5th Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5th Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 am

Watch Good Morning America's "Bottled Water Under the Microscope" (located on My Favorites page). Then read "Bottled Water Backlash" at http://www.emagazine.com/view/?4186 and Newsweek's "Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap?" at http://www.newsweek.com/2007/12/05/is-bottled-water-better-than-tap.html . Reflect on the videos & articles, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?

2. How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 15 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 17 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

place title here....

Post  whatitdochickado on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 pm

--Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?--

When we drink outta plastic water bottles, people don't re use them. The plastic is mostly thrown away and not recycled. When it isn't recycled it ends up in a dump somewhere that is smelly sticky where no one wants to go near. AND we are wasting water that could be provided for the peoples of the world who don't have a good, clean source of water, like the people in the documentary that Jay-z made and we saw in class. If we recycle every bottle we use we'll have a better environment, better yet, we would use reuseable bottles that you can buy at target or walgreens to have water. All you have to do is wash those out, no biggie. but use a little bit of water instead of a whole bunch. soooo yeah, keep the faucets off, recycle them bottles and save the water so people don't have to walk miles upon miles just to get 'fresh' water.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1. Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?

Post  smiley11 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 pm

So many people drink out of plasitc water bottles and they just leave them lying around when they are finished with them. People can use plastic water bottles for a couple of uses afer they have been washed. There are a couple of alturnatives that we the people can use to reduse the waist of water and plastic bottles. We can use are own re usable water bottles and only using as much water as we need. This may help with the water problem in Africac and help them get fresh water. REDUSE RE USE AND RECYLE!! :]
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More bottles, Less Babies!

Post  earthycolors on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?

Answer:
There are many risks involved with drinking bottled water. For one, 2 out of 10 plastic water bottles are recycled, so what happens to the other 8? They get sent to landfills and sit there fer centuries until they breakdown into smaller and smaller bits that get eaten up by birds and fish, who think that it is food, the same fish we catch and eat later on. We are ultimately hurting ourselves but people just don't wanna do anything about it.

Another risk is that most plastic bottles have harmful chemicals in the shell that, if heated up, can leak into the water we end up drinking. Those chemicals are linked to a higher risk for breast and prostate cancer. Just another reason to cut down on the bottled water.

Even another reason is that most bottled water is only tap water that's been put through a small purification process then poured into bottles and shipped around the world for $1.50 a bottle. Why pay $1.50 for tap water in a store in a pre-determined amount when there's tap water at home for free in any amount. It all seems kinds dumb to me.

And now the healthier alternatives for you and the environment. Bringing your own tap water in a reusable bottle will reduce the amount of plastic bottles in landfills dramatically. If everybody does that, it'll stop the increasing number of bottles in landfills dead in its tracks. But, of coarse, not everybody is going to stop wasting money on bottled water and switch to tap because bottled water has a slightly better taste than tap. And though that may be true, that's why we have filters for tap water faucets. You can achieve that same bottled water taste right from your own sink and save hundreds of dollars a year at the same time. Isn't that lovely? Just getting tap water instead of bottled water can reduce the percentage in the U.S. for breast cancer and prostate cancer. Exclamation If that's not enough to get you in your car to the nearest dollar store for a re-usable bottle, then here's another fact. MORE BOTTLES, LESS BABIES! Shocked . That's right men, bottles also have a chemical in them that if heated (let's say by practicing in a field on a hot day then going for your slightly warm bottle of water afterwards), can actually lower your sperm count. If you were doubting me before, you probably look like this now silent if not this pale . Think about it...
earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5th Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  earthycolors on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:50 pm

whatitdochickado wrote:--Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?--

When we drink outta plastic water bottles, people don't re use them. The plastic is mostly thrown away and not recycled. When it isn't recycled it ends up in a dump somewhere that is smelly sticky where no one wants to go near. AND we are wasting water that could be provided for the peoples of the world who don't have a good, clean source of water, like the people in the documentary that Jay-z made and we saw in class. If we recycle every bottle we use we'll have a better environment, better yet, we would use reuseable bottles that you can buy at target or walgreens to have water. All you have to do is wash those out, no biggie. but use a little bit of water instead of a whole bunch. soooo yeah, keep the faucets off, recycle them bottles and save the water so people don't have to walk miles upon miles just to get 'fresh' water.

I agree with everything you said except 2 things. Recycled water bottles don't end up in a dump that's really "smelly and sticky", they get sent to a factory that melts them down, remakes them into new water bottles or into other plastic things or components, and sent out again. The other thing is recycling and saving water won't help the kids in Africa, it will save us money that we can use to build supplies and create wells and water towers so the poor people in Africa can drink clean, clear water and not walk mile after mile just to have some water to get by for the day. But besides that, I concur.

Last edited by earthycolors on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot info)
earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  earthycolors on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:56 pm

smiley11 wrote:So many people drink out of plasitc water bottles and they just leave them lying around when they are finished with them. People can use plastic water bottles for a couple of uses afer they have been washed. There are a couple of alturnatives that we the people can use to reduse the waist of water and plastic bottles. We can use are own re usable water bottles and only using as much water as we need. This may help with the water problem in Africac and help them get fresh water. REDUSE RE USE AND RECYLE!! :]

Exactly, except one thing. It takes money to build water towers and water wells to give a clean water supply to the people in Africa, Reducing, reusing, and recycling wont help them; it'll help us a great deal but not them. But besides that, yeah! We all have to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle if we really want to stop putting more plastic bottles in landfills to crumple up to pieces and pollute the earth. Very Happy
earthycolors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleMissSophie on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 am

Drinking bottled water has great risk than tap water. Causing infertility in women and low sperm count in men. I didn't like to hear about all the water bottles in the fields. Most bottles are not being recycled. I think more people need to know about water bottles to help this problem. Maybe schools should start teaching kids at a early about water and how it truly effects them and their environment. I like the idea of the reusable water bottles and buying your own bottle to reuse. The movie we watched in class made me feel so awful. Like i just killed a person with my bare hands. The lack of water there made me start cutting back on water at home and work.

LittleMissSophie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I like bottled water, and Mr.Chino drinks Perrier

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 pm

After watching the video, and reading the articles, I really don't think my attitude towards bottled water has changed, I think the way I approach drinking water will change. I always bring a water bottle to school, not a new bottle everyday, but the same bottle with different water. I fill it up with water from either my sink or refrigerator, and they both taste like water to me. I think that if there was a ban placed on bottled water, there would be an uprising, and what if there came a time when the country was going through a clean water crisis? where would we get the water from? Now, when there is a state of emergency, people rush to the stores to get bottled water, so I really think we need it. There's nothing wrong with drinking water from the faucet or from a filter, or the refrigerator. Now the toilet, that's different. It's like Ms. Hancock said in class: we can never create more water. The water that we have today is the same water Michael Jackson drank during his world tours(lol).
Also, it really doesnt make sense to have Fiji water sent around the world just so people who think they're all that in a bag of chips can look superior. In reality, I think people who say, "I only drink bottled water" are complete snobbish IDIOTS. Alright Im done, because Ugly Betty is coming on.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

earthycolors wrote:
whatitdochickado wrote:--Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?--

I agree with everything you said except 2 things. Recycled water bottles don't end up in a dump that's really "smelly and sticky", they get sent to a factory that melts them down, remakes them into new water bottles or into other plastic things or components, and sent out again. The other thing is recycling and saving water won't help the kids in Africa, it will save us money that we can use to build supplies and create wells and water towers so the poor people in Africa can drink clean, clear water and not walk mile after mile just to have some water to get by for the day. But besides that, I concur.

oops. did i say plastic dumps were nasty? i meant instead of them being sent to a dump instead of a factory. thanks for checking it! haha. but i agree with what you said about the wells and water towers.

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatitdochickado on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 pm

snookieluvs2tan wrote: After watching the video, and reading the articles, I really don't think my attitude towards bottled water has changed, I think the way I approach drinking water will change. I always bring a water bottle to school, not a new bottle everyday, but the same bottle with different water. I fill it up with water from either my sink or refrigerator, and they both taste like water to me. I think that if there was a ban placed on bottled water, there would be an uprising, and what if there came a time when the country was going through a clean water crisis? where would we get the water from? Now, when there is a state of emergency, people rush to the stores to get bottled water, so I really think we need it. There's nothing wrong with drinking water from the faucet or from a filter, or the refrigerator. Now the toilet, that's different. It's like Ms. Hancock said in class: we can never create more water. The water that we have today is the same water Michael Jackson drank during his world tours(lol).
Also, it really doesnt make sense to have Fiji water sent around the world just so people who think they're all that in a bag of chips can look superior. In reality, I think people who say, "I only drink bottled water" are complete snobbish IDIOTS. Alright Im done, because Ugly Betty is coming on.

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK! [: haha. you made excellent points with everything. Fiji water is a waste. there should just be one brand of water... and it shall be called.... WATER! imagine that?

whatitdochickado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Done with Plastic Bottles

Post  whippersnappkid on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I don't usually drink bottled water because I have always liked the taste of St. Louis tap water. I usually wash out plastic bottles and fill them with tap water. After reading these articles I've learned that reusing plastic bottles can cause infertillity and various cancers. I will deffinatly not be reusing water bottles anymore and will invest in a stain-less. As for bottled water, if I ever buy it I will recycle it, I don't want any of my bottles ending up in the ocean and then in the stomache of a bird.
whippersnappkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yum. Tastes Like...Water!

Post  20north_star12 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:02 pm

2. How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?

I think it's entirely stupid that people are causing such a big fuss over something that can be simply solved...RECYCLE! I doubt society would even be this worked up if humans wouldn't allow for masses of trash to be streamed into the ocean to collect and infect the animal population. I cannot say enough how much it irritates me that humans don't recycle. I don't honestly see what the big obsession with drinking bottled water is other than possibly convenience, but that just goes to show even more laziness in society. Water is water for christ's sake. I can't honestly tell the difference between types other than water directly from a well and water from a plant. I've always figured there wasn't much of a difference other than the way that they treat the water. I know that the FDA wouldn't allow companies to sell water that is taken directly from a spring. Think about it...If they did we'd all be drinking bear and fish pee. That is NOT sanitary. No Honestly, I rarely drink water. I probably drink five bottles per year and even that is rounding up. I doubt that I will ever change this habit. I just don't find water satisfying or tasteful enough. Some people are going to argue that water doesn't have a taste; however, it does have a taste just one that is indescribable. After finding out about the infertility and cancer risks, it doesn't bother me a bit. Walking in the sun or simply genetics can give me those. I don't drink out of water bottles enough to even worry about these factors.

20north_star12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Agua de botella o no?

Post  londylou on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:38 pm

How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?

This doesnt change my attitude about drinking bottled water because I dont do that in the first place. The only people in my house that drink out of water bottles is my sister and father, and they dont go out and buy a huge pack of bottled water, they just buy one bottle and keep reusing it. I never really understood the whole craze anyway. The first article stated that "It takes 15 million barrels of oil per year to make all of the plastic water bottles in America, according to the Container Recycling Institute. Sending those bottles by air and truck uses even more fossil fuel." That is so ridiculous. All of these non-renuable resources being totally wasted because people want to be upity and drink water out of a bottle that they think contains cleaner and better tasting water? Ummm what?? So you can taste the difference between water from the sink and from a bottle? Hmm. . . I sure cant.
And I already take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. I always get my water out of the tap. Also, when I do get a gatorade or something else in a plastic bottle, I always recycle it. =)

-LondyLou

londylou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Reading the articles has deffinately changed my perspective about drinking bottled water. All that I drink ever is from bottles. But not anymore. I had NO idea that tap water contained that chemical BPA. According to the emagazine article, BPA can cause infertility and increases my chance of getting breast cancer. In addition, I looked up BPA on the internet and discovered that it can also cause obesity. I don't want to be infertile, sick, or fat!!! I was under the illusion that bottled water was healthier, but now that I know about the risks it can cause, I will DEFINATELY be turning toward some of the alternatives. For instance, I could start containing my water in reusable glass bottles. I could get a tap water filter; or even just commit to drinking tap water in general. The point is that this is my body; this is my life. I need to take care of me, and now I know that drinking bottled water won't help me or the environment.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 pm

londylou wrote:This doesnt change my attitude about drinking bottled water because I dont do that in the first place. The only people in my house that drink out of water bottles is my sister and father, and they dont go out and buy a huge pack of bottled water, they just buy one bottle and keep reusing it. I never really understood the whole craze anyway. The first article stated that "It takes 15 million barrels of oil per year to make all of the plastic water bottles in America, according to the Container Recycling Institute. Sending those bottles by air and truck uses even more fossil fuel." That is so ridiculous. All of these non-renuable resources being totally wasted because people want to be upity and drink water out of a bottle that they think contains cleaner and better tasting water? Ummm what?? So you can taste the difference between water from the sink and from a bottle? Hmm. . . I sure cant.
And I already take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. I always get my water out of the tap. Also, when I do get a gatorade or something else in a plastic bottle, I always recycle it. =)

-LondyLou

You make some great points. It is rediculous that it takes that much fuel just to make something we don't need in the first place; when we could just drink tap water. And honestly, people complain about their money situation alllllll the time, and maybe they would have more money if they didn't buy so many water bottles (not saying that's true for everyone.... Our economy sucks anyway....) And as for the difference in taste, I actually DO taste a difference.... And the funny thing is that tap water tastes better to me. Bottled water tastes... old. Tap water tastes fresh and refreshes me. Good for you that you're recycling. I would recycle if I had the resources for it. I wish resources were more within reach for people OUR age.... Cuz the recycling bins at school are only for paper, and at home, we recyce only paper as well.

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WHY WASTE???

Post  GummyBearLove on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Reading these articles has defiantly changed my opinion about drinking bottled water. I mean of course im not going to say i will never ever drink bottled water every again. But i will be smart about it. 1st I don't buy on a day to day basis anyway. Why spend money on a bottle of water (which most of the money is for the plastic anyway) and only use it once, and i have a whole sink in the kitchen. Why not after use put more water in it and throw it in the freezer for some other time? According to one of the articles we read..."This week, the EPI released new data that shows that manufacturing the 29 billion plastic bottles used for water in the United States requires the equivalent of more than 17 million barrels of crude oil."... Why burn unnecessary crude oil? what will happen if we cut down on the amount of bottled water we drink as humans. And granted in some homes in the united states, the only water nearby the house is contaminated so they have no other choice, but why not reuse those same bottles for other liquids? I think more people should just buckle down and buy reusable insulated bottles, which are generally larger anyway. Although it is convenient to buy bottled water, why waste money. Its a RECESSION..!! Very Happy ..but really though..if using a plastic bottle simply recycle. its not that hard. Make America clean again. REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE..say it with me...REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE...gotta love where you live Exclamation

GummyBearLove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Customer:Can I get a water with that? Cashier:Oh sure what kind?

Post  MiszCheesekake41 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven I 've always thought spring water came from some far away spring in some mountains or something. I admit I do drink bottled water but I don't obsess over the brand. I just prefer to drink bottled water because I don't like the taste of tap water and and bottled is more conveneint. I did learn that a water purifier might help with the taste issue, so maybe instead of going out buying bottled water we can get one. One thing we do in my house is reuse our bottles. I can't change what others think about bottled water but it would be helpful to try some alternatives. Maybe reusing bottles and filling them with purified tap water. tongue

MiszCheesekake41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Communistkid on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 am

There are a number of risks that come with drinking out of plastic bottles. One would be the huge amount of pollution and waste caused by the making and subsequent mishandling of the bottles after use. Some safe and easy alternatives are simply using tap water or, if you don't like the taste buy a filter. If you do have to use a bottled water make sure to recycle it so at the very least we won't have to produce more plastic just to replace the one you threw into a garbage pit for the rest of the foreseeable future.
Communistkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crappy internet

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:48 am

Reading these articles on the truth of bottled water has actually not surprised me at all. I've already known that bottled water is just as good as tap and that's all she wrote (haha). I still think that it is pretty ridiculous that people still go around saying OH MY GOSH bottled water is so much healthier for you but in reality its not and what they are tasting is "added minerals for pleasure of the taste buds". Yes, I do think I will take full advantage of the other alternatives of drinking water because it is ridiculous to waste my moolah (money) on something that trashes oceans and kills the environment.

(I could on pull information from the second article and the video because on my computer there is such thing as emagazine)
FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Yea, most bottles will end up in dumps, land fills or in the Garbage Island and it will get really bad in a few yrs if we dont so anything about it. You are right, instead of getting bottles of water people can get the reusable ons from target or something and they arent that expesive. That way we wont have as much of bottles in landfills. That video we watch with Jay-z in class was sad because we saw what people in Africa have to do every day to just get water to drink.
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 pm

whippersnappkid wrote:I don't usually drink bottled water because I have always liked the taste of St. Louis tap water. I usually wash out plastic bottles and fill them with tap water. After reading these articles I've learned that reusing plastic bottles can cause infertillity and various cancers. I will deffinatly not be reusing water bottles anymore and will invest in a stain-less. As for bottled water, if I ever buy it I will recycle it, I don't want any of my bottles ending up in the ocean and then in the stomache of a bird.

DUde, I agree! I really like the taste of water from the faucet, and water that sits in a bottle overnight...yum. anyways, I also like using re-usable bottles because what's the point in buying a new bottle everyday? In addition to putting plastic bottles in landfills, it can get expensive. If someone spent $1.50 per day on water, that's $45 dollars per month! that can go towards new socks at Target in the $1 section! 45 pairs!

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  snookieluvs2tan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:14 pm

FounderofGFFandBabycat wrote:2. How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?
Reading these articles on the truth of bottled water has actually not surprised me at all. I've already known that bottled water is just as good as tap and that's all she wrote (haha). I still think that it is pretty ridiculous that people still go around saying OH MY GOSH bottled water is so much healthier for you but in reality its not and what they are tasting is "added minerals for pleasure of the taste buds". Yes, I do think I will take full advantage of the other alternatives of drinking water because it is ridiculous to waste my moolah (money) on something that trashes oceans and kills the environment.

(I could on pull information from the second article and the video because on my computer there is such thing as emagazine)

I really hate the taste of Aquafina! I honestly don't think that bottled water tastes any better...to tell you the truth, it kinda tastes like the stuff you're supposed to lick on envelopes. i don't really like that taste. It's all about that faucet water. That's how it was before we got refrigerators with water systems in them.

snookieluvs2tan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiley11 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm

earthycolors wrote:Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?

Answer:
There are many risks involved with drinking bottled water. For one, 2 out of 10 plastic water bottles are recycled, so what happens to the other 8? They get sent to landfills and sit there fer centuries until they breakdown into smaller and smaller bits that get eaten up by birds and fish, who think that it is food, the same fish we catch and eat later on. We are ultimately hurting ourselves but people just don't wanna do anything about it.

Another risk is that most plastic bottles have harmful chemicals in the shell that, if heated up, can leak into the water we end up drinking. Those chemicals are linked to a higher risk for breast and prostate cancer. Just another reason to cut down on the bottled water.

Even another reason is that most bottled water is only tap water that's been put through a small purification process then poured into bottles and shipped around the world for $1.50 a bottle. Why pay $1.50 for tap water in a store in a pre-determined amount when there's tap water at home for free in any amount. It all seems kinds dumb to me.

And now the healthier alternatives for you and the environment. Bringing your own tap water in a reusable bottle will reduce the amount of plastic bottles in landfills dramatically. If everybody does that, it'll stop the increasing number of bottles in landfills dead in its tracks. But, of coarse, not everybody is going to stop wasting money on bottled water and switch to tap because bottled water has a slightly better taste than tap. And though that may be true, that's why we have filters for tap water faucets. You can achieve that same bottled water taste right from your own sink and save hundreds of dollars a year at the same time. Isn't that lovely? Just getting tap water instead of bottled water can reduce the percentage in the U.S. for breast cancer and prostate cancer. Exclamation If that's not enough to get you in your car to the nearest dollar store for a re-usable bottle, then here's another fact. MORE BOTTLES, LESS BABIES! Shocked . That's right men, bottles also have a chemical in them that if heated (let's say by practicing in a field on a hot day then going for your slightly warm bottle of water afterwards), can actually lower your sperm count. If you were doubting me before, you probably look like this now silent if not this pale . Think about it...

I agree, people are spending way too much money on bottled water that the bottle that just ends up in a dump or landfill because they are to lazy to recycle the bottles which is all bad...then the plastic would end up in the ocean or in the Garbage Patch.....the fish will eat it and the birds will eat it as well anand then they will die and the fish will have the plastic in them and we eat them and the plastic goes unnoticed and we will get sick....
smiley11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  animalluver on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 pm

GummyBearLove wrote:Reading these articles has defiantly changed my opinion about drinking bottled water. I mean of course im not going to say i will never ever drink bottled water every again. But i will be smart about it. 1st I don't buy on a day to day basis anyway. Why spend money on a bottle of water (which most of the money is for the plastic anyway) and only use it once, and i have a whole sink in the kitchen. Why not after use put more water in it and throw it in the freezer for some other time? According to one of the articles we read..."This week, the EPI released new data that shows that manufacturing the 29 billion plastic bottles used for water in the United States requires the equivalent of more than 17 million barrels of crude oil."... Why burn unnecessary crude oil? what will happen if we cut down on the amount of bottled water we drink as humans. And granted in some homes in the united states, the only water nearby the house is contaminated so they have no other choice, but why not reuse those same bottles for other liquids? I think more people should just buckle down and buy reusable insulated bottles, which are generally larger anyway. Although it is convenient to buy bottled water, why waste money. Its a RECESSION..!! Very Happy ..but really though..if using a plastic bottle simply recycle. its not that hard. Make America clean again. REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE..say it with me...REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE...gotta love where you live Exclamation

I can honestly say I agree with everything you said. Like, forreal you covered everything I thought. It is a recession, and buying a bunch of bottled water is a WASTE! And actually, did you know that its bad to put your water bottles in the freezer, because the chemicals in your freezer don't mix well with the plastic bottle, and can actually harm your body. Before I watched/read the things for this week, I drank bottled water ALLLLL the time, but like you said, now we know how to be smart about it Smile

animalluver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Youre cool lol

Post  FounderofGFFandBabycat on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am

[/quote]The movie we watched in class made me feel so awful. Like i just killed a person with my bare hands. The lack of water there made me start cutting back on water at home and work. [/quote]

Oh my I am completely proud of you because you have been so impacted by the worlds environment. Wow it is amazing how someone could be willing to change and notice their effect just by being notified about what is going on. You give me hope on everyone becoming more conscious about the environment and being able to change my own old habits.
FounderofGFFandBabycat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top