3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Suga-Mama on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 pm

calientelabios234 wrote:1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

The first things the colonists did was find shelter, food and water, which are the basics of human survival. Personally, water is the most important, because as Ms. Hancock stated... humans can go a month without food but only a week without water! I think they did a better job of priorites than what I would have done. If I was in the colony I would have tried to strategize what was more important but I do not think i could have handled living without running water, ready to eat food, electricity, a phone, and a Serta matress!
scratch That is kind of sad. Are you saying that you can't survive one day without you matress? I believe that after about a three days, your survival instincts would kick in and you would be more worried about your next meal rather than a matress. I know I would. Razz
avatar
Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

security=higher priority

Post  penguin94 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 pm

heyitssharkweek wrote: Had I been a part of the colony, security would have had much more emphasis. I would not necessarily have made it a higher priority than anything else, but I would have most definitely brought it up and stressed creating some sort of security 'system'. In all honesty, it was one of the first things I thought of as I began to watch 'The Colony'.

i agree with you that they should have stressed security alot more because they barely survived with the first incident. two of their colony had to be quarentined and if the invaders had come while they were seperated from the rest of the colony, there would have been some major problems. if they had been better prepared and had a strategy for how to deal with these invaders and protect themselves from them, they most likely have not been placed in such a vulnerable situation.
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

volunteering

Post  penguin94 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:
This is one show I would not volunteer for. Just due the stuggle and environment they were in I know I wouldn't last. Crying or Very sad

i might volunteer for it because i know that i could possibly survive, but after it was over, i would not be the same. physically, i might be stronger from lifting things and having to build stuff, but emotionally and meltally, i would have a breakdown. i could not survive all of that stress everyday for 50 days. i would try, but probably epically fail in the end. they are so brave to do that! it makes me wonder what their families think of them. are they proud? or do they think they were stupid for doing it?
avatar
penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. The officials in the video said security is one of your main priorities. How are you supposed to cook and boil water if all of your materials are gone. Cooking food and dishes would be one of my least concerns because you can go for a month without food. The colonists should get their priorities straight if they want to survive.

your right they should have been set up security. that should have been the first thing they did after getting there supplies. i think that they werent thinking straight.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:If i were to be in the situation where I'm in that environment for 50 days i think i would be able to bring a number of things. I would be able to help in the construction area since i help me dad rehab buildings. I would also be able to bring a good sense of humor for the times when we just need to let off some steam. I also would be able to bring these hands to the people who would try to take our food, or medical supplies. Last but not least i would be able to help with the fishing since i have a good amount of experience with that.
lol! you have some great qualities to bring to the colony. if i was to go do something like that i would be sure to take you with me lol.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  iluvowls on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:19 pm

If I were in the situation that the people in The Colony were in, i would feel very uncomfortable and I would not be able to handle it very easily. I am a pretty girly girl and i would be terrified of things like the intruders and having to drink dirty water and sleeping in a dump that leaks. If I were there with any men, i would rely on them to do most of the work and I would try to make the place more like home. While the men hunted for food and protected our area, I would clean the building we all had to stay in as best as possible, organize our belongings to make us feel more at home, and cook any food that the men caught. Once in a while if I had little left to do, I would help the men fish because that is one thing I love to do and am skilled at.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  iluvowls on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:If i were to be in the situation where I'm in that environment for 50 days i think i would be able to bring a number of things. I would be able to help in the construction area since i help me dad rehab buildings. I would also be able to bring a good sense of humor for the times when we just need to let off some steam. I also would be able to bring these hands to the people who would try to take our food, or medical supplies. Last but not least i would be able to help with the fishing since i have a good amount of experience with that.


I think your idea of rebuilding the building is a great idea. 50 days is a long time to live somewhere and it is definitely necessary to live in a a sturdy, comfortable home. This also goes along with my idea of making the place feel more at home by doing things like decorating and organizing the belongings nicely. I am also a great fisher and I think it is really good to be able to be good at something that could at some point determine whether you live or die.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  iluvowls on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Richiee12 wrote: The security would probably be the most important priority. You never know when you will need to defend yourself of anything. People can come up on you from behind, or catch you off guard when you least expect it. In this scenario, the colonists didn't know who was in the area, or rather if anybody was even in the area. They're in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar things, no one has any idea of what's around. At any given time someone could have attacked in which they did. Without the security the first time the "wanderers" would have taken all the colonists sources. Even the second time without security the "wanderers" probably would've got away with a lot more seeing that no one was there to protect it plus there was at least 15 people with them so each person could've grabbed one thing.


I totally agree that security is a main priority. However, I don't see how they could have protected themselves. They were clearly outnumbered by the invaders and they had no way of setting up any type of alarm system and they really had no real weapons to defend themselves easily. I do think that the second invasion could have been prevented if the colonists had not given the first three people the milk because obviously that shows that they had stuff to give. It just goes to show that can't trust people to not take a mile after you give them an inch.

iluvowls

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Security y Food es muy importante!!

Post  Flipper on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 pm

After watching the videos I feel that in order to stay organized and healthy, u must keep your fort secured. In order to stay sane and healthy you need food/ clean water. I think the colonist misjudged the amount of food they had in the first episode. They needed to find and preserve more food. Securtiy will enable everyone to move on to different areas and be able to progress in building a strong village. The main things I would prioritize if i was in the same situation is security, organization, food and water.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response to Survial Post

Post  NorthStar on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 pm

Admin wrote:Watch four excerpts from Discovery Channel's The Colony.

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 23 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 24 at 11:59 pm

I feel that if I was in that similar scenario for 50 days I would bring a lot of abiities to the table for the group. I would bring my survial skills my abillity to work on my feet. My great social skill that would allow us to deal with conferation more effectively. Also my strength and size would due much good for security of the Colony. I think that all of these qualities would due good for the survial of the Colony and I also think I would be a great additon to the Coloney reality T.V. show.
avatar
NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Richiee12 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Hollywood wrote:Wow this experiment is crazy! If I was placed in this situation for 50 days I would start to get crabby and irritated with everyone around me. But as soon I get adjusted I would try to take charge. .

Me too. I hate being around people too long. For instance, lets take school. . I dont like it, its too many people and too many of the same people. As far as taking charge, I'm great at that. I can keep a task going and get it completed well before due date. To me the colonists moved a little too slow, pick up the pace and get it done. Eat, socialize, and sleep some other time.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Richiee12 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Siillee-Differenter wrote:
This is one show I would not volunteer for. Just due the stuggle and environment they were in I know I wouldn't last. Crying or Very sad

I'm with you on this one, especially since no money is involved, nor is it being done for a cause. That would be myself under a state of depression, and then going in to quarantine would really stress me out. Twelve hours of isolation is too long, especially under those predicaments. Volunteers for this show have to be really daring, courageous, and adventurous. Sadly none of these describe me.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am

iluvowls wrote:If I were in the situation that the people in The Colony were in, i would feel very uncomfortable and I would not be able to handle it very easily. I am a pretty girly girl and i would be terrified of things like the intruders and having to drink dirty water and sleeping in a dump that leaks. If I were there with any men, i would rely on them to do most of the work and I would try to make the place more like home. While the men hunted for food and protected our area, I would clean the building we all had to stay in as best as possible, organize our belongings to make us feel more at home, and cook any food that the men caught. Once in a while if I had little left to do, I would help the men fish because that is one thing I love to do and am skilled at.

I can see where your coming from when you say that you would not be comfortable in that situation because it is going to be very hard on them and anyone who tried to do what they are doing. I also would be ok with what you said when you said that while the men were out you would be cleaning the house because that house needed a lot of cleaning and since the women did not go with the men for most of the work that would even out the load a little.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  heyitssharkweek on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 am

timmy buck buck wrote:If I was on "the colony" I would offer a good swimming skill for fish. By doing that i can use my super sharp teeth to strangle the fish and then use my teeth as a knife to cut fish open.
\

While I do agree that swimming is an important and useful skill, I do not believe you took into account the fact that there are also alligators (crocodiles?) and water dwelling snakes in the canal, as well as fish. Maybe you are courageous enough to take on these animals, but I know I am not! You would possibly be risking your life swimming in that canal. Also, swimming, making movements in the water, might scare the fish away! I don't mean to sound negative, because your teeth and knife still offer great use! Very Happy

heyitssharkweek

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 am

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. The officials in the video said security is one of your main priorities. How are you supposed to cook and boil water if all of your materials are gone. Cooking food and dishes would be one of my least concerns because you can go for a month without food. The colonists should get their priorities straight if they want to survive.

I agree with you if they would have made security a bigger priority then a lot of stuff that happened could have been prevented. If they would have had tighter security then when the mob of people came they would not have been able to take their water and medical supplies, so it would have put a veil of protection over the things that they already collected because that mob can just come back and it would simply be a repeat of what just happened. That would not be good for them because it would waste all those hours they spent getting their food and water.
avatar
Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Flipper on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 am

krazedxasylum wrote:So tis is a crazy experiment. But, if i was placed in this environment for fifty days, i would do just fine. I would also bring some good qualities. First of all, my humor would somewhat make the time pass because if everyone its stressed out, things may become chaotic so humor is a type of coping skill. Also, i am quick on my feet which allows for me to think fast when emergencies arrive such as needing fire or when the snake appeared, how to handle that issue. Finally, i am very organized, so i could plan out certain things, such as when they needed to map out a good way to slit the ninety gallons of water. These are the traits that i would contribute.
\

I completely agree that organization skills are needed in order to survive and make do with what you have. Also being quick on your feet and quick to react in times of crisis can really keep your team together and alive. A good sense of humor is neccassary but it is not a skill bruh bruh. afro

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  heyitssharkweek on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

Richiee12 wrote: The security would probably be the most important priority. You never know when you will need to defend yourself of anything. People can come up on you from behind, or catch you off guard when you least expect it.

In all honesty, I feel that a lot of people have only brought up security as being so important because the Colonists were so obviously lacking in that area. Security is one of the last things you need to develop in a real survival situation. I feel that you actually gave a good reason for making security a priority. Humans have a desire, a psychological need, to feel secure and safe and you actually brought up WHY security is really important versus those who only thought security was so important because of the Colonists failure. Kudos to you. Very Happy

heyitssharkweek

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

>:)

Post  Flipper on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. T

Yea they definately put too much time into finding food and not enough time into making sure that the food they find will be safe. They should have found shelter and starting figuring out ways to keep invaders a good distance a way from their fort. When the invaders attacked for the first time, they did not know what hit them and they payed the price for it.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:56 am

penguin94 wrote:if i was in the colony, the one priority that would be last on my list would be making fire. fire is good and all in its use for cooking and purifying water, but it isn't as essential as finding a place to sleep, protecting yourself, collecting water and food.


I agree with you because if you have a fire lit and someone comes and invades your territory they are going to take it because you have no protection. But wait...wait...OO look!! You have a fire!!!...No... fire is not needed...lol Very Happy

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Suga-Mama wrote: Cool First of all, that was really careless of them to leave all of their resources out in the open. It took them too long to secure everything and everyone. The first thing that I would have done, as soon as we landed, would have been to set up some type of security system. They should have appointed watchmen, or set up a gate, or fence, or some sort of boader marker. Also, housing all of the medicine and supplies in one house was stupid. Obviously, people are going to suspct that something valuable is in there, especially when you make it so obvious that it is off limits. It only intices people to steal something if they can't have it.

I agree with you. They had all their supplies in one building and when the guy asked "whats in there" and they didnt tell him he only got suspicious and targeted that building to rob. I would have seperated everything to at least slow robbers down or confuse them

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 pm

krazedxasylum wrote:
gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on.

dude i totally agree. They definately should have not waited a whole day. But even when they did start working on security, they should have done more than what they did. What would you have done for the security.

What I would have done was set up watches. For example when they were cooking everyone was doing nothing. Then they didnt start their plan of "defense" until the people got there. They should have had a watchman and alarm like maybe banging on a car hood or something loud to alert the others that people were coming.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 pm

iluvowls wrote: I am a pretty girly girl and i would be terrified of things like the intruders and having to drink dirty water and sleeping in a dump that leaks. If I were there with any men, i would rely on them to do most of the work and I would try to make the place more like home.


I disagree with your respone because when it all comes down to it, if it comes to life or death situations the girly girl will disappear and you will do what you need to survive. And also you shouldn't just depend on the men to do all the work. If everyone does an equal amount of work, you may be able to accomplish more.

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Richiee12 wrote:
If I was involved in this project, medical assistance wouldn't have been one of priorities. I can do without medical aid. ?

I don't completely agree with you on this one. Even though medical need woudn't be my first priortiy, it would be on my list. Without thermometers or even bandaids viruses and bacteria could travel alot faster. Alot of diseases and such don't show any symptoms of being present, so you could be passing it on with physical contact. It's important to be aware of medical things so that you know you are still healthy and capable of working and helping out and not putting others at risk.

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You &nd Me BOTH!

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 pm

iluvowls wrote:If I were in the situation that the people in The Colony were in, i would feel very uncomfortable and I would not be able to handle it very easily. I am a pretty girly girl and i would be terrified of things like the intruders and having to drink dirty water and sleeping in a dump that leaks. If I were there with any men, i would rely on them to do most of the work and I would try to make the place more like home. .

I couldn't agree with you more on this one. I would have paniced and probably tried to litterallly kill one of the people who invaded the colony and stole some of thier things. I probably would have refused to even drink the water that was filtered and sleep in those horrible conditons. If I where to see that snake in the middle of the floor that would have just about it for me. i also agree with you about depending on the men toprotect and do the diificult work. I mean ehat else are they there for? LoL Wink

Siillee-Differenter

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum