves and radiation to penetrate. Since my head is easier for radiation to penetrate, I have a higher chance for brain cancer or a brain tumor than Ms. Hancock. One author suggested that we keep our cellphones on "speakerphone". I don't think this will work all the time or even some of the time because of a number of reasons:
- If you're in a loud and noisy place, you might not be able to hear the phone clearly if at all.
- There are some more "private" phone calls that, if you're in a crowded area, you don't others to hear.
- Some cellphones don't support "speakerphone" capabilities.

While those are some downsides to "speakerphone", here are a couple of good things:
- Your cellphone is away from your head which can drastically reduce the amount of radiation entering
your brain.
- There is lesser of a chance for brain tumors or brain cancer to develop in your brain.
afro

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Maybe, Maybe Not

Post  Love_Muffins on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 pm

I don't think i will change any of my cell phone habits. I don't talk on the phone that much as it is(im a texter), and if I do it's because i need to. I can help people that do talk on the phone talk a little least. It stil woudn't make a difference because the rays are all around use. the only way to completely save yourselve is to lock yourself in a lead box. but then ya'll die of lack of air.

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Cell Phones

Post  Love_Muffins on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

So uhmmm, yeah. That kinda freaked me out. But would the radiation still affect you as much if you text more that you talk on the phone? 'cause I do text more often. I dunno. But that video looked kinda old and it didnt have text messaging included on the thingymajig. but yeah, I probably will TRY (keyword is try) to cut down on my cell phone usage. I'm gonna try for a few reasons;
2. i already have an electric device on me 24/7 cause im a diabetic ( i bet i just gave away who i am.. hahah. )

I completely agree with you. I love to text. I hope it doesnt apply to texting also. And I also noticed that the video was very old. you would think they would have fix it alot since then.

Love_Muffins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Does The Term "Ferrite Bead" Annoy Anyone Else?

Post  londylou on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 pm

1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning

This video actually made me kinda nervous. Im on the phone with my boyfriend, friends, family, etc all the time!! And I didnt know you could get microwaves from the computer too! Do you know how much I play the Sims? Im addicted to that game Shocked . I know this may sound very stupid, but I dont think my cell phone habits are gonna change much if any at all. The one change I may make is getting a Ferrite bead (ugh I hate the way that sounds) and I highly doubt that thats gonna happen. I (might?) try to reduce my phone usage. . . maybe. . . =)

-LondyLou

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mr. Chino is sleeping and Im waiting for FACEBOOK updates...LOL

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Soooooooooooo, after watching all that fun stuff and readin the articles, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get a car phone (like the one in Pretty Woman) I'm just kidding... Anywho, I think that I'm going to not talk on the phone as much as I do, or at least not for extended periods of time. Also, I have heard that talking on your cell phone while it's charging is also pretty harmful...And that you're talking on your cell phone while it's charging during a thunder storm with buckets of lightning. AND I heard that Johnny Cochran (OJ'S Lawyer) died from a brain tumor caused by over use of his cell phone. I don't think that I need to make BIG changes to my cell phone use, just that everyone can make minor adjustments. By the way, ALL PREGNANT CHICKS: KEEP AWAY FROM THE MICROWAVE; IT"S ACTUALLY TRUE! Think of it like this: save a Polar Bear (unplug it), and save your brain, and ultimately your life( stop talking on the phone)

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

DIANE!!!<3

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:27 pm

WOW like it shocked me how much radiation your head experiencing by the use of the cell phone. It can reach at least 1 inch into your brain and then the lady who had the brain tumor shaped like the cell phone antenna...that is crazy. Brain cancer is up 25% since cell phones became so big and its unbelievable. Plus how the cancer can take so long to pop up is just a shocker because its like dying slowly (straight jank). Since I dont own a cell phone (never have) I dont usually use one of them. But what I will do is spread the word about this (heck yeah).

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response to question one

Post  LittleMissSophie on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 pm

...SCARY STUFF!! pale ..After read and listen to the videos I think twice before I answer the phone. Well I text more than anything but still my mom and step-dad call all the time. Let me not answer the phone and it will not stop ringing! lol. I will text even more or just respond to all text at one time. I can actually live without my phone.!..Okay that was a joke. Most females would flip if their phones were on low battery..let alone not b able to use them. I could really use my phone less IF I wanted to. I think i might leave it on silent or turn it off just to see if i would still want to use it!
tongue Laughing

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

These same questions that came to mind when i was reading the articles. I'm glad i wasn't the only one to think about this. Your reasons hit right on the money for several people!

