3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  iluvowls on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

The video and articles said that bottled water was simply just tap water from certain counties. Although this may be true, they also mentioned that purified bottled water still went through purification. Personally, I love bottled water. This doesn't change my opinion on the taste or freshness of it. Of course the water is not going to free of bacteria. I definitely can taste a difference between bottled and tap water. People say drinking bottled water is bad for the environment but I believe it is ok if we recycle the bottles. What would happen if there was a disaster that either stopped our tap water supply or contaminated it? We would all buy bottled water. Bottled water is important for people.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Refilled bottle of water = BREAST CANCER ?!!

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Reading these articles changed my attitude about drinking bottled water ALOT. I always thought that bottled water was much better than tap water, but from the reading I see that wasn't true. Both contains unsafe chemicals but bottled water has way more. Including the natural chemicals from the water in the bottle, extra chemicals come from the manufactors who process the water, and the actual bottle itself. I never stopped to think that the plastic bottle I was drinking out of could put me at a high risk of getting things such as breast cancer just from refilling it. That alone made me start thinking twice about drinking out of a plastic bottle again. another fact that changed my attitude about drinking bottled water was the cost. Not ever really careing or being aware, I never realized that we spend so much money on "fancy" TAP WATER. Ridicolous right ??
I do think I will take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. This is because I do not want to increase my risk of getting cancer at all and I don't see the need to spend the need to waste money on a product thats avaliable to me everyday for free.

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Im disgusted.

Post  calientelabios234 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 am

Before I read the articles and the saw the video, I had some knowledge of bottled water thingy. But I did not know it was this bad. When I first heard about it I did not really give it any attention but now that I have read things in depth it has change my attitude 180 degrees. The companies that produce bottled water mislead the consumers that bottled water is best but it is not and it is not good for the environment with all the plastic bottles. Personally I will try to convince my parents to get a filter...we used to have one but I do not know what happened to it. But I am willing to use alternate sources of water. As of the companies that sell bottled water they need to become extinct!!!!!!!!!! cyclops tongue

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Suga-Mama wrote:The bottled water controversy has been going on for a long time, and perosnally tap water had never bothered me. I had always thought bottled water was better though, but now I see that it is no different from tap water. Also, after hearing that bottled water can have harmful effects on the human body, it just seems like a waste to even sell bottled water at all.
I agree with you. I'm not afraid to drink tap water either. I think it taste the same as bottled water. I think we should stop selling water bottles.

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  violinist13 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:49 pm

iluvowls wrote: Personally, I love bottled water. This doesn't change my opinion on the taste or freshness of it. Of course the water is not going to free of bacteria. We would all buy bottled water. Bottled water is important for people.
I think you should try tap water when your out of town or when your at home. It taste the same. What do we all use to take medicine? We all use tap water. So I don't think we all think bottled water is important for use. So tap water can't taste that bad

violinist13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Richiee12 wrote:
My mom buys a 24 pack of Ice Mountain bottled water every 2 weeks. It seems to have got my family hooked. But after reading the article, I might just have to try to avoid drinking the bottled water now. Its no better than our tap water and it actually harms our environment from the plastic being used. So to decrease the amount of plastic being used and to conserve energy, I'm converting back to tap water, UNLESS bottled water just is either already cold, or is available for me at quick access.

I think I will start doing the same because I usually only drink bottled water when it is handy but now that I see the costs can add up I will try to stop drinkig it frequently and go try to find a drinking fountain instead.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gamerdude94 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Hollywood wrote:Its crazy how drinking out of the same water bottle can have serious effects on us. The plastic of the water bottles have certain chemicals in them that are released into the water when heated. Consuming these chemicals may cause cancer to some people. An alternative would be drinking out of glasses or aluminum bottles.

I feel the same way. I always thought that nothing could harm a plastic bottle and would keep a bottle of water i the car for days. I never realized that the plastic would in turn heat up an release chemicals. Ill have to be careful and remember from now on.

gamerdude94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Hollywood wrote:Its crazy how drinking out of the same water bottle can have serious effects on us. The plastic of the water bottles have certain chemicals in them that are released into the water when heated. Consuming these chemicals may cause cancer to some people. An alternative would be drinking out of glasses or aluminum bottles.

I know right, i did not think drinking out of the same water bottle could effect us at all. Im going to either refill the bottle right away so that its not hot and the chemicals cant leak out of the plastic or just stop re-using the bottled water bottles, kind of makes you cautious of if you will actually be effected later on down the road.

Yofeetstink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yofeetstink on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:
Richiee12 wrote:
My mom buys a 24 pack of Ice Mountain bottled water every 2 weeks. It seems to have got my family hooked. But after reading the article, I might just have to try to avoid drinking the bottled water now. Its no better than our tap water and it actually harms our environment from the plastic being used. So to decrease the amount of plastic being used and to conserve energy, I'm converting back to tap water, UNLESS bottled water just is either already cold, or is available for me at quick access.

I think I will start doing the same because I usually only drink bottled water when it is handy but now that I see the costs can add up I will try to stop drinkig it frequently and go try to find a drinking fountain instead.

Even if you dont want to go find a drinking fountain we can just buy the aluminum water bottles and bring those along with us because it doesnt harm our environment and its most of the time more water that can fit in those bottles anyways, but yea i agree with you i have to cut down on my use of bottled water because my household uses quite a lot also

Yofeetstink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 pm

violinist13 wrote:Water bottles are made from chemicals that when heated are released into the water. Studies have shown that these chemicals can cause cancer. You should use aluminum or bottles that say chemical free on them. Now your going to ask what if I don't like the taste of tap water. Well you can always go out and buy a filter it will make the water taste the same as bottle water. Buy using these things it cuts back on the amount of plastic that is thrown away to leave on Earth forever. We all need to cut back on using water bottles and start using our minds to save the planet from plastic.

The thing about it is, some people just either really don't care that tap water is better for us. You have people who no matter what you say they still will continue to drink water bottles. Change is something many Americans do not like, thats why its so hard for us to adapt to recycling recyclable items.

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Richiee12 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:23 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:Watching the video really opened my eyes to bottled water. It always seemed more clean to drink in my mind while the taste was no difference then tap water. I think that when companies sell to us that water is cleaner because it is sealed we automatically blieve them. This video made me start to think about other ways I could get water like the tap. It showed the differences between bottled water like drinking water which is basically tap water ina bottle. While bottles are more convenient and easier to get I think I will avoid this scam and stick to tap water from now on.

I think people just go for quality. Plus, bottled water is quick and easy to grab and go instead of holding a glass of water. I can see why some people choose bottled water. Its just going to be hard for people to switch from bottled water to tap water especially if they are already used to bottled water. They have became accustomed to the "flavor" of bottled water, and they "say" they'll be able to tell the difference. Quality is the answer. You drink tap water? Oh well I'm drinking Fiji. Razz

Richiee12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:17 pm

krazedxasylum wrote: I think that we will be better off i we just use bottle water less often, if alternatives like aluminum bottles dont work out. If we all recycle I think all of this pandimonium can be avoided.

I totally agree about getting everybody to recycle. Some people are too lazy to do so. Maybe it would be better if it was a law to recycle like in some other places. There will be commotion about a law like that, but it is for our environment and will benefit us in the long run. Smile

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm

[quote="Yofeetstink"]After i watched the videos and read the articles my view on bottled water changed quite a bit. I will most likely not drink as much bottled water and when i do i will make sure to recycle them, i definitely will make sure that it is spring water or purified water so i will at least be getting my moneys worth.quote]

Before I read the articles, I did not really know about the actual difference between those labels on the water bottles. Fortunately, when I checked our bottles at home they were spring water. They will only be taken when I am leaving the house so I do not use more than I need to anyway. I will also recycle more... and not just my water bottles, but paper and other plastic as well. bounce

aMAIZEing94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:36 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:I found that the bottles are made with a lighter weight plastic that contains a chemical that can leach out and cause cancers. I will definitely take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. My family has a filter but we never use it. Now, instead of just grabbing a bottle from the fridge, I will get my water from there. I will take these alternatives because, even though they may not be as convenient, they help the environment... and my mom's wallet seeing as she will be able to spend less money on them. Laughing

I agree with you on that because i always reused my plastic bottles but now i just use my water bottle. The chemicals that can leach out of the bottle are not good for me nor my family so I passed the word onto my siblings and other family members. In order for us to make a change about the way we waste water we have to spread the word and it starts with us. sunny

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tweetywizard on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 pm

violinist13 wrote:Now your going to ask what if I don't like the taste of tap water. Well you can always go out and buy a filter it will make the water taste the same as bottle water. Buy using these things it cuts back on the amount of plastic that is thrown away to leave on Earth forever. We all need to cut back on using water bottles and start using our minds to save the planet from plastic.

I think your totally right about going out and buying a filter. But really a lot of people complain and say that tap water is nasty but to me it tastes the exact same as bottled water if not better. And you are right if we all cut back on using water bottles and doing a lot of other things, we can save our planet. Smile

tweetywizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 pm

PaulyD wrote:Just to let you know im not a big fan of bottle water to begin with and i dont see why we need bottled water when we could simply use an aluminum bottle which is better than pastic bottle which contain various chemicals that can be harmful to humans aka us and the environment. And what's worse is that when we do use plastic bottles we throw them to the ground which evenually lands in the garbage patch. Frankly i think drinking out tap is better for you and also its less expensive than buying a bottle water when you go inside your own home and get it. Or get a Breta filter and use it to filter your own water at home. Bottle water is not good for anybody and good alternative are out there we just have to think about it .
You took the words right out of my mouth PaulyD! It doesn't matter if the water we drink is bottled or tap because it's the same thing. Bottled water is just "specially filtered" tap water. And the fact that the plastic can harm your body is just another reason why I think it is a waste of time, plastic, and money. Your also right about it all ending up back in the garbage patch polluting the environment even more. Bottled water is really a waste. Rolling Eyes

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suga-Mama on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Bottled water may be harmful to your body, but I don't think you are going to die. Just stop drinking bottled water and help make you and the Earth a healthier place. Shocked Very Happy

Suga-Mama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response to a "Mr.Richie 12"

Post  timmy buck buck on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Richiee12 wrote: To be honest, I never knew bottled water and tap water really were pretty much the same. I was always told that bottled water was supposed to be better for you, seeing that it's supposed to be better purified for our body. After reading the article, I see that tap water is really better for you. Although I must say I do disagree about the taste being the same. In Ice Mountain and even Fiji water, to me it tastes fresher. Something about it leaves a fresh feeling in my mouth. Its like chewing mint gum then drinking something cold behind it. It freshens my mind, so I like to think.
Well my good sir i agree that you should stop drinking the evil bottled water. Tap is better for you and wont kill you so drink alot of it and if it aint cold or fresh enough then use this thing called ice. That will make the water colder or u should just chew some winterfresh gum to make it seem cold. Converting to tap water will help our environment and ultimately save your kids in the future. On that not it will also help your "count" so that you will be able to have kids. Also bottled water may make you feel good but look at it this way, the lack of flouride in bottled water will make your teeth rot faster which will make your teeth stink and become yellow. Im not trying to be mean im just saying tap water helps your hygiene and its alot safer for the environment, plus it keeps money greedy corporations from making money off Gods greatest life maintaining essentials.

timmy buck buck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy buck buck on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Yofeetstink wrote:After i watched the videos and read the articles my view on bottled water changed quite a bit. I will most likely not drink as much bottled water and when i do i will make sure to recycle them, i definitely will make sure that it is spring water or purified water so i will at least be getting my moneys worth. Im kinda of concerned and i felt bad when i heard that the plastic pieces were being eaten by birds and the birds were found dead with a lot of small plastic pieces in their stomach. I do not know if the plastic caused it but it still caught my attention. I was also astonished when i heard that we spend about 12 billion a year on bottled water which is ridiculous since we can just drink tap water. This made me want to drink tap water more often, the reason why i was affected so much is because i think we are wasting money with all the bottled water and im concerned about all the plastic pieces being consumed by birds and fish. All in all i think the use of bottled water should be lessened.
HEY!!! I think you should not drink bottled water anymore, period. There is no being concerned but not really trying to change your habit of bottled water. You should just stick to tap water which is way cheaper. If you still consume bottled water then you are not really helping the country save billions of dollars. I agree with one thing though, we need to stop the making of bottled water so that we can save the millions of birds who could possibly die from the decaying plastic pellets which they find so irresistable and misleadingly tasty. I dont want anymore birds to die.

timmy buck buck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:24 pm

violinist13 wrote: Buy using these things it cuts back on the amount of plastic that is thrown away to leave on Earth forever. We all need to cut back on using water bottles and start using our minds to save the planet from plastic.

It not only cuts back on the amount of plastic, but also the amount of money we spend on manufactoring a bottle of water each day. I personally think we spend way to much on tap water in in plastic. pale

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Richiee12 wrote: To be honest, I never knew bottled water and tap water really were pretty much the same. I was always told that bottled water was supposed to be better for you, seeing that it's supposed to be better purified for our body. After reading the article, I see that tap water is really better for you. Although I must say I do disagree about the taste being the same. In Ice Mountain and even Fiji water, to me it tastes fresher. Something about it leaves a fresh feeling in my mouth. Its like chewing mint gum then drinking something cold behind it. It freshens my mind, so I like to think.

I totally agree that bottled water does taste fresher and it is easy access. I had heard before that bottled water was just tap water but I think there is more to it than that. They even say in the video that purified bottled water goes through more steps to make it more pure. I will definitely start drinking tap water more but I really don't think I will stop drinking bottled water. I know that the plastic is harmful for the environment, but I recycle as much as I can and I don't feel that I am doing very much harm for the environment. I would not buy bottled water that just said drinking water though because that water does not undergo further purification.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  iluvowls on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:43 pm

penguin94 wrote:since most of the time these bottles end up in the oceans, it would be best to just get rid of them or switch to glass bottles because glass is more easliy broken down than plastic.

I agree that putting bottled water into glass bottles would be better. I don't think it would make sense to get rid of bottled water all together. When people are at stores or out in somewhere and they get thirsty, they need to be able to get water easily. Bottled water is what people want.

iluvowls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siillee-Differenter on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:53 pm

-Another alternative could be keeping the water bottle cool out of the heat if you want to reuse it. That idea though I think is kind of impossible and hard to do. Some of the chemicals that are released from the plastic cause CANCER. No Thats one thing I think everybody should fear and it should make alot of people choose alternative drinking sources.

Siillee-Differenter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:34 pm

I think that is the gimick of bottled water, and its also and in your mind because the companies make you think that you are drinking purified water but you are really drinking the same thing that comes out of your faucet. Then you continue to buy the bottled water, and it makes them millions. I think its great that you decided to go back to tap water Smile

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calientelabios234 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Suga-Mama wrote: Secondly, bottled water is not environmentally friendly. We just talked last week about how plastic pollutes the earth and wastes fossil fuels. Because plastic can be so harmful to the environment and to humans, we should stay away form it or use as little of it as possible. Either that, or scientists should figure out a way to make it safer to use and easier to dispose of. Rolling Eyes
I agree with Suga-Mama the bottled water is not helping the Earth. The way and the amount we use bottle water do not help the Great Pacific Garbage patch. I agree that we should use it sparingly or just get rid of it.

calientelabios234

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top