3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 am

Watch Good Morning America's "Bottled Water Under the Microscope" (located on My Favorites page). Then read "Bottled Water Backlash" at http://www.emagazine.com/view/?4186 and Newsweek's "Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap?" at http://www.newsweek.com/2007/12/05/is-bottled-water-better-than-tap.html . Reflect on the videos & articles, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?

2. How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?

Initial Posting: Due Wednesday, September 15 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Friday, September 17 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-15

View user profile http://hancockhonorsbio.free-forums.mobi

Back to top Go down

Tap Water

Post  Richiee12 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 pm

To be honest, I never knew bottled water and tap water really were pretty much the same. I was always told that bottled water was supposed to be better for you, seeing that it's supposed to be better purified for our body. After reading the article, I see that tap water is really better for you. Although I must say I do disagree about the taste being the same. In Ice Mountain and even Fiji water, to me it tastes fresher. Something about it leaves a fresh feeling in my mouth. Its like chewing mint gum then drinking something cold behind it. It freshens my mind, so I like to think.
My mom buys a 24 pack of Ice Mountain bottled water every 2 weeks. It seems to have got my family hooked. But after reading the article, I might just have to try to avoid drinking the bottled water now. Its no better than our tap water and it actually harms our environment from the plastic being used. So to decrease the amount of plastic being used and to conserve energy, I'm converting back to tap water, UNLESS bottled water just is either already cold, or is available for me at quick access.

Richiee12

Posts : 56
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  NorthStar on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Discuss the risks involved with drinking out of plastic bottles. What are some alternatives to putting ourselves and our environment at risk with bottled water?
After looking at all the sources you have given me I have concluded that if you drink bottled water theirs a chance that it can leach. With can cause chemicals called Bisphenol A to get into be water (in the water bottle) that can have major effect on the human body. Its known to be linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer, Type 2 Diabetes, decreased testosterone levels in males. These risk are very dangous and if i knew about these risk I wouldn't be drinking bottle water. Besides its just the same as tap water comes from the same place. Why risk drinking bottle water when you can just drink tap water without the risk of having Bisphenol A in your water.


Last edited by NorthStar on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water bottles

Post  violinist13 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Water bottles are made from chemicals that when heated are released into the water. Studies have shown that these chemicals can cause cancer. You should use aluminum or bottles that say chemical free on them. Now your going to ask what if I don't like the taste of tap water. Well you can always go out and buy a filter it will make the water taste the same as bottle water. Buy using these things it cuts back on the amount of plastic that is thrown away to leave on Earth forever. We all need to cut back on using water bottles and start using our minds to save the planet from plastic.

violinist13

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bottled or Tap?

Post  Suga-Mama on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm

The bottled water controversy has been going on for a long time, and perosnally tap water had never bothered me. I had always thought bottled water was better though, but now I see that it is no different from tap water. Also, after hearing that bottled water can have harmful effects on the human body, it just seems like a waste to even sell bottled water at all. What is the point of avoiding the chemicals in tap water when bottled water can be just as harmful, especially since you can now use special filters on your tap water to make it fresher. Secondly, bottled water is not environmentally friendly. We just talked last week about how plastic pollutes the earth and wastes fossil fuels. Because plastic can be so harmful to the environment and to humans, we should stay away form it or use as little of it as possible. Either that, or scientists should figure out a way to make it safer to use and easier to dispose of. Rolling Eyes

Suga-Mama

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water, Water, Water..

Post  tweetywizard on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Bottled water may taste good to some people but it isn't the best thing for you to drink. Bottled water has chemicals in it that can cause cancer and diabetes.It also waste a lot of fuel with making the plastic bottles. We can start using safe reuseable water bottles. Also we can use tap water, because it is better for us. Tap water has fluoride and other chemicals that are good for us. And when we stop using plastic bottles we can stop using a lot of fuel for no reason. LETS GO TAP WATER!!!!

tweetywizard

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-08-23
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  NorthStar on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 pm

tweetywizard wrote: Bottled water may taste good to some people but it isn't the best thing for you to drink. Bottled water has chemicals in it that can cause cancer and diabetes.It also waste a lot of fuel with making the plastic bottles. We can start using safe reuseable water bottles. Also we can use tap water, because it is better for us. Tap water has fluoride and other chemicals that are good for us. And when we stop using plastic bottles we can stop using a lot of fuel for no reason. LETS GO TAP WATER!!!!

I agree with what your saying tweetywzard. If we used filters in our water faults that we drink out of and not drink out of Bottle water. We can help reduce the amount of plasic that is produced on a worldwide scale and help save the planet from pollution. Its all a good ideas but can people adapt to change. Can people stop their adiction to bottle water??? ITS ALL UP TO US

NorthStar

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

KEEP TAP WAUTA ,KILL BOTTLED WAUTA!!!!

Post  timmy buck buck on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Before reading the articles I thought it was ok to drink bottled water. BOY WAS I IGNANT'. I only used to drink bottled water over my grandmas or when I was next to a store and needed water as opposed to just finding a near by water fountain. But for the most part I prefer tap water anyway when im at home or at someones house. The articles also helped me see how bad tap water really is and changed my whole view on the drinking of bottled water. I know now that it is not ok and when i go to my grandmas im going to demand that she and my grandpa stop buying bottled water. I say this because in the article by Melissa Knopper it states that in order to make bottles for bottled water you need to use 15 milion barrels of oil per year just to make all the water bottles found in the U.S. today. This is a waste of fossil fuels considering that the water found in the so called "purified water bottle" is actually proven to be less nourishing than tap water that comes from a fuacet. Tap water that comes from a faucet has flouride and other chemicals, which are added in by the other water companies, which actually benefit human hygiene and health. On another note the article said that some bottled water companies do not even purify the water as well as the tap water distributors do. This means that some bottled water companies are lying and false advertising just to get yoiu to believe that there water is cleaner and healthier. These were the main reasons why I will not be chugging water from water bottles anymore. To prevent myself from drinking bottled water I will only drink tap water and I will not let the flashy bottles tempt me. i will also tell myself that water bottles are the devil and they are only trying to kill me faster by increasing my risk of breast and prostate cancer and my chances of not being able to reproduce. I would also buy a water filter which you can screw unto the faucet head which would save me money and save the little fishies who like to eat the evil plastic bits left behind by decayed plastic bottles which were not recycled. That is my alternative.

timmy buck buck

Posts : 43
Join date : 2010-09-01
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bottled water a risk??

Post  penguin94 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm

because i am an athelete, i drink alot of water. most of the water i drink comes from the handy dandy water bottle. according to the articles and video, drinking out of water bottles is not safe. they contain various chemicals that, in a certain concentration, can be harmful to humans. also, when people are finished with the bottles, they throw them on the ground like in the article with the kids at the soccer game. they would leave their empty bottles on the ground and then one day, a dad of one of the players brought a cooler of tao water and they refilled their bottles. some places, like canada say that drinking out of the tap is a better way to drink water because it is less expensive and because they think that the companies selling bottled water are a sham. in the video, it said that the companies often got their water from "municipal" areas, meaning nearby. i think that the best solution is just to use tap water. it costs less and you dont have to worry about all of the "chemicals" because it has already been purified by a trustworthy source. also, it will cut back on the plastic used to make the bottles. since most of the time these bottles end up in the oceans, it would be best to just get rid of them or switch to glass bottles because glass is more easliy broken down than plastic.


Last edited by penguin94 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : finish answering question)

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More Tap For Me!

Post  aMAIZEing94 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Reading these articles on the truth about bottled water has changed my attitude about drinking them. I already knew it was not good to reuse the bottles but i did not really know why. I found that the bottles are made with a lighter weight plastic that contains a chemical that can leach out and cause cancers. I will definitely take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. My family has a filter but we never use it. Now, instead of just grabbing a bottle from the fridge, I will get my water from there. I will take these alternatives because, even though they may not be as convenient, they help the environment... and my mom's wallet seeing as she will be able to spend less money on them. Laughing

aMAIZEing94

Posts : 65
Join date : 2010-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THERES ALWAYS SOMETHING!!!!

Post  Flipper on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 am


Drinking bottled water is not good for you or the environment. There are very few positive side affects of drinking bottle water. Bottled water is convienient and in some cases cleaner. But, in most cases bottled water is not what you think it is. The most common perception of bottled water is clean, and pure. On the bottle you drink out of it will say purified, spring water, or municipal. Purified is usually the best. Spring water isnt always the most accurate water. I definately isn't purely spring water! And municipal water is simply tap water. A lot of the bottled water people buy come from a faucet. So maybe we should try alternatives like using aluminum bottles and filling it with the tap you have been buying! And if you do buy bottled water, how about you RECYLE!?

After reading these articles I don't really have an interest in drinking bottled water. I don't feel that I am getting any good out of purchasing it. When the oppurtunity arises I will practice recycling and I won't drinkbottled water. Apparently, it is more harmful to drink bottled water than it is tap water. If bottled water wasn't made of plastic, it would be a lot better for the environment and us. There would be less plastic pieces in the Pacific Ocean and a lower cancer count in America. Things need to change and recycling, and using different kinds of water bottles( aluminum) is a good start.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Flipper on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am

penguin94 wrote:since most of the time these bottles end up in the oceans, it would be best to just get rid of them or switch to glass bottles because glass is more easliy broken down than plastic.

I disagree with that. You should just recycle that also! Glass isn't any better! It is also pollution and it is not good for ocean life. Plus, using glass bottles in a sport like environment? Not the best of ideas... Cool

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whats next canned air?

Post  gamerdude94 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Watching the video really opened my eyes to bottled water. It always seemed more clean to drink in my mind while the taste was no difference then tap water. I think that when companies sell to us that water is cleaner because it is sealed we automatically blieve them. This video made me start to think about other ways I could get water like the tap. It showed the differences between bottled water like drinking water which is basically tap water ina bottle. While bottles are more convenient and easier to get I think I will avoid this scam and stick to tap water from now on.

gamerdude94

Posts : 61
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BOTTLED WATER REALLY?

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 pm

2. How has reading these articles on the truth about bottled water changed your attitude about drinking bottled water? Explain. Do you think you will take advantage of any of the alternatives to drinking bottled water? Why or why not?

i am not going to drink bottle water anymore. Now that I know what it is doing to the world and how it can harm us I dont think I will drink bottle water again.i will use different alternatives for drinking water. Such as useing other ways to carry water around with me, and having a water bottle that I can refill without getting sick. I dont think I should be the only one to stop using water bottles people all together should stop or at least reduce the use of water bottles. I mean what really is the difference in the water? Why go pay more than a dollar for water when it comes free to your house of ven a water fountain. So yes i will fid some other way to kep water with me other than using water bottles.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:50 pm

gamerdude94 wrote:Watching the video really opened my eyes to bottled water. It always seemed more clean to drink in my mind while the taste was no difference then tap water. I think that when companies sell to us that water is cleaner because it is sealed we automatically blieve them. This video made me start to think about other ways I could get water like the tap. It showed the differences between bottled water like drinking water which is basically tap water ina bottle. While bottles are more convenient and easier to get I think I will avoid this scam and stick to tap water from now on.

First i should say I love your title.... lol!
now my eyes where open to the use of bottle water too. i believe that the water companies do advertise thier water and make them seem of something they are not. YOUR RIGHT TO STICK TO TAP....

