3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Admin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

Watch four excerpts from Discovery Channel's The Colony.
Episode 1 - Part 1 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZklRSo2Ppek .
Episode 1 - Part 2 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSX4spUB0A .
Episode 1 - Part 3 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDR8oAT3bUo .
And Episode 1 - Part 4 is located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ehAf3sup8 .

Each video segment is approximately 10 minutes in length. Reflect on the videos, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 23 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 24 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

wow oh wow

Post  krazedxasylum on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:33 pm

So tis is a crazy experiment. But, if i was placed in this environment for fifty days, i would do just fine. I would also bring some good qualities. First of all, my humor would somewhat make the time pass because if everyone its stressed out, things may become chaotic so humor is a type of coping skill. Also, i am quick on my feet which allows for me to think fast when emergencies arrive such as needing fire or when the snake appeared, how to handle that issue. Finally, i am very organized, so i could plan out certain things, such as when they needed to map out a good way to slit the ninety gallons of water. These are the traits that i would contribute.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Priority Check

Post  Richiee12 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:18 pm

The security would probably be the most important priority. You never know when you will need to defend yourself of anything. People can come up on you from behind, or catch you off guard when you least expect it. In this scenario, the colonists didn't know who was in the area, or rather if anybody was even in the area. They're in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar things, no one has any idea of what's around. At any given time someone could have attacked in which they did. Without the security the first time the "wanderers" would have taken all the colonists sources. Even the second time without security the "wanderers" probably would've got away with a lot more seeing that no one was there to protect it plus there was at least 15 people with them so each person could've grabbed one thing.
If I was involved in this project, medical assistance wouldn't have been one of priorities. I can do without medical aid. If bleeding becomes a factor wrap something tight around it to stop the bleeding. Medical relief was hardly used in the first four episodes of "The Colony." You can make do without it. Food, water, shelter, and security is a must. In order to survive you HAVE to have those things. Whats the worst that can happen that can cause you to REALLY need to depend on medical aid? Stitches? Well you cant perform your own surgery for that now can you?

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Priorities...

Post  heyitssharkweek on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:39 pm

I think that the colonists had their priorities straight, for the most part. Inventory of supplies, fire acquisition and finding/creating shelter are often the first three things (in that order) someone should do in a basic emergency survival situation. Finding food (that is not procured during the inventory) and creating a security 'system' come directly after.
In every survival situation, it is important to take a deep breath and asses your situation/take an inventory of supplies and assess surroundings, first and foremost. The colonists did this, which greatly helped them in the long run. They completed basic survival tasks in an appropriate order and fashion with the exception of security. Security was not stressed until it was too late.
Had I been a part of the colony, security would have had much more emphasis. I would not necessarily have made it a higher priority than anything else, but I would have most definitely brought it up and stressed creating some sort of security 'system'. In all honesty, it was one of the first things I thought of as I began to watch 'The Colony'. Also, there is no one thing I would have not made a priority, that they did, though I would have also made the acquisition of fire a stronger priority. It is necessary for heat, to make clean water and to cook food, as well as having a calming effect- psychologically necessary in such a chaotic, uncontrolled situation.

heyitssharkweek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

They messed up

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. The officials in the video said security is one of your main priorities. How are you supposed to cook and boil water if all of your materials are gone. Cooking food and dishes would be one of my least concerns because you can go for a month without food. The colonists should get their priorities straight if they want to survive.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The scary future...

Post  tweetywizard on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

The videos i watched were very interesting but yet they make me think about if this is really our future. Everything they have to worry about everyday, i don't know if i would be able to do that. It's so stressing and scary. You never know if you are going to be able to eat or if outsiders will come and try to take your resources.For someone to go through this they have to be physically and mentally strong. They also have to be able to think on their feet so that when tough situations occur they will be able to handle it without wasting much time.
The prioriteis that they people on the show had were good. I think that my first priority would be water. It would be water because you cannot last seven days without it. So i would focus on that first and then everything. The priority I would have last is fire. That would be last because you could have a fire and then get attacked for your supplies, have no kind of weapons or anything to protect yourself and your territory. But all the while you still have that good old fire!!... There is nothing wrong with eating cold food. When you need light you do what you need to do in the the sun and when the sun goes down you rest your body Exclamation Wink

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Priority One: Deception

Post  Suga-Mama on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Cool First of all, that was really careless of them to leave all of their resources out in the open. It took them too long to secure everything and everyone. The first thing that I would have done, as soon as we landed, would have been to set up some type of security system. They should have appointed watchmen, or set up a gate, or fence, or some sort of boader marker. Also, housing all of the medicine and supplies in one house was stupid. Obviously, people are going to suspct that something valuable is in there, especially when you make it so obvious that it is off limits. It only intices people to steal something if they can't have it. They should have hidden all of their valuables somewhere, possibly underground, a safe distance from the main house, where all the activity takes place. That way, when people come looking for trouble, your things will be hidden and guarded. No one would ever suspect that you would hide your resources in some far off house, underground. It is safer and if you make it look like you have nothing, people will leave you alone. I believe that I could bring a more creative mind to the group. I could stategize ways to disguise, guard, and improve our living conditions, but I am not sure I could survive for 50 days and nights with all of the bugs, snakes, spiders, and alligators. That stuff is scary. Also, what is wrong with that lazy guy? He doesn't deserve any dinner. Smile Razz

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

keep going til muh last breath.... SURVIVE

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

If I was put in this situation then I would do all I can to protect myself and my group. I would fight for all the things I have to survive. I would have the ability to think of alot of things we need gone before it would happen like the whole protection thing, they should have made some spears, have rocks more shovels and some other types of weapons to keep people from taking all their things. i would hve also brought the ability to contruct and make something big out of nothing. I would have gave the the view of a bird find them a way to the roof so that they could have saw those people coming and be prepared for them. I would have showed them that they could have had a place to hide their stuff under the floor board or something. I would have also brought the knowlegde of nursing I know more about helping people with problem than anything. I not going to front this would be the biggest challege you would ever have to do.

tw33tybirdn3rd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

o_O

Post  Hollywood on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Wow this experiment is crazy! If I was placed in this situation for 50 days I would start to get crabby and irritated with everyone around me. But as soon I get adjusted I would try to take charge. I would bring some good skills to the colony such as survival skills I learned from my dad and my quick thinking. I am also good at solving problems and working with other people. If a job needs to be done, I would use my best effort to get it done to where it benifits us all.

Hollywood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - The Colony

Post  Hollywood on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. The officials in the video said security is one of your main priorities. How are you supposed to cook and boil water if all of your materials are gone. Cooking food and dishes would be one of my least concerns because you can go for a month without food. The colonists should get their priorities straight if they want to survive.

I agree with you that they should have set up security right away but they did not know that there would be other people out there. Also, when your put into an environment like that, usually a persons first priority isnt to get security set up right away, but to find out how you are going to get food and water to survive.

Hollywood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Priority... or Not?!

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:43 pm

The colonists said that they had five basic priorities at the beginning of the experiment. They were food, water, fire, shelter, and security. They handled everything very well except for the security. They were already set with some food to last atleast a week. They found a water source and picked a decent abandoned building. They also found a way to make fire. I believe the most important priority was security. If you are able to obtain all the other essentials, what good is it unless you can protect it so you will not end up right back where you started? The colonists did not think as well as they should have about securing their supplies and it ended being stolen. The lease important priority would have been food. Food is important, but it should be last on the list considering the fact that you have more of it than any other supplies. The portion of food that the colonists were given should have been used while they focused on other necessities, like security. Then they could look for more food. Razz

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

priorities!!

Post  penguin94 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:55 pm

i think the most important priority was finding shelter because 1. they needed some place to sleep, 2. they needed protection from elements and invaders, and 3. they needed a place to store their stuff like food and medicines. if i was in the colony, the one priority that would be last on my list would be making fire. fire is good and all in its use for cooking and purifying water, but it isn't as essential as finding a place to sleep, protecting yourself, collecting water and food.

penguin94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I would not survive in the neanderthalis world

Post  timmy buck buck on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Well if i was in a secluded area with a bunch of strangers whom i never met before I would most likely hate it there. After watching the movie "predator" i don't trust people in that situation. In that movie all the test subjects on the planet backstabbed one another except for the main character and the leading woman role. I also would hate doing labor to survive in a harsh environment like that. I would also go crazy do to the fact that i don't know everyone personally and the lack of food would get to me. After 30 days I would start to think pessimistically then I would go insane, then after that id become depressed due to my situation, lastly I would become a rogue like Eli. Please keep in mind that this is only worse case scenerio and I'm just over reacting. If I was on "the colony" I would offer a good swimming skill for fish. By doing that i can use my super sharp teeth to strangle the fish and then use my teeth as a knife to cut fish open. I could also use religious guidance and preach to all the colonist. At least we could also stay sane and holy and if u dont like my religion well you don't have to listen to my preaching. Last but not least I would also bring up creative ideas for us to pass time by and i would find ways to make rationed food taste good and look delicious. These are the skills I would bring to the group and what I would do if I was in the same situaton as the colonist on the colony.

timmy buck buck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on.

dude i totally agree. They definately should have not waited a whole day. But even when they did start working on security, they should have done more than what they did. What would you have done for the security.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  krazedxasylum on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:48 pm

[quote= If I was on "the colony" I would offer a good swimming skill for fish. By doing that i can use my super sharp teeth to strangle the fish and then use my teeth as a knife to cut fish open. [/quote]

Wow thats interesting, what kind of teeth do you have. Anyway, i thought was was cleaver to teach swimming, because i started thinking about what happened if gathering food was not enough, but fishing may be an excellent source of protein as well.

krazedxasylum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

C'est excitation!!!

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 pm

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

The first things the colonists did was find shelter, food and water, which are the basics of human survival. Personally, water is the most important, because as Ms. Hancock stated... humans can go a month without food but only a week without water! I think they did a better job of priorites than what I would have done. If I was in the colony I would have tried to strategize what was more important but I do not think i could have handled living without running water, ready to eat food, electricity, a phone, and a Serta matress!

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I did not realize that at all!

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:15 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:After the watching the video I had many opinions on what I would have done in that situation. First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine. Instead they waited until when the raiders were on their doorstep to make a plan and ultimatley failed. The officials in the video said security is one of your main priorities. How are you supposed to cook and boil water if all of your materials are gone. Cooking food and dishes would be one of my least concerns because you can go for a month without food. The colonists should get their priorities straight if they want to survive.

What you are saying is so true. Security should have come first because of situations like those when people from the outside intrude! Security would have made them feel safer... and possibly some of their stuff would not have gotten stolen by the crazy people.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Suga-Mama wrote: Cool First of all, that was really careless of them to leave all of their resources out in the open. It took them too long to secure everything and everyone. The first thing that I would have done, as soon as we landed, would have been to set up some type of security system. They should have appointed watchmen, or set up a gate, or fence, or some sort of boader marker. Also, housing all of the medicine and supplies in one house was stupid. Obviously, people are going to suspct that something valuable is in there, especially when you make it so obvious that it is off limits. It only intices people to steal something if they can't have it. They should have hidden all of their valuables somewhere, possibly underground, a safe distance from the main house, where all the activity takes place. That way, when people come looking for trouble, your things will be hidden and guarded. No one would ever suspect that you would hide your resources in some far off house, underground. It is safer and if you make it look like you have nothing, people will leave you alone. I believe that I could bring a more creative mind to the group. I could stategize ways to disguise, guard, and improve our living conditions, but I am not sure I could survive for 50 days and nights with all of the bugs, snakes, spiders, and alligators. That stuff is scary. Also, what is wrong with that lazy guy? He doesn't deserve any dinner. Smile Razz

Suga Mama, Suga Mama, Suga Mama. That is a simple strategy that the so called people with "skill" should have thought of. They should Take care of the resources and they should have had a rotation system so the resources were protected at all times!!! I agree that guy did not deserve any dinner. Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes Idea

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:04 pm

gamerdude94 wrote: First of all the colonists waited a whole day and night before setting up security. Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there

I totally agree. The colonists messed up first by not thinking of security right off the bat. Then they ignored the warning. I say that security (along with water) was the most important of all the necessities. No matter what you scrounge up for yourself, it will do no good unless you can protect it. Exclamation

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:09 pm

gamerdude94 wrote: Security should have been the biggest priority which they did not focus on. Then when the first people came they did nothing to set up security. That should have been the warning right then and there to make a secure plan that could avoid contact as much as possible in effort to avoid quarantine.
I agree with you I think they should have made security first. I think it was stupid of them to leave it to last.

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Suga-Mama wrote: 8)They should have appointed watchmen, or set up a gate, or fence, or some sort of boader marker. Also, housing all of the medicine and supplies in one house was stupid. Obviously, people are going to suspct that something valuable is in there, especially when you make it so obvious that it is off limits. It only intices people to steal something if they can't have it.

We are on the same page about the importance of security. cheers The colonists' current strategy of "worry about it when it happens" is not working. Watchmen definitely would have helped the colonists spot the intruders a lot sooner. They need to start coming up with plans for the next time intruders come to take their supplies.

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm

tweetywizard wrote: i don't know if i would be able to do that. It's so stressing and scary. You never know if you are going to be able to eat or if outsiders will come and try to take your resources.For someone to go through this they have to be physically and mentally strong. They also have to be able to think on their feet so that when tough situations occur they will be able to handle it without wasting much time.
I agree with you but if your are with the right people and learn the simple skills you will be able to make it. You would have to be mentally strong if it happened to us. If you keep moving forward everything will go great.

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 pm

If i were to be in the situation where I'm in that environment for 50 days i think i would be able to bring a number of things. I would be able to help in the construction area since i help me dad rehab buildings. I would also be able to bring a good sense of humor for the times when we just need to let off some steam. I also would be able to bring these hands to the people who would try to take our food, or medical supplies. Last but not least i would be able to help with the fishing since i have a good amount of experience with that.

Yofeetstink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Can you say LOCO !

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm

[left]The most important priority the colonist made during the beginning time on the compound was water. They thought right away about how they were going to stay hydrated and what would be the easiest resource to gather up. They had milk already stored but the human body does not go to strong after a while with out water. It was not very hard for the colonists to figure that they could get the water from the river near by; they were smart enough to know that drinking straight from that river was not going to be safe at all. It honestly would have took me a while to figure out how to get the water to filter the best way. As seen it took the colonists no time to work together and figure out a plan. There really isn't a priority of theirs that wouldn't be one of mine. I thought everything that they focused on was important and should've been a priority. Heath, security, shelter, and resources are the main things in life that should be a priority of everyone.
This is one show I would not volunteer for. Just due the stuggle and environment they were in I know I wouldn't last. Crying or Very sad

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm

cheers THANK YOU! What was their problem. They just let some strangers walk right up and threaten them without trying to set up some sort of security afterward. That is one of the dumbest things you can do in a survival situation. Yes, water and shelter are important, but there is no point in those resources if someone is just going to come up and steal it. You need security. bounce

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top