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

FREAKY....

Post  GummyBearLove on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:20 pm

This really scares me!! but what scares me the most is...I USE MY PHONE ALL DAY!! lol like i text from the time i wake up to the time i go to sleep...and i think the worse part is...i wont really change much at all...i think (like some others said) this was generally talking about talking and not texting. not saying that i wont get on the phone..cuz odds of that are slim to none. i know it may sound wrong but i dont think i can cut down on cell phone usage..Just because i have basically made it apart of my daily life...but maybe if they said the world would come to an end..MAYBE i would think about it Smile

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

After watching the video it kinda scared me about the radiation could be a poosible contributer to brain tumers...I use the cell phone all the time, but its mainly text messaging anyway. I hardly ever talk on the cell phone let alone the house phone unless I really needed to. I would say that the radiation would be the cause to the constant head aches but I highly doubt that it is Smile We can't really stop all the radiation because it comes from to many different sources that people use from day to day. I think the only way to reduse this radiation would be to cut down on using all the things such as microwaves, phones, computers and the t.v. but really, how many people are going to do that?

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:13 am

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning.

WOW like it shocked me how much radiation your head experiencing by the use of the cell phone. It can reach at least 1 inch into your brain and then the lady who had the brain tumor shaped like the cell phone antenna...that is crazy. Brain cancer is up 25% since cell phones became so big and its unbelievable. Plus how the cancer can take so long to pop up is just a shocker because its like dying slowly (straight jank). Since I dont own a cell phone (never have) I dont usually use one of them. But what I will do is spread the word about this (heck yeah).

I concur, it is really scary that cellphone as much as about anything else electronic can carry radiation right into your brain. I CAN'T ESCAPE IT! silent But what you said is pretty on-the-dot. I mean you not having a cellphone is good cause when we all die suddenly, you'll be the one walkin around outside looking at all the carcuses. haha. But i really hope they change this and start lowering cell phone radiation because its only gotten worse with the newer phones that can even turn off and on the alarm in your house!

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

TEXTERS UNITE!

Post  earthycolors on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:18 am

smiley11 wrote:After watching the video it kinda scared me about the radiation could be a poosible contributer to brain tumers...I use the cell phone all the time, but its mainly text messaging anyway. I hardly ever talk on the cell phone let alone the house phone unless I really needed to. I would say that the radiation would be the cause to the constant head aches but I highly doubt that it is Smile We can't really stop all the radiation because it comes from to many different sources that people use from day to day. I think the only way to reduse this radiation would be to cut down on using all the things such as microwaves, phones, computers and the t.v. but really, how many people are going to do that?

Exactly, people most likely wont cut down on anything electronics because it makes their world a better place. Heck, I'm even typing this response on a computer.... Ms. Hancock.... But what I'm saying is Those texters out there are recieving less radiation from those who talk on their phone. I barely ever talk on my phone either. So i guess texters wont die from brain tumors as often as callers. TEXTERS UNITE! And the thing you said about the headaches having a link to cellphone use, i think so too. This could be true!

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggest is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

Ms. Hancock has a thicker skull (HAHAHAHA). A ferrite bead would block cell phone radiation which would lessen the amount going into your brain. No. It's ridiculously stupid that it would do anything for you and the guy is obviously looking to make a quick buck.

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:I don't think i will change any of my cell phone habits. I don't talk on the phone that much as it is(im a texter), and if I do it's because i need to. I can help people that do talk on the phone talk a little least. It stil woudn't make a difference because the rays are all around use. the only way to completely save yourselve is to lock yourself in a lead box. but then ya'll die of lack of air.

I don't think that I would either because I'm a texter just like you Very Happy I also am like never on the phone unless I need to be or an emergency. You could try and stop all the people to talk on their phones less but it might be a loss cause because they probably wouldn't care.

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 pm

earthycolors wrote:2. Explain why your brain is more at-risk than Ms. Hancock's when it comes to the health dangers of cell phone radiation. What do the author's of the website suggeast is the solution to reducing your brain's exposure to cell phone radiation? Do you think this will work? Why or why not?

My teenager brain is more vulnerable than Ms. Hancock's adult brain because my skull wall is slightly thinner than Ms. Hancock's, making my skull easier for microwaves and radiation to penetrate. Since my head is easier for radiation to penetrate, I have a higher chance for brain cancer or a brain tumor than Ms. Hancock. One author suggested that we keep our cellphones on "speakerphone". I don't think this will work all the time or even some of the time because of a number of reasons:
- If you're in a loud and noisy place, you might not be able to hear the phone clearly if at all.
- There are some more "private" phone calls that, if you're in a crowded area, you don't others to hear.
- Some cellphones don't support "speakerphone" capabilities.

While those are some downsides to "speakerphone", here are a couple of good things:
- Your cellphone is away from your head which can drastically reduce the amount of radiation entering
your brain.
- There is lesser of a chance for brain tumors or brain cancer to develop in your brain.
afro

hahaha. i like the way you think. its ridonkulious! Razz haha. but you do have a good point. maybe speaker phones could help? maybe a little.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 pm

londylou wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning

This video actually made me kinda nervous. Im on the phone with my boyfriend, friends, family, etc all the time!! And I didnt know you could get microwaves from the computer too! Do you know how much I play the Sims? Im addicted to that game Shocked . I know this may sound very stupid, but I dont think my cell phone habits are gonna change much if any at all. The one change I may make is getting a Ferrite bead (ugh I hate the way that sounds) and I highly doubt that thats gonna happen. I (might?) try to reduce my phone usage. . . maybe. . . =)

-LondyLou

hah. samme. i love sims. i have it on my phone. i play it every time i walk in the door and jump on my bed. haha. but yeahhh. very similar thought process. good work watson. or sherlock holmes, if that's who ya wanna be. {:

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:

I completely agree with you. I love to text. I hope it doesnt apply to texting also. And I also noticed that the video was very old. you would think they would have fix it alot since then.

right. i mean if they were gonna post that video for people of OUR gerenration to watch, they should at least update it to today's standards, and have fresh information.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Love_Muffins wrote:I don't think i will change any of my cell phone habits. I don't talk on the phone that much as it is(im a texter), and if I do it's because i need to. I can help people that do talk on the phone talk a little least. It stil woudn't make a difference because the rays are all around use. the only way to completely save yourselve is to lock yourself in a lead box. but then ya'll die of lack of air.

I agree with you. Most of our generation are texters and don't bother dialing a telephone anymore. The rays are still in the air as you said. I'm wondering if we can absorb any other kinds of rays such as the ones from radio towers. I hope that people won't resort to locking themselves in lead boxes. lol!

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:07 pm

smiley11 wrote:After watching the video it kinda scared me about the radiation could be a poosible contributer to brain tumers...I use the cell phone all the time, but its mainly text messaging anyway. I hardly ever talk on the cell phone let alone the house phone unless I really needed to. I would say that the radiation would be the cause to the constant head aches but I highly doubt that it is Smile We can't really stop all the radiation because it comes from to many different sources that people use from day to day. I think the only way to reduse this radiation would be to cut down on using all the things such as microwaves, phones, computers and the t.v. but really, how many people are going to do that?

I have to disagree because there are times when I will spend hours on my cell phone and I get migranes. I don't tend to get migranes until I talk on my phone for extended periods of time. I agree that most people won't cut back on the radiation because look at how many people bother to cut back on pollution. I do wonder if different kinds of phones emit different amounts of the radiation.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

so like i need to totally learn how to get a grip lol

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:43 pm

no way i didnt know you were a diabetic and woah i wonder if like if having your cell phone in your pocket mess up the machine (if there is one inside of you) like would it ever make the numbers go awry or something?

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Babycat and the other black cats really need a bath

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:47 pm

woah i didnt know that was the only thing you could do...haha...but if people do cut down on the use of their phones there is a possibly (i think) that the rays being exposed to everyone. Hopefully that is a better alternative than being locked in a lead box lol

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 pm

yeah I agree with you. No matter what these scientists aand doctors try to say, unless cell phone companies pledge to stop making cell phones (which they won't) people are not going to stop talking on their phones anytime soon.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:35 pm

londylou wrote:1. After reading and viewing all of this information on the dangers of cell phone usage, how will your cell phone habits change (if at all)? Explain your reasoning

-LondyLou

you prolly already got a tumor...Im just kidding. but yeah, it will be hard to stop talking on the phone because it's so easy to just call someone up

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top