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  tw33tybirdn3rd on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:Reading these articles on the truth about bottled water has changed my attitude about drinking them. I already knew it was not good to reuse the bottles but i did not really know why. I found that the bottles are made with a lighter weight plastic that contains a chemical that can leach out and cause cancers. I will definitely take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water. My family has a filter but we never use it. Now, instead of just grabbing a bottle from the fridge, I will get my water from there. I will take these alternatives because, even though they may not be as convenient, they help the environment... and my mom's wallet seeing as she will be able to spend less money on them. Laughing

HEY HOW NUCH ARE ONE OF THOSE FILTERS LOL
But your right about the saving money by not buying water bottles. maybe other people will follow the same thing and just put water bottle companies out of buisness. i have never heard of getting sick off of a water bottle so i would say this is all new to me but it is great information and and we should use the alernatives.

tw33tybirdn3rd

Posts : 46
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

una problema

Post  penguin94 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:39 pm

timmy buck buck wrote: I know now that it is not ok and when i go to my grandmas im going to demand that she and my grandpa stop buying bottled water. I say this because in the article by Melissa Knopper it states that in order to make bottles for bottled water you need to use 15 milion barrels of oil per year just to make all the water bottles found in the U.S. today. This is a waste of fossil fuels considering that the water found in the so called "purified water bottle" is actually proven to be less nourishing than tap water that comes from a faucet.

I know that you want to make a change, and i agree with you that we do, but flat out telling people isnt going to change much and it might even cause some problems. you should take small steps at a time. this will take a while for it to have an affect, but it would be better than having to deal with an unnecessary arguement.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

making the best of it

Post  penguin94 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:43 pm

aMAIZEing94 wrote:Reading these articles on the truth about bottled water has changed my attitude about drinking them. I already knew it was not good to reuse the bottles but i did not really know why. I found that the bottles are made with a lighter weight plastic that contains a chemical that can leach out and cause cancers. I will definitely take advantage of the alternatives to drinking bottled water.

i too knew that water bottles could be harmful if you reused them, but when you are an athlete/ dont have enough money to get another one and there isnt a nearby water fountain, you basically have no choice. putting public water fountains on school campus like in parks might help this, but the water bottle companies would fight that as hard as they can because they would loose profits. so i guess we are all just gonna have to buckle down and make the best of it.

penguin94

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-08-19
Age : 22
Location : everywhere :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Yofeetstink on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 pm

After i watched the videos and read the articles my view on bottled water changed quite a bit. I will most likely not drink as much bottled water and when i do i will make sure to recycle them, i definitely will make sure that it is spring water or purified water so i will at least be getting my moneys worth. Im kinda of concerned and i felt bad when i heard that the plastic pieces were being eaten by birds and the birds were found dead with a lot of small plastic pieces in their stomach. I do not know if the plastic caused it but it still caught my attention. I was also astonished when i heard that we spend about 12 billion a year on bottled water which is ridiculous since we can just drink tap water. This made me want to drink tap water more often, the reason why i was affected so much is because i think we are wasting money with all the bottled water and im concerned about all the plastic pieces being consumed by birds and fish. All in all i think the use of bottled water should be lessened.

Yofeetstink

Posts : 37
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I dont wanna die yet...!

Post  Hollywood on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Its crazy how drinking out of the same water bottle can have serious effects on us. The plastic of the water bottles have certain chemicals in them that are released into the water when heated. Consuming these chemicals may cause cancer to some people. An alternative would be drinking out of glasses or aluminum bottles.

Hollywood

Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Hollywood on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm

tweetywizard wrote: Bottled water may taste good to some people but it isn't the best thing for you to drink. Bottled water has chemicals in it that can cause cancer and diabetes.It also waste a lot of fuel with making the plastic bottles. We can start using safe reuseable water bottles. Also we can use tap water, because it is better for us. Tap water has fluoride and other chemicals that are good for us. And when we stop using plastic bottles we can stop using a lot of fuel for no reason. LETS GO TAP WATER!!!!

i agree with what you are saying but its not the bottled water that has chemicals in it, its the plastic. So if the bottle is not heated or in a heated environment it may be safe but not always. Otherwise i completely agree with you. Smile

Hollywood

Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thats not all!

Post  Flipper on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Hollywood wrote:Its crazy how drinking out of the same water bottle can have serious effects on us. The plastic of the water bottles have certain chemicals in them that are released into the water when heated. Consuming these chemicals may cause cancer to some people. An alternative would be drinking out of glasses or aluminum bottles.

The chemicals being released into the water isnt the only problem. I hope you realize that bottled water effects the environment too. And we can get cancer and disease from sea food due to all of the plastic fish eat from broken down plastic in the Pacific. To me, the best way to stop all of this is to recycle.

Flipper

Posts : 42
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  krazedxasylum on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Bottled water can be very dangerous to the environment and the human race. The average American does not recycle and that takes a serious toll on the fish in our environment. The fish eat the plastic and we eat the fish. Ultimately, we all end up sick and in pain. Bottled water also affects us negatively just by drinking out of the bottle. The plastic in which the bottle is made, contains many harmful substances that have said to be cancerous. I think that we will be better off i we just use bottle water less often, if alternatives like aluminum bottles dont work out. If we all recycle I think all of this pandimonium can be avoided.

krazedxasylum

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

bottled water bonanza

Post  RylesTuesday on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 pm

i've always really known from reading and other things that tap water is just the same as bottled water. and i've known that the plastic bottles used to contain bottled water will not decompose and is bad to throw out. but the impact really hit me when we talked in class and after watching the videos and reading the articles. we really should drink tap water in glasses or other non plastic containers. drinking out of bottled water can cause health problems down the road. i mean sure, i'm not really worried about that part i guess because it doesn't seem all that important but throwing them out and polluting the earth does. we shouldn't drink bottled water because the plastic really doesn't decompose. it doesn't go ANYWHERE. breaking down won't help. it will just be in pieces that will stay like that forever. think of some of those animals that eat the plastic and die Sad risks to using bottled water can be health related, and can hurt animals and we will trash the planet if we don't cut down. i agree with Grumbles when he says We're a mobile society, so there will always be a need for bottled water," he says. "[But] tap water is a tremendous bargain." because bottled water isn't just going to stop being drank. there will always be people who will want it. but we should at least cut down. it's not hard to take a glass and fill it up with water and then drink it. i thought of a solution while reading this too. why can't we drink water out of cans like soda? i mean that's weird to think of and i'm not saying we should if there are serious reasons to why that can't be done but yeah.
reading these articles hasn't changed my outlook on bottled water because i knew it wasn't good but it has got me more interested in alternative ways and will make me think next time i grab money to buy some water. i think i will start using my non plastic water bottles that i have like the nalgene bottles and stuff like that to store water for drinking. i have a filter on my fridge that takes tap water and does something with it and i always just drink that. is that good? or is that like wasting energy or something. haha i don't know but i will definitely not waste my money on bottled TAP water again. plus i'm tired of water bottle trash filling up my car Smile

RylesTuesday

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bottle water and Tap.Whats the difference?

Post  PaulyD on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Just to let you know im not a big fan of bottle water to begin with and i dont see why we need bottled water when we could simply use an aluminum bottle which is better than pastic bottle which contain various chemicals that can be harmful to humans aka us and the environment. And what's worse is that when we do use plastic bottles we throw them to the ground which evenually lands in the garbage patch. Frankly i think drinking out tap is better for you and also its less expensive than buying a bottle water when you go inside your own home and get it. Or get a Breta filter and use it to filter your own water at home. Bottle water is not good for anybody and good alternative are out there we just have to think about it .

PaulyD

Posts : 14
Join date : 2010-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3rd Hour Discussion Board - Bottled Water Controversy

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:42 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum