5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Admin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am

Watch four excerpts from Discovery Channel's The Colony.
Episode 1 - Part 1 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZklRSo2Ppek .
Episode 1 - Part 2 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSX4spUB0A .
Episode 1 - Part 3 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDR8oAT3bUo .
And Episode 1 - Part 4 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ehAf3sup8 .

Each video segment is approximately 10 minutes in length. Reflect on the videos, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 23 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 24 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  earthycolors on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 pm

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

Answer: Most likely, one of the most important things they did was bring all of the supplies they found in they're chosen house, which was another priority, they needed to find shelter fast and they did just that. That was important too. But the most important was bring all the supplies like food and medical supplies etc into their belonging. If I was in the colony, claiming a house would'nt have been one of the main priorities because fetching water is obviously more important than finding a house to sleep in. And fetching water is a much more harder and time consuming mission than just pointing your finger and saying, "that one". At least in my opinion.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

If i was in one of these situations for 50+ days; I would be scared outta my mind to start with. but i'd try my best to help and not be lazy. (*cough-cough-george-cough-cough*) I would handle it pretty well for the most part I would say because I am kinda out spoken and i am a pretty good problem solver. just gimme lotsa time to think about it. I think i would be able to bring a few good qualities; i can swim really well, im somewhat strong, i can think well on the my feet for the most part. besides i like this kinda stuff. except eating pigs... pig with maggots... that freaked me out. haha. gracias for reading! ta ta for now!

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Colony What is needs and what is priorities?

Post  violinist13 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm

I think security is the priority that is more important at the beginning. I think this because safety should always be the first thing then food then water. The priority that I would of have made a priority was catching food. Since they had a week's worth of food I do not think that fishing would be a priority before security and water. The colony is testing the human knowledge to see if the people are ready for any kind of disaster. There are certain things that the human body can wait to have like food. So I think the colony should of did security and water first and waited on the food.

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Colonize this ____

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Wow the colony is a pretty spectacular view on what could possibly happen to America in the future if there were to be a catastrophic disaster. It amazes me on how in so little time people can create a bond and work together to save each others lives. If I were to be placed in that same scenario for 50+days, I know that for the first 25 I would possibly be breaking down mentally every night. I think that I would try my best to put on a show of strength BUT deep down I would think I would be doomed. The only abilities that I could possibly bring to the table that the group could benefit from is my skills to make things from hooks and strings from mosquito nets to caps all from my ability on crocheting (master skills yo!) and possibly stretching food out since i come from a family of three boys (who would eat the dirt off the floor if they were not going to be looked at as being dirty) a sister and a mom who barely can shop for food sometimes.

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:12 pm

violinist13 wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

I think security is the priority that is more important at the beginning. I think this because safety should always be the first thing then food then water. The priority that I would of have made a priority was catching food. Since they had a week's worth of food I do not think that fishing would be a priority before security and water. The colony is testing the human knowledge to see if the people are ready for any kind of disaster. There are certain things that the human body can wait to have like food. So I think the colony should of did security and water first and waited on the food.

I personally thought they did in the right order because you can only last 3 days without water and actually be able to function so long without food. If they were to try to establish some sort of security first they would have wasted a whole day on being watch guards. But I see how you are thinking but maybe it should have been water security food (kind of meeting somewhere in the middle Smile)

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:14 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

If i was in one of these situations for 50+ days; I would be scared outta my mind to start with. but i'd try my best to help and not be lazy. (*cough-cough-george-cough-cough*) I would handle it pretty well for the most part I would say because I am kinda out spoken and i am a pretty good problem solver. just gimme lotsa time to think about it. I think i would be able to bring a few good qualities; i can swim really well, im somewhat strong, i can think well on the my feet for the most part. besides i like this kinda stuff. except eating pigs... pig with maggots... that freaked me out. haha. gracias for reading! ta ta for now!

OMG i loved the pig little symbol how clever BUT lucky you i cant swim nor be a problem solver when it comes to life or death of me and a whole group first i would probably need some time to break down a little then get myself together lol

FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:
violinist13 wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

I personally thought they did in the right order because you can only last 3 days without water and actually be able to function so long without food. If they were to try to establish some sort of security first they would have wasted a whole day on being watch guards. But I see how you are thinking but maybe it should have been water security food (kind of meeting somewhere in the middle Smile)

I agree with both of your points. (heh, sorry to be an instigator; err however you spell it) but yeah security should have been one of the higher up priorities than last. it is pretty important. but the food and water is definately way more important. when you're out in the "wilderness" you need your wits about you. or else something bad could happen. mhm.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Wow the colony is a pretty spectacular view on what could possibly happen to America in the future if there were to be a catastrophic disaster. It amazes me on how in so little time people can create a bond and work together to save each others lives. If I were to be placed in that same scenario for 50+days, I know that for the first 25 I would possibly be breaking down mentally every night. I think that I would try my best to put on a show of strength BUT deep down I would think I would be doomed. The only abilities that I could possibly bring to the table that the group could benefit from is my skills to make things from hooks and strings from mosquito nets to caps all from my ability on crocheting (master skills yo!) and possibly stretching food out since i come from a family of three boys (who would eat the dirt off the floor if they were not going to be looked at as being dirty) a sister and a mom who barely can shop for food sometimes.

i would probably do that same as you, for the whole break down the first twenty five nights. haha. im just a big 'ol baby. haha. but yeah. the bond everyone made was awesome. i love when that happens. it makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. hhaa. now i feel like a dork for saying that. haha... Embarassed Embarassed

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 am

I think one of the things the colonists made a priority was security because before you can get anything done you have to be sure your safe. Personally i think finding and getting water is more important because you can't survive very long without it. If i was involved finding a house would not have been one of my first prioroty because food Like a Star @ heaven and water come first and people can't live without it. tongue

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:36 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

You make a good point. I too would probably be crying myself to sleep for weeks after if the whole U.S. died from a deadly virus and reduced the once powerful nation to a series of small groups of hunters and gatherers. Your ability of not eating often will definatly come in handy when you have a very limited supply of food in the wilderness. Will your brothers really eat dirt off the floor?! I know its a figure of speech. haha. But on a serious note, I think none of us would survive for long in a place with no medication, a limited supply of food, and unsafe conditions. We've totally lost our natural animal speed and hunting skills and instincts that we had thousands of years ago.

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:43 pm

MiszCheesekake41 wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

I think one of the things the colonists made a priority was security because before you can get anything done you have to be sure your safe. Personally i think finding and getting water is more important because you can't survive very long without it. If i was involved finding a house would not have been one of my first prioroty because food Like a Star @ heaven and water come first and people can't live without it. tongue

I agree, Cheesekake (sounds good right now). I also typed in my reply that finding water is more important than finding shelter, because what good is shelter if you die of thirst, right? And yes, i also think that the safety of the people is very inportant and very essential in the survival of everybody. Ya gotta protect them things a yours!

earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reno is a rugged beauty

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:14 pm

OMG! this is like the best tv I have seen since LOST. Ok, so if I were on The Colony, I would be a good asset. I know how to solve problems and calmly discuss options, and I can think critically. I know how to save things, and I know alot about survival techniques.
Now, about these characters! Reno (the rugged beauty) is like the leader of everyone, and he seems to be listened to the most. The Christian guy is kind of strange. At first, he's being all Christ like, then, he's beating some guy up!
I like how everyone is instantly immersed in survival. But when others attack them, it's like it's a real thing. If I were there, I'd be killin it!

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

If I were placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days, I would probably be okay for a while, (as long as it wasnt a zombie plague instead of the flu) but eventually it might end up making me crazy. The abilities that I would bring are my hostility and ability to build and construct. When that huge mob of people came, their reaction to them made me sick. Im too mad they waited until they got inside to get violent. Had I been there, the moment the first spray of mace was fired into the air, some skulls would have been getting cracked. This is supposed to be a simulation as in what you would do if this were real and theyre being nice? I dont think so. Also, I would use my hostility as a motivator. George was really disgusting me. Everyone should have been pitching in but this bum wanted to go take a nap. Smh. I would have told him to get off his lazy behind and get to work like everybody else instead of just whispering it behind his back. Its supposed to be a group effort, not just every man for themselves. My building skills would be useful for re-constructing that leaky roof and maybe building some sort of security for the entrance that the intruders keep coming through. Overall, I really like this show. . . except for the invadors part. Oh and another thing, I dont understand why they didnt hide the supplies in a different place? Of course the invadors are gonna go look in their shelter for supplies first. . . eh whatever. =)

-LondyLou

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londylou on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote:OMG! this is like the best tv I have seen since LOST. Ok, so if I were on The Colony, I would be a good asset. I know how to solve problems and calmly discuss options, and I can think critically. I know how to save things, and I know alot about survival techniques.
Now, about these characters! Reno (the rugged beauty) is like the leader of everyone, and he seems to be listened to the most. The Christian guy is kind of strange. At first, he's being all Christ like, then, he's beating some guy up!
I like how everyone is instantly immersed in survival. But when others attack them, it's like it's a real thing. If I were there, I'd be killin it!

Totally agree on the Lost thing!!! And I was thinking the exact same thing about the Christian dude. Didnt he beat up and cuss at one of the people from the first invasion? From the way he was in the isolation room at first talking about how God is gonna help him and whatnot, I was shocked that he was acting like that lol.

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm

I like how the group was slowly coming together and accepting each other as individuals (some what) They are kinda starting to bond, which is good when you have to live with them for 50+ days. If I was in the colony with them I could try and help build things and help to try and catch fish. I may be small but I'm strong to a extent. tongue I could be used as a diversion if needed for everyone to get away and could have some knowledge good or useful to everyone

smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Being placed in a situation like this would be difficult on anyone mentally and physically. The 72 hours in isolation beforehand would drive me nuts as I don't care for that much alone time. I think that after getting into the right mindset, I would be able to help figure out how to solve problems like converting the buildings into places suitable to live in. I would also be good at figuring out how to find sources of food and water. I would also be able to help build a fire. Very Happy . Even though I am not that big in size, I could hold my own against other colonies that would try to come and take over.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  20north_star12 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 pm

smiley11 wrote:I like how the group was slowly coming together and accepting each other as individuals (some what) They are kinda starting to bond, which is good when you have to live with them for 50+ days. If I was in the colony with them I could try and help build things and help to try and catch fish. I may be small but I'm strong to a extent. tongue I could be used as a diversion if needed for everyone to get away and could have some knowledge good or useful to everyone

I agree that it's a good idea for them to bond. The situation would be so much worse if they spent a lot of time arguing and disagreeing. The stress would definitly be a big diversion from the main issues at hand. I too posted about my size and strength so I would like to commend you on adding that as well.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mexicanapplethief on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:00 pm

"The Colony" was a fairly easy viewing, however, the whole fight scene in part 4 was just so slow and drained of any reality that it destroyed the integrity of the experiment, there would not have been any survivors. I realize it's just TV and all but I really wish someone would just sign to an ethics-free contract and have anything go, not that I'm just morbid enough to watch people die on TV for fun, but simply to see what would happen, even though it is most likely that a 3:1 invader to survivor ratio would end in death for the survivors. I really like some of the ways they handled meeting basic needs, however, I also thought their organization was terrible. Some of the solutions were awful as well. The skills of the people were warped, absolutely not a representation of what would have really happened, but then again, we can't test this, interesting piece of media though...

If I were placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days, I think I would be a great asset to the group, that is, if it were pre-established as an egalitarian group and that all suggestions would be voted upon and open to the group. I think I would bring a variety of abilities to the group. I have experience with barebone camping, going out into the wilderness and doing exactly what theyre doing just without a**hole marauders, although with how fake it was and how limited they were, I guess raccoons are about as bad as those guys lol. But seriously, I am basically George but not a lazy speed bump on the survivor's road to success. I have a lot of experience with building things from spare parts and other things. If I were at the helm of that operation the needs would have been met a little differently.

My advice to the group
The survivors used sand and charred wood with a wedding dress to create a water filtration system, they collected from the river and from rain.

I think this idea is fine and good, however, they may not have enough charred wood to last them. To understand water purification is to describe the process. You see, the sand really isn't all that important to the process of purification, the sand is really just to catch large chunks of foreign material. The charcoal however is the part where I scratched my head, how are they going to keep using this purifier if all the houses weren't burnt down? Do they have enough structure made of wood that they can afford to char? I think not, The only reason charcoal purification works is because it adsorbs into the charred surface. This happens because the ravaged surface of the charcoal on a molecular level is full of cracks and trenches, as other small molecular objects pass by, the charcoal sucks it in, filling those holes, as the holes fill, the extra particles begin to leak out, making the charcoal useless, causing the discarding of all the sand and eventually the cloth that was used, it's just not a great idea, they could have used something that consists of larger grains, that way it wouldn't have to be discarded as often. Using roof shingles with 4 medium sized rocks to form a funnel within a bucket might be a good idea. The funnel would speed up filtration and allow for more to be done in the meantime, nailing a wooden V shape on the roof that lead into 2 large containers, automated to drain into a vortex container would allow the people to be out and about doing other things as only a few sat back and held guard. Oh and by the way, self defense? Yeah, with me, they would have used that snakeskin to make a bow string, with bow and arrow they can hunt more efficiently, in draining the snake of oil, the oil could be used for various things, the model might need some moisturizing, who knows. I would organize a scavenging crew, use job rotation and start to dig irrigation ditches to drain certain parts of the stream, that way fish would swim through shallow, clear water, making collection easy and less time consuming. You could even end a ditch with a collection net, and with timing you could trap masses of fish in a net. Shelter, as far as this goes, I was somewhat satisfied with the survivors efforts, but with the tent it was just too much of an eyesore for looters to ignore, the first thing I would have done is made a canopy at the top if the roof of the safehouse with it and bent it into a half circle, shoving excess water out of a window or cracked siding and into a collection area. The survivors are smart enough to cover fire. Laughing

Sadly, it is just too easy to combat a large mass versus a smaller group in MY scenario, simply design the situation to where your valuables are at the end of a narrower area, hence, thinning numbers similar to the situation of "300." The spartan/persian conflict. I think they couldve handled the situation better but, not a disaster. With a stronger sense of government and organization, they couldve gotten a lot farther.

mexicanapplethief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WHAT WOULD I DO????

Post  GummyBearLove on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:48 pm

So as i was sitting here and after i read this question i immediately thought..so im in this place for 50+ days...cool..NOT!!...OMG IM GONNA DIE..!!!!! Smile but i don't think that's the case at all now. I think that after we have been in this world of ours with access to so much and have basically whatever we want at that moment whether its food, water, or just to talk to our friends, we always have that option. I think anyone put in that situation would automatically think they wont survive. But i think if its a life or death situation, anyone would do anything to survive. But i think if i was placed in this situation it would probably take me a few days (or weeks..lol ) to adjust. I think that because me personally use my phone at every minute of the day and i think it would take a minute to get out of that habit. I also like to take showers so the whole no running water thing MAY not be the greatest thing lol. But I think eventually I would do whatever it takes so that I can survive.
I think i have many good abilities to bring to the group. I can swim good so that would help us when we need to go hunt for fish. I also think i am pretty strong Smile ...so I think if we needed to lift heavy stuff or whatever i could help and not just sit and look pretty Smile. I also think im good at following directions, and being helpful so i think that would be a good fit..however...please don't put me in that situation. I would rather stay at home and be able to text and call freely

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:24 am

The most important of the priorities is water. Without it the survivors would soon be sluggish and irritable. The least of there worries should be fire. Many meals don't need to be heated and some fresh water supplies may be findable.

Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Leading Role

Post  animalluver on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:45 am

I think I would do fairly well in a situation like that. I have had some outdoor training; I've been camping a lot. I know how to make a fire and cook over a fire. I'm very smart. I'm good at thnking of quick, efficient ways to solve a problem. I work well as a leader. I'm good at bossing people around to get the job done that needs to be done. I am not afraid to people someone in their place. I'm not afraid to get done what needs to be done. While the girly girls worry about breaking a nail or getting dirty, I'll be helpin the dudes fix our problems. I would definatly have a lot to offer the group with these characteristics of mine.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water and shelter first

Post  whippersnappkid on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 am

I believe that everything the team covered in The Colony was important, overall I think that finding water is the most important. Followed right after by security and shelter. As soon as I had an encountering with a hostile outsider, I would have started to find weapons and protection. It isn't good when you work hard to find water and food, just to have it stolen.

whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:39 am

londylou wrote:If I were placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days, I would probably be okay for a while, (as long as it wasnt a zombie plague instead of the flu) but eventually it might end up making me crazy. The abilities that I would bring are my hostility and ability to build and construct. When that huge mob of people came, their reaction to them made me sick. Im too mad they waited until they got inside to get violent. Had I been there, the moment the first spray of mace was fired into the air, some skulls would have been getting cracked. This is supposed to be a simulation as in what you would do if this were real and theyre being nice? I dont think so. Also, I would use my hostility as a motivator. George was really disgusting me. Everyone should have been pitching in but this bum wanted to go take a nap. Smh. I would have told him to get off his lazy behind and get to work like everybody else instead of just whispering it behind his back. Its supposed to be a group effort, not just every man for themselves. My building skills would be useful for re-constructing that leaky roof and maybe building some sort of security for the entrance that the intruders keep coming through. Overall, I really like this show. . . except for the invadors part. Oh and another thing, I dont understand why they didnt hide the supplies in a different place? Of course the invadors are gonna go look in their shelter for supplies first. . . eh whatever. =)

I completely agree with you. And LOL about the zombie part. George was SO lazy. It got on my nerves. The other people annoyed me when they didn't say anything to him. And your right; it should be a group effort. Its like, okay so either work together and survive, or you can try to be a punk and go off by yourself, and you'll basically be screwed. Sounds fun, huh? The people on this show are so dumb that it doesn't even seem real.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

You make a good point about the security; it is important. But you NEED food and water to survive. You can't build a shelter if your dead from starvation or thirstiness. And if you think about it, would you ever REALLY be secure in the wild? Especially when you have NO idea whats out there or what could happen to you. What I would do is have the group split into two groups; one that works to get the food, and one that builds the shelter. Then, you'll have a some security and some food. Maybe that's just me though Cool

